PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Shellyamc
09-09-2009, 02:46 PM
If you were taking an almost 4 and almost 2 year old to Disney World.

Would you make the countdown and let them in on it. :unsure:

Would you hint and then let them know on the way :yes:

or

Would you lie lie lie and not tell them until they are on POC :lol:

Slowhand
09-09-2009, 02:50 PM
I think that it would be a good idea to keep it from them until you were actually checking in at the airport if you can hold back until then!

Dawn
09-09-2009, 05:21 PM
There's no way I'd be able to keep it a secret. :mental:

Mari
09-09-2009, 05:26 PM
ummm....

I think I would let them know.... but no very far in advance, maybe 3-5 days before and then make a countdown.... otherwise it will feel like an eternity!!!

Rosie0610
09-09-2009, 05:48 PM
Hmmm, I think it would be fun to plan with Katelyn and Marc.

But I love the surprise videos on Youtube!

Maybe you can surprise them at one month to go? Then they can countdown for 30 days??

Shellyamc
09-09-2009, 06:02 PM
:mental:

Wait!! I need a poll!! I actually have something to poll about! Do I have to start another thread for that??

I like the ideas so far. Maybe 30 day wouldn't be too much..I don't know. I need more advice :surrender:

mainecoon lover
09-09-2009, 07:43 PM
I think the build up to the holiday is all part of it. Look how much fun Steven is having thinking of things and asking his mummy questions. I would perhaps not let them in on it yet. I love hearing Beth squeal with delight when we talk about her birthday holiday :)

foreverducky
09-09-2009, 09:12 PM
I would go for a week. You know how kid time is, a week is still forever and a day to them.

Shellyamc
09-09-2009, 09:50 PM
ok you are all making a lot of sense :tapnails: Lots to think about:unsure:

Tink
09-09-2009, 11:21 PM
Steven is old enough to understand the concept of time, and participate in planning and ask those great questions... etc. When we took a six year old (in July) for the preceding Christmas we sent him a back pack chock full of Disney "stuff" he would need for his trip, including a Guide to WDW (Kid's version).

I think 4 is stretching it a bit, and 2 would miss much of the planning excitement. I would guess that 30 days would be a good time frame. The 4 year old would get the concept of that length of time (especially with a visual) and the 2 year old wouldn't drive you around the bend for too long. :D :D

I'd have age appropriate things for the 4 year old to do, like color envelopes for the housekeepers tips (if you do that sort of thing). Or make those great red Xs on the calendar each night before going to bed. Perhaps pick out favorite outfits to wear, and things like that. The 2 year old could watch some classic videos (Dumbo for instance) and get into the upcoming holiday that way. :yes:

Shellyamc
09-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Steven is old enough to understand the concept of time, and participate in planning and ask those great questions... etc. When we took a six year old (in July) for the preceding Christmas we sent him a back pack chock full of Disney "stuff" he would need for his trip, including a Guide to WDW (Kid's version).

I think 4 is stretching it a bit, and 2 would miss much of the planning excitement. I would guess that 30 days would be a good time frame. The 4 year old would get the concept of that length of time (especially with a visual) and the 2 year old wouldn't drive you around the bend for too long. :D :D

I'd have age appropriate things for the 4 year old to do, like color envelopes for the housekeepers tips (if you do that sort of thing). Or make those great red Xs on the calendar each night before going to bed. Perhaps pick out favorite outfits to wear, and things like that. The 2 year old could watch some classic videos (Dumbo for instance) and get into the upcoming holiday that way. :yes:

I think you hit the nail on the head. That is just what I was thinking. I can have Katie color Disney pictures and then we can pull one off for each day until Disney! Yes, Mousekeeping envelopes and lists of rides etc.:yes:

Tink
09-09-2009, 11:32 PM
Yes. Picking out characters and learning about the concept of four parks. What is in each park (generally speaking) and deciding which places she MUST see in particular. :yes: LOTS of fun things for a four year old to do, and that will help the 2 year old. :D

luvthemouse
10-09-2009, 02:20 PM
As for your little guy, he may be terrified of the characters at that age. So you may want to get him used to the idea of a giant mouse by going to Chucky Cheese...lol!!! No seriously, that age can be a bit freaked by the characters. Just prepare yourself to not be disappointed if you have a scared little guy on your hands... Jack had a giant Mickey that we gave him when he was about a year old, so he was ok with Mickey. But not so much some of the others.. We're doing the same with Bryce for our trip in November.

Shellyamc
10-09-2009, 04:23 PM
As for your little guy, he may be terrified of the characters at that age. So you may want to get him used to the idea of a giant mouse by going to Chucky Cheese...lol!!! No seriously, that age can be a bit freaked by the characters. Just prepare yourself to not be disappointed if you have a scared little guy on your hands... Jack had a giant Mickey that we gave him when he was about a year old, so he was ok with Mickey. But not so much some of the others.. We're doing the same with Bryce for our trip in November.

Good point. We lucked out with Katelyn, she has always loved the huge characters. We took her to see the Easter bunny and she followed her around like a little puppy. I'm hoping that if we do the same with Marc he will be ok :unsure:

Disneybumble
10-09-2009, 06:10 PM
Good point. We lucked out with Katelyn, she has always loved the huge characters. We took her to see the Easter bunny and she followed her around like a little puppy. I'm hoping that if we do the same with Marc he will be ok :unsure:

and he will probably follow his Big sisters lead. I think 30 days out is a great idea. The first time we took our kids they were 3,7 and 10 . We didn't tell them until a month before. The excitement was huge .

Tink
10-09-2009, 08:56 PM
Seth is now five, soon to be six and he still will not approach the Beast. He watches all the other characters (other than Mickey or Tinkerbell- he LOVES Mickey and Tink!) for a few minutes and then approaches.

We've not ever pushed him of course, and if he doesn't want to approach, we stand and watch with him and move on.

Tinker
11-09-2009, 12:35 AM
I agree with Tink on the 30 days . Princess Katelyn could either put a Disney sticker or X off each day like a countdown . Also helps teach counting .

BevW
11-09-2009, 12:46 AM
We took the 2 two year old DGD's back in 2004 and we told them right from the beginning they were going. We made calendars, and surprise totes, and called each other and planned planned planned. It was great.