PDA

View Full Version : Change in Diet

josh.p.
22-09-2009, 05:45 PM
Hong Kong has seriously messed up my food habits.... I can't bare the thought of eating English food now :unsure:, my Mum made a roast last night and I ate less than half before feeling full and bloated.

The style of eating in England is so different, most stuff seems over-cooked and 'brown' too :yes: Our cutlerly also looks really really big compared to theirs :unsure:

It sounds really odd because before I went to Hong Kong I was used to English food, but now it seems alien to me- I can't even bare the thought of cheese (which I used to love) I am using it to my advantage though :yes:

Shellyamc
22-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Sooooo tell us what you were eating in Hong Kong!!! :D

Ursula
22-09-2009, 05:58 PM
chicken feet and preserved eggs in their shells.

josh.p.
22-09-2009, 05:59 PM
There was lot's of Tofu, Vegetables, Rice and Noodles, snacks are more savoury based or batter-based (without the sugar.) Lot's and lot's of hardly cooked veg which was really tasty, and the bowls are really small too which is good as you feel much more full. I've got pics of things that looked disgusting but where delicious that I tried.

Disneybumble
22-09-2009, 06:06 PM
The style of eating in England is so different, most stuff seems over-cooked and 'brown' too :yes:

You obviously were not around in the 70's Josh.:tongue:

Mari
22-09-2009, 07:18 PM
that sometimes happens when you travel, your stomach jusr gets just to eating differently, and also you are jetlagged so you arent hungry at normal hours, and that doesnt help

I for one ADORE English food, and its impossible to get here, so I can only dream of going back to England and eating good old pub food someday soon...

Johnie
22-09-2009, 07:49 PM
Alysia had a very similar experience when she came back home after being in Europe.

Jodie
23-09-2009, 10:07 AM
Would a few stir-fry's help ease you back in?

Tink
23-09-2009, 12:06 PM
The Chinese culture in general eats much less meat based protien, and that will alter the way your body processes food in general.

The vegetables are bulk, and fiber and will of course make you feel full. They are processed more efficiently by the body, too. :yes:

Take your new found diet changes and run with them! If you want to eat in a more Asian manner, that's fine. In this day and age it's usually not too hard to recreate dishes that are found in Asian countries (barring some exotic ingredients).

Watch the sauces though. You say no sugar, and that may be the case in Hong Kong, but it most likely won't be in the UK and it certainly isn't in the US.

Same experience here. We fell in love with some foods in Ireland that can only be had there... and we long for the day we can return. :yes:

josh.p.
23-09-2009, 06:35 PM
Part 2 (http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/non-disney-trips-travels/10690-joshs-trip-hong-kong-day-2-kowloon-park-welcome-dinner-hk-university.html#post166998) of the trippy is now up :)