PDA

View Full Version : Dollars...please help!!

Rio
28-09-2009, 07:31 PM
We fly to America in 2 weeks time. we are having 5 nights in New York, 3 nights in San Francisco, 7 nights in Hawaii and 2 nights in L.A.
We are going for my daughters 21st birthday and I'm taking her to Tiffany's to buy her a bracelet as well as doing some serious shopping out there!!!
We are taking a fair bit of money with us and as the rate isn't too good at the moment, can anyone suggest the best way of doing this.
I really dont want to take a lot of dollars with me and travellers cheques are too much hassle, shall we just take sterling and change it out there ( means carrying lots of cash tho) or just use our debit cards and withdraw about $150 at a time ot just use our debit cards as we would here?
Have looked at the passport card but have been warned of hidden charges with this.
Any advice?
Love Rio

mainecoon lover
28-09-2009, 07:47 PM
Apparently Tesco were doing thier's with no charge for withdrawing from atm in USA.

Rio
28-09-2009, 07:54 PM
Apparently Tesco were doing thier's with no charge for withdrawing from atm in USA.

I saw them in Sainsburys and it said on the front of the leaflet that theres no charge for withdrawals from ATM's but on the back it said there is!!
Dont really know what to do for the best!!
Love Rio

Tink
28-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Not sure how things work from UK to US, but when we were in Ireland, we put most things on one credit card. That way we didn't have to worry overmuch. We did have some cash... we got it once we arrived.

Here we are told the best rate is to go to the ATM at the arrival airport (for us it was Shannon) and get Euro there.