PDA

View Full Version : Ladies ....do you pamper yoursself

Isafari
09-07-2008, 02:01 PM
Ladies (and gentlemen if you would like to join in) do you pamper yourself before your trip to WDW.
I think most of us have our hair cut or at least trimmed but....what else do you do?

I always have a manicure and pedicure the day before we leave. I love having pretty painted toenails in the sun!

lisaw
09-07-2008, 02:04 PM
I always get my hair cut and I always buy new knickers to take:lol:

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 02:04 PM
Hmmm....pedicure...DEFINITELY...one before and one after (that's a LOT of walking) :D There is no better feeling!!

I also tan for a couple of weeks before going, just so I have a nice base...

Johnie
09-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I usually get my hair trimmed a few weeks before I go. Then I get a pedicure (sometimes a manicure too but they don't last long on me) right before we go. Definately need a pedicure when I get home too! I also have been tanning so I am not ghastly white anymore.

I keep saying I am going to get a massage but I never seem to get around to it :confused:

Tink
09-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Not everytime before I go on holiday, but I do like to work in a pedicure. :yes: I pretty much keep regular appointments with my hairdresser, so that's not an holiday issue. :D

LOL! Love the knickers comment! :lol:

MystikPiglit
09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
I spend a whole afternoon putting on nail polish. I like to make sure it will last for the whole 2 weeks. :)

Johnie
09-07-2008, 04:06 PM
You can get nail polish to last for 2 weeks?? Do tell your secret please! I can't keep nail polish on my fingers for 2 days. I can keep it on my toes forever though

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 04:08 PM
You can get nail polish to last for 2 weeks?? Do tell your secret please! I can't keep nail polish on my fingers for 2 days. I can keep it on my toes forever though

SAME HERE!!!

YES, YES do tell your secret!!

I think I must go to the hairdresser about twice a year....so that's not really an issue....I also get my eyebrows waxed before I go on holiday....or is that too personal?

Taja
09-07-2008, 04:08 PM
Don't have time! I usually work until the end of the day (or a bit later), then scurry around trying to finish everything.

I consider myself pampered if I my cases are packed two nights before departure and I manage at least 6 hours of sleep the night before departure! :lol:

MystikPiglit
09-07-2008, 04:10 PM

Ok. :D

1st - use 2 coats of really good base. Sally Hansen range is excellent.

Then 2 coats of good polish. I use Barry M or Chanel.

Then good topcoat, again I use Sally Hansen.

Let each coat dry well before applying next.

Put on extra layer topcoat during hols if necessary.

:D

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 04:12 PM
Ok Piglit, I'm going to try that!!!

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 04:13 PM
I consider myself pampered if I my cases are packed two nights before departure and I manage at least 6 hours of sleep the night before departure! :lol:

:lol:

foreverducky
09-07-2008, 04:14 PM
I get my hair cut and dyed (those pesky grays are not going away) and I always buy new socks. :D

MystikPiglit
09-07-2008, 04:15 PM
Ok Piglit, I'm going to try that!!!

:thumbs_up:

Important bit is to use good quality products. :)

Johnie
09-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Ok. :D

1st - use 2 coats of really good base. Sally Hansen range is excellent.

Then 2 coats of good polish. I use Barry M or Chanel.

Then good topcoat, again I use Sally Hansen.

Let each coat dry well before applying next.

Put on extra layer topcoat during hols if necessary.

:D

Duly noted! Thank you!!!

I get my eyebrows waxed before I go on vacation too! My forehead is far too exposed during my holiday not too :lol:

MystikPiglit
09-07-2008, 04:25 PM
My forehead is far too exposed during my holiday not too :lol:

Dare I ask why? :lol:

Dawn
09-07-2008, 04:26 PM
I always buy a new toothbrush. Does that count as pampering?

Johnie
09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
:oops: bangs hide a great deal. I keep the underneath part plucked pretty good but above the eyebrow can be a mess sometimes

Taja
09-07-2008, 04:28 PM
I always buy a new toothbrush. Does that count as pampering?

Absolutely! Sometimes we have to take pampering as it comes! :lol:

Tink
09-07-2008, 04:31 PM
I recently had a facial. The woman asked me if I wanted my eyebrows "done." I told her I've never bothered. She said, "OK. I do them for you." :confused:

NEVERagain! I nearly died! Trust me. I'll stick with my plain old eyebrows AND the skin the roots are attached to, too thank you! :eek:

New toothbrush certainly does count for pampering! :yes: I always like to buy all sorts of those little travel bits that you really don't need, but they are so cute! :D

MystikPiglit
09-07-2008, 04:32 PM
:oops: bangs hide a great deal. I keep the underneath part plucked pretty good but above the eyebrow can be a mess sometimes
Tut..tut... :lol:

Jodie
09-07-2008, 04:37 PM
In addition to the required hair cut (and dye to cover the greys!) I used to get waxed and a manicure and pedicure but I have become very adept with my epilator and nail polish and can achieve the required results myself.

I would probably rather have the pampering but cost and time mean as I can do it myself it's cheaper and easier to do at home in my own time.

:)

Jodie

Dawn
09-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Doesn't the epilator hurt like heck?:eek:

Jodie
09-07-2008, 04:40 PM

Fringe?

Jodie

Johnie
09-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Fringe?

Jodie

yes :yes:

Jodie
09-07-2008, 04:41 PM
Doesn't the epilator hurt like heck?:eek:

It used to! The pain the first few times was unimaginable but now, a few years on, it's like tickling!

Jodie

Jodie
09-07-2008, 04:42 PM
yes :yes:

Thanks!

Jodie

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 04:55 PM
I recently had a facial. The woman asked me if I wanted my eyebrows "done." I told her I've never bothered. She said, "OK. I do them for you." :confused:

NEVERagain! I nearly died! Trust me. I'll stick with my plain old eyebrows AND the skin the roots are attached to, too thank you! :eek:

*giggle* I'm cringing just thinking about it! Recently, I've been having mine "threaded" which is a bit of a different process.....it doesn't hurt *quite* as much and I like the effect a bit better....but I will say that if it weren't for the fact that they'd grow completely together if I didn't do *something* I'd certainly wouldn't do it for vanities sake...

Johnie
09-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Now what is threading exactly?

I can stand to have my left eyebrow waxed but I swear the underpart on my right side KILLS me. Then I have to go home immediately after because I look like I am wearing a red mask for the rest of the day :p

foreverducky
09-07-2008, 04:58 PM
I don't do anything to my eyebrows. :D Thank goodness

Johnie
09-07-2008, 04:59 PM
I had great eyebrows until I was almost 30. Then one day I woke up and looked like Groucho Marx!!

Tink
09-07-2008, 04:59 PM
She was so gentle at first. I didn't realize what was going on. She pressed along the brow line... little did I know what she was pressing. When she ripped that stuff off I nearly fainted! I'M SERIOUS!!!! THEN she started tweezing!!! :eek: NOPE! NOPE! NOPE! Never, ever again.

Claire
09-07-2008, 05:01 PM
I usually drag the whole family off to the barbers for a trim before we go away. Myself and Poppy usually have a colour if needed and we too always go away with new knickers a la Lisa!

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 05:08 PM
Now what is threading exactly?

I can stand to have my left eyebrow waxed but I swear the underpart on my right side KILLS me. Then I have to go home immediately after because I look like I am wearing a red mask for the rest of the day :p

Threading originated in India, is widely practiced in the Middle and Far East, and has recently started gaining popularity in the US.

Practitioners use a pure thin, twisted cotton thread which is rolled over the untidy eyebrow hairs, plucking the hair at the follicle level. Unlike tweezing where a single hair is pulled out each time, threading can remove an entire row of hair, resulting in a straighter line.

Like other methods such as plucking or waxing, threading can result in skin irritation; but since the top layers of skin are not peeled or traumatized, threading is an alternative for those with sensitive skin

Johnie
09-07-2008, 05:10 PM
And that is not more painful than waxing?

Tink
09-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Nope! Not doing that either! :eek: I am KEEPING my hairy eyebrows. :yes: They keep my eyes warm in winter. :yes:

Mags
09-07-2008, 05:21 PM
Ladies (and gentlemen if you would like to join in) do you pamper yourself before your trip to WDW.
I think most of us have our hair cut or at least trimmed but....what else do you do?

I always have a manicure and pedicure the day before we leave. I love having pretty painted toenails in the sun!

No, never - sow's ear, silk purse and all that Im afraid. :(

Margaret

BarryandCaron
09-07-2008, 05:36 PM
I have my hair highlighted, pedicure, eyebrows waxed, eyelashes tinted and manicure. No waxing this time as I've got an epilator. I quite like the sensation of having my eyebrows waxed, doesn't hurt at all. Last year I had nail extensions on my toes as well, they lasted ages.

Caron

Mags
09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
I have my hair highlighted, pedicure, eyebrows waxed, eyelashes tinted and manicure. No waxing this time as I've got an epilator. I quite like the sensation of having my eyebrows waxed, doesn't hurt at all. Last year I had nail extensions on my toes as well, they lasted ages.

Caron

Wow Caron, you are going to look very glam when we meet up in WDW. :p015:

Margaret

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Ok, I know this is going to sound weird...but no....there's something about the methodical motion of the person doing it that is just really relaxing for me....it's almost like a meditation thing...it's very rhythmic.

Johnie
09-07-2008, 05:49 PM
hmmm I may have to ask about this the next time I go....

SleepinCatz
09-07-2008, 05:51 PM
I agree with not doing the eyebrows...I had them waxed once and thank you...that was enough lol.

I dye mine and my Sons hair about 1week to 4 days before leaving...and I always try to get the nails done...but that doesn't always work out lol

BarryandCaron
09-07-2008, 05:54 PM
Wow Caron, you are going to look very glam when we meet up in WDW. :p015:

Margaret

I need all that to look even half decent Margaret.

Caron

Dawn
09-07-2008, 06:31 PM

Caron

Is this definitely Caron? Or Barry trying to keep a secret? ;)

BarryandCaron
09-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Is this definitely Caron? Or Barry trying to keep a secret? ;)

As I am as bald as a billiard ball it can't be me:lol:, but Caron says I need my eyebrows plucking as I look like Dennis Heeley:shocked025:.

Barry

BarryandCaron
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
I need all that to look even half decent Margaret.

Caron

No Comment:oops: I think I need some where to hide:gy:

Barry

Taja
09-07-2008, 07:25 PM
No Comment:oops: I think I need some where to hide:gy:

Barry

:scared004:

Here you go, Barry! :lol:

PsychoAlice
09-07-2008, 09:46 PM
Nails done, toes done, new eyeshadow, perfume, flip flops and...ummm...panties...

luvthemouse
10-07-2008, 01:12 AM
Love my pedicures!!! Holly and my Mom are hooked on them now too. Before last year's trip, the three of us went to have one. Holly is already asking if we can do it again this trip.
I do my own eyebrows thanks! Been plucking them since 7th grade. :shocked025:
I keep my hair short, so I get it cut every six weeks, with color every other appointment. (must keep grey hairs covered!!!)

PsychoAlice
10-07-2008, 04:19 AM
Oh and I wax my own eyebrows...Ive tried having someone else do it and I just wanted to punch them....

Shellyamc
10-07-2008, 05:04 AM
hair cut and eyebrows done..ALWAYS. Other than that not too much. I have never had a pedicure, but I might give into that very soon. I am going to the spa tomorrow with my best friend for the first time ever..so we will see how that goes :yes:

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 12:33 PM
OH YES....by ALL means....GIVE IN....it's a LOVELY treat!

Shellyamc
10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
OH YES....by ALL means....GIVE IN....it's a LOVELY treat!

Well you twisted my arm :lol:

I can't get one today as I already scheduled a manicure along with my facial, but I will book one for very soon :)

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Never done a facial...always afraid it will break my skin out...do you enjoy them?

Johnie
10-07-2008, 01:23 PM
I've never done a facial either. I had my makeup done professionally for my sister's wedding and my skin was broken out for a couple of weeks. I hardly ever break out.

Tink
10-07-2008, 03:26 PM
I've had a couple now, and yep. Break outs every time. :sigh; I'm probably going to give up on that part of pampering. :sigh;

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 03:30 PM
Hmmm, yeah...I don't want to be all broke out....uggy.

Tink
10-07-2008, 03:32 PM
First time was the worst. Second time I tried a different type (with different products) still problems, but not so bad, third time some, not many, and fourth, still breaking out, so I'm done. I can't do oodles of oily, greasy stuff on my face no matter what they say. :sigh; I still use soap for a cleanser so that should tell you something!

I really like spa treatments, but will not be doing facials again (unless they are something like a mudpack, ya' know)?

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Now...mud...mud I would do :D

I still wash my face with soap too...

Jon and I are going to Vermont next weekend for the Wine Festival, and we've booked massages while we're there...We discovered this spa a couple of years ago when we were up there....they do this great aromatherapy relaxation treatment before your massage....oh my it was amazing.....

Tink
10-07-2008, 04:01 PM
If you get the chance to do a Hawaiian hot stone massage, do it. It was the most incredible sensation ever! :yes: I have a "bad back" and when I was done it felt better than it had in years.

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 04:18 PM
OOOOOOHH that sounds lovely!!!! The spa we're visiting offers a "hot stone" option, although I'm not sure if there's a difference between that and a "Hawaiian" hot stone massage..is there something specific about the Hawaiian one's? When I went for my pedicure this last time I treated myself to the "spa" version because it had been a while since I'd had one...anyway, it included a hot stone calf massage....and OH.MY.GOODNESS. it was just pure heaven on earth.

josh.p.
10-07-2008, 06:54 PM
*steps out of scary girly thread*

Johnie
10-07-2008, 06:55 PM
:lol: I've seen plenty of men getting pedicures. They don't get any polish though.

Tink
10-07-2008, 07:12 PM
I don't know. The Hawaiian one used stones that were polished lava. I'll bet it was much the same thing. :yes: It is divine, isn't it?

S'okay Josh! I even see men getting manicures. :yes: No polish applied, but the nails are buffed so they are shiny. Men like to be pampered too. :yes:

luvthemouse
11-07-2008, 12:51 AM
I love facials!! I've never had a problem with break outs after one. I'm lucky that Chris' cousin is an esthetician (sp?) and I get them at a huge discount..plus extra pampering!