PDA

View Full Version : Tipping

Isafari
09-07-2008, 02:33 PM
You seem to tip just about everyone in Florida from housemaids to waiters to bellboys but...
Do you tip the barman for pouring you a drink?

MystikPiglit
09-07-2008, 02:39 PM
DH usually leaves $1-$2 per order.

Ursula
09-07-2008, 02:40 PM
Yep... $1 per drink.

keith
09-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Yep... $1 per drink.

omg no wonder I never get served when I go back to bars :lol:

Johnie
09-07-2008, 02:51 PM
Oh yeah, apparently you tip everyone around here.

Dawn
09-07-2008, 02:53 PM
Oooh don't get Keith started on tipping. :eek:

There's just two of us and we left $1 a round for 2 beers.

keith
09-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Oooh don't get Keith started on tipping. :eek:

It's ok, I'm chilled, just going with the flow :lol: I've even got into the habit of taking a load of low denomination dollar bills with me out there because I was always getting caught out not having any spare dollars for tips until we went shopping and got change.

So it's a new tip-friendly (grrrrrr) Keith :)

Tink
09-07-2008, 03:19 PM
I hate, loathe and despise the practice of tipping. :sigh;

But yes, we do tip the barkeep (usually around 15-20%) and the servers always. Servers start at 20%. If there is a problem that will interfere with the tip, we speak with the manager and let her/him know that there was an issue.

I tip my hairdresser. :sigh; I WON'T tip at counter service even if there is the "begging jar" with TIPS written on it and dollars in it. I really dislike that! There was one at the Hampton Inn this past stay! For the continental breakfast mind! NO! I did not tip.

I tip cabbies and porters too. Thank heaven Publix has a prominent no tipping policy or I'd have to tip the person who bags the groceries!

When did the US become a nation of beggars? It used to be a matter of honor that we DIDN'T buy into the tipping "culture."

Oh, and the pedicurist gets a tip too. And the facial person and the massage person. :rolleyes:

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 03:35 PM
It's ok, I'm chilled, just going with the flow I've even got into the habit of taking a load of low denomination dollar bills with me out there because I was always getting caught out not having any spare dollars for tips until we went shopping and got change.

So it's a new tip-friendly (grrrrrr) Keith

LOL....look at you...evolving!!!!

I do tip nominally....more if I engage in conversation w/ them or they refill my peanut dish :wink:

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 03:37 PM
There was one at the Hampton Inn this past stay! For the continental breakfast mind! NO! I did not tip.

Are you KIDDING me? They deserve a :slap:

Tink
09-07-2008, 03:38 PM
It's the first time I've seen it (Tarpon Springs) but it didn't impress me one bit. The company I work for uses Hilton Hotels and that was the only one available (they aren't bad though, if you book suites). I don't even like their silly breakfasts! :lol:

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 03:42 PM
hehehe then maybe you should have tipped yourself out of their little jar and bought a PROPER breakfast!

Tink
09-07-2008, 03:45 PM
:eek: LOLOL!

Johnie
09-07-2008, 03:53 PM
I hate, loathe and despise the practice of tipping. :sigh;

But yes, we do tip the barkeep (usually around 15-20%) and the servers always. Servers start at 20%. If there is a problem that will interfere with the tip, we speak with the manager and let her/him know that there was an issue.

I tip my hairdresser. :sigh; I WON'T tip at counter service even if there is the "begging jar" with TIPS written on it and dollars in it. I really dislike that! There was one at the Hampton Inn this past stay! For the continental breakfast mind! NO! I did not tip.

I tip cabbies and porters too. Thank heaven Publix has a prominent no tipping policy or I'd have to tip the person who bags the groceries!

When did the US become a nation of beggars? It used to be a matter of honor that we DIDN'T buy into the tipping "culture."

Oh, and the pedicurist gets a tip too. And the facial person and the massage person. :rolleyes:

Argh! I truly despise tipping as well. It is such a horrid custom. Oh well, I tend to overtip to compensate for the fact that I hate tipping. So I guess everyone loves me ;)

Our local grocery chain, Ukrops, has a strict no tipping policy and they carry the groceries out and load them into your car. It's one of my favorite grocery stores.

Dawn
09-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Oooh the tip jar by the till at Starbucks bugs me. And I don't feed it.

Are you supposed to tip the grocery bagger!! :oops:

Tink
09-07-2008, 04:02 PM
That's another jar I won't fill. :rolleyes:

If there isn't a no tipping policy, it's expected. :nono: That's what bugs me, the expectation.

When we were in California I tipped the Bell Captain so much, I could have spent another week at the hotel! LOL. Not quite that much, but you get the idea. He was really nice though and did any number of special requests for me. :yes:

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 04:02 PM

I guess at the end of the day it depends on who you ask....if you ask the grocery bagger, the answer is probably YES!!

Taja
09-07-2008, 04:03 PM

Only if they provide extra service, such as loading your purchases into your vehicle. Most of our grocery stores have strict no-gratuities policies. I do tip if they load something really heavy for me. It's their option to accept or refuse it (and it certainly won't make them rich!), but it makes them aware that I appreciate the assistance!

Johnie
09-07-2008, 04:04 PM
My garbage men even expect a tip! For what? Leaving my trash cans out in the street or knocked over? Yeah right :rolleyes008:

Beccaberry
09-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Oh DO NOT get me started on the GARBAGE MEN!!!!

Dawn
09-07-2008, 04:23 PM
Oh the garbage men here make more mess than they clear. This is no lie - the day after garbage collection our council send a street cleaning team over the route to clean up the mess they've made.

Remind me what I pay my taxes for?

We have a nice postman though and always give him something at Christmas.

Ursula
10-07-2008, 09:39 AM
We've found if we tip the bartender our drinks suddenly get stronger lol....

Ursula
10-07-2008, 09:41 AM
I don't tip my hairdressers... usually cos I go to different ones cos they're useless. I always get home and after brushing my hair find all their faults... :( So no... no tipping when they don't deserve it. I am still trying to find a decent hairdresser here after 7 years of living here.

Tink
10-07-2008, 12:03 PM
Isn't that the worst, Helly? :rolleyes: It took me 11 years to find someone that can do a decent job with my hair. ELEVEN years! :eek: Now I keep worrying that she's either going to give up her business or move away! :eek:

Ursula
10-07-2008, 12:15 PM
It is the worst because if you get a rotten hair do it takes ages to grow out :( plus it makes you feel awful cos you look awful and know it! lol.

Tink
10-07-2008, 12:21 PM
Too true! I have the worst hair and it is very unforgiving of mistakes. It's awful to have a chopped up mess!

Dawn
10-07-2008, 12:37 PM
My sister in law does my hair for free. And I get to slap her if she does it wrong. :evil:

Tipping on cruises is the one that gets me - they actually give you envelopes and suggested amounts?? :eek:

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 12:39 PM
I *think* the last cruise Jon and I went on, it was added automatically...at least for some of the staff.

Tink
10-07-2008, 12:42 PM
Yes, to both. They do give you envelopes and amounts and there are some cruises where the gratuity is added by the day. :yes: It's easier that way (the automatic adding). You still do tip the bartender though.

Some tours expect that too. I know friends of mine did an Ireland tour and at the end the guide and the driver expected at least $20 per person for the tip.

Ursula
10-07-2008, 12:47 PM
When I went on a flight over Angel Falls in Venezuela the pilot decided that we could either pay him to get us out of the jungle or leave us there :( We had no choice really did we? and no point complaining afterwards because believe me no one cares and no one wants to hear it... go back? NEVER again if you paid me.

Tink
10-07-2008, 12:49 PM
Oh my gosh! :eek: I would have been frightened to death. :(

Ursula
10-07-2008, 12:54 PM
We were he was very menacing :(

Dawn
10-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Wow that's what I call holding out for a tip. :eek:

keith
10-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Not quite on the same scale but we went to Kennedy Space Centre with gator tours on a rocket launch day.

The driver asked us all to get back to the coach area before the launch so we could watch from a good spot etc. We get back there and he says "ok then, my contracted day is now finished other than driving you back. So if you want to stay you better collect some tips"

Anyway the people who wanted to pay and watch outnumbered the people who wanted to mutiny, tie him naked to a tree and drive the bus back ourselves :( so he got a nice fat wad of cash :(

Tink
10-07-2008, 01:13 PM
:nono: That's disgusting.

I hope both you and Helly, Keith reported the incidents to the proper "authorities?" I know in the Mad Pilot case there may have been no one else, but that pilot's name can be made public to warn others, and the same with the Gator Tours people.

It's all just a little too blatant and scary to me.

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 01:18 PM
Anyway the people who wanted to pay and watch outnumbered the people who wanted to mutiny, tie him naked to a tree and drive the bus back ourselves

Really. I would have thought the vote would have been MUCH closer. Jeez. People don't know how to have fun anymore, do they?

keith
10-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Really. I would have thought the vote would have been MUCH closer. Jeez. People don't know how to have fun anymore, do they?

I know :( I grumbled, heck I'd even found the rope by that stage but no go.

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 01:25 PM
Well perhaps if you'd been wearing your hat and riding your mechanical...whatever....people would have been more inclined to agree with you....

keith
10-07-2008, 01:28 PM
Well perhaps if you'd been wearing your hat and riding your mechanical...whatever....people would have been more inclined to agree with you....

next time, cowboy hat, whip, the full outfit :yes:

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
See there...now you're catching on. Sometimes it's not about what you know, it's about what you're *wearing*. Women have known this secret for ages.

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 01:30 PM
And THEN all the good people can tip YOU!

keith
10-07-2008, 01:32 PM
See there...now you're catching on. Sometimes it's not about what you know, it's about what you're *wearing*. Women have known this secret for ages.

:lol: well you know us men, slow to catch on

keith
10-07-2008, 01:33 PM
And THEN all the good people can tip YOU!

yeah tip me not to wear silly outfits ever again :lol:

Beccaberry
10-07-2008, 03:03 PM
:lol: I'm a staunch fan of silly outfits :D so roll on with the Indie Jones outfit :D

Johnie
10-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Will you be available for pictures and autographs???

cathydisneynut
10-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Yes, to both. They do give you envelopes and amounts and there are some cruises where the gratuity is added by the day. :yes: It's easier that way (the automatic adding). You still do tip the bartender though.

Some tours expect that too. I know friends of mine did an Ireland tour and at the end the guide and the driver expected at least $20 per person for the tip.

DH is gonna tear up the envelope....:signs091:

When I went on a flight over Angel Falls in Venezuela the pilot decided that we could either pay him to get us out of the jungle or leave us there :( We had no choice really did we? and no point complaining afterwards because believe me no one cares and no one wants to hear it... go back? NEVER again if you paid me.

I hope when you landed you gave him a :slap: What an awful experience!

josh.p.
10-07-2008, 06:45 PM
The whole concept is a sore spot for me. It's just so darn cheeky to expect it.
I don't mind it if they have a tips jar, or if they have a sign to say 'gratuities expected' but when they add it to your bill it annoys me! :slap:
They are PAID to do their job well, a thank-you should suffice. My parents do tip everyone and anyone but It annoys me. If they gave me nice service then I'd tip them, but when it's added to the bill its annoying!

SleepinCatz
10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
We became a nation of beggars when we get paid only 1/2 of min wage and have to make the rest in tips.

As for waiters and waitresses...it's always been that way...we get paid 1/2( if we are lucky) and you make the rest up in tips. That's not in all places, just the vast majority.

As for tip jars at self serve...that's just nuts.

And having said that...I tip but ONLY when I have gotten service worthy of it. You ignore us, don't bring refills...we have to chase you down...ya get nothing from me. You really :mad: me off and then ya get a penny so you can buy a clue. I have worked too long in the waitservice industry to turn my back on bad service. I applaud WDW for taking that off the dinning plan, You should have the right to choose if you will tip or not. Just please...don't ignore the good ones..You know that one waiter or waitress that just makes the whole thing flawless and fun...let them know you understand the effort they put forth and appreciate it.

Tink
10-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Yes, that is so true. :yes: Servers make nearly nothing per hour. Their wages are their tips for the most part. Also, in this country, the IRS assumes at least a 10% tip has been given so they are taxed on that too.

I really wish the Food Industry would just pay a fair wage and be done with it. I don't want to hear how restaurants would go out of business, because I just don't believe it!

Friends of mine once miscalculated the tip (under tipped) as they were realizing it, the server threw the money at them and told them to keep it. Yeah, I'd tip that person for sure. You know they felt so bad, they gave that person a HUGE tip. :nono:

SleepinCatz
10-07-2008, 07:19 PM
She's lucky it wasn't me she threw that tip at...I cannot abide poor manners and bad service. There is no excuse for that server to behave that way. That's why ppl hate to tip, it's because of poor tempered servers like that.

You know if they were forced to post what they pay thier servers and why the servers needs tips I bet that would make them stop this underpaying crud. It should be against the law.

Ursula
10-07-2008, 11:10 PM
Ooh dear that better not happen to me....... having my tip flung back at me....

Dawn
11-07-2008, 06:11 AM
I've had change flung at me. At Epcot.:eek:

cathydisneynut
11-07-2008, 07:43 AM
What really got on my nerves is even after you give a good tip, they still hold onto the coins in your change if you pay cash. This happened more than once, even at Downtown Disney. I know it doesn't sound like much, but its the little things that can be most aggravating:mad:

Tink
11-07-2008, 12:10 PM
Another thing that some servers do that really sends me is (when paying with cash) they'll pick up the money and check and say, will you be needing change? UUUHHHH, YES. I HATE that. Nothing better than begging.

keith
11-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Another thing that some servers do that really sends me is (when paying with cash) they'll pick up the money and check and say, will you be needing change? UUUHHHH, YES. I HATE that. Nothing better than begging.

yeah how true is that, hate that!

cathydisneynut
11-07-2008, 12:16 PM

I forgot about that, it happened once and we never went back.

keith
11-07-2008, 12:18 PM
The other one is where they circle or otherwise highlight the "gratuity not included" bit and/or the "expected amounts are:"

that's guaranteed to get on my bad side too :lol:

cathydisneynut
11-07-2008, 12:34 PM
The other one is where they circle or otherwise highlight the "gratuity not included" bit and/or the "expected amounts are:"

that's guaranteed to get on my bad side too :lol:

Not had that one, it'll probably happen this holiday:(

josh.p.
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I've had change flung at me. At Epcot.:eek:
I can't believe that! Disgusting. I had a cup of coke spilt all down me at universal, the woman was really nice, gave us free drinks and a universal studios top to change into (she got the manager to deal with it) I wasn't that bothered and didn't kick up a fuss at it. THEN it happened in IOA and the woman didnt even say sorry!

I've never had that happened, bu they woud get a significantly lower tip!

Ursula
11-07-2008, 12:45 PM
I've not had anything blatant like that... guess me and DH look wrong if you know what I mean?

SleepinCatz
11-07-2008, 12:51 PM
it seems to me that these servers are not being properly trained. My trainer taught me that the customers comfort was #1...some ppl don't like someone hovering around...others want you right at thier elbow. You learn how to read your csrs...then treat them with respect and curtesy. We were taught to NEVER ask if they want change, to bring them what was owed to them and Never hint at a possible tip. I had days where I would have 10 tables and only make about $2 in tips, but I also had days where I made $200 on one table. NEVER once did I show disrespect to a customer for any reason! I am blessed in that I learned my trade and never sufferred the "penny" tip.

Tink
11-07-2008, 12:57 PM
I think that is very true, 'Catz. Lack of proper training is quite often the case. We see that with WDW too. Since they've reduced the length of training for their new CMs you can really see a difference in the quality of the service level.

I had a discussion with a Lowe's manager just the other day; suggesting that one of their employees needed more training.

keith
11-07-2008, 01:02 PM
it seems to me that these servers are not being properly trained. My trainer taught me that the customers comfort was #1...some ppl don't like someone hovering around...others want you right at thier elbow. You learn how to read your csrs...then treat them with respect and curtesy. We were taught to NEVER ask if they want change, to bring them what was owed to them and Never hint at a possible tip. I had days where I would have 10 tables and only make about $2 in tips, but I also had days where I made $200 on one table. NEVER once did I show disrespect to a customer for any reason! I am blessed in that I learned my trade and never sufferred the "penny" tip.

I wish everyone were like that!

The problem is that the whole tipping thing is a spiral of doom :mad: Can start with a nasty customer as easily as a nasty server but either way, they treat the next server/customer poorly because of the last experience and in return get treated badly themselves and before long every customer is prejudged as a poor tipper and every server prejudged as just out for the money :(

One of the servers who ringed the "Gratuity expected" bit was at Ruby Tuesdays at the florida mall. She'd had to take our order about three times because she was talking to her friend whilst asking us what we wanted. I asked if they had a bottle of a specific wine "dont know" :rolleyes008: well can you find out? so then we get the "uh-huh" treatment. Everything we say it just gets "uh huh" in a disinterested tone. She goes away, comes back and says "we dont have that wine but we have another red".... well what type is it? "red" any more information? <silence> can you perhaps bring the bottle so we can see it then? "no we're not allowed to bring it out unless you buy it". I mean come on? then end of the meal and having not seen her the whole meal, not even checked if everythings ok, she hovers waiting for the tip. GRRRRR

foreverducky
11-07-2008, 01:06 PM
Tink, you were in Tarpon Springs and didn't swing by? I'm hurt, we could have had lunch, you were so close. ;):hug2:

Don't get me started on tipping. I hate tipping, especially my hairdresser, I'm already paying a bundle for service.

I think the US should just pay everyone a working/living wage and not expect people to survive on tips.

Why should we tip for a service we're already paying for???????? :rolleyes2:

Tink
11-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Oh NO! You live near Tarpon Springs? :( Phooey.

You've sure had some wicked storms out there lately! :eek:

Yeah, Keith that's my favorite. A poor server, who then turns on the brilliance at the end of the meal. Seems as though there is some "training" out there that says if you are cheerful and smile brightly during the last thirty seconds of contact with your customer you'll get a big tip. Too bad I have a longer memory.

My neice (the one who is now an attorney) was a server for a long time while going to school. She was one of the wonderful ones, and I feel as though I have a good idea of how hard it is to be a server. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to expect shoddy service. :nono: Done with that. Too many places to take my money, you know? Especially now when business is clearly off for many of the restaurants. No way am I putting up with lousy service and then returning. :(

Isafari
11-07-2008, 01:18 PM
:eek3: Gosh.....I only wanted to know if I should be tipping the barman for pouring me a drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

Tink
11-07-2008, 01:19 PM
LOLOLOL! Well, you sure did get an earful, didn't you Isafari! :D Started quite a popular thread here, you did. :yes: :hug1:

SleepinCatz
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
We have "fired" alot of resturants here in Baton Rouge. You get 3 shots at us...on the third one if you fail you are fired!

Ursula
11-07-2008, 01:21 PM
I do admit that as a Brit I have forgotten but DH has soon picked it up and dealt with it. We forget because we don't have to do it here. So when we do genuinly forget it gives all Brits a bad name.

keith
11-07-2008, 01:22 PM
:eek3: Gosh.....I only wanted to know if I should be tipping the barman for pouring me a drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:lol:

been a great and useful thread though! :yes:

Ursula
11-07-2008, 01:23 PM

Just don't ask about reclining ;)

keith
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM

:rofl:

cathydisneynut
11-07-2008, 01:26 PM

not going to ask....not going to ask....;)

Ursula
11-07-2008, 01:28 PM
*pokes* oh go on.... you know you want to...

Beccaberry
11-07-2008, 01:35 PM
I would certainly ask....but since I've no idea what it even means.....I might put my foot in my mouth....

Isafari
11-07-2008, 01:37 PM

Is that a dare!!!:lol:

cathydisneynut
11-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Is that a dare!!!:lol:

sounds like it!!:lol:

Taja
11-07-2008, 04:31 PM
Have to admit, I'm with Tink when a server asks if I want my change. Of course I do! Good grief!

I gave a decent server at ESPN a lower tip last December because she asked that. I had planned on 25% since I don't drink alcohol and I know they make a lot of their tips on drinks. Went down to about 18%.

I hate doing it, but they really need to learn not to ask how I want to spend my money!

keith
11-07-2008, 04:45 PM
Mind you, we talk about tipping, how bad is THIS one.

Went to a local restaurant, server we've known for MANY years and we tip him EXTREMELY well, like 40% every time.

So I take some clients out and DW is with us. Few hundred quid bill at the end.

I go round the corner to pay, and I hand him his tip. Right into his hand so he doesnt have to share it because he's pleaded with us on other occasions that since he waits on us, why should he split it with 10 other servers. (perhaps thats mean, I dont know but ok, I guess I saw his point)

So he says thanks and leaves. Later in the car DW says how come you didn't give him his tip when you paid? I said I did why? She said well he came round, and I said "have you seen Keith?" (as in has he taken care of your tip etc.) he says no, so she gave him ANOTHER tip and he didnt say a word.

I've tried to rationalise this.. perhaps he genuinely didnt understand, didnt want to embarass by saying "oh no it's ok thanks, your husband has taken care of it" or something but end of the day, I think he knew exactly what he was doing :(

cathydisneynut
11-07-2008, 04:51 PM
Mind you, we talk about tipping, how bad is THIS one.

Went to a local restaurant, server we've known for MANY years and we tip him EXTREMELY well, like 40% every time.

So I take some clients out and DW is with us. Few hundred quid bill at the end.

I go round the corner to pay, and I hand him his tip. Right into his hand so he doesnt have to share it because he's pleaded with us on other occasions that since he waits on us, why should he split it with 10 other servers. (perhaps thats mean, I dont know but ok, I guess I saw his point)

So he says thanks and leaves. Later in the car DW says how come you didn't give him his tip when you paid? I said I did why? She said well he came round, and I said "have you seen Keith?" (as in has he taken care of your tip etc.) he says no, so she gave him ANOTHER tip and he didnt say a word.

I've tried to rationalise this.. perhaps he genuinely didnt understand, didnt want to embarass by saying "oh no it's ok thanks, your husband has taken care of it" or something but end of the day, I think he knew exactly what he was doing :(

Thats just awful Keith! Are you tempted to go back and not tip at all?

keith
11-07-2008, 04:56 PM
Thats just awful Keith! Are you tempted to go back and not tip at all?

I was tempted to drive right back and never mind tipping, have some serious words but as always, DWs are very good at keeping the peace and I wasn't allowed :(

I'd much rather have given him a chance to explain but chances are now I simply won't go back at all.

When I think of the waitresses at local pub style places who I've given the odd few pounds to as a thanks and they've been great with us and really seemed to appreciate it, it just makes it worse when someone like that betrays our trust :(

Johnie
11-07-2008, 05:52 PM
I apparently tip very well ;) seems we get the same waiter every time we go somewhere....so then i get to know them and feel the need to tip even more. What a quandry :lol:

Ursula
11-07-2008, 07:19 PM
I was tempted to drive right back and never mind tipping, have some serious words but as always, DWs are very good at keeping the peace and I wasn't allowed :(

I'd much rather have given him a chance to explain but chances are now I simply won't go back at all.

When I think of the waitresses at local pub style places who I've given the odd few pounds to as a thanks and they've been great with us and really seemed to appreciate it, it just makes it worse when someone like that betrays our trust :(

I would have gone back then when it came time for the tip I would say to him... you've already had your tip... you got it last time I was here.

keith
11-07-2008, 07:20 PM
I would have gone back then when it came time for the tip I would say to him... you've already had your tip... you got it last time I was here.

yeah good thinking really. Means he'd know I hadnt forgotten

cathydisneynut
11-07-2008, 07:22 PM

Me and DH too!

SleepinCatz
11-07-2008, 07:22 PM
Tell ya what...You let me know where you're gonna be and I will put my waitress apron back on and teach em a thing or too....

That's just shameful behaviour.