PDA

View Full Version : Hmm Photo Booth has gone from my macapps

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 10:01 AM
Is this another snow leopard thingy??

keith
07-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Is this another snow leopard thingy??

When you call up apps, there's a VERY FAINT scroll bar now. Scroll down in that window and you'll find the missing apps :)

In other words whereas you used to see all the apps in that apps window, now you only see the first so many and must scroll down to see the rest.

Bonkers and I've had phone calls/texts from apple owning friends about it ever since the release

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 10:07 AM
d'oh

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 10:08 AM
thing is when I searched in the search function and tried to boot it from the help wndow it said it wasn't installed

keith
07-10-2009, 10:13 AM
have you found it?

I know what you mean, it's bizarre. I've told apple through the developers network but no one there tends to agree with me anyway :D

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 10:19 AM
Yes it is plainly there - bizzare how it wouldn't boot through the help screen though

:sigh: I feel foolish now

keith
07-10-2009, 10:26 AM
Yes it is plainly there - bizzare how it wouldn't boot through the help screen though

:sigh: I feel foolish now

It's not you at all! Like I say, everyones been calling me about it. It's a poor UI design unworthy of Apple. Just not enough visual cues to the new design. The scroll bar doesnt stand out enough until someone tells you it's there!

like Douglas Adams said about the controls in one of the starships "When you try and operate one of these weird black controls that are labelled in black on a black background a small black light lights up black to let you know you've done it. What is this?"

ukwdwnut
07-10-2009, 10:39 AM
macs PAH!!!! :wink: :lol:

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 11:03 AM
:dozey:

catrancher
07-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Not sure what you lads are on about? :unsure:

I've got no problem with mine. All my apps are there in the application finder window, the scroll bar on it is perfectly normal, Photo Booth is there in the list and when I search for Photo Booth via Spotlight (both on the Finder windows and off the menu bar), I can launch it from the results window just fine.

Whazzup? :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... my Mac likes me best!)

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 11:14 AM
The scroll bar on my macbook is ultra feint - I mean ultra feint - 'm not what I would normally call a novice at computer stuff or a genius but I can usually see a scroll bar and it was only when Keith told me about it that I could see it - maybe my monitor settings are different - I know from my astronomy photographs that monitors are ALL different and I produce what i think is a good image on one computer then get to work and blech!!

not sure why it wouldn't boot out of spotlight

Oh and another fantastic Mac feature I have just discovered having typed all this in caps lock by mistake is transform to lower case

everyday I find something new on my Macbook that makes me love it just that little bit more.

Vista and Windows 7

Aw......nevermind

Tink
07-10-2009, 11:22 AM
I wonder if it's possibly a UK thing, and if so, how could that be? It's not like that with us either, faint I mean... :unsure:

But I'm also talking about a desktop and not a laptop.

catrancher
07-10-2009, 11:29 AM
everyday I find something new on my Macbook that makes me love it just that little bit more.

Vista and Windows 7

Aw......nevermind

You are now officially annointed as an official, certified Mac Bigot with all the rights and duties thereto. Keith will teach you the super secret handshake later! :yes:

BTW - attached is a screen shot of my application window. Note that it looks rather normal.

Unlike it's owner. :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what is normal anyway. Thank you…)

keith
07-10-2009, 11:37 AM
You are now officially annointed as an official, certified Mac Bigot with all the rights and duties thereto. Keith will teach you the super secret handshake later! :yes:

BTW - attached is a screen shot of my application window. Note that it looks rather normal.

Unlike it's owner. :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... we will be restoring normality just as soon as we are sure what is normal anyway. Thank you…)

Ah but but but! you're not using the super secret uber brand new right click show me apps window solution! If you were, you'd be seeing what we mean :yes:

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 11:38 AM
Ah no I am booting apps from the app folder bottom right where it comes up with the icons in a black window I cant seem to grab a pic with 'grab' unfortunately

Tink
07-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Ummmmm...guys? If it doesn't work as well as the other way, why are you doing it? Uber super secret not withstanding... :wink:

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I didn't realise that there was another way its from my dock :unsure:

Tink
07-10-2009, 12:01 PM
I wonder, is there a difference because of your being on a laptop and my/Tom (is he???) being on a desktop? :unsure:

I shall slip quietly out of this discussion now. :D CLEARLY, it's miles above my head. :lol: :wave: :D

catrancher
07-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Ah but but but! you're not using the super secret uber brand new right click show me apps window solution! If you were, you'd be seeing what we mean :yes:

D'oh.... :homer:

Ah no I am booting apps from the app folder bottom right where it comes up with the icons in a black window I cant seem to grab a pic with 'grab' unfortunately

Ahhh... you mean dis one? (Shift-Apple-4 let's you select to get the piccie!)

Tom (:macwave:... missed it by THAT much!)

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 12:06 PM
:yes:

catrancher
07-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I wonder, is there a difference because of your being on a laptop and my/Tom (is he???) being on a desktop? :unsure:

Nope. I'm on a Macbook Pro. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... wheee.... I'm portable!)

catrancher
07-10-2009, 12:20 PM
:yes:

Okey dokey... now that that's settled, why not change your application folder in the dock to "List" view? Just right click on the Application folder in the dock and from the popup list, choose List view. At least that way, you can move up and down in your app list just by positioning your mouse over the little arrows at the top and bottom of the window. Like the first picture below.

Doesn't solve the dim scroll bar issue on the grid view, but at least it let's you find what you're looking for.

I didn't realise that there was another way its from my dock :unsure:

Oh yes! :yes: The applications is just another folder like all the others. If you don't have it set that way, you may want to add it to your Finder window sidebar. From the Finder, just choose Finder->Preferences. In the window that pops up, click the "Sidebar" tab and under "Places" check "Applications" (the second picture). Adds it to your Finder sidebar so that you can get to it easily just like the normal, happy little folder that it is.

Tom (:macwave:... so many ways to do the same thing!)

Skywatcher
07-10-2009, 03:00 PM
Cheers mate :thumbsup: always learning

it's less of an issue now I know it's there

josh.p.
07-10-2009, 03:15 PM
I noticed this with my stack when I first switched to snow leopard however it's fairly obvious compared to Tom's on my stack :unsure:
At least it doesn't crash when we open it :rotfl:

Skywatcher
09-10-2009, 04:39 PM
See my backgrounds are always going to be black as they are always space pics :lol: like Keith said a black on black to paraphrase the late and great DA

Dawn
09-10-2009, 06:48 PM
And I'm just turning round and leaving right now. :unsure:

josh.p.
10-10-2009, 04:09 PM
And I'm just turning round and leaving right now. :unsure:
:slap: