PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a legal question thing

Dawn
08-10-2009, 05:22 PM
My cousin's rabbits were killed by their neighbours cat this morning.

Do they have any legal recourse? Or any recourse at all really?

Britchick
08-10-2009, 05:56 PM
well the cat was doing what cat's do :unsure: you can't control a cat

Shellyamc
08-10-2009, 06:05 PM
I really can't help with your question and I am very sorry for the loss of the little bunnies :(

..but it does bring up something that really annoys me. Why is it that cats are allowed to roam free, but no other pet can? I don't let my dog run around and poop on other people's yards, so why is it I have to clean up cat poop when I don't own one? My dog has to have tags and a harness and all that jazz, but for some reason if you own a cat it can go wherever it pleases? I never got it. It just bugs me..

sorry..I'm done...back to Dawn now :unsure:

Britchick
08-10-2009, 06:06 PM
annoys me too Shelly, even with Charlie they poop in my garden!

what would happen if Charlie killed a cat whilst in our garden?

ukwdwnut
08-10-2009, 06:10 PM
drives me nuts too we have cats everywhere and they poop all the time in out garden, and when you cut the grass it makes you want to throw up.

is there anything you can pt down that cats dont like, was thinking of the rubber spiked strips that go on top of fences or the like

any ideas?

Dawn
08-10-2009, 06:12 PM
well the cat was doing what cat's do :unsure: you can't control a cat

Well you can tell that to her kids. :(

Britchick
08-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Well you can tell that to her kids. :(

i know and i understand, i've had a rabbit taken by a fox

keith
08-10-2009, 06:47 PM
My cousin's rabbits were killed by their neighbours cat this morning.

Do they have any legal recourse? Or any recourse at all really?

Nope, nothing at all. All the things you'd think MAY work, trespass, dangerous, etc. generally speaking won't apply in that situation

Dawn
08-10-2009, 06:54 PM
Well that stinks.

malcolm
08-10-2009, 07:01 PM
I have "shot" a cat that craps in our garden with the garden hose managed to chase it up the garden and well to say it looked a drowned rat by the time it jumped the fence was an understatement and i have got him a couple of time since and if he sees anyone in the hose he legs it over the fence. Put some mustard in a bit of fish one time left it where he jumps down and should have seen it coughing suprised it found its way home with the tears that must have been running down its cheeks...dont come in me garden now.....if any other cat comes in my garden and tries to swipe a claw at Barney then it will get same treatment.
Apparently pepper is supposed to be a good deterant, put it down where the cat comes into the garden as often once they land they tend to sniff the imediate area.

ukwdwnut
08-10-2009, 07:12 PM
I have "shot" a cat that craps in our garden with the garden hose managed to chase it up the garden and well to say it looked a drowned rat by the time it jumped the fence was an understatement and i have got him a couple of time since and if he sees anyone in the hose he legs it over the fence. Put some mustard in a bit of fish one time left it where he jumps down and should have seen it coughing suprised it found its way home with the tears that must have been running down its cheeks...dont come in me garden now.....if any other cat comes in my garden and tries to swipe a claw at Barney then it will get same treatment.
Apparently pepper is supposed to be a good deterant, put it down where the cat comes into the garden as often once they land they tend to sniff the imediate area.

good im gonna try that

josh.p.
08-10-2009, 08:54 PM
Cats do annoy me when they come in my garden, and the fact that the rabbits would have to be constrained because of the risk of cats is really sad :( Poor things :( Are they sure it was the neigbours cats? :unsure:
I do totally agree that it's annoying cats come in and out of your garden, and dogs need to be on a leash, but I would much rather a few cats come in our garden now and again and be allowed tha freedom rather than confined to the house. :sorry:

If I'm completely honest I find these ways a bit cruel :( Negative association does work with cats put drenching it with a hose really isn't a good thing to do :sorry: A spray should work, or a can with pebbles in thrown at the ground rather than AT the cat. I do agree that they shouldn't be in and out of other peoples back gardens but there are better methods at deterring cats that aren't perhaps as cruel to the cat. Cna't think how unpleasant it must have been for the poor cat to be walking around soaking wet, if it turns cold suddenly or the amount of dirt that would have got trapped in his fur :sorry:

Ursula
08-10-2009, 09:23 PM
Legally there is nothing you can do, what you could try is Olbas Oil sprinkled on the areas the cat comes in? I know my cats don't like the smell of Olbas Oil. Pepper don't work nor cat repellant pepper or sprays. It is illegal to hurt a cat... try an animal high noise frequency alarm thing? I don't know if they work... but then I suppose you can't use those if you have other pets?

Shellyamc
08-10-2009, 10:33 PM
what would happen if Charlie killed a cat whilst in our garden?

That is just it!! My dog HATES cats and goes after them anytime they get near. So I would have some angry neighbor yelling at my door about his cat when the cat came in to MY dog's yard and got hurt.

If you love your cat so much, then keep it home. We don't want to take care of your pet. :nono:

Britchick
08-10-2009, 11:07 PM
That is just it!! My dog HATES cats and goes after them anytime they get near. So I would have some angry neighbor yelling at my door about his cat when the cat came in to MY dog's yard and got hurt.

If you love your cat so much, then keep it home. We don't want to take care of your pet. :nono:

I guess that people feel that cats should be allowed to roam which i guess i agree with but then if you say that all animals should be allowed to roam. Who knows what the right answer is.

ukwdwnut
09-10-2009, 12:29 AM
Cna't think how unpleasant it must have been for the poor cat to be walking around soaking wet, if it turns cold suddenly or the amount of dirt that would have got trapped in his fur :sorry:

have you ever mowed a lawn and hit loads of cats pooh, it makes you feel sick with the stench, and who has to clean the mower, certainly not the cat josh

Skywatcher
09-10-2009, 07:09 AM
In the Uk there is no legal recourse over the actions of a cat there is over dogs but not cats

Ursula
09-10-2009, 08:17 AM
The same as... if you knock down a cat and kill it you don't have to do anything... not so if it's a dog. Swings and roundabouts I guess.

daveann
09-10-2009, 09:06 AM
well keep quiet on this one but here is my 2 pennies worth.

3 weeks ago this gone monday lucy (dog) and i went to meet Dave from work as we do every evening lovely evening sun shinning and dinner was ready in the oven meet Dave having a lovely walk home Lucy puts her head in a hedge and comes out with a ginger cat attatched to her face........ she hates cats but she was on the lead and only just put her head in the hedge the cat must have been startled and attacked her. we couldnt get the cat off and dispite every attempt the at wasnt letting go im not going into the details but Dave ended up at the hospital with multipul cat pucture wonds and scratches his clothes were ripped to shreads and YES they were at bites and scratches NOT dog he has had over 3 weeks of his right hand strapped up with bandages.
Lucy was scratched and cut which took her a few days to get over. Now this all happened close to our home we dont know who the cat belongs to but i can tell you i dont like cruelty to any animals but i could kill that cat easily without a second thought. My dog was on a lead and under control but some cat caused us a very painful 3 weeks. its spoiled our walks to and from work because its left my a nervous wreck but if my dog had done this i would have been taken to task over it.

if you want to own a cat keep it in your house or on your own property or on a leed like i have to with my animals...........

sorry if i have gone on to much but this has been really upsetting for us besides the pain Dave has gone through

ukwdwnut
09-10-2009, 09:21 AM
well keep quiet on this one but here is my 2 pennies worth.

3 weeks ago this gone monday lucy (dog) and i went to meet Dave from work as we do every evening lovely evening sun shinning and dinner was ready in the oven meet Dave having a lovely walk home Lucy puts her head in a hedge and comes out with a ginger cat attatched to her face........ she hates cats but she was on the lead and only just put her head in the hedge the cat must have been startled and attacked her. we couldnt get the cat off and dispite every attempt the at wasnt letting go im not going into the details but Dave ended up at the hospital with multipul cat pucture wonds and scratches his clothes were ripped to shreads and YES they were at bites and scratches NOT dog he has had over 3 weeks of his right hand strapped up with bandages.
Lucy was scratched and cut which took her a few days to get over. Now this all happened close to our home we dont know who the cat belongs to but i can tell you i dont like cruelty to any animals but i could kill that cat easily without a second thought. My dog was on a lead and under control but some cat caused us a very painful 3 weeks. its spoiled our walks to and from work because its left my a nervous wreck but if my dog had done this i would have been taken to task over it.

if you want to own a cat keep it in your house or on your own property or on a leed like i have to with my animals...........

sorry if i have gone on to much but this has been really upsetting for us besides the pain Dave has gone through

omg ann thats terrible.....thats why i think all animals should be kept at home and not allowed to roam freely....i hate cats they are too sneaky and slimey for me

josh.p.
09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
have you ever mowed a lawn and hit loads of cats pooh, it makes you feel sick with the stench, and who has to clean the mower, certainly not the cat josh
Like I said, Mick, I don't disagree that it's such an annoying occurance to find someone elses animal has done its business in your garden, but there are much more humane ways of deterring them from your garden that work perfectly well. If you go down the negative association route then a quick spray (but not drenching the poor cat) or a can with pebbles in can work wonders. There are chemical ways that I have heard have a mixed bag of results. Any cats that come into our garden are detered with a loud noise or a spray from a spray bottle and they only walk along our fence, never come into our garden.

omg ann thats terrible.....thats why i think all animals should be kept at home and not allowed to roam freely....i hate cats they are too sneaky and slimey for me
It's down to the owners to keep them in the house, you can't really say that they are 'sneaky and slimey', they are animals and their nature is just natural to them! There is obviously a certain degree of how they are 'brought up', but by nature they are independant.

ukwdwnut
09-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Like I said, Mick, I don't disagree that it's such an annoying occurance to find someone elses animal has done its business in your garden, but there are much more humane ways of deterring them from your garden that work perfectly well. If you go down the negative association route then a quick spray (but not drenching the poor cat) or a can with pebbles in can work wonders. There are chemical ways that I have heard have a mixed bag of results. Any cats that come into our garden are detered with a loud noise or a spray from a spray bottle and they only walk along our fence, never come into our garden.

It's down to the owners to keep them in the house, you can't really say that they are 'sneaky and slimey', they are animals and their nature is just natural to them! There is obviously a certain degree of how they are 'brought up', but by nature they are independant.

what you say to try doesnt work they still come back no matter what, when you have your own house and they do that in your grden and you have to clear it then you will know what i mean im near physically sick doing it, so i shouldnt and wont put up with it sorry, its my garden and i dont want them in it, thats my right as the homeowner...the sneaky slimey name that i call them is just my opinion mate, and im entitled to say they :) as you are yours

one thing i wouldnt do is harm any animal

josh.p.
09-10-2009, 09:55 AM
what you say to try doesnt work they still come back no matter what, when you have your own house and they do that in your grden and you have to clear it then you will know what i mean im near physically sick doing it, so i shouldnt and wont put up with it sorry, its my garden and i dont want them in it, thats my right as the homeowner...the sneaky slimey name that i call them is just my opinion mate, and im entitled to say they :) as you are yours

one thing i wouldnt do is harm any animal
Works well for the cats that come in our garden, unless the cats are tougher where you come from :rotfl: If you are consistent with it then it does start working. :yes:

ukwdwnut
09-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Works well for the cats that come in our garden, unless the cats are tougher where you come from :rotfl: If you are consistent with it then it does start working. :yes:

:lol: dunno about that but denise uses a super soaker and they still come in

im gonna get my action man kit, grenades, pepper spray, uzi and lay in wait :lol:

will find something to keep em out like 20ft fences all electrified lol

josh.p.
09-10-2009, 10:10 AM
:lol: dunno about that but denise uses a super soaker and they still come in

im gonna get my action man kit, grenades, pepper spray, uzi and lay in wait :lol:

will find something to keep em out like 20ft fences all electrified lol
:rotfl: have you tried putting one of those kiddies windmills on your lawn? The tin foil ones that spin around in the wind? :thumbsup:

ukwdwnut
09-10-2009, 10:26 AM
:rotfl: have you tried putting one of those kiddies windmills on your lawn? The tin foil ones that spin around in the wind? :thumbsup:

no ive got a full size one and windy miller in it :lol:

Britchick
09-10-2009, 10:29 AM
i'm surprised that it's cat poop on your lawn Mick, they usually dig :unsure:

a good tip i learned from working in the community- i always have vicks in the boot of the car- if i come across a smelly environment i put it under my nose and all i can smell is vicks!

personally i don't think cats should be kept inside but their owners should train them to use litter boxes from a kitten- that way they don't poop in other peoples gardens.

ukwdwnut
09-10-2009, 10:36 AM

a good tip i learned from working in the community- i always have vicks in the boot of the car- if i come across a smelly environment i put it under my nose and all i can smell is vicks!

personally i don't think cats should be kept inside but their owners should train them to use litter boxes from a kitten- that way they don't poop in other peoples gardens.

yep get it down the path to the kitchen door too and denise trod it it and walked it into the kitchen we were all gaggin in there.....b****y cats

why should you have to put vicks under your nose when entering you own property ground....keep the darn things inside they are a nuisance, at least dog owner pick up their dogs mess, but still dont like seeing that they should mess in their own gardens :mad1:

ukwdwnut
09-10-2009, 10:36 AM

yep get it down the path to the kitchen door too and denise trod it it and walked it into the kitchen we were all gaggin in there.....b****y cats

why should you have to put vicks under your nose when entering you own property ground....keep the darn things inside they are a nuisance, at least dog owner pick up their dogs mess, but still dont like seeing that they should mess in their own gardens :mad:

Britchick
09-10-2009, 10:40 AM
it was just a suggestion, and not all dog owners pick up after their dogs.

ukwdwnut
09-10-2009, 10:51 AM
it was just a suggestion, and not all dog owners pick up after their dogs.

the ones i see out walking theirs do :) admittedly not all, but all cats owners dont

Claire
09-10-2009, 11:25 AM
If it's poop on grass it's more likely to be foxes. Cats will dig in soil as they nearly always bury any trace of themselves as a defence thing. Don't get me started on dog mess. The walk to school is a complete nightmare!

Tink
09-10-2009, 11:57 AM
We have stray cats that roam our neighborhood. I always feel bad as I'm sure they were turned out when owners left. :( That, I think is very cruel. I must say though, we've not had any problems with cat droppings. Dogs? That's another matter all together. Some dog owners clean up, most here seem not to. :(

We don't have pets for many reasons, and certainly do not appreciate having to clean up after another person's pet. We've not ever needed to clean up after a cat, but we do after plenty of dogs.

Unfortunately, we never catch the dog and owner (or even just the dog) in the act. They are quite clever about walking the dog in the early morning or in late evening.

When we had neighbors directly next to us who had those little sorts of dogs, our yard was a mess until one day we made a tidy pile of it right back on the dog owner's lawn. :sorry: They got the message and began to clean up after their pets.

I know that stray cats are a problem in many areas, just not as much a problem here as dogs (that aren't strays!).

Ursula
09-10-2009, 02:08 PM
My cats are litter trained but they do go outside more to poop and always dig it over. Fortunately they go in my neighbours garden who fully deserves it :D :D :D

Dawn
09-10-2009, 02:40 PM
What rights do rabbits have then?

Ursula
09-10-2009, 04:50 PM
The right to pray before they go in the cooking pot.

Skywatcher
09-10-2009, 04:55 PM

Squatters rights? :unsure:

Shellyamc
09-10-2009, 05:47 PM

:( poor little things :sigh:

We never used a hutch outside for this reason. There are just too many things around here waiting to eat them. It isn't always easy, but we thought it was best.

Dawn
09-10-2009, 05:49 PM
The last rabbit Charlie and Daisy had died at the vets after being neutered. They've only had these two a couple of weeks and that cat got them. So I'll stand back from the cat stories right now - I'm not finding them funny. :sorry:

daveann
09-10-2009, 06:42 PM
poor kids they must be really upset :(

Dawn
09-10-2009, 06:45 PM
Daisy wants to kill every cat on the planet. She's 7. Be very afraid.

keith
09-10-2009, 07:46 PM
Daisy wants to kill every cat on the planet. She's 7. Be very afraid.

Round here it's foxes that get the bunnies and it's surprising how many people hate foxes because their childhood pet was killed by one.

I've often been in a car with someone and they've swerved or sped up to try and get a fox running across the road. So often that I now say, "let me guess, horror story involving a fox and a pet in your past?" and they nearly always say yes how did you know.

Kid's never forget it

Claire
09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
It was a fox that got our little Frankie. I had to lie to Maisie. I said her heart beat so fast it didn't last very long.

Ursula
09-10-2009, 09:25 PM
The last rabbit Charlie and Daisy had died at the vets after being neutered. They've only had these two a couple of weeks and that cat got them. So I'll stand back from the cat stories right now - I'm not finding them funny. :sorry:

Dawn no one has laughed at the bunnies being killed... there is not one post laughing about it, infact the opposite. I do feel sorry the rabbits died.

mainecoon lover
10-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Its very rare for a cat to kill a domestic rabbit. Were they baby rabbits? 9 times out of 10 its the foxes that are killing the rabbits. We had a rabbit with all our cats and to be honest the rabbit made the cats lives a nightmare. He would never leave them alone. My mil has 3 rabbits and 2 cats and her rabbits annoy the cats non-stop.
Cats are hunters i am afraid and its man that has made them domestic, so i am sad to say we have to accept on times that something so horrible like this happens. I do not think this is any right or wrong in it.

As with cat poo most of mine use litter trays but the odd 4 that go outside always do it in my garden which we clean up once they have finished. Its down to owners to do this and sadly some people do not just like dog poo.

josh.p.
10-10-2009, 12:03 PM
:sorry::hug2: I do really feel for the poor rabbits, but mainly the children :hug2:

Round here it's foxes that get the bunnies and it's surprising how many people hate foxes because their childhood pet was killed by one.

I've often been in a car with someone and they've swerved or sped up to try and get a fox running across the road. So often that I now say, "let me guess, horror story involving a fox and a pet in your past?" and they nearly always say yes how did you know.

Kid's never forget it
I'm ot keen on foxes either as they are a danger to the torts but instead of trying to deter the foxes I am just sure that the torts pen is fox proof and that they are locked in the shed at night or I leave them out if they've buried down :yes:

Disneybumble
10-10-2009, 01:53 PM
A fox got my friends 6 chickens yesterday morning.:sorry:

Ursula
10-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Before I had cats myself I could and still can sympathise believe me.

Dawn
10-10-2009, 02:18 PM
It just doesn't seem fair that a cat can do what it wants and no one can do anything about it. I bet it would be different if Willow killed our neighbour's rabbit.

ukwdwnut
10-10-2009, 02:23 PM
It just doesn't seem fair that a cat can do what it wants and no one can do anything about it. I bet it would be different if Willow killed our neighbour's rabbit.

it isnt dawn your right, ANY animal owner should be accountable for their pets actions...cats SHOULD be MADE to stay inside, the same as a dog imo theres no diffrence from one to the other

keith
10-10-2009, 02:31 PM

It seems really weird I must admit.

There are many legal duties placed on the owners of dogs which simply don't apply to the owners of cats. Possibly emanating from that, there's a general "right to roam" view in respect to cats but not to dogs.

I've seen a few cases listed about cats and damage to property or people, in which case there is legal recourse but nothing really about injury to other pets.

josh.p.
10-10-2009, 04:01 PM
it isnt dawn your right, ANY animal owner should be accountable for their pets actions...cats SHOULD be MADE to stay inside, the same as a dog imo theres no diffrence from one to the other
To be totally fair to cat owners I'm sure it's the minority shouting louder than the minority (As with most things!) Hundreds of people have cats in our neighbourhood but it's always the same 6-7 cats about the place. :yes:

It's in a cats nature/instinct to roam about and if we are going to keep them as domestic pets then I think it's only fair that the owners let them do what comes naturally to them, but in control- for instance litter box training so that they can roam without poohing in people's yards. It's man's fault that they are here as domesticated pets, so their owners should keep control of them. :yes:

It goes two ways though- rabbit owners *should* be allowed to let their rabbits roam and graze how they want to without having the fear of the neighbours cat eating them!!! :argue: It's such a hard one to judge, for sure.