PDA

View Full Version : Self Tan

Isafari
17-10-2009, 11:07 PM
Can anyone recommend a good self tanning lotion? It has to be goof proof! Oh....and I don't like the Tango look :unsure:

I don't want to use sunbeds but I don't want to go on my trip pasty and white!
:thankyou:

foreverducky
17-10-2009, 11:15 PM
I say, embrace your pasty whiteness. I do! :D

Isafari
17-10-2009, 11:17 PM
I say, embrace your pasty whiteness. I do! :D

:lol: I see toddlers to grandparents wandering around WDW in shorts without a care in the world....I wear trousers to stop my pins from blinding folk!

foreverducky
17-10-2009, 11:20 PM
Ahhh, don't worry about those other folks, so they experience a moment of blindness.....gives you enough time to breeze past them while they are disoriented. Think of it as a type of strategy. If they are blind, then they wont see you jump ahead in line...oh, oh, it's your type of fastpass. :lol:

Johnie
18-10-2009, 02:21 AM
I'm telling you there is no lotion that works for me.

I used to tan and would get a nice tan from it. I haven't tanned in about a year and am now back to my white self.

I've tried everything this summer and am just various shades of orange or streakiness.

i think I am just an odd duck.....self tanners supposedly work for others

Vixynne
18-10-2009, 02:44 AM
From what I used to be told when I worked at a bath/body type shop, the key to the self tanners is to make sure you do a reaaaally thorough exfoliation first. Supposedly, any even-slightly rough or dry skin will absorb more tanner and make you blotchy.

Friends who've used the self tanning stuff have told me that spray-on formulas work best (due to more even coverage from a mist/spray) and that it helps to have someone assist so that you i don't miss any spots--there's the one main reason I won't use 'em, LOL!

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with the white 'n' pasty look. I'm so pale I'm nearly see-through; I don't bother with tanning at all. I just slather on SPF seventy-bajillion and keep the rays from damaging my skin...but there's skin cancer in my immediate family, so I'm overly-cautious. I'd rather be pale than biopsied, that's my motto!

Johnie
18-10-2009, 02:48 AM
See? I had heard that about exfoliating and I scrubbed myself half to death and it still didn't work for me.

ukwdwnut
18-10-2009, 08:57 AM
i'll ask lauren for you di :)

what about a spray tan. lauren does those and they look sooooo natural looks like youve been away for a fortnight :D

Isafari
18-10-2009, 09:08 AM
i'll ask lauren for you di :)

what about a spray tan. lauren does those and they look sooooo natural looks like youve been away for a fortnight :D

It's hard to find someone you can trust for a spray tan Mick....a couple of girls at work had them done last year and they were a mess which has put me off. Also, I am in the pool every day while we are away so I really need something that I can easily re-apply if i need to.
I know I'm being fussy :lol: .....unless lauren can come with me to Florida :yes:

ukwdwnut
18-10-2009, 09:18 AM
It's hard to find someone you can trust for a spray tan Mick....a couple of girls at work had them done last year and they were a mess which has put me off. Also, I am in the pool every day while we are away so I really need something that I can easily re-apply if i need to.
I know I'm being fussy :lol: .....unless lauren can come with me to Florida :yes:

ok will ask her about a good lotion then.....well as long as you pay for everything im sure shed luv to be your personal therapist :wink: :lol:

josh.p.
18-10-2009, 02:20 PM
My sister got a 'fake bake' and it took 1-2 days to show up. The beauty shop said it would take only a few hours so re-sprayed her.... 2 days later she had TWO spray-tans and looked practically black!!!!

Isafari
18-10-2009, 02:24 PM
My sister got a 'fake bake' and it took 1-2 days to show up. The beauty shop said it would take only a few hours so re-sprayed her.... 2 days later she had TWO spray-tans and looked practically black!!!!

Oh dear....not the look I want to achieve :unsure:

josh.p.
18-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Oh dear....not the look I want to achieve :unsure:
It reminds me of Ross on Friends:
soQO6DTc0iE

Isafari
18-10-2009, 02:36 PM
:lol:
Pasty and white it is then!

josh.p.
18-10-2009, 02:48 PM
If it helps, before the one she got done last, she had always done them before then and it was great! She looked like she had been on holiday. :yes:

Britchick
18-10-2009, 06:08 PM
Diane, get the johnsons moisturiser with a hint of self tan and try it out, you can build up to the darkness you want. I would get the light one if i were you- i use it year round. You can get a facial one too. Don't forget to wash your hands afterwards. A good tip is to rub plain moisturiser in to dry areas first and leave it 10 mins before you start- definitely elbows and knees and ankles

Johnie
18-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Nope, Johnson's didn't work for me either

Britchick
18-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Nope, Johnson's didn't work for me either

:sorry: oh!

ukwdwnut
18-10-2009, 06:19 PM

looks like they knew what they were doing then :lol:

Johnie
18-10-2009, 06:20 PM
oh yeah Johnson's turned me orange. I even wrote the company a letter and they essentially blamed me for it.

ukwdwnut
18-10-2009, 06:43 PM
not seen lauren yet issy but i havent forgot :)

Britchick
18-10-2009, 06:44 PM
oh yeah Johnson's turned me orange. I even wrote the company a letter and they essentially blamed me for it.

did you just put a little on? why did they blame you? the wrong type of skin lol

Isafari
18-10-2009, 06:59 PM
I tried Johnsons too....last summer. It was ok for about a week then it went yellow. Someone asked me if I had a skin condition, I said no, it's a fake tan :lol:

Mick....thanks:thumbsup:

ukwdwnut
18-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I tried Johnsons too....last summer. It was ok for about a week then it went yellow. Someone asked me if I had a skin condition, I said no, it's a fake tan :lol:

Mick....thanks:thumbsup:

jaundice was it :wink: :lol:

your welcome :)

Johnie
19-10-2009, 12:00 AM
did you just put a little on? why did they blame you? the wrong type of skin lol

I did put a little on and it turned me oompa loompa orange. THeir advertising claims that it doesn't turn anyone orange but when I complained my skin was essentially blamed for it.

Deb
19-10-2009, 07:53 AM
I find Boots own Soltan series works well for me. I buy the exfoliator, moisturiser and the shimmer tan (it's not very glittery, just gives a nice sheen and helps you to see where you've put it). With it being from Boots it's not too expensive. I find that two coats over two days gives a nice natural tan, and then I can top up as and when, every couple of days or so. Some tips that worked for me: always exfoliate before putting on the first lot, and never miss out the moisturising stage on your subsequent applications...as well as stopping any colour clinging to dry skin it also evens out any streaks that might happen. It makes it a little more time consuming but is well worth it. Always always apply the tan using latex gloves...it makes a HUGE difference to the evenness, as well as stopping your palms and fingernails getting stained. When applying it to your face mix it half and half with your usual facial moisturiser.

Everyone is talking about xen-tan....google it and read about it. It does sound good and is apparently foolproof...I haven't used it myself but know people who have and may be tempted to treat myself and try it out (once this tan I have from The Maldives has faded :D ). I've seen it for sale in House of Fraser so it's easy to get.

I can't remember the new fake tan I get applied at my local salon before holidays...it is the best professional one I have had (I thought St Tropez was dreadful and patchy) but it is fab. The only drawback is it's guide colour is green and you literally do look like Princess Fiona for 8 hours before you can wash it off :lol: It is very natural though, and impossible to go orange with. It can only go to a maximum shade, which isn't very strong, so there is no risk of orange. I will find out what it's called in case anyone near you does it.

I like the pale look on others and don't mind it in my winter clothes, but when one reaches a certain age (ahem) one feels a bit more comfortable on holiday in swimming stuff with a little colour :blush: It helps hides any non-perfect skin and gives me a little confidence for myself :thumbsup:

ukwdwnut
19-10-2009, 08:25 AM
issy lauren highly recommends St Tropez Airbrush Tan, which is sprayed on and no need to rub in or wash excess off like some....hope this helps :D

MarkE
19-10-2009, 10:57 AM
My girlfriend uses one called make believe - its from boots and costs about 30 but will last you ages, and is very good. She's had at least 5 uses out of it now. If you trust your husband, it's better if he puts it on (I put lou's on). Its visible instantly, deepens over the next 12 hours, and lasts about a week.

Its a very dark looking liquid when it comes out - you can add a little bit of moisturiser to thin it out if you want, or to just make it last longer. Just put the gloves they give you on (TRUST ME, you need them!). About 5 squirts with a tiny bit of moisturiser does a leg, as a guide for how much to use. Get him to squeeze it into his left hand and if adding moisturiser, mix that in with the index finger of his right hand (I'm assuming that he's right handed). Then put it on little by little with the tip of his finger, and use the palm of his hand to spread it about and smooth it in.

One final warning - if you use this, give yourself a good half hour to an hour for just standing around in the bathroom or whatever afterwards; it takes a while to dry, and you'll regret it if you sit down and leave a patch on the side of your bed! If you're staybing in a hotel the night before you go away, do it there, and just stand about in the hotel room.

Ursula
19-10-2009, 12:16 PM
You've done this before haven't you..............

Disneybumble
19-10-2009, 01:34 PM
I think you're entering a Miss Universe comp really Diane.