PDA

View Full Version : This postal strike thingy

Dawn
21-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Is it one of those 24 hour deals or is it an ongoing thing?

Need to think about the exchanges (and my Christmas shopping). :unsure:

josh.p.
21-10-2009, 04:01 PM
It's a 48 hour strike but it looks uncertain whether it's going ahead now as they have been in 2-day long talks :Yes:

Fingers crossed it doesn't interfere with the exchange, but if it does it'll only be 2-3 days I suppose. What I don't understand about these strikes is that they know what wages they are getting when they agreed to do the job- if my Dad phoned the Director of his company and said "I'm not coming in tomorrow as I need more money" he'd be fired on the spot.

keith
21-10-2009, 04:11 PM
Sadly what happens when there's a strike is that mail piles up, sometimes in not very secure places. It can get crushed, damaged and the chances of it being lost are far far greater. So it's never just "2 or 3 days" of trouble.

I feel the pain of the postal workers I really do. They've come from a highly unionised, monopoly and are fighting against the inevitable huge change that HAS to come through the use of email, instant messaging, cell phones and all the other modern communication technologies.

The problem is that they're standing at the edge of the ocean trying to command the waves to retreat whereas they should be trying desperately to adapt the pre-empt the changing market. (which is kinda what the management are trying to do!)

Earlier this month the news came that royal mail has lost a crucial contract with its second largest customer, the online retailer Amazon, as a wave of strikes threaten parcel deliveries in the busy pre-Christmas sales period. 25M at least that contract. How many jobs will that cost and how many more contracts will they stand to lose through their strikes?

When you're just a man or woman working all the hours you can to support your family, of course the bigger picture isn't going to be something you care a jot about! You just need the work but this is where the unions, instead of saying ok everyone out, need to be explaining that change is essential and without it, it won't just be "some" jobs lost, it'll be the lot.

Slowhand
21-10-2009, 04:17 PM
I totally agree with those comments Keith.
We have a crazy situation here. The Post Office are closing down the local sorting office in Stoke and transferring it to Wolverhampton. Therefore if I were to post a letter to my next door neighbour, it would have to travel over 60 miles before it arrived at its destination!!! How daft is that?

josh.p.
21-10-2009, 04:51 PM
Therefore if I were to post a letter to my next door neighbour, it would have to travel over 60 miles before it arrived at its destination!!! How daft is that?
Not as daft as *posting* to your next door neighbour :rotfl: Just kidding :yes: I totally get what you mean. We're lucky in the fact our main post office closed down to make way for a new big WH Smiths one. My Mum's friend works in the post office in the village and thankfully it's still always busy. :yes: I think my Dad keeps it going off his eBay alone haha :rotfl:

Dawn
21-10-2009, 05:11 PM
I totally agree with those comments Keith.
We have a crazy situation here. The Post Office are closing down the local sorting office in Stoke and transferring it to Wolverhampton. Therefore if I were to post a letter to my next door neighbour, it would have to travel over 60 miles before it arrived at its destination!!! How daft is that?

Same as us - closed the Brighton office and now everything has to go out to Gatwick and back again. So when the vet in town sends a vaccine reminder it travels at least 50 miles for a 2 mile actual distance.

And Keith is right. When I worked for the post office we went on strike over the use of casual labour. I think we were out for 6 days but it really took several weeks to get back to normal. And this time of year is when the "mail traffic" really starts to busy up. It could be a nightmare.

catrancher
21-10-2009, 05:22 PM
The Post Office are closing down the local sorting office in Stoke and transferring it to Wolverhampton. Therefore if I were to post a letter to my next door neighbour, it would have to travel over 60 miles before it arrived at its destination!!! How daft is that?

Don't feel alone Terry. That's been the case here in the US for years. If I mail a postcard to my next door neighbor, it has to go to the Atlanta sorting facility before it comes back to my local post office for delivery. A round trip of about 70 miles. Strangest thing I ever heard of. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... who says it has to make sense?)

mainecoon lover
21-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Apparently there is delivery tomorrow but no collection and then on friday its collection but no delivery

Johnie
21-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Sounds like our work mail. Seems it is cheaper to have the dept of general services come pick up our mail, take it back to their facility, apply postage and then mail the letters.

I don't know about cheap but it sure takes forever. A letter within the area takes about 5 business days to get somewhere.

kazzaqld
21-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Gareth just ordered 2 things on eBay from the UK - I suppose that means they'll take even longer to get here!

Oh well.....:unsure:

MarkE
22-10-2009, 08:17 AM
It MIGHT not be that bad - the strike is split between two sets of people, the sorting office and the mailmen, and they're not both striking on the same day. Plus Royal Mail has brought in 30,000 temp workers (over 100,000 applied for those jobs - thats how badly some people want to just earn SOME money).

I worry that this is mostly the union's doing - like others say, most postal workers just want to go and do a job, get paid, and support their family. They knew how mch it paid before they even applied. But change does need to come, and it will unfortunately cause some job losses. I think the CWU is basically worried that it would be marginalized as part of the restructuring plans, and is kicking up a big stink about it.

Will be interested to see who amazon have moved to and what their service is like - I ordered some tickets two weeks ago and a firm called DX Secure delivered the tickets - I must say that the service was top notch - easy to arrange re-delivery, and the guy even took a picture of the building as I signed for the letter!

Disneybumble
22-10-2009, 08:28 AM
It MIGHT not be that bad - the strike is split between two sets of people, the sorting office and the mailmen, and they're not both striking on the same day. Plus Royal Mail has brought in 30,000 temp workers (over 100,000 applied for those jobs - thats how badly some people want to just earn SOME money).

I worry that this is mostly the union's doing - like others say, most postal workers just want to go and do a job, get paid, and support their family. They knew how mch it paid before they even applied. But change does need to come, and it will unfortunately cause some job losses. I think the CWU is basically worried that it would be marginalized as part of the restructuring plans, and is kicking up a big stink about it.

Will be interested to see who amazon have moved to and what their service is like - I ordered some tickets two weeks ago and a firm called DX Secure delivered the tickets - I must say that the service was top notch - easy to arrange re-delivery, and the guy even took a picture of the building as I signed for the letter!

Totaly agree Mark. :thumbsup: But who are you going to see.

lozzy
22-10-2009, 08:44 AM
My DF is a postman and is out on strike tomorrow, not that any of the postmen/woman want to strike, who can afford to lose a days pay at any time of the year but at chirstmas time it's even harder.

There is alot going on within the royal mail at the moment that the jo public will never get to hear about, but the changes aren't for the best put it this way.

We really did think it was sorted over tuesday night but the 2 idiots who run the royal mail desided differently, (one of the guys got sacked for the FA and then got the job in charge of Royal mail.:nono:) Something is going on and the goverment are involved somewhere along the line. watch this space.

I have spoken to DF this morning and it seems that the sorting offices have worked really hard duing yesterday and over night to get as much mail sorted as possible so the delivery offices can get it out today, I don't think the strike will cause to much touble this time as the different offices are striking on different days.

lozzy
22-10-2009, 08:48 AM
[quote="MarkE, post: 172655"]It MIGHT not be that bad - the strike is split between two sets of people, the sorting office and the mailmen, and they're not both striking on the same day. Plus Royal Mail has brought in 30,000 temp workers (over 100,000 applied for those jobs - thats how badly some people want to just earn SOME money).quote]

To has turned out that the number who appiled wasn't anything like 100,000, plus royal mail are now being taking to the high court as they are breaking some rule, employing temps.
Plus were is the money coming for to employer these temps? it cost Royal mail more to employer a temp than a contracted member of staff. Plus a contracted staff member has to have training to do the job so how can they expect a temp to walk in and do the job correctly with out the training.

daveann
22-10-2009, 09:44 AM
all i can say is i have a fantastic mail man he truely is wonderful. when we moved in about 6 months ago he knocked and introduced himself and he puts any packages in a safe place for me and drops a note through the door he is always smiling and very helpful and will deffinately be getting a tip from me at christmas as i really appreciate his efforts :)

lozzy
22-10-2009, 09:59 AM
all i can say is i have a fantastic mail man he truely is wonderful. when we moved in about 6 months ago he knocked and introduced himself and he puts any packages in a safe place for me and drops a note through the door he is always smiling and very helpful and will deffinately be getting a tip from me at christmas as i really appreciate his efforts :)

Thats really nice to here, It's like all jobs some are good and some are bad, I have had some really naf post people over the years and I offen wonder how they got the job. I will have to say that I have a really good postman now but then I have to really as my DF is our postman. :yes:

MarkE
22-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Loz, I can only go by the figures provided in the paper, and the pictures that went with it. I'll pick the Daily Express's link as that was one google gave me:

Daily Express | UK News :: 100,000 clamour to take jobs of striking postmen (http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/135037/100-000-clamour-to-take-jobs-of-striking-postmen#)

Employing the temps is just a PR move by royal mail really - they want to send out the message that THEY don't want joe public's life to be disrupted by the strike, and that it's the big old mean CWU's fault for not meeting them halfway (or more like 3/4's of the way). The money will come out of their restructuring fund, and just cause more hassle in the long run - like I said, I feel this is all the CWU's doing, they don't care what RM's balance sheet looks like at the end of the year, that is their last interest.

It is very sad that some people will undoubtedly lose their jobs at Royal Mail, but as firms like UPS, Fedex and DX expand over here, there will be other employment opportunities available. As Keith (?) said, if they aren't careful, the strikes will cause all of their major customers to flee, and then there will be NO jobs - and yet another Government bail out.

And to answer Britchic, I'm going to see Greenday next Tuesday, Pink next weekend, Muse on November 10th and Alice Cooper on December 1st. Woop woop!!

mainecoon lover
22-10-2009, 10:35 AM
I got post today

lozzy
22-10-2009, 10:38 AM
I got post today

You will do today, it's tomorrow that you will not get mail as the walker are out on strike, but on Saturday it will be back to normal.:worship:
It's mad at the moment and I for one hope it gets sorted out soon.

lozzy
22-10-2009, 10:43 AM
Loz, I can only go by the figures provided in the paper, and the pictures that went with it. I'll pick the Daily Express's link as that was one google gave me:

Daily Express | UK News :: 100,000 clamour to take jobs of striking postmen (http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/135037/100-000-clamour-to-take-jobs-of-striking-postmen#)

As my mum always said never believe what the media tell you, and never believe goverment.

Let just hope it gets sort very soon and as little job loses as possible.

mainecoon lover
22-10-2009, 10:43 AM
You will do today, it's tomorrow that you will not get mail as the walker are out on strike, but on Saturday it will be back to normal.:worship:
It's mad at the moment and I for one hope it gets sorted out soon.

Me to as we have some very important tickets coming ;)

lozzy
22-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Me to as we have some very important tickets coming ;)

I remember when we had tickets coming when the last big strike happened and they got sent special delivery. Fingers crossed.

mainecoon lover
22-10-2009, 10:58 AM
I remember when we had tickets coming when the last big strike happened and they got sent special delivery. Fingers crossed.

I spoke with them yesterday about our flight home as it has been changed but they forgot to tell us. They said they would send early due to the strike so lets hope.