PDA

View Full Version : Dawn is angry and disappointed

Dawn
05-11-2009, 08:13 AM
at the state of Maine today. :sigh:

"I want to spend the rest of my life with this person who I love with my heart and soul and I want that to be made official by law."

"I'm sorry your partner has the wrong set of genitals."

:image103::image103::image103::image103::image103:

It's 2009 for crying out loud, why can't some people get with reality.

*steps off soap box* :sorry:

Skywatcher
05-11-2009, 08:18 AM
*nails soapbox to Dawns and drags her back onto it*

I can't write what I want to because it would all come out as stars, but this small minded pig ignorance makes me fear for mankind :sigh:

I saw a picture on the internet the other day of someone at a protest march agains civil partnerships carrying a banner that stated 'Homosexuals are Gay'

It made me want to laugh and cry at the same time

There are times I feel the gene pool could use a little chlorine :sigh:

Disneybumble
05-11-2009, 08:20 AM
Stand loud and proud on your soapbox Dawn. It beggars beleif that in 2009 equality is still not a right for everybody.

Tinkerbell
05-11-2009, 09:20 AM
I'm right up there with you Dawn

Dare not put into words what I want to say so

:image103::image103::image103:

Ursula
05-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Ridiculous... utterly ridiculous :(

josh.p.
05-11-2009, 11:43 AM
It's just terrible. I am lost for words.

Tink
05-11-2009, 01:10 PM
As you all know, Maine holds my heart from childhood living there.

It has shattered it today. Utterly and completely.

Claire
05-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Black, white, gay, straight, male, female, able-bodied, disabled. Each and every one should stand shoulder to shoulder, equal in every way. I live in hope that one day I wil see it.

Tink
05-11-2009, 01:28 PM
I just have to say this then I will really, really try to shut up.

Putting the rights of one group "to the vote" is a very clever way of keeping those rights from becoming a reality.

The given group will be the minority, and therefore almost assuredly not have enough votes to preserve, or win their civil liberties.

Nice, huh?

OK. I'll shut up now. :sorry:

foreverducky
05-11-2009, 01:55 PM
It's just so sad and heartbreaking.

Johnie
05-11-2009, 03:01 PM
:thumbsdown: there are still many, many places and people in this country who are backwards and rednecks.

uscwest
05-11-2009, 05:32 PM
The amazing thing about all of this is that everyone is supposed to have "equal rights" under the law. Yet as Tink says, they really aren't equal are they. Why do we even have to vote on this?

Dawn
05-11-2009, 05:39 PM
For all those married people out there - can you imagine what it would be like to be told that you could not marry your spouse? I can't. :(

Tinker
05-11-2009, 05:42 PM
Me neither, Dawn .

Tink
05-11-2009, 05:44 PM
All major christian religions (along with other belief systems of course) have been very outspoken against allowing civil liberties for all Americans, not just RCs. :)

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has spent a bundle on keeping the intolerance well fired up. There are any number of christian based groups that keep the lies and intolerance in the public eye, and feed off of people's misunderstandings. Manipulation of the bible is a favored way of scaring people.

All that to say, no one "church" is more outspoken than the next (major religion, I mean).

Universalists of course are completely supportive of civil liberties for all... but then they are not christian based.

Britchick
05-11-2009, 05:49 PM
:sparklyrainbow:

Johnie
05-11-2009, 06:46 PM
For all those married people out there - can you imagine what it would be like to be told that you could not marry your spouse? I can't. :(

Well I am pretty anti marriage for anyone really. But, as long as people want to do it, they should be allowed to!

Vixynne
07-11-2009, 02:50 AM
No government--NONE--whether based in secular or religious roots, has any business trying to mandate love.

Attempting to do so is just. Plain. Wrong.

Seriously--is this the BIGGEST, most pressing issue on the table right now? Really? We've cured all the diseases, solved the issues of poverty and education, and there's no major conflicts for us to pitch in and resolve? Deciding who can love/marry/have intimate relations with whom is the best use of our government's time? Hmmm. Nope, not buying that one.

Nobody is ever going to make me believe that ANYONE has the right or ability to mandate whether I have the right to love someone. The government has no business concerning itself with whether my lover's plumbing is type _______ or type _______. None.

Here's what I posted about it on my FaceBook yesterday:
Dear State of Maine: I give to you the wisdom of Joshua Lyman...(Josh Lyman was a character from the US television series "The West Wing".)
...A man who--though fictitious--has more sense than your voting majority. In Josh's words: "I like you guys who wanna reduce the size of government -- make it just small enough so it can fit in our bedrooms." That's a classy way of saying this: Kiss my http://www.wench.org/forums/images/smilies/censored.gif, Maine.

IMHO, it's WAY past time for the governments and the folks who preach from altar and pulpit to get OUT of our bedrooms.

http://www.wench.org/forums/images/smilies/rant.sml.gif
/rant

BigThunder
07-11-2009, 09:32 PM
I hope I don't make anyone angry by saying this but to me, it's all religion based as far as the attitudes that most people have about (against) gays & why this gets shot down when it comes to a vote. I do think that eventually it will NOT be like this, that gays will have the same marital rights but I'm not sure if it will be in my lifetime.

Tinker
07-11-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with BT & Sister Tink . All religion basically preaches the same thing , right down to my church . In my eyes, love is love . Does that mean I'm going to the dark side because I have different beliefs as the person in the pew next to me . And in the future I will be more understanding of others beliefs and feelings .

Johnie
07-11-2009, 10:21 PM
I think whatever you believe is between you and your God/Higher Power/whatever. I personally don't think that much of the dogma that the church preaches is relavent to my life. AND I truly don't think religion and the pulpit EVER have a right in politics and my vote.

BigThunder
07-11-2009, 10:45 PM
Seperation of Church & State anyone??? It doesn't exist & I'm not sure it ever really did completely.

Britchick
07-11-2009, 11:45 PM
AND I truly don't think religion and the pulpit EVER have a right in politics and my vote.

totally agree.

any religion that encourages hatred of another person is a hypocrite. I'll get my coat now :unsure:

Vixynne
07-11-2009, 11:55 PM
totally agree.

any religion that encourages hatred of another person is a hypocrite. I'll get my coat now :unsure:

*applauds Johnie and Brit*

It's a real shame, isn't it, that almost every religion that claims to be rooted in peace and love has at some point or another turned to hate, fear and power-mongering...and the higher you go up the power ladder, the more corrupt both governments and religions tend to be. The vast majority of constituents and congregations aren't vicious and close-minded, I don't think.

But those in power fear losing it...so they spread fear among their followers. Fear drives human beings to do terrible things to each other--or to look the other way while terrible things are done. (Yes, Maine, I'm talking to you.)

Tinker
08-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Said alot better than I . Kudos !!!

Johnie
08-11-2009, 04:03 AM
totally agree.

Now why are you getting your coat? :unsure:

You just come sit over here by me on this comfy couch we have here. We shall call it the Freedom Sofa and it shall be rainbow colored :yes:

Dawn
08-11-2009, 07:45 AM
*squidges between Johnie and Brit on the Freedom Sofa*

josh.p.
08-11-2009, 12:41 PM
Any room for one more on the freedom sofa?

Johnie
08-11-2009, 07:30 PM
of course! There is room for ALL on the Freedom Sofa!!

Britchick
08-11-2009, 07:38 PM
think we're gonna need a bus! :thumbsup:

Tinker
09-11-2009, 12:46 AM
squeeeeezzzzzzeeeeee !!!

kazzaqld
09-11-2009, 01:08 AM
I'm ashamed to admit that Australia is just as bad when it comes to this issue. Hopefully one day our respective governments will see sense!

Now squeeze up on that sofa a little more, mmkay!

Bella fuffin Swan
09-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I was so disappointed when I heard the Maine announcement.

Beccaberry
09-11-2009, 03:28 PM

Actually...I kind of *wish* someone had disallowed me from my first marriage :wink:

Just a bit of levity my friends, in a utterly humourless situation. Nearly drove off the road when I heard it on the radio, it was so unexpected. I think everything else has been said, so I'll just plop down here on the freedom sofa and breakout the rainbow colored vodka.

Skywatcher
09-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Told my 9 year old about this and then we watched the rememberance day yesterday and I told him about all the 'average Joes' who had left their commonplace jobs to fight in a war and died at heartbreaking ages to do what was right, and told him I would do the same tomorrow if it was needed ( which made him cry ), but later on in bed he said

'why don't people just try and get along with each other?, I just don't understand it. Also didn't all thse poor men and ladies die so that people could be free, and now some people in America can't be with people they love'

out of the mouths of babes eh?

If the only thing I can do is to help my children be blind to the differences that make up our world then I suppose that is a laudible aim, although changing the mindset of the older and 'wiser' generations would be far far better :sigh:

Johnie
09-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Children understand what is right....why can't all adults?

Britchick
09-11-2009, 05:32 PM
If the only thing I can do is to help my children be blind to the differences that make up our world then I suppose that is a laudible aim, although changing the mindset of the older and 'wiser' generations would be far far better :sigh:

:thumbsup: