View Full Version : How busy is Martin LK Weekend in January?

06-11-2009, 03:50 PM
I am trying to do a little planning (as much as I can without being able to predict the weather!). We arrive on the afternoon of Thursday 14th January, and my guidebook says that Martin Luther King weekend is 15 - 17th. Does anyone know if this weekend very busy? Is it worth mainly avoiding the parks, or will the difference be negligible at this time of year?

Thank you! :)

06-11-2009, 04:03 PM
Its very busy Deb as is the Tuesday afterwards - certainly in comparisson to the rest of the time we went there, so in subsequent years we took that weekend to do 'offsite stuff' seaworld , Universal, shopping in DTD etc , but seeing how quiet it was the rest of the time it was palpably more busy for those few days

06-11-2009, 04:24 PM
Thanks Chris :hug2:

I think therefore we shall book Discovery Cove for that Sunday, and go shopping, and plan on only going to the parks to get the "vibe"...we have 14 day tickets so we can go and look rather than expect to get on the attractions. If we do get on any that will be a bonus, and we can still see fireworks I suppose.

I shall, however, probably give up any thoughts of getting any decdent ADRs then! I'll take my chances! :lol:

06-11-2009, 05:34 PM
We have been there for this weekend a few times in the past and we avoid WDW. Universal was ok until around lunchtime.

07-11-2009, 05:41 PM
I've been in January but not during MLK time. I imagine it's like any other holiday weekend & packed, probably with lots of locals who have long weekends. Since you have two weeks you might want to play it by ear on those 4 days & if the park is packed then you can leave & go do something else off site.

07-11-2009, 09:31 PM
I went last year but it was Wed/Thurs before so, it wasn't TOO bad. However, when we were leaving on Friday, I remember a ton of people checking into the resort we stayed at. It was gorgeous weather at the parks! A little chilly but totally bearable.

07-11-2009, 09:52 PM
never have been for MLK bday but I know presidents weekend in February was crazy . I can only assume because Floridians are off school and work , but :unsure: if only reason .

07-11-2009, 10:03 PM
I just looked. Our county (Volusia) is out of school on Jan. 18 and 19 for MLK Day.

07-11-2009, 10:46 PM
I just looked. Our county (Volusia) is out of school on Jan. 18 and 19 for MLK Day.

Wow! That makes it likely, if most counties are like this, that it will be crowded. I would love to have a weekend like that for MLK day, lol, my kids are lucky to get the DAY off.

09-11-2009, 08:02 AM
The Tuesday is always way busy in the MK as well but the other parks are not as bad.

Oh and before you panic Deb the post about it being chilly was from a Floridian :D

10-11-2009, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the info everyone.

Thanks Gwennie. That helps me be able to plan. I was totally going to go with the flow, but it looks like I am going to have to plan big style! So does this mean that extra people will be starting to hit the parks from later on Friday, and busy through till the end of Tuesday? I don't like the thought of getting to WDW on the Thursday, and having to hold off on seeing everything till Wednesday unless I can cope with busyness? I will have been there nearly a week by then :eek3: Isn't that typical, I haven't been for 7 years, and choose January thinking it will be quiet, and I land the day before a holiday weekend! :mental: I have never been when it's busy before :sigh:

So, if I go to MK on Friday morning so that I have said hello to the place, and maybe leave when it busies up, and go to MK or EPCOT on the evening to watch fireworks will that be bearable crowds-wise? Then maybe we will go shopping on Saturday, Discovery Cove on Sunday, Seaworld on Tuesday....and as we have hoppers for the whole time we are there we could pop into the parks to soak up the atmosphere in between, and not worry about whether we actually get onto any rides? I am assuming that IOA will be just as busy during those days too :unsure:

I sense a complicated itinerary coming on :D

10-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Its not crazy crazy busy, just busier than the weeks around, relax take your time and the parks will thin out after, certainly by the wednesday - TBF they also open the Parks later than usual around the holiday times so if you go until closing its usually quieter around then as well

10-11-2009, 08:52 AM
There are some EMH evenings during that time....are they worth doing or extra busy?

10-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Dificult call, our stategy was always to go to parks not offering the EMH as a lot of people pitch up and base their itinery on which parks are offering EMH, a lot of US holidaymakers are only there for a few days and only spend 1 day in each of the parks so it stands to reason they will pick a day when the park is open longest. That said, a lot of the young kiddies won't stay up too late.

Don't worry too much about the busyness , you are there for 2 weeks and can dip in and out and its NOTHING like XMAS or August

11-11-2009, 06:12 PM
If I were you Deb, since this is your first visit in awhile & you haven't said if you plan on going back anytime soon, I'd hit the parks & see how they are. You are only there a limited amount of time, no use wasting days not going to the parks if that's where you want to be. heck, you can always turn around & walk out if it's too busy :) But I think I'd give it a try because that's what you are going for.