PDA

View Full Version : This isn't just any job...

josh.p.
10-11-2009, 10:10 PM
.... this is an M&S job! LOL

I don't know if I told you but I had an interview for M&S a few weeks ago for a part time Christmas job and they didn't have any hours, anyway, last Monday they phoned me and offered me hours :yes: I could do them so I accepted and I've been doing training for two days :yes:

I really like it there :yes: all of the staff are lovely, there are extra hours, the pay is good and I get to buy loads of their food for silly prices in the 'sell off' for like 10p!! :Rotfl:

Mum is made up as she gets 20% discount!

lisaw
10-11-2009, 10:33 PM
Congratulations! I have always wanted to work at M&S just for the food sell off :lol:

josh.p.
10-11-2009, 10:42 PM
LOL- All the staff rave about it. I felt a bit silly going on my 1st day so I didn't (although other people did from our training group) but I think I'll go after my first proper shift haha

Skywatcher
10-11-2009, 10:47 PM
:sigh: I thought you said S&M so I guess the present I got you will have to go back.

From what I remember they are great emplyers and they used to give out great Xmas bonus'. Chuffed for you mate

Johnie
10-11-2009, 10:49 PM
:WOW:

that's awesome!!

Claire
10-11-2009, 11:20 PM
:thumbs-up: 20% discount! That's not to be sniffed at!

Tink
11-11-2009, 01:15 AM
That's great news. I know you've been wanting to work, so this comes at a great time. :yes: The extras of the discounts are really nice too!

Dawn
11-11-2009, 08:03 AM
Well done Josh. My sil works for M & S and they really look after their staff.#

Now...where do I send my christmas food order. :wink:

Skywatcher
11-11-2009, 08:10 AM
Shame they don't sell iMacs really ;)

josh.p.
11-11-2009, 12:19 PM
:sigh: I thought you said S&M so I guess the present I got you will have to go back.

:rotfl: :telltink:

Shame they don't sell iMacs really ;)
How long is it until Thursday? ;)

Well done Josh. My sil works for M & S and they really look after their staff.#

Now...where do I send my christmas food order. :wink:
Rofl! If I could get you guys discount then I would but only myself and a nominated person can use it. They are having a family and friends day soon where you get 9 vouchers to give family and friends so they can also use your 20% discount for the two days. It only applies to the store your friend works in though so it's quite annoying really :(

lozzy
11-11-2009, 12:22 PM
Well done you.
I myself isn't a lover of M&S, but I have also heard they are one of the better retail stores to work in,
What department are you working in?

josh.p.
11-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Well done you.
I myself isn't a lover of M&S, but I have also heard they are one of the better retail stores to work in,
What department are you working in?
I'm in foods :) They do seem a really good place to work for, everyone is really nice, there is loads of overtime (I've already got some) and they give you good staff bonuses, when you are permanent you get a huge discount on airport parking and the airport lounge :yes:

uscwest
11-11-2009, 12:40 PM
Congratulations Josh.

Tinkfan
11-11-2009, 02:43 PM
:awesome: What type of store is it Josh? Variety?

josh.p.
11-11-2009, 02:48 PM
:awesome: What type of store is it Josh? Variety?
It's a luxury food store mainly, but they sell clothing (mainly aimed at younger children, mothers and they do ranges for older people as well.)
Some of the bigger stores do some electricals but most just have either food, or food, gifts and textiles. Most of them have a cafe in as well. :yes:

Marks & Spencer (http://www.marksandspencer.com)

Skywatcher
11-11-2009, 02:50 PM
:lol: Its wasn't that long ago it was solely a clothes store

then it sold a few items offood and now a whole generation see it as mainly a food store

I doubt there is a Brit in the country that doesn't have at least 2 or 3 Marks and Sparks pants in their draws :D

Tinkfan
11-11-2009, 03:01 PM
:wave: Ahhh, I had heard of it when you wrote the full name but I thought it was clothing as well, that explains it!!! Thanks guys, it looks great!.. My husband would love to try that Christmas pudding but alas, he's the only one that would!!!:yes:

Ursula
11-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Ooh Josh well done! Tell us more about this sell off they do for you, it sounds good and that discount is very very good.

Dawn
11-11-2009, 06:53 PM
I know what it is from my SIL. At the end of the day all the food that is on its sell by date gets put in the sell off room and staff can buy it for silly money. Packets of biscuits for 10p etc.

Ursula
11-11-2009, 07:42 PM
Wow excellent, your Mum will be pleased Josh.

josh.p.
11-11-2009, 08:20 PM
Ooh Josh well done! Tell us more about this sell off they do for you, it sounds good and that discount is very very good.
They just sell off all the stuff that is on it's sell by date. It's for silly money, they get bread, cakes, biscuits, all sorts really :yes: They have a staff shop too, if somethings been on sale for more than a set period of time it goes there and you get them for cheap prices. One example was our line-manager told us she bought 3 pairs of kid's school shoes for 1.58 :yes:

Wow excellent, your Mum will be pleased Josh.
I know! :rotfl:

Britchick
11-11-2009, 08:44 PM
well done Josh, they obviously recognise class :thumbsup:

i love M&S, in fact i have just returned from a penny bazaar thing they've had today- 5 things for a penny each! stocking fillers :yes: oh and i bought myself a top for christmas partys and the such

josh.p.
11-11-2009, 09:25 PM
well done Josh, they obviously recognise class :thumbsup:

i love M&S, in fact i have just returned from a penny bazaar thing they've had today- 5 things for a penny each! stocking fillers :yes: oh and i bought myself a top for christmas partys and the such
The one in our store is on Friday, when I'm doing my overtime. What stocking fillers are they?

Britchick
11-11-2009, 09:49 PM
shhh don't tell anyone :nono: i got a tie, a pair of socks, a mug, some chocolate and a money box!

Debbie2
12-11-2009, 01:15 PM
Congrats Josh. DD looking for part-time work and I would love her to get a job there - would save me a fortune.

Which one you working in, I will look out for you :)

josh.p.
12-11-2009, 02:36 PM
Congrats Josh. DD looking for part-time work and I would love her to get a job there - would save me a fortune.

Which one you working in, I will look out for you :)
Hiya Deb,

I'm in the Birkenhead one :) If you tell her to keep looking online, in the morning and in the night, as they usually upload the jobs first thing in the morning or last thing before they leave and the interview slots are always gone within a day! The interviews are easy enough but it's getting an interview which is the hardest bit :yes:

lisaw
12-11-2009, 03:12 PM
shhh don't tell anyone :nono: i got a tie, a pair of socks, a mug, some chocolate and a money box!

I don't like working for a living! :hopmad:

Isafari
12-11-2009, 03:26 PM
Well done Josh :thumbsup:

Britchick
12-11-2009, 05:37 PM
I don't like working for a living! :hopmad:

i went after work :unsure:

lisaw
12-11-2009, 06:56 PM
i went after work :unsure:

Well apparantly last year when it was on you couldn't get near our M&S for traffic and people were queuing up outide waiting for opening and if you weren't in the shop within the first hour or two of opening it had all sold out! :unsure:

Britchick
12-11-2009, 07:20 PM
this time it was for card holders only and you got a time slot and only allowed into bazaar bit if you had an invite :thumbsup:

Ursula
13-11-2009, 01:50 PM
Hiya Deb,

I'm in the Birkenhead one :) If you tell her to keep looking online, in the morning and in the night, as they usually upload the jobs first thing in the morning or last thing before they leave and the interview slots are always gone within a day! The interviews are easy enough but it's getting an interview which is the hardest bit :yes:

Eeee so you talk like Paul Grady.