PDA

View Full Version : Happy Thanksgiving!!!

Tink
26-11-2009, 03:48 AM
Whether you are in the US, UK, Ireland, Australia, Mexico, or any other country, I hope you have a wonderful day today. I hope your day allows you to have a few moments to reflect on some of the things that you are thankful for. :yes:

Thank you to each and everyone who comes here to share their time, warmth and friendship with us here at Disney Secrets. Without you, we'd not have this site, and for you I am thankful every day. :grouphug:

There will be eight at our table, and we'll have the fairly traditional meal; roast turkey with chestnuts, gravy, mashed potatoes, brussel sprouts with pancetta and chestnuts, roasted acorn squash with fig, walnut and honey filling, scalloped corn, roasted sweet potatoes with pecan and maple sauce, baked Hubbard squash, butternut and kale bread pudding, oyster dressing, herbed giblet dressing, gingered carrots, whole wheat dressing with pancetta, mushrooms, and chestnuts, cranberry sauce, cranberry jelly, whole wheat dinner rolls. We'll offer wine, coffee, eggnog, and milk.

Dessert will be pumpkin pie in whole grain crust, pumpkin pie in regular crust, apple pie, pecan tarts, pecan pie, chocolate silk pie, Indian Pudding and a very special berry pie. :yes: Dessert wine, coffee...

That will be our meal...

Enjoy your day!

Vixynne
26-11-2009, 04:09 AM
Tink, got room for one more? Your menu sounds sooooo good...

We're having a smallish Turkey Day nosh at my house, since it's just me and the two weans. (On the up side, they're now old enough to help with the pre-planning AND the cleanup, woohoo!)

I've got two hotel-style turkey breasts getting thawed and ready to hit an herbtastic brine bath (sage/salt/sugar/vinegar/rosemary/apples) in about an hour. While they marinate, I've already got home-made cranberry sauce done and chilling nicely. The stuffing has sage, onion, diced apples, dried cranberries and 'shrooms mixed in with the cubed bread--also done and chilling for reheating in the oven tomorrow. A pumpkin pie and my very first homemade pecan (pea-can or peh-cahn) pie are both finished, along with my kids' contribution to the feast: Pilgrim Hats made of round fudge-coated cookies with chocolate-dipped marshmallows seated on top, and yellow buckles piped on with frosting.

Tomorrow I'll be getting up at 5:30 to toss the brined birds into the oven, then making mashed 'taters, sweet potatoes with ginger/nutmeg/brown sugar, broccoli in a cheese sauce, and acorn squash...all the side dishes!
Biscuits, crudite veggies, crackers and "pub cheese" and an assortment of beverages round out the meal.

I've been peeling, dicing, chopping and schlepping all over the kitchen since noon Wednesday, taken trash out twice and run three loads in the dishwasher---and I think I just might be able to get all the dishes coordinated and finished in time for a noonday meal!

I'm exhausted but so thrilled to see things falling into place, right down to the new tablecloth, dishes and centerpiece, all set and in their places!

I'm thankful for all that I've been blessed with, and thankful for the warm friendship of all those I've "met" online, near and far. My Thanksgiving prayer is that we can all find peace and joy in each moment of the coming year, and that this holiday is merely the first of many blessed moments for each one of us.

Dawn
26-11-2009, 07:55 AM
:tgiving:

kazzaqld
26-11-2009, 08:12 AM
:turkey3::turkey3:

Hope your turkeys are all tasty! Have a wonderful day!

lisaw
26-11-2009, 08:24 AM

Enjoy your day!

daveann
26-11-2009, 09:23 AM

Claire
26-11-2009, 10:01 AM
:turkey2: Have a great day! :thanks2: Please save some of your yummy turkey for me! :pilgrim:

Slowhand
26-11-2009, 10:41 AM
A great Thanksgiving to all of our American friends.
Having read your plans Tink, it seems like we are missing out on a great celebration over here, hope all goes well.

uscwest
26-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Don't really know everything that is on our menu this year. We are going over to our Son and DIL's house. They are doing the turkey, dressing, gravy and green bean casserole. We are bringing boiled onions, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce and sweet potato casserole. Our DIL's brother is bringing the pies. Since I am the only one who would eat it anyway I'm forgoing my traditional hubbard squash.

arkvilla
26-11-2009, 12:56 PM
:pilgrim: Happy Thanksgiving you guys

All your menus sound wonderful - have such a great day

Sandra

catrancher
26-11-2009, 01:31 PM
This will be an odd one for us. For the first time ever, we're not doing the cooking. We're going over to my DW's son's house to have Thanksgiving over there. Normally, everybody comes to our house and we're doing all the cooking (and cleaning). This year however, they wanted us to come over there and they're going to do the cooking (and cleaning). :unsure:

We will however, be bringing the Honey Baked Ham. :thumbsup:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :pilgrim:

Tom (:macwave:... hope this all works out all right!)

Mags
26-11-2009, 02:06 PM
What a great meal Tink! Happy Thanksgiving.

Margaret

foreverducky
26-11-2009, 02:12 PM
I will being doing Thanksgiving with Arthur. :D

We (really me) are having ham (we don't do turkey in my family), stuffing and a choc pie. I will be vac sealing the left over ham for Christmas. We also do ham for Christmas...obviously we are ham people. :yes:

MystikPiglit
26-11-2009, 03:08 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to our American friends. :wave:

I'm watching the parade:

www.earthcam.com/events/thanksgiving/2009/ (http://www.earthcam.com/events/thanksgiving/2009/)

Deb
26-11-2009, 03:10 PM
I will being doing Thanksgiving with Arthur. :D

We (really me) are having ham (we don't do turkey in my family), stuffing and a choc pie. I will be vac sealing the left over ham for Christmas. We also do ham for Christmas...obviously we are ham people. :yes:

Happy Thanksgiving Arthur!! :D Doesn't he like ham, Ducky? My cat loves it!

And a very Happy Thanksgiving to everyone else. :tgiving:

I hope you are all having a wonderful day - I wish we had a day like that in the UK!

Your menus all sound wonderful!!! I always find it amazing how many side dishes there are :yes: I have a couple of questions if you please....

Hubbard squash - is it prepared in a particular way to make it a Thanksgiving favourite?

What is Indian Pie? (and what makes Tink's special berry pie so very special? :) ).

What is "pub cheese" as mentioned by Vixynne?

I am liking the sound of the Pilgrim's Hats :D

foreverducky
26-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Oh yes, Arthur will be enjoying his fair share of ham. :) I will be the bestest mommy in the world.

Johnie
26-11-2009, 05:06 PM
mmm your menu sounds lovely Tink.....have room for one more?

We are having a turkey breast, a spiral ham (we are really ham people too :yes:), dressing, sweet potato casserole, green beans, corn pudding, other stuff that I can't seem to remember.

I am very thankful for all of my family, friends, my job, my health and the fact that I have been able to keep my head above the clouds (mostly) during this incredibly trying year.

I wish you all much love and please remember to tell those you love how much they mean to you :hug2::hug2:

Britchick
26-11-2009, 05:37 PM
Happy Thanksgiving y'all!!

will be having a thanksgiving dinner on Sunday!

Ursula
26-11-2009, 05:40 PM
Happy stuffed turkey day everyone XXXXXX

*Bambi-Belle*
26-11-2009, 06:51 PM
Tink your dinner sounds mouthwatering. Your guests are very lucky indeed. Just the thought of those pies are making me hungry lol Happy Thanksgiving and I hope you all have a wonderful day.

:turkey3::turkey3::pilgrim::turkey3::turkey3:

I am thankful for my amazing family especially my two boys who rose to the occasion just the other week when I was really poorly with a flu bug, not only did they take care of their old Mum supplying me with endless glasses of ice cubes and water but they kept on top of the housework even the 10 year old sorted dirty washing emptied and loaded the dishwasher tidied the bathrooms, but my 14 year old did all the cooking and made sure his brother was clean dressed and organized for school everyday. He fed and watered the animals did my Mum's shopping and made sure the recycling was put out in the proper bins and on the proper days and to top it all off he got glowing reports from all his teachers at parents night last night. I am so proud of the both of them. I'm a very lucky Mum indeed.:yes:

Vixynne
26-11-2009, 08:02 PM
Happy Thanksgiving Arthur!! :D Doesn't he like ham, Ducky? My cat loves it!

And a very Happy Thanksgiving to everyone else. :tgiving:

I hope you are all having a wonderful day - I wish we had a day like that in the UK!

Your menus all sound wonderful!!! I always find it amazing how many side dishes there are :yes: I have a couple of questions if you please....

Hubbard squash - is it prepared in a particular way to make it a Thanksgiving favourite?

What is Indian Pie? (and what makes Tink's special berry pie so very special? :) ).

What is "pub cheese" as mentioned by Vixynne?

I am liking the sound of the Pilgrim's Hats :D

Hiya Deb!

Pub cheese is any sort of cheese spread (usually in a plastic tub) that you slather on crackers or dip veggies in. My kids like it better than sour cream-based dip. One type is sold by a company called Rondele, you can take a peek at it here: Products: Pub Cheese - Garlic Herbs - rondele specialty foods Wisconsin gourmet cheeses (http://www.rondele.com/pubcheese/garlic-herbs.php)

The Pilgrim Hats were from an idea I saw online, actually! They came out both yummy and adorable (I can't eat another bite after gorging at lunchtime, but there's one with my name on it for later!)
Here's the website, and photos are included with the recipe: Marshmallow Pilgrim Hats | Recipes for Fun | Family Fun (http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/marshmallow-pilgrim-hats-682463/)
I suppose if you use really dark chocolate and forgo the yellow frosted "buckle", you could make high silk top hats out of them. Hmmm, maybe a Mad Hatter's hat?

I hope all of the Stateside folks had a wonderful Thanksgiving--and to our UK friends, thank you for your warm Thanksgiving wishes! :hug2:

keith
26-11-2009, 09:37 PM
Happy Thanksgiving to you all, my Disney family :yes: :hug2:

I'm so very thankful you all spend time with us here and make this site the great place that it is :hug2::hug2:

Tink
28-11-2009, 05:01 AM
Hubbard squash is a dry, dark orange squash with a hint of sweetness, more starchy than other squashes... we roast it, then scoop it out of the shell into a casserole. This year, I poked holes in the mashed squash (in the casserole dish) and put a touch of grade b Maple syrup and butter in each hole. :yes:

Indian pudding is an old, old New England tradition. It's called Indian Pudding because the Pilgrims called anything with corn in it, Indian (as they learned about corn from the Indians). It's a pudding in the British sense. It is critical to bake it low and slow (275 or so for about 2 1/2 or 3 hours). It consists of corn meal soaked in cream, with cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg, that is then wisked into scalded milk. It's then cooked slowly on the stove top until thick and smooth. (Oh, molasses and maple syrup are used for sweetner and here is where there are huge differences in opinion; some use all blackstrap molasses, some use lighter molasses, some use 1/2 molasses and 1/2 brown sugar, some use 1/2 molasses and 1/2 maple syrup.... I used 1/4 blackstrap, 1/4 light molasses and 1/2 grade b maple syrup). Once smooth, it's put into a casserole dish (I use an ooooolllld stone crock with a bail handle) and baked slow and low until it's smooth and silky. Oh, eggs are tempered and added to the on the stove cooking process too. It's served warm with whipped cream or ice cream (we use whipped cream).

If anyone would care to try it, I'll post the recipe, or you can come along to our house next Thanksgiving. :yes:

Oh, and the berry pie was so special because it was brought by my sister. :yes: :D