View Full Version : Disneyworld Twinned with UK city erm Swindon??

08-12-2009, 09:54 PM
Swindon, a place chiefly known for its association with the building of trains, cars and very complicated roundabouts, will be officially linked with Walt Disney World, it was announced today.

The Wiltshire town famous for its old rail works and the site of a major Honda car factory has been selected as the first twin town of the Florida resort.

The home of the TV presenter Melinda Messenger, singer Billie Piper and former Never Mind the Buzzcocks star Mark Lamarr, Swindon was chosen thanks to the efforts of one local resident, Rebecca Warren, 20, who produced a winning video slideshow extolling the virtues of the town.

The 24 other towns competing included Blackpool, Brighton, Aberdeen and Cambridge.

Warren, who works for a building society, will fly to Florida with her nephew, Aaron, 11, and niece, Amy, five, to unveil a "Walt Disney World Twinned with Swindon" plaque.

Swindon will be the venue next month for a "twinning ceremony", which will include a celebratory party.

Warren said today: "I still cannot believe that my entry has been selected. It's fantastic. What a great opportunity for Swindon."

Hugh Wood, of Disney Destinations International, said: "Britain clearly has a love for Walt Disney World and longstanding affinity with the parks and their magic, which is probably why the number and quality of entries received was so high."

08-12-2009, 10:39 PM
I heard this on the news tonight - it's a strange twinning.

Apparantly it's the first twinning in Disney's 38 year history

09-12-2009, 04:01 AM
Do we have anyone here who lives in Swindon?

09-12-2009, 07:53 AM
Swindon! :laugh:

09-12-2009, 08:06 AM
My hubby comes from just outside Swindoon