View Full Version : That's funny this ain't St Lucia Trip report Day 2 pt1

11-12-2009, 10:18 PM
Day 2 pt 1
The Flight and the first night
Well after a very nice sleep in the very comfy Premier inn bed I am awake at around 6.30am and get a brew going straight away. A few minutes later DW is stirring and before long we are both showered and ready to go. It is amazing how quickly time time passes at the airport hotel 2 hours are gone before we know it. We call for DM and we go down to check out which takes all of 30 seconds and we are in the car on our we to the car park. I had booked the short stay special through the BAA website OK it was a little steep at 70 but it is only a 5 min covered walk into the terminal and it's great for when you get back no messing with buses. We were given fast track security stickers at bag drop, Not sure if it's because we are flying Premium economy or because of the V-room but we make use of them and we are through in a couple of minutes. We wander around the shops for half an hour buying a few bit an bobs then on to the V-room. Now I have to say it was not that easy to find so I asked a cleaner and she pointed us in the right direction. The entrance is on the upper level of the shops and when you get to the top of the escalators you follow around to the right keeping the shops on your left the if you keep looking up you will see a sign for it above a doorway which is a corridor leading to a lift, Take the lift up and you are there. We are warmly greeted at the entrance and a brief explanation of what was of what was offered there was given. When we get inside we are surprised to see it is virtually empty there is a family in the children's play area and a couple of people in the adults only section.

There is a good selection of food and drink on offer including hot bacon or sausage subs both with the option of tomatoes and mushrooms, beans on toast, various cereals, muffins, pastries, cookies and millionaires shortbread. Then there is a coffee maker that does lattes, espresso, cappuccino and hot chocolate too. Then there are cokes, sprites, various juices and innocent smoothies. There is free internet access with a dozen or so terminals, PS3 games, newspapers and magazines and a great view of the runway.

We spend a couple of hours there which again seems to pass very quickly and are at the gate by 12.10pm. Boarding begins soon after with upper and pe passengers going first so off we go down the airbridge onto the aircraft and up stairs into the pe cabin where I was in 76A DW was next to me in 76C and DM was across the wide isle in 76H. There is loads of leg room and lovely footrests and comfy seats

(I didn't take these VA PE pics and i can't remember who did but thanks to them anyway)

I didn't get the name of the A/C but it had the odyssey system fitted so that was a bonus. Pre flight drinks were offered in the form of sparkling wine, bucks fizz, orange juice or water. We were offered seconds and soon after they were clearing away ready for taxi which we did bang on time. The captains pa however informed us that because of strong headwinds todays flight time will be 9hrs and 29mins. So we are soon nose up and heading for the clouds although to me judging by previous flights the climb out seemed unusually shallow and seemed to hang at around 1000 feet for a few minutes but then we were soon climbing again and 30 minutes later we are cruising at 33.000 ft.
Part 2 to follow

13-12-2009, 07:47 AM
Ooh I love the pe cabin... love the first class one even more when it's free!

13-12-2009, 12:03 PM
Ooh I love the pe cabin... love the first class one even more when it's free!

Everything is sweeter when it is free :yes: :wave:

13-12-2009, 07:18 PM
Look at those funky looking chairs in the lounge. :)

And wow, that is a nice airplace seat too.