PDA

View Full Version : Article on the Police

josh.p.
16-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I found this today and it really shocked me.
'You're filming for fun? I don't believe you' | UK news | guardian.co.uk (http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/video/2009/dec/15/police-terrorism)

:unsure: I'm in two minds about it though- would we rather have the police over-police and live in a safer environment... or will that create an environment where no-one takes the police seriously and therefore the real threats that do get reported by the officers won't be taken as seriously? :unsure:

dumbo77
16-12-2009, 11:28 PM
tbh i feel like the police in england are a joke and after my recent treatment by them i have no faith in there crime fighting abilities what so ever :thumbsdown:

josh.p.
18-12-2009, 11:39 AM
What have they done to you.. if you don't mind me asking?

keith
18-12-2009, 12:27 PM
I havent replied to this one yet since it's a subject close to my heart as a photographer but I can't resist.

This type of attitude, "ooo a photographer, lets stop them because we have the power", seems most common amongst the pretend police whereas the regular officers are tending to take a much more reasonable approach.

They've stopped any number of photographers on public land, taking perfectly legal photographs of clearly non-terrorist targets. It's silly people overusing powers which they shouldn't even have in the first place IMHO. (remember PCSOs mission is "They are a unique role designed purely to tackle local anti-social behaviour and issues affecting the quality of life" )

The antiterrorism laws are very far reaching and if we're to put up with such changes to basic freedoms, then they HAVE To be exercised carefully by fully qualified law enforcement officers.

In May this year, guidance was apparently sent to all police forces on how to treat this issue more sensibly but as that article shows, some pcsos still havent got the message :(

Finally just to point out the utter futility of these stops. Why would a terrorist go out drawing attention to themselves with tons of camera gear and a tripod when all they need to do is use google earth from their home computer?

dumbo77
19-12-2009, 11:48 PM
What have they done to you.. if you don't mind me asking?

i was arrested after interupting an assault. a group of women in the town where attacking a single woman and i pulled about 3 of them off her and put her in my car n drove her to the nearest hospital (where i work). the following week i recieved a call to ask me to do a witness statement from the police and when i got to the station i was arrested for assault class4. its took 8 month and eventually went to court where the judge apologised for the treatment i had recieved. there was no evidence as i didnt attack anyone the woman who i helped had been beaten to the point of drifting in and out of conciousness and apparently could only remember hearing my name . i told her my name in my car and that she was safe and i was taking her to a hospital.
the judge also said the matter wouldnt be left there and would be investigated by the police commissioners office.

i was treated appalingly by the police and cps and made to feel like the lowest of the low all for simply helping an innocent victim of a crime, which by the way means the real culprits have got away as the police never even bothered to look for them.

Tink
20-12-2009, 03:53 AM
Oh my g-d!!!! :( That is terrible!!! :hug2: Thank heaven it's all straightened out now. What an awful ordeal for you to have to go through. :hug2: