PDA

View Full Version : Blue Screen of Death?

foreverducky
17-12-2009, 09:37 PM
I was wondering what I am supposed to do now that I am receiving the blue screen of death on my desktop besides this: :hammer:

I don't know why this is happening all of the sudden. I've never had this problem before.

Any help?

ukwdwnut
18-12-2009, 12:42 AM
make a note of the error code letter for letter....and google it, it will then tell you what the problem is :)

Skywatcher
18-12-2009, 08:53 AM
:macwave:

josh.p.
18-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Google is your friend :thumbsup: If its not giving you enough time to write it down, take a photo of it- that way you won't get any of the letters wrong.

First thing to try, unplug everything except for the power (duh), the keyboard and the mouse, and try to start up again.

josh.p.
18-12-2009, 10:12 AM
oh and :macwave:

keith
18-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Generally speaking a BSOD results from:

1. A driver for some hardware (most common)
2. Faulty hardware often memory
3. malware

So first question is, any changes recently? new devices plugged in? driver updates? (possibly auto updates from windows?)

Memory added? worth checking and reseating memory

and of course, hopefully youve got a great virus scanner already installed (not avg) but anything suspicious like pop up windows etc?

sometimes looking in the windows event viewer will give you more info

Tink
18-12-2009, 02:14 PM
Mac Mac Mac Mac. Mac Mac Mac Mac...

Slowhand
18-12-2009, 02:17 PM
Mac Mac Mac Mac. Mac Mac Mac Mac...
Don`t forget to ask for your commision payment from Keith and catrancher Tink. :lol:

keith
18-12-2009, 02:22 PM
:laugh:

catrancher
18-12-2009, 02:27 PM
:yeahthat:

wait... just noticed we've got Skywatcher up there too!

Tom (:macwave:... right then... follow me!)

Skywatcher
18-12-2009, 02:30 PM
Well after seeing my iMac my Dad and now my brother in law both want one so I want a cut as well now :macwave:

catrancher
18-12-2009, 02:32 PM
Hmm... figured that was gonna happen. :taunt:

Tom (:macwave:... I love a parade!)

keith
18-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Well after seeing my iMac my Dad and now my brother in law both want one so I want a cut as well now :macwave:

It has that effect on everyone :yes:

ukwdwnut
18-12-2009, 04:08 PM

does this answer billies ? about the BSoD tho :wink: :lol:

Skywatcher
18-12-2009, 04:17 PM
does this answer billies ? about the BSoD tho :wink: :lol:

I think it does really :D

its an expensive solution but it is a solution ;)

ukwdwnut
18-12-2009, 05:15 PM
I think it does really :D

its an expensive solution but it is a solution ;)

:lol: too right its an expensive fix :lol:

Tink
18-12-2009, 06:44 PM
It IS the final solution though. :yes: :D :D

And truly, it's not expensive if you step back and look at the overall picture. We've had our iMac (the upside down bowl style :D ) SIX years now (with one addition of memory and two system upgrades).

Herself's Mom is on her THIRD PC in that same time frame. THREE!!! :eek: Dropped smack blue screen of death dying done gone. Could not be resucitated. Nada. Niete. No good. Far male...

Gimme a mac anyday. Quality will out. :yes:

Skywatcher
18-12-2009, 06:59 PM
There seems to a recurring theme on these boards... ;)

Tink
18-12-2009, 07:25 PM
Nahhhhh, ya' think? :D :D :D

josh.p.
18-12-2009, 09:23 PM
We need more sly tactics..... Subliminal messaging! :macwave:

I was just talking to my granny smith about the Blue screen of death the other day... :whistle:

BigThunder
18-12-2009, 11:21 PM
Ok, I know how to do very little on computers but I know when we've had the blue screen of death that if you can get it up & running in some sort of emergency mode that you can take the computer back to a certain date, like say 24 hours before this happened, & then you can get it up & running again & try to see what's going on. We've done that & it's helped. I'm not sure if that makes sense, sorry, but maybe someone a little more versed in PC tech can explain it better.

foreverducky
19-12-2009, 01:02 AM
Yes, I would love a mac....who's buying me one?:thumbsup:

I will definitely look it up on google with the error number! And then go from there.

Vixynne
19-12-2009, 01:04 AM
I think BT is talking about restarting in "safe mode" and then going back to a prior restore point using System Restore...(am I right?)

keith
19-12-2009, 01:06 AM
I think BT is talking about restarting in "safe mode" and then going back to a prior restore point using System Restore...(am I right?)

:yes: yep that's right, if you can identify when the problem started, system restore may be able to get you back to a time just before the bad drivers were installed or whatever

foreverducky
19-12-2009, 01:11 AM
I can't remember when it, started it's been a couple of weeks. I have been in denial for a while. :(

keith
19-12-2009, 01:17 AM
I can't remember when it, started it's been a couple of weeks. I have been in denial for a while. :(

Well, you can still call up system restore and it'll give you a list of dates you can restore back to! you can try one that feels about the right time :yes:

Now system restore isn't something I recommend because it's quite a severe process in that it takes all the drivers and so on back whereas you may only be having a problem with one.

Nonetheless, it's an option many "I just want to use the thing!" folks take because it's a point and click operation with no down and dirty investigation needed.

catrancher
19-12-2009, 01:51 PM
"I just want to use the thing!" folks

Hey, I know them! Are they friends of yours too? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... join tech support. Learn new vocabulary! )

Skywatcher
19-12-2009, 06:59 PM
Big problem I had with windows was that it was always updating and would never let you restore prior to an update therefore rendering the function useless everytime I had an error :sigh:

ukwdwnut
20-12-2009, 11:43 AM
Yes, I would love a mac....who's buying me one?:thumbsup:

I will definitely look it up on google with the error number! And then go from there.

thats the thing id be doing right away, usually its a driver, update to the latest one from the manufacturers site and that usually cures it :)

it could be reporting a bad memory stick as well, easily remedied imo

just look u the error code as soon as and let us know what it was hun :)

ukwdwnut
20-12-2009, 11:44 AM
Big problem I had with windows was that it was always updating and would never let you restore prior to an update therefore rendering the function useless everytime I had an error :sigh:

you can just uninstall an update if it causes a problem :)

foreverducky
20-12-2009, 12:01 PM
thats the thing id be doing right away, usually its a driver, update to the latest one from the manufacturers site and that usually cures it :)

it could be reporting a bad memory stick as well, easily remedied imo

just look u the error code as soon as and let us know what it was hun :)

Will do! Now that I have spoken about it, the screen has not shown itself in a day. :unsure:

foreverducky
20-12-2009, 07:41 PM
I found on one site that it could be due to my upgrade of AVG. I have ran AVG for a long while now, with no problems. I recently completed the upgrade as I was asked to go to 9.0.

This is upsetting I pay for the anti-virus and firewall. People said that 8.5 version was good with no problems, and I can't find that version online to go back to.

So, what are other anti-viruses and firewalls that I should get for my desktop. If it is the AVG then I want to uninstall it and find something else.

keith
20-12-2009, 07:44 PM
AVG is seriously useless. Not only does it consume too much system resource but it lets FAR too much through these days. It hasn't been a good product for a long time now.

Microsoft has their own free one out there now anyway
http://www.microsoft.com/Security_Essentials/

foreverducky
20-12-2009, 07:49 PM
Does that include a firewall?

Is it a decent program?

I don't mind paying for an antivirus and firewall if it's good.

foreverducky
20-12-2009, 08:02 PM
How is the firewall that comes with Windows?

I could download the one you suggested (security essentials) and then turn on the windows firewall if it's decent.

keith
20-12-2009, 08:22 PM
How is the firewall that comes with Windows?

I could download the one you suggested (security essentials) and then turn on the windows firewall if it's decent.

I Think that would do you just fine :yes:

anything to get away from avg shudder

foreverducky
20-12-2009, 09:14 PM
I have loaded the security essentials and turned on the windows firewall. Let's hope this made the blue screen of death disappear.

BigThunder
21-12-2009, 03:36 AM
Yeah! System restore..that's it! lol I told you I don't know much about computers. But that has worked for us a lot in the past.

Also used to use AVG, the free edition, & to be honest, wasn't too crazy about it.

ukwdwnut
21-12-2009, 03:51 PM
did you google the error code FD that tells you exactly what the problem is

im more than happy with sec ess now, it found 2 virii on my pc and 12 on laurens that avg didnt have a clue about....your right keith its seriously useless

if you have a router, they usually, well the newer ones come with a built in firewall which is much better than a software version...if not then zonealarm is better than just relying on the windows firewall

foreverducky
21-12-2009, 03:59 PM
From what I read online, yes, it seems to be the AVG. But time will only tell. I removed it yesterday and added security essentials. I have not seen the screen yet. Cross your fingers for me.

I had zone alarm a couple years ago. Maybe I will add that one instead of relying on the windows versions.

ukwdwnut
22-12-2009, 12:59 AM
thats ok then...shouldnt see it anymore hopefully....do you have a router or just a plain ol modem?

foreverducky
22-12-2009, 01:47 AM
I have modem and then a router for my laptop.

foreverducky
22-12-2009, 01:48 AM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

ukwdwnut
22-12-2009, 04:10 PM
I have modem and then a router for my laptop.

hmmm you dont need both. conect the router to the tower via the cable, then use the laptop wirelessly :) making sure you have set up the best security on the router (WPA2)

josh.p.
22-12-2009, 07:26 PM
hmmm you dont need both. conect the router to the tower via the cable, then use the laptop wirelessly :) making sure you have set up the best security on the router (WPA2)
That'd be dependant on the type of internet she has. Some can come straight from the wall, but ours is cable so it has to go to the modem and then to a router.

foreverducky
22-12-2009, 10:54 PM
From my understanding I needed the modem for the net, then I connect the router so I can use the laptop wirelessly. I've never done it any other way. :unsure:

Definitely have it locked. I have a password. :D

foreverducky
22-12-2009, 10:56 PM
by the way, so far so good...no blue screen

now off to knock on wood

josh.p.
23-12-2009, 02:12 PM
From my understanding I needed the modem for the net, then I connect the router so I can use the laptop wirelessly. I've never done it any other way. :unsure:

Definitely have it locked. I have a password. :D
You're right. :yes: That's how mine is, too. :yes:

ukwdwnut
23-12-2009, 02:25 PM
forgot about how cable is set up, differetn to just a phone line setup as you only need one or the other for net access :)

foreverducky
23-12-2009, 02:54 PM
I think we may have solved the blue screen of death.

Thank you!:worship:

ukwdwnut
23-12-2009, 03:28 PM
I think we may have solved the blue screen of death.

Thank you!:worship:

cool :D