PDA

View Full Version : French coffee press

josh.p.
25-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Anyone know how to use one of these properly? I know you let the coffee brew then plunge the top bit to filter the coffee but the one I got was part of a starbuck's giftpack.

The back of the coffee says use 4 tablespoon (Which is 4 measures of my measuring cup) of coffee to every 180ml of water.

The instructions on the starbucks card says to use 10 tablespoons (10 measures) per press, but 5 for a smaller, 4 cup press.

The instructions on the press say 1 scoop per cup.

None of them are press-specific and following the instructions on the back of the back makes strong and powdery coffee :unsure:

I'm going to measure how much water my press holds and then go from there maybe.... A measure (the black one that came with it) is = to 1 heaped table spoon. The press makes 3 small cups, or 2 starbucks mugs. It holds 650ml of water :yes: Any ideas?

horsedog1
25-12-2009, 06:53 PM
i do not really know.:unsure:

josh.p.
25-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Thanks for your help anyway Steven :)

keith
25-12-2009, 07:42 PM
I agree with Steven :unsure: I have one too but I can't get the mixture to be just right. Hopefully someone clever will come along and tell us soon :yes:

Tink
26-12-2009, 02:44 AM
Here is what I do...

Coarse grind coffee beans. If you get the grind too fine you'll have muddy coffee.

The amount you need truly depends upon how strong you like your coffee. I prefer one and one half tablespoons per 6 oz cup.

Pour hot, NOT boiling water over the beans in the pot. Stir it and put the plunger mechanism on (but don't plunge) let it steep for a minimum of three minutes then press the plunger slowly down.

Pour and enjoy. If it's too strong, add a bit of hot water to the cup, but if it's not strong enough you'll have to add more the next time. :yes:

It's about the only way I ever make coffee any more.

catrancher
26-12-2009, 12:16 PM
Here's some instructions I found online that pretty much reinforce what Tink said!

CoffeeGeek (http://coffeegeek.com/guides/presspot)

Tom (:macwave:... who's not quite that dedicated...)

dumbo77
28-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Here is what I do...

Coarse grind coffee beans. If you get the grind too fine you'll have muddy coffee.

The amount you need truly depends upon how strong you like your coffee. I prefer one and one half tablespoons per 6 oz cup.

Pour hot, NOT boiling water over the beans in the pot. Stir it and put the plunger mechanism on (but don't plunge) let it steep for a minimum of three minutes then press the plunger slowly down.

Pour and enjoy. If it's too strong, add a bit of hot water to the cup, but if it's not strong enough you'll have to add more the next time. :yes:

It's about the only way I ever make coffee any more.

this is pretty much what i do but if its a little strong i tend to add a tipple of my fav liquer rather than water :yes:

Tink
28-12-2009, 01:15 PM
LOL! Now that's a idea! :yes: :D