PDA

View Full Version : Count your blessings....

mumof2
01-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I got this from an old workmate on FB and I've done it today.

"Every night, count 3 good things that have happened to you today. You probably think there aren't 3, but, believe me, there are. Once you start counting them you'll be surprised that life is bursting with everyday delights. It won't cost you a thing and it might change your whole perspective. And on New Year's Day, what better time to start?"

Today I woke up and my boys were safe and sound in their rooms.

I hosted a 'leftovers' buffet for my family and spent a few hours enjoying their company, although they didn't make it I also had a lovely conversation with Sharon and Martin on the telephone.

Sally went to town today and bought a beautiful dress for me to try for her wedding in 2 weeks. Unfortunately it didn't sit right on me so I will probably stick with the one I have already bought, but I was touched that she had thought about me and went to the bother of purchashing it knowing she may have to return it.

What's happened to you today? :hug2::hug2:

Tink
01-01-2010, 10:53 PM
Let's see... we have a lovely dinner cooking. :yes:

I had a peaceful day with no real work to do. (Well, chose not to do work). :D

I have had time to enjoy the posts here and respond without feeling like I was rushing through things. :yes:

I like this, Mairead. Thank you for sharing it with us. :hug2:

foreverducky
02-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Very good idea!

I was able to watch an enjoyable program today without guilt.

I was able to run a mile in 10 minutes! I new record for me.

I was able to enjoy the company of my wonderful baby (Arthur).

mumof2
02-01-2010, 12:31 AM
fantastic! thank you :hug2::hug2:

simple pleasures hey?

foreverducky
02-01-2010, 01:28 AM
I think it's helpful to remember the little things. It's the little things that get us out of bed in the morning. :D

Tink
02-01-2010, 02:13 AM
It's the seemingly little things that make life worthwhile. :yes: Yes, the special things are lovely, but it's the everyday smile, the everday hug, the everyday "I love you" that comprise the worth of a life, eh? :yes:

This is such a good idea, Mairead. :yes: We all need a reminder every now and then to be happy with who we are and what we have. :yes:

mumof2
02-01-2010, 01:51 PM
So far today I have taken down the Christmas trees and put my furniture back where it should be after yesterdays get together, it feels great to have a little bit of space back!

My friend of 25 odd years has been round for a coffee and chat. I have been putting off seeing her and another old friend since Sarah left us as I feel nervous and panicky about seeing other people, it's been outside of my comfort zone - she understands luckily!

Right now I am sitting in my living room with the heating on knowing I have done enough housework today to not feel guilty about the rest that needs doing. I am lovely and warm and just taking pleasure in that feeling!

Later I *may* be going to buy a new laptop as since Jamie had his for Christmas and we went wireless I cannot get internet access on my old laptop, so as my inlaws have kindly given us a gift of some money that Nanny Win left towards a new one I may as well make use of it!

Also, Matthew and I will be popping up to Sarah again when it starts to get dark as he likes to see all the candles, solar and fairy lights up there. There are so many around the area where Sarah is that it's positively magical!

Oh, and we may pop into her Mum and Dad for a cuppa and to see the doggies!

Wow. I like doing this, I hope to keep it up but I'd better not post my life story every day! :tongue::tongue::tongue:

Tink
02-01-2010, 02:21 PM
Well, we had a good late sleep this day. :embarassed: I don't sleep so very well, so this was a good gift.

The weather is crisp and cold for FL (41 degrees this morning) and the heating is on. That makes it feel a bit cozy.

Have some satisfying things to do today, take down the tree, get ready for travel on Monday (NC) maybe take in a movie that herself wants to see.

Will call Mama later today. :yes:

I like this too Mairead, although I think I'll be better at it later in the day instead of earlier in the day! :lol:

mumof2
03-01-2010, 09:08 PM
come on you lot....what 3 things have been happening for you?

1. Today we got another laptop, was able to use it within around 15 minutes of getting it home!

2. Had a coffee with my Dad.

3. Got some new pets.....well I didn't particularly want them but they needed a home and my little man *really* wanted them. My lovely friend around the corner gave them to us. I don't think i'll be her friend any more :tongue:

*FOUR* baby stick insects. aaaaaarrrrrrrrrrgh, they freak me out. they're in my dining room. :unsure:

Tink
03-01-2010, 09:15 PM
Oh. Wow. I'm not so sure I'd be too happy with those Mairead! :eek:

Three things, lessee... it's cold, and we have heat in the house and the pool pump is working so there won't be any problems with that.

We visited Herself's Mom and Aunt today.

I have all my clothes and work items packed for tomorrow.

uscwest
03-01-2010, 09:19 PM
We made it home safely from a great trip to Indiana

We have a chicken roasting in the oven

I'm slowly but surely getting caught up after being off the internet for a week.

mumof2
03-01-2010, 10:02 PM
no I'm not too pleased with the sticks but they made him happy!

josh.p.
03-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Stick insects make great pets :)

I had a great day off work since my contract finished yesterday :) I got some last minute college work done and I also got to have a nice rest :yes:

Tink
03-01-2010, 11:19 PM
We have taken the tree down, and boxed up all the decorations from the tree, and elsewhere.

They are ready to go back to the storage closet, for another year.

It's good to have the living room back to normal. :D

We've finished up the last of the "treats" and our healthy eating beings anew tomorrow.

Nice that you were able to get to Indiana John. Hope you enjoyed the visit with the family. Happy New Year!

Shellyamc
04-01-2010, 12:26 AM
This is a wonderful idea! I am going to do this every day!

1) I spent a good piece of the day cuddled up with my family in front of the fire watching it snow.

2)I have a good husband who is outside clearing the almost foot of snow we have

3) I spent 30 minutes on the treadmill. Not great, but this is my second day in a row and starting is the hardest part.

Tink
04-01-2010, 12:49 AM
Thirty minutes two days in a row is great! :yes: Especially for a Mom with two little kids. :hug2:

Ummm... a FOOT of snow? :eek: Sheesh. I sure hope he doesn't turn into a snowman out there!

I like the idea of "in front of the fire." :yes: So very cozy.

Tinker
04-01-2010, 02:41 AM
Great Idea !!!
1. I made barbeque and baked a cake
2. celebrated my sons 30th birthday
3. Kim didn't make it due to illness, so no Kierstyn but Amber & Mike brought Baby Ayrielle over . We had a very nice evening together .

Tink
04-01-2010, 12:56 PM
I woke up this morning! On time! :D

Have a job to head to, even if it's taking me away from home all week-I still have a job!

I am ready to go for the most part, and didn't leave EVERYTHING to the last minute! :D (Hey, in my world, that's a MAJOR advancement). :D

Oh, and since I'm starting back on my "strict" nutrition approach I ran my numbers this morning. Not too bad!!!! Not where I want them, but I don't have that much "back tracking" to do. :D

mumof2
04-01-2010, 04:05 PM
1. Went to town with Sally and Nancy, bought a new dress for casual wear and a pashmina type thing and bag for the wedding, Met up with Mum and helped her decide on her Mother of the Bride outfit.

2. Popped in to Sharon for a coffee and finally caught up with Dan and Mark, haven't seen them for what seems like weeks!

3. Have decided to look for 2 kittens so I can blackmail Matthew into passing the 'sticks' onto somebody else!

Deb
04-01-2010, 08:17 PM
What a wonderful idea....just finished a Marian Keyes book where one of the characters did this, got me thinking too :yes: Reading others' things is inspirational too. Thanks for sharing everyone :hug2:

My three...

Today, in the nick of time, we found a home for 5 perfectly healthy one year old hens that were going to be killed if left where they were. We pick them up on Thursday, and take them to their new place on Friday. They may only be little feathery things but they don't deserve to die just because of horrible humans around them.

In 9 days time we will be in an airport hotel, waiting to fly to WDW the next day. Today it has really hit me that we are going, nearly 7 years after my last visit. It's wonderful and hugely emotional!!!

Despite this snow being hugely inconvenient, the view from here is breathtaking, and makes me smile when I look at it....totally magical!!

Have to say Mum, your stick insects made me laugh!!!! I just know you will have kittens AND those little sticky things! They really are very cute tou know ;)

mumof2
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
poor hens, that's horrible. and i will NOT be keeping those sticks...no no no no no!

I've walked past them countless times today and have avoided looking at them

Johnie
04-01-2010, 08:54 PM
What a lovely thread :yes:

1. I am thankful I have a job that I enjoy

2. I am thankful for wonderful family and friends who love me reagrdless of what a butthead I can be

3. I am thankful that I have money to pay my car repair bill. I just got a call....I need a new clutch. Serves me right for letting a teen learn to drive on it :tongue:

josh.p.
04-01-2010, 09:03 PM
I LOVE stick insects, they make fantastic pets. I'd offer to take them but I've just managed to keep two goldfish so I doubt I'll be getting any more pets for a time!

My three today;

I had a nice long lie in and an easy start back in college (my first lesson wasn't until 1)

I got a call from M&S that they still haven't done a few of the interviews so I'll find out about a permanent job on Thursday (Better than a rejection!)

I finally got round to using one of my christmas presents and I'm delighted with the results;
Buy Philips QC5170 Hair Clipper. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for . (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4426051/Trail/searchtext%3EPHILIPS.htm)

It's really easy to use and as I keep my hair cut quite short it will save me a bomb in going to the barbers!

Tinkfan
05-01-2010, 12:01 AM
:wave: Great post Mum!!! Everyone went back to school and work today, I had a very peaceful cup of coffee with my dog sabre. The snow was coming down in huge flakes and looked quite lovely ( until I went to shovel it that is!) had a normal dinner just the three of us talking about our day and they have started to dig our waterlines!!!!!! Yippie!! I will be able to do wash at home in a few months!!!!:yes::worship: