PDA

View Full Version : fear of flying

daveann
04-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Does anyone else have a fear of flying?
i am terrified of flying ususally it starts when we get to the airport and whilst i am away dont think about it again until we get back into the airport :( since being with David he has helped me alot and whilst still scared stiff i had got alot better well my fear has returned so much so that we were planning to go back to disney about march time but have decided not to :sorry: maybe later in the year but the fear has really got to me again :(

arkvilla
04-01-2010, 04:35 PM
I'm not that keen on it but I don't let it stop me flying because I think if it's my time to go, then it'll happen anywhere..

On the way back in Nov we had the worst turbulance that I've ever experienced and I was saying my prayers like mad.

To be fair more people are killed in cars every single day than you hear of in plane accidents.

Have you thought of hypnosis or maybe a bit of counselling - you are not alone in your fear and there must be lots of help out there :hug2:

I don't mean this to sound frivalous as I know fear is fear but but, make the most of your time on this earth I say, "as your a long time dead"

Sandra

daveann
04-01-2010, 04:40 PM
i agree with what your saying its totally irrational i was crying when we landed this time in florida bordering on hysterical i know there is more chance of dying in the car on the way to the airport :( i dont even do rides as they scare me i sound like such a wimp :(

arkvilla
04-01-2010, 05:21 PM
You're not on your own with having a fear - I really hate moths and am like a crazy woman if one comes anywhere near me :mental:

I've seen a programme on tv where airports have special courses you can go on to try to overcome your fear of flying - google it and see if it's something you would be willing to do

It's surely worth a go just so you can live life to the full :yes:

Sandra x

Britchick
04-01-2010, 05:53 PM
cognitive behaviour therapy is very good at dealing with some of the issues surrounding fear of flying, it helped me a lot. I still hate flying but am able to talk myself around and i don't intend to let it stop me flying.

josh.p.
04-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Can you not get medication for it? :unsure:

Tink
05-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Yes, there are anti-anxiety medications that help quite a bit. I've known them to work well for several people who are terrified of flying. :hug2: to you Daveann. It's awful to have a fear that interfers with your enjoyment of life. :hug2: (I have an irrational fear of snakes, but am pretty much able to work around that, although you won't catch me rambling through the woods or on a nature trail in Florida! :eek: ).

BUTTERHEAD1
05-01-2010, 02:47 AM
I also have a extreme fear of flying. In fact three years ago I attempted to fly but actually had a anxiety attack prior to take off and walked off of the plane. My wife was quite disappointed because she was waiting for me on the other end(Tampa).I walked out of the terminal and rented a car and drove straight to Orlando. I have had a fear of flying prior to that day but was able to fly. Lucky for me I cann still go to WDW although it is quite the journey(18 hours). I will give it a another shot soon...maybe

gwennie81
05-01-2010, 03:07 AM
DAVEANN, I feel your pain. I haven't been home (KS) in almost 3 years because I get panicky just thinking about it. Worst comes to worst, I'd get on a plane but I'd be sweating bullets the entire time. Someone gave me Xanax the last time I had to fly but it didn't help. I got the same feeling when I went on a cruise a couple years ago. The cruise itself was fantastic but I could just NOT relax. I think it's because I'm not piloting or steering or whatever. I have no control over whatever happens is what I don't like. :(