PDA

View Full Version : Apple event Jan 27th

keith
18-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Well it looks like it's on :) the event some of us have been waiting for from Apple next Wednesday.

The hope is that they'll release a new type of tablet possibly called iSlate or iTablet or knowing Apple, something completely different :D

They used to broadcast these events live but sadly no more (AFAIK) but they're usually full of energy and future.

I've said for more than a few years that a really great tablet would change how we all use computers. Reading on them, web browsing wherever, diary, lots of things will make more sense in a decent sized hand held tablet. I genuinely think this could be the start of something great. Of course equally, they may just release a new ipod and we could all be totally wrong about the tablet.Hope not though :lol:

Britchick
18-01-2010, 06:09 PM
this may be what i've been waiting for :thumbsup:

Skywatcher
18-01-2010, 06:11 PM
Just better not be a 30 inch iMac :dozey:

I am so so so in love with OS now - Had to use XP for my photograph last night and it took nearly an hour to go through all its updates and re-boots grrrrr

keith
18-01-2010, 06:14 PM
this may be what i've been waiting for :thumbsup:

It's always funny to look back at what people like me say when we forecast :lol: but I do believe that in a few years everyone on busses/trains/planes and just walking around with have their lives in some kind of book sized, but slimmer, device. OK, it'll evolve and what we're likely to see on the 27th with be rev00001, but I believe the next stage of "the computer" is about to be shown

Skywatcher
18-01-2010, 06:19 PM
The iPhone was a significant leap in that regard - I was googling stuff when we were on our way to the shops th eother day and its great saving stuff in Argos as you are driving there! I never thought I would use it as much as I do for pretty much everything - even at home it is my internet of choice as its just so instant and portable - yes it has a few shortcomings but I still find it astonishing

catrancher
18-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Perhaps they'll call it a Newton!

Oh... wait... that's been done! In fact, I still have one. Although I have no idea why! :mental:

Seriously though, I'm excited. I sincerely hope Apple can do with a tablet the same kind of revolution they did with the mouse on the Mac (with a little help from Xerox PARC). It's about time for a new user interface paradigm (one of those words we love to hate) and if anyone can do it, Apple can! :thumbsup:

Supposedly, Macworld will be providing live event coverage.

Tom (:macwave:... but will it have finger writing recognition? :unsure: )

keith
18-01-2010, 06:34 PM
Oh... wait... that's been done! In fact, I still have one. Although I have no idea why! :mental:

Mine broke :( but I remember seeing it in Dixons and knowing I HAD to have it.

Tom (:macwave:... but will it have finger writing recognition? :unsure: )

Untold questions from my end of things

Can we hand write on it? but cant see it with finger which would mean a stylus and apple HATE extra bits like styli

Will it have a phone built it? I'm assuming if it DID then it'd be bluetooth to a little headset. Great, means I dont need to carry both it and the iphone but then a) it'll cost more and may need a contract b) apple may want to sell a tablet AND the iphone so perhaps the tablet wont have a phone in but will use the iphone but then c) you need both argjhagjhgsahjgdsghasdhjg

What will battery life be like? to be the device I need it to be, it'll need to last a good day even using everything

iPhone OS or MACOSX ? (iphone os seems most likely but it does mark it out for a very specific type of app and arghrhgrhgrhg what about background processing!!!)

I could go on but I guess we wait and see :lol:

keith
18-01-2010, 06:38 PM
The iPhone was a significant leap in that regard - I was googling stuff when we were on our way to the shops th eother day and its great saving stuff in Argos as you are driving there! I never thought I would use it as much as I do for pretty much everything - even at home it is my internet of choice as its just so instant and portable - yes it has a few shortcomings but I still find it astonishing

Absolutely I agree! it's just not large enough to read books on or be a replacement for my 90s filofax which I still miss :-P

Of course usefully portable so :/

catrancher
18-01-2010, 06:48 PM
Mine broke :( but I remember seeing it in Dixons and knowing I HAD to have it.

Mine didn't! :taunt:

http://gallery.me.com/twgower/100188/IMG_0258/web.jpg?ver=12638404300001

Untold questions from my end of things

Can we hand write on it? but cant see it with finger which would mean a stylus and apple HATE extra bits like styli

I was kidding! :ROFL:

I think! :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... I vote for Mac OS! So many frameworks, so little time!)

josh.p.
18-01-2010, 06:50 PM
I really get the feeling Apple aren't going to release one and everyone will be dissapointed :unsure: From that picture, it makes me think maybe a coloured macbook :rotfl: Highly doubt it though!

keith
18-01-2010, 06:51 PM

seriously? you don't expect to be able to write in it?

I've lost track of how many people I've pitched my "tablet" to instead of note pads, diaries and so on and everyone ALWAYS says "ah but it's faster to just scribble a note"

If it doesnt have some sane way to scribble then I'll cry

Tom (:macwave:... I vote for Mac OS! So many frameworks, so little time!)

I *WANT* macosx but I'm going to place my bet on it being iPhone os v4. I think the tablet will be closer to a large iphone than to a macbook

josh.p.
18-01-2010, 06:54 PM
I kinda want it to be a new macbook pro or macbook thats cheaper!!! I'm in the market soon and looking less and less likely that I'll be able to afford the macbook pro! :(

catrancher
18-01-2010, 06:59 PM
seriously? you don't expect to be able to write in it?

Only in part. I expect to be able to do some kind of input. Just knowing Apple, I'm not prepared to speculate on what that may be. Like they used to say as part of the old advertising campaigns: "Think Different!"

It could be just like 1984 again!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYecfV3ubP8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OYecfV3ubP8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I *WANT* macosx but I'm going to place my bet on it being iPhone os v4. I think the tablet will be closer to a large iphone than to a macbook

I think you're probably right.

Tom (:macwave:... fidgets slightly as he waits!)

keith
18-01-2010, 07:01 PM
I kinda want it to be a new macbook pro or macbook thats cheaper!!! I'm in the market soon and looking less and less likely that I'll be able to afford the macbook pro! :(

well it's happened before so fingers crossed BUT I wouldnt count on it. They tend to add features to keep the price the same but the value look better.

So macbook pro wise, quad core cpu, too soon for OLED screens I guess

keith
18-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Only in part. I expect to be able to do some kind of input. Just knowing Apple, I'm not prepared to speculate on what that may be.

Apple new patented nose stylus attachment

catrancher
18-01-2010, 07:06 PM
too soon for OLED screens I guess

Ohhh.... then we could roll it up and stuff it in a pocket! :ROFL:

Apple new patented nose stylus attachment
:laugh:

Tom (:macwave:... Moore's law for fun and profit!)

josh.p.
18-01-2010, 08:06 PM
Apparently they've asked intel to produce i5 chips for mobile computers :yes: Looks like they're going for an MBP update perhaps??

keith
18-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Apparently they've asked intel to produce i5 chips for mobile computers :yes: Looks like they're going for an MBP update perhaps??

Well that rumour was based on a mistake BUT I think we can reasonably expect the i5 in the next line of MBP yeah :)

josh.p.
18-01-2010, 08:19 PM
The MBP and the iPhone are at the end of their product cycle according to Mac rumours;
Mac Buyer's Guide: Know When to Buy Your Mac, iPod or iPhone (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/)

I'm really hoping theres a whole range of updated stuff tbh, as there are loads of things I'd like to see- Mainly the macbook pro since I'm going to buy a macbook of some form. But I think the tablet will be really interesting too :yes: :yes:

keith
18-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm pretty much expecting a new iphone in the coming months. We need more RAM for sure and then they've promised to use a mini-usb for charging in 2010 and so on.

josh.p.
18-01-2010, 08:40 PM
I sincerely hope they don't change the part that allows you to plug it into your accesories! That would annoy their customer base greatly :yes:

If I haven't mentioned it already... I REALLY want an MBP update but I can't see it! :sigh:

keith
18-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I sincerely hope they don't change the part that allows you to plug it into your accesories! That would annoy their customer base greatly :yes:

I fully expect it to be changed since it should all be possible via a mini usb and in the future maybe we'll all be able to just carry around one type of charger.

HOWEVER nothing to stop them separating out the power and leaving the old connector and/or providing a miniusb to old style adapter

If I haven't mentioned it already... I REALLY want an MBP update but I can't see it! :sigh:

I can see it but I doubt the bottom end will see MUCH other than perhaps a slightly faster cpu/more disk

Then again, we've had this all chrome look for years now, perhaps it's time for a change :D

josh.p.
18-01-2010, 08:58 PM
Did apple sign the contract that the other mobile company's did? :unsure: I'd like it if they brought the macbook in colours that they do in the iPods :yes:

keith
18-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Did apple sign the contract that the other mobile company's did? :unsure:

Yep I was pleasantly surprised

I'd like it if they brought the macbook in colours that they do in the iPods :yes:

yeah I think a lot of people would. I have a friend who swears he won't replace his black macbook with a white or silver thing because he's so proud of it :lol:

josh.p.
18-01-2010, 09:04 PM
That image that you posted just makes me think theres something coming in lot's of colours, and the circular edged rectangle looks like a macbook. I'm looking to much into it, I know! :yes:

catrancher
18-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Remember though, the color things been done! The old original iBooks. Not to say they wouldn't do something like it again...

One thing's certain, since it's Apple, we really won't know anything for sure until the 27th!

Tom (:macwave:... who's a little off color himself!)

catrancher
18-01-2010, 09:10 PM
That image that you posted just makes me think theres something coming in lot's of colours, and the circular edged rectangle looks like a macbook. I'm looking to much into it, I know! :yes:

Looks to me more like the advertising department spilled the paint and thought it was kind of a neat idea. :unsure:

Shades of Andy Warhol! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... modern art ain't!)

josh.p.
18-01-2010, 09:16 PM
They probably want to give connotations of "creating a masterpiece" :yes:

keith
18-01-2010, 09:49 PM
They probably want to give connotations of "creating a masterpiece" :yes:

They used to give hints on those invites but I dont think they do any more.

The trouble is, as much as I expect a tablet, in the past I've been very sadly mistaken :lol:

Pals at work used to gather with pizza and pepsi around a large screen to watch the Steve Jobs keynotes where he announced these things and we ooooo'd ahhhhh'd all evening :lol:

Thing is often we'd expect a new macbook pro only to get a few ipods and some updated software. Then other times we'd expect some updates to ilife and there'd be new Intel based macbooks!

I just REALLY hope that a) there's a tablet b) it's less than $1000 and c) they DONT call it an iSlate (sounds like an old schoolroom device)

josh.p.
18-01-2010, 11:03 PM
I agree, I don't remember exactly when and where I've been dissapointed but I've obeen dissapointed with what they've announced in the past :yes:

They are going to be SO scared right now if they don't have a tablet hahaha. I REALLY don't want it to be called the iSlate. "Macpad" or something like that would be better.

keith
27-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Well it's today, or at least it is in the UK :D it's tablet day!

I think we know so far that it'll be 10", running the iphone OS, we don't know if it'll have a built in phone/3g and need a contract (gulp) and sell for less than $1000. Some speculation on $699 with a contract and $999 without. Speculation on availability puts it anywhere between March and June :/

I'm already wondering do I order one online as soon as the website comes back from it's overloading which will no doubt happen, or queue outside an apple store when they arrive. hmmmm

Tink
27-01-2010, 12:15 AM
We dropped by the Apple store in Millenia Mall a couple of weeks ago and could not believe that, given the packed store, there wasn't a special sale or event going on. I can't imagine it with something special.

Unless you like mass crowds, go with the "online" option.

Now. In English please, and reallllllllly slow, just like I'm a six year old. What the hell is it? :unsure: :sorry:

keith
27-01-2010, 12:31 AM
We dropped by the Apple store in Millenia Mall a couple of weeks ago and could not believe that, given the packed store, there wasn't a special sale or event going on. I can't imagine it with something special.

Unless you like mass crowds, go with the "online" option.

That's true but but but :lol: when the iphone was launched, it was a true event. I was at the trafford centre mall and we were all excited little kids :lol: chatting, taking photos, genuinely nice atmosphere.

Now. In English please, and reallllllllly slow, just like I'm a six year old. What the hell is it? :unsure: :sorry:

Well the truth is, none of us really know yet, we just know we want one :D

The idea is that it'll be an iphone thin type of device, about 10" screen that you'll be able to read ebooks on, browse the web, email, diary all that usual stuff but in a format that's easy to carry with a large enough screen to be useful.

So all the usual ebook stuff, newspaper ready for you there in the morning without the waste of trees. millions of books to download when you want. dyanamic/interactive books and so on.

I remember carrying so many law texts around, one girl used to wheel a suitcase around everyday with them all in! So all on a tablet would be great.

Of course, all thats been done with the kindle and so on but many of us have been waiting for a more versatile device.

So then you have all the iphone apps available as well.

Some folks are saying pah, it'll be a niche thing that'll die out because it's too large to carry everywhere like a phone and it's not powerful, or the right format, for typing and doing heavy computer stuff on.

All I can see is potential :yes: I was in a meeting earlier this week with 10 people and standing at the front, all I could see was a wall of laptops staring back at me. How great to get rid of all those, regain a flat writing surface again so everyone can see each other but one where your notes/scribbles are saved and perhaps turned into searchable text.

Lie on the couch with a lightweight tablet reading the forums :D plan a trip in the diary all without feeling that it's a worky-computer if you know what I mean?

The iphone screen is just too small for this, especially for ebooks.

I can imagine so much for it but let's see what it actually is tomorrow :yes;

Beccaberry
27-01-2010, 12:33 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Tink
27-01-2010, 12:35 AM
Well! Why in heck aren't we awaiting the new Keith Machine then? :unsure: Seriously!?

Does sound good, but does also sound a bit like "yet another" thing to have that doesn't quite do it all.

However, I don't generally talk on my laptop, so that doesn't do it all either.

keith
27-01-2010, 12:37 AM
Does sound good, but does also sound a bit like "yet another" thing to have that doesn't quite do it all.

Well, that's exactly what some folks are wondering, will it be enough or will we all still want an iphone AND a tablet AND a laptop AND a desktop.

We'll have to wait and see!

Beccaberry
27-01-2010, 12:38 AM
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tink
27-01-2010, 12:51 AM
I'm almost convinced that we no longer need a desktop. :unsure:

Couldn't give up the laptop though. If I ever change jobs and lose this one, I'll be buying my own first off.

keith
27-01-2010, 12:53 AM

Couldn't give up the laptop though. If I ever change jobs and lose this one, I'll be buying my own first off.

yep, laptop far more versatile I agree :yes:

Beccaberry
27-01-2010, 12:55 AM

Totally agree, Tink. Our desktop is basically nothing more than a networking hub and backup. We currently have SIX laptops in our house! That's ONE more than the number of people that LIVE here!

Tink
27-01-2010, 01:14 AM
Herself did Desk Top Publishing once upon a time, so we've always had a Mac, and preferably one with a big monitor. She uses two monitors at work! (Not doing DT Publishing anymore, but does a ton of analysis, and stats)...

So, we kind of have this big old machine because we've always had a big old machine.

But, it's upstairs...

I think she needs a Macbook Pro, don't you? :D :D

Beccaberry
27-01-2010, 01:15 AM
TOOOOOOOOOOOOOTALLY agree!!!

Johnie
27-01-2010, 03:03 AM
There is also a rumor that AT&T will no longer be the sole carrier for the iPhone. Unfortunately I hear that Verizon does not have the capability to carry the iPhone at this time.

Tink
27-01-2010, 03:42 AM
I don't know why they wouldn't? They have a G system. :yes:

I did hear though that Sprint maybe? is going to carry the iPhone.

Of course. After I got stuck with AT&T. :sigh:

Skywatcher
27-01-2010, 07:47 AM
:mental: todays the day

Wish they would enter the console market :D

catrancher
27-01-2010, 12:27 PM
todays the day

Yup! And courtesy of McGraw-Hill's Harold “Terry” McGraw III we now know it REALLY is coming!

Oops! (http://gizmodo.com/5457588/)

Course we still don't know for sure how much or anything else. :unsure:

Wouldn't want to be on a conference call with Messrs Jobs and McGraw this morning. :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... waiting... waiting... waiting...)

Beccaberry
27-01-2010, 01:34 PM
I'll be listening to live coverage on NPR all day :)

-Becca (...who's absolutely CERTAIN that's the nerdiest thing I've EVER said.) :geekon:

Skywatcher
27-01-2010, 01:38 PM
Yay one of us :geekon: 'Excelsior'

catrancher
27-01-2010, 01:40 PM
I'll be listening to live coverage on NPR all day

NPR's doing live coverage? :unsure:

That would be a surprise. Apple doesn't usually allow live broadcast coverage. I'll have to check it out.

Or get it off the live MacWorld web feed here (http://www.macworld.com/article/145805/2010/01/apple_event.html?lsrc=top_1).

Tom (:macwave:... still waiting... waiting... waiting...)

Beccaberry
27-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Tom...

Not sure exactly...on my ride into work the very last piece they did was on the new tablet and the upcoming announcement...then a snippet that said, "You can hear live coverage of the event here on NPR." My assumption is that they will probably just be doing reporting FROM the even, moreso than a streaming thing...

In the meantime, I'll go have a look at the link you've provided :)

keith
27-01-2010, 01:45 PM
leaked photos AppleInsider | Purported Apple tablet pictures leak at last minute (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/10/01/27/purported_apple_tablet_pictures_leak_at_last_minut e.html)

Skywatcher
27-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Well taht looks pretty rubbish TBF its all blurry and I'm not sure WHAT Jobs was thinking with that white pixelated area ;)

Beccaberry
27-01-2010, 01:54 PM
:laugh:

josh.p.
27-01-2010, 05:40 PM
I'm excited. Can we have a 'pacing for new apple products' thread? :unsure:

keith
27-01-2010, 06:17 PM
So the iPad it is! :D

Johnie
27-01-2010, 06:17 PM
I don't know why they wouldn't? They have a G system. :yes:

I did hear though that Sprint maybe? is going to carry the iPhone.

Of course. After I got stuck with AT&T. :sigh:

dunno....that's just what the news people said.

Oh! Has anyone seen the new Fender Eric Clapton phone thingie from T-Mobile? I see the commercial and think of Slowhand :tongue:

Tink
27-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Ummmm yep. There's a thread on it. :lol:

So! That's the new toy, eh?

Have you gotten it yet, Keith? Report please! :D :D :D

keith
27-01-2010, 06:30 PM
10hrs battery time watching video the whole time - 1 month standby time

good calendar by the looks, can run all iphone apps

wifi but no mention of 3g yet (so hopefully no contract needed but we'll see)

keith
27-01-2010, 06:56 PM
ibooks

catrancher
27-01-2010, 07:15 PM
iWant!

:taunt:

Tom (:macwave:... so what else is new?)

Britchick
27-01-2010, 07:16 PM
how much do i need to save? :unsure:

keith
27-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Price

Britchick
27-01-2010, 07:22 PM
So for the 3G- will you be able to use your iphone contract for that?

keith
27-01-2010, 07:24 PM
So for the 3G- will you be able to use your iphone contract for that?

Thats the unknown currently! if so, you wont need the 3G version but you would need to buy the tethering addon for your iphone contract

if not then youd need the 3g version and a separate deal

Britchick
27-01-2010, 07:26 PM
just found the macworld link- first thoughts what a great device to showcase you photos to clients

catrancher
27-01-2010, 07:34 PM
first thoughts what a great device to showcase you photos to clients

Ain't that the truth! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... this is just too cool!)

keith
27-01-2010, 07:46 PM
two - three months to get one though :sorry:

Britchick
27-01-2010, 08:00 PM
two - three months to get one though :sorry:

that's the perfect amount of time to save! wonder how much over here though :unsure:

josh.p.
27-01-2010, 08:24 PM
I'm probably going to be shot for saying this, but at first, I was really REALLY dissapointed!

However, as more and more was revealed I started to like the idea. My favourite parts where the iWork and the keyboard add on :yes:

I'm *estatic* that the iPad iTunes is closely resembles the actual one for computers :yes: I was saying to Keith that I didn't know *What* to expect, but I knew that wasn't quite it! However, after seeing all of the features, it's a good compromise. I'd have liked it to be a bit more on the computer side :yes:

I'm not gonna rush out and get it, *BUT* if they unveil a multitasking one as a 2nd revision, I'll buy it. :yes:

josh.p.
27-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Apple - iPad - The best way to experience the web, email, & photos (http://www.apple.com/ipad/) << Official apple link

keith
27-01-2010, 08:30 PM
I'd like one with the nice case... everything in one place and a nice replacement for the old filofax :lol:

josh.p.
27-01-2010, 08:34 PM
oh and I love your idea for using it Julie- showing graphics and photos to clients seems perfect!

Skywatcher
27-01-2010, 08:45 PM
Is it just me who thinks the price is actually fantastic for what you are getting :unsure:

Beccaberry
27-01-2010, 08:55 PM
:drool:

Still reading up on it...but....is nice! Is very nice!

Claire
27-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Just seen a picture of Steve Jobs holding it. He looks like a borrower holding an iTouch.

Britchick
27-01-2010, 09:29 PM
Is it just me who thinks the price is actually fantastic for what you are getting :unsure:

nope, not in dollars anyway. waiting to see how much it will be in the UK

josh.p.
27-01-2010, 09:35 PM
I agree :yes: I like it more I see people using it. When there are close up pictures of it in a dock looks rubbishy, when I've seen people holding it, looks much better :yes:

Skywatcher
27-01-2010, 10:08 PM
It is soooo thin. You will just know it will have that lovely apple feel to it.

Just realised this is the star trek pad made real!

keith
27-01-2010, 10:09 PM

absolutely great price! REALLY didnt expect it

keith
27-01-2010, 10:13 PM
It is soooo thin. You will just know it will have that lovely apple feel to it.

Just realised this is the star trek pad made real!

If no one makes a star trek application for that I'll be utterly astonished :lol:

Beccaberry
28-01-2010, 12:54 AM
:geekon:

Skywatcher
28-01-2010, 08:46 AM
Hmm

Now its the next day do I still want one..

No multitasking
No widescreen video
Still no flash support
No USB without an ugly adaptor

Still has some issues clearly

maybe the best way to multitask would be this....
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb84/sidleydoc/others/original.jpg

catrancher
28-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Yes. After thinking about it some more, there's a couple of issues that I'd like to see get resolved first.

I still think it's cool. And yes, I'd still like to have one. But in order for this thing to make the kind of inroads Apple would like to expect, I think it needs V2 of a few things. From a corporate enterprise perspective, it's still lacking some of the manageability and security features that it needs. Some of these are features are already there in the iPhone OS, so why not on the iPad.

I guess that this, like any other new technology, will have to undergo a degree of maturing before it's truly "ready for prime time".

However, that doesn't change the fact that I still think it's cool and at some point in time, I'm gonna want one! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.)

josh.p.
28-01-2010, 01:21 PM
I think this time next year it may be perfected. Although, it might be like the iPhone... they keep keeping something off of their devices and releasing it later and later :yes: I'd have liked to see iChat on there :yes: e

horsedog1
28-01-2010, 05:37 PM
:travolta:
Mine didn't! :taunt:

http://gallery.me.com/twgower/100188/IMG_0258/web.jpg?ver=12638404300001

Tom (:macwave:... I vote for Mac OS! So many frameworks, so little time!) :travolta: cool! :travolta:

Tink
28-01-2010, 05:50 PM
Uh oh! Look out Mama!!! The boy wants a new toy! :D :D

You have GOOD TASTE horsedog1 :D :D :D

catrancher
28-01-2010, 06:06 PM
You have GOOD TASTE horsedog1 :D :D :D

Except for the fact that the gadget in that picture is probably older than he is! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... naw, not the Newton. Keep bugging them for an iPad! :yes:)

Tink
28-01-2010, 06:39 PM
It's new to him! :D :D

Skywatcher
28-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Still not sure, part of me loves it , part of me wishes it would just be a little bit 'more' than a large iTouch

keith
28-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Still not sure, part of me loves it , part of me wishes it would just be a little bit 'more' than a large iTouch

I promise you it is :yes: wait and see the apps and feel how you can use it. Forget the actual hardware for now, there's more to it, honest :yes:

Beccaberry
28-01-2010, 09:00 PM
Sir, are you holding out on us?!!?! Do you already HAVE one?!?!

keith
28-01-2010, 09:11 PM
Sir, are you holding out on us?!!?! Do you already HAVE one?!?!

If I did, I couldn't say could I? but no I don't :lol:

I do have the new development kit and an insight into what can be done with the thing and honestly, the potential is amazing. The size, the new interfaces in there, it's going to be so much more than an ipod touch but what it'll be is *ALL* in the apps.

Seriously, it's all in the software/the platform

josh.p.
28-01-2010, 11:38 PM
If there was multitasking, I'd be sold. Or an app that had word processing, MSN and a web browser in one :yes:

keith
28-01-2010, 11:53 PM
If there was multitasking, I'd be sold. Or an app that had word processing, MSN and a web browser in one :yes:

well I believe it should have multitasking as well but several things to note

1. it DOES have multitasking of apple core apps, just not user apps. That could change, it's not physically beyond the device (although more memory would really be needed)

2. the reason it doesnt have user level app multitasking is battery life. Take a look at a lot of phones that do have it and the battery life is awful. Some would say they'd like the option (including me probably) BUT it's a valid concern

3. there are notifications on the iphone (and we assume on the ipad) which work in the background to trigger a dormant app and tell it that for example, an MSN message has come in. Assuming that the app has saved its state and can reload it quickly, it looks a lot like multitasking to the user. You/we havent seen many properly written notification apps yet but I have a few and they work VERY well indeed.

I think you'd find switching between msn/web/document on the tablet pretty easy and nice, nicer than on the existing iphone. To be honest, I'm not sure the screen is large enough to properly support all three activities on the single view anyway.

Again all I can say is, this is a new format. It's not an iphone, it's not a macbook and I think we'll use it in different ways. There are a load of people on the web today saying it's rubbish and I'm sure they'll continue to believe their own wibblings. I really believe if we drop our expectations of it being a small macbook or a large iphone and embrace it for what it is, something new and different, we'll enjoy the experience :yes:

(same goes for pc to mac switching by the way. If you spent hours/days thinking ARHGHGHGH *that* doesnt work the same, you're doomed. If you can put the pc experience away in a shoebox under the bed, and come to the mac afresh, all of a sudden it's a joy)

josh.p.
29-01-2010, 12:24 AM
for MY personal use of what I'd like a tablet to do, I'd sacrifice battery life for multitasking. However, I realise that Apple has to appeal lto the biggest market that it can, so I can see why they'd choose battery life over it :yes:

The more I see it, the more I like it, but the multitasking is what puts me off. I'd like a diary/note taking device for uni, and couldn't justify the weight/expense of carrying around a laptop, so this sort of device would be perfect for me :yes:

The main thing I want to know is, if I am in iWork.. and I get a push notification for an IM program, will I loose my work from iWork? :unsure:

keith
29-01-2010, 12:41 AM
The main thing I want to know is, if I am in iWork.. and I get a push notification for an IM program, will I loose my work from iWork? :unsure:

no absolutely not! This is what I'm trying to say, it's not really possible to grasp how the thing will work based on what we have today.

Basically, you'll be in iWork writing your doc, you'll get a notification of an MSN inbound, touch it and you'll see a quick flip over to your msn app. You'll do whatever in msn, touch iwork and blam, right back where you were in your document.

You may well be able to setup buttons at the bottom with your fave apps in them like the dock. See a notify in your msn button, touch it, reply, touch iwork, back.

Skywatcher
29-01-2010, 08:33 AM
Mmmm ok, I do still want one

The flash problem still is an issue for me - I listen to the football every weekend and have paid for the privalage of doing so , but it is streamed via a flash plug in - now it works on the macbook pro and the imac but not the iPhone and not seemingly the iPad; Also the kids love to play the flash games and ther eis a lot of the educational stuff on there which is flash based.

The idea of sitting in bed with the kids and an iPad is very appealing but this is still a big issue for me I'm afraid, one that will probably not ever be resolved

keith
29-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Hard to defend the flash decision :( it's more commercial than technical. Once they let flash/java, they've effectively lost their "apple store is the only place to buy apps" thing and all the money that results in.

HOWEVER, flash was only a result of html being so limited. HTML5 is a whole different beast and doesn't need flash to do the same kind of things. Over time it would be natural for most of the stuff that's flash now to transition to html5.

I think it would be next to impossible for apple to fail to support html5. So things could eventually resolve themselves without flash. In the interim, yeah, they're being silly with that decision I agree

catrancher
29-01-2010, 12:18 PM
There are a load of people on the web today saying it's rubbish and I'm sure they'll continue to believe their own wibblings.

Same thing many of the pundits said when the iPhone was announced. Yeah... like I believe them. In many cases, they can't think beyond the end of their cumulative noses! :unimpressed:

HTML5 is a whole different beast and doesn't need flash to do the same kind of things. Over time it would be natural for most of the stuff that's flash now to transition to html5.

If you've got a supported browser (Safari, Google Chrome, etc.) go to this page (http://www.youtube.com/html5) and try it out on Youtube. Just click on the "Join the HTML5 beta" link and after that, your Youtube videos will play using the HTML5 player rather than Flash. While it's certainly not complete, I think it looks pretty good and I look forward to the day when web standards supportable by all vendors will replace proprietary software.

Tom (:macwave:... who needs to dig into the SDK this weekend!)

josh.p.
29-01-2010, 02:59 PM
I think once I use it I will want it.... the race is on for them to get it out before I can afford a mac book though as I'm not the most patient person and I'll end up buying whatever I can afford soonest hahah

Skywatcher
29-01-2010, 03:27 PM
hmm , not sure I would have one over a macbook TBH, pretty sure the functionality of the laptop will be far greater , I'm sure the pad will fill a niche inbetween

josh.p.
29-01-2010, 03:37 PM
It'd be a cheaper alternative when I don't really want the macbook for graphics etc anyway, just college work and internet browsing :yes:

Look what I found;
Adobe Flash Platform Blog (http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplatform/)

Miaooowwww :rotfl:

catrancher
29-01-2010, 03:40 PM
hmm , not sure I would have one over a macbook TBH, pretty sure the functionality of the laptop will be far greater , I'm sure the pad will fill a niche inbetween

Absolutely agree! At least at this point in time. :yes:

One of the more interesting things to come out of this announcement however (at least to me), is the Apple A4 chipset. This puts the CPU and GPU of the machine directly under Apple's control. Currently of course, this is only significant for low power devices like the iPad and the iPhone. However, it "could" make their future so bright, they'd have to wear shades! :cool:

At that point, who knows! :brightidea:

Tom (:macwave:... makes for interesting speculation!)

Skywatcher
29-01-2010, 03:53 PM
:lol: Tom I only ever understand 47% of what you say but I trust you utterly. The more I see it the more I desire it, but then I am a total Apple convert now - only realised last night you could just drag a file or picture of the net and drop it into an email or document without having to save it to 'my documents'

I'm not sure how easy it will be to do wordprocessing and photo enhancements on an iPad - any idea???

catrancher
29-01-2010, 04:00 PM
I'm not sure how easy it will be to do wordprocessing and photo enhancements on an iPad - any idea???

I'll let you know after I get my hands on one! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... who thinks that 47% is a pretty good number!)

josh.p.
29-01-2010, 04:14 PM
I don't think its a replacement for those sorts of devices, it would just be a very convinient (and cheap) alternative to a full laptop if i'm only going to use a portion of the laptops functionality. I'll probably go with the macbook anyways :yes:

Skywatcher
29-01-2010, 04:18 PM
I thought you might Tom, it wasn't a random number ;)

catrancher
30-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Here's another rather interesting take on the whole thing by a current Mac/iPhone developer. Can't say I disagree with him!

Future Shock - Toffler anyone? (http://speirs.org/blog/2010/1/29/future-shock.html)

Tom (:macwave:... I think I like the way this guy thinks!)

josh.p.
30-01-2010, 07:09 PM
Too true :D To be completely fair, when it was released I was like NO NO NO NO NO (Keith can vouch for that.. I think he wanted to disown me), then as I read more about it/understood it fully, I realised it's a VERY good device, it does exactly what it's set out to do, nothing more, nothing less. :yes:

Skywatcher
31-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Even without the extras it will change the way we surf , being able to hand it around will be excellent

Maybe someone can help the one thing I get frustrated with on the iPhone when I am typing in an address bar etc is the lack of arrows to move the cursor forwards and backwards in the script, often pinger pressing to move it doesn't put it where I want and as far as I can tell there is no way to scrolll to the end of an address that is too long for the bar

:unsure: that probably made no sense

keith
31-01-2010, 08:05 PM
Even without the extras it will change the way we surf , being able to hand it around will be excellent

Maybe someone can help the one thing I get frustrated with on the iPhone when I am typing in an address bar etc is the lack of arrows to move the cursor forwards and backwards in the script, often pinger pressing to move it doesn't put it where I want and as far as I can tell there is no way to scrolll to the end of an address that is too long for the bar

It totally does make sense :yes: hold down your finger on any part of an address and you'll see a sort of magnifying glass bubble which you can accurately position. Job done :D

Skywatcher
31-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Well you live and learn. Cheers mate

catrancher
31-01-2010, 10:02 PM

Hmmm.... try this. See if I understood you correctly.

You want a way to scroll around in the address bar (or anywhere else for that matter) to change the insertion point. Correct?

If so, tap in the address bar so that the keyboard comes up. Now, tap and hold in the address bar. You should get a little magnifying glass that you can drag around in the address bar to your little hearts content. Also works in any date entry field where you've got the keyboard up.

Hope that was what you wanted. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... well... I'm trying!)

Britchick
01-02-2010, 07:04 PM
it looks nice but i won't be buying one until they get flash on there. Shame coz i could see myself on the sofa with one.

keith
01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
it looks nice but i won't be buying one until they get flash on there. Shame coz i could see myself on the sofa with one.

flash'll die don't worry, it'll increasingly become an irrelevant technology :yes:

Britchick
01-02-2010, 07:17 PM
that's good to know :thumbsup:

i read that you can't listen to music and do something else on it at the same time, is that true?

keith
01-02-2010, 07:24 PM
i read that you can't listen to music and do something else on it at the same time, is that true?

nah not true, total rubbish in fact :yes: of course you can listen to music whilst surfing the web, calendaring or whatever else.

This is all about moving from techy computers to easy to use "just work without being a rocket scientist" consumer devices. People have gotten all wrapped up in the techy buzzwords, no multitasking and this and that without understanding it properly.

I swear the only way to really understand will be to pick up the device once people have had time to develop the apps and understand what it can do. In the meantime, ignore the "doesnt do this/that", the folks saying it are basing their opinions on today's formats and today's technology. This is something new :yes:

Britchick
01-02-2010, 07:45 PM
okay, will wait and see :thumbsup:

josh.p.
01-02-2010, 10:28 PM
nah not true, total rubbish in fact :yes: of course you can listen to music whilst surfing the web, calendaring or whatever else.

This is all about moving from techy computers to easy to use "just work without being a rocket scientist" consumer devices. People have gotten all wrapped up in the techy buzzwords, no multitasking and this and that without understanding it properly.

I swear the only way to really understand will be to pick up the device once people have had time to develop the apps and understand what it can do. In the meantime, ignore the "doesnt do this/that", the folks saying it are basing their opinions on today's formats and today's technology. This is something new :yes:
I still want my macbook :D :rotfl:

keith
01-02-2010, 10:34 PM
I still want my macbook :D :rotfl:

well I have a macbook pro as well of course :) Apple themselves have said they see the tablet as a middle product not a replacement :yes:

Skywatcher
02-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Very tempted, only thing that makes me wary is getting the first release , only for it to become outdated with a v2 6 months later :unsure:

keith
02-02-2010, 02:17 PM
Very tempted, only thing that makes me wary is getting the first release , only for it to become outdated with a v2 6 months later :unsure:

well yeah I can't disagree there, it definitely looks a very v1 release :( there'll be an onboard camera for SURE in a v2 and I can't see that being too far down the line. I'd bet for a v2 inside a year tbh

Sigh, I can't resist, in fact I'll be hard pushed to wait the extra 30 days for the 3g version for which I know I should wait.

Ah well, there's always ebay :yes:

keith
02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
and as if by magic.... sure sign of a v2 with camera
Neowin.net - iPad hardware is already designed for a camera (http://www.neowin.net/news/ipad-hardware-is-already-designed-for-a-camera)