View Full Version : Scotland

18-01-2010, 07:31 PM
Dh's Mother lives near Elgin, Scotland so we will be going up there in the summer holidays. We have been up a couple of times and done quite a bit in the area but we're going to take our time getting there. Not sure of which other parts to explore- even thinking we may go youth hosteling :unsure: any experiences of that too would be good.

Should we go to the top of Scotland or stick to the west coast (i hear it's beautiful) We have been to skye for an overnight trip but it was overcast LOL

18-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Oooooh! you could drive 25 miles east of Elgin and visit me and Gypsy in Cullen. We have a fab ice-cream shop and are the home of Cullen Skink. (Smoked hadock creamy soup)

Some photos of our beach in this link.
MORAY - Cullen and Portnockie , Scotland Photographs, Photography pictures by stock photographer Doug Houghton (http://www.doughoughton.com/webpage/page/page095.html)

Although we will be spending 3 weeks of the summer in Florida lol.

18-01-2010, 08:25 PM
Oooooh, I love Haddock! :yes: :D

18-01-2010, 08:35 PM
ha Bambi, that's where MIL must have taken the kids for ice cream- Jon and i were in the isle of skye when she went so that's why i didn't go. It looks truely beautiful. MIL actually lives in Aberlour.

18-01-2010, 08:36 PM
oh and i love cullen skink, any local restaurants do it?

18-01-2010, 09:19 PM
I went on a cycling/youth hostelling holiday on the Isle of Wight with a friend when i was 15 - never again! :lol:

One thing and I don't know if it is still done like this and I am sure they have moved on but we stayed in a superior yh and a standard yh and believe me you wouldn't have liked the standard one! :lol:

18-01-2010, 09:22 PM
Oh, oh, take me, take me! I would love to go to Scotland!!

18-01-2010, 10:12 PM
Most of the local hotels restaurants and even the tearooms do Cullen skink, although Baxter’s visitors centre in Fochabers does a lovely plate of Cullen Skink and you can follow it with one of their fresh made pancakes.
Here's a piccy of my kids when they were wee at Baxters. lol

Aberlour is lovely, we love going that way on drives down to Granton. Way back when we were first married my hubby worked for the distilleries so knows the roads well. Oooh! you should do the whisky trail.

19-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I live in Elgin and it is a beautiful part of the country. I love going to Baxters for pancakes and also in Elgin is the Cashmere Centre, great to have a look round but wow! is it expensive? There are some lovely walks round Cullen, I don't think you can go over the viaduct any more because of the floods earlier in the year but it is really lovely

19-01-2010, 07:08 PM
we've done the Aberlour distillery tour, can walk to it (and stagger back) from MILs! can you recommend any others?