PDA

View Full Version : any diet threads going on?

BigThunder
26-01-2010, 06:25 PM
I tried to search but my ability (& patients) aren't the best. I know in the past there was one after the new year & since I'm on one I thought I'd see if anyone else here was.

If someone could let me know :)
thanks!

DisneyFreak
26-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I'm looking for one also. I want to share my secret on how I lost 2.5 pounds while on our 7-night Disney cruise!! :thumbsup:

Only 35 lbs to go.

BigThunder
26-01-2010, 06:45 PM
Cool, DisneyFreak. It's rare to go on a vacation & lose weight, lol.

I've lost 12 pounds since the 1st & just looking for some forms of encouragement & things to keep me motivated, like other dieters. I'm trying to get in better shape for my trip in July.

DisneyFreak
26-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Cool, DisneyFreak. It's rare to go on a vacation & lose weight, lol.

I've lost 12 pounds since the 1st & just looking for some forms of encouragement & things to keep me motivated, like other dieters. I'm trying to get in better shape for my trip in July.

Yeah, I was quite shocked when I got on the scale the morning after we returned. I wasn't planning on losing weight but wanted to watch what I ate/drank/did on the cruise. I made sure we took the stairs at least half the time. When at the buffet I limited my portion size and didn't go up for seconds and at dinner I had fish 5 out of the 7 nights of the cruise (other two nights I had Beef Wellington and Lamb). I didn't cheat myself either on food. I had plenty of bread, dessert and alcoholic beverages. We walked alot at the ports and on the ship.

I think I have finally learned that it's not about dieting but a change in lifestyle. If you exercise and watch your portion control, eat plenty of fruits and veggies, you can eat about anything you want. We have real butter, real sour cream, real mayo (w/canola oil)....some of the "diet" food is just loaded with sugar. I have lost 17 pounds since December 1st. It's not coming off fast but it is coming off and I think this is the healtier way to go about it.

Get job on your lost weight and keep up the good work!!! :thumbsup:

Tink
26-01-2010, 08:23 PM
Yep, that's it exactly. A change of lifestyle (which can mean a change in food).

Big Thunder! Good to see you! :yes: Hope you had a wonderful Christmas season.

We used to have a social group kind of thing, where we would post to it?

Why not make this the 2010 Diet Thread?! :yes: There are several members here who are changing the way they eat in an effort to get healthy. :yes:

Britchick
26-01-2010, 09:17 PM
Hun i've been on a diet for over 20 years permanently LOL. I'm trying Paul McKenna i an make you thin at the moment. I think there's a series been on TV in the US

AbbyAddiesmom09
26-01-2010, 10:15 PM
Oh I need this! With our trip in sept. DH and I are determined to get the weight off and get healthy...I don't want to have to hide behind my girls in the pics lol Unfortunately I had nerve release surgery back in November and will have another nerve release surgery done Feb 10th so it keeps pushing back my efforts :( But now that florida is slowly warming back up I think we'll start doing our family walks again...

I just need motivation and accountability....so count me in!

BigThunder
26-01-2010, 10:25 PM
Ok, girls (& any guys reading this) if no one has already started a healthy living 2010 thread i'm gonna do it :)

Oh & Tink, thanks, yes I had a nice Xmas & new year. I have been a bit busy since which is why my absence the past month or so.

DisneyFreak
26-01-2010, 11:24 PM
(& any guys reading this)

:wave:

BigThunder
27-01-2010, 12:39 AM
I started a diet thread called Gettin' Thin in 2010, so come on over & join in : )

gwennie81
27-01-2010, 03:13 AM
I did Weight Watchers and lost almost 30 lbs. My mom is approaching 60 lbs. lost!
The thing about weight loss with me is that if I eat salad instead of french fries, I feel like I'm being punished. I can't change that mentality, no matter how many meeting I go to. My food choices have to be my own and I've been doing pretty dang good since I made goal and dropped out of the program. I also have a friend that did Jenny Craig and dropped a bunch of weight in a short period of time. She looks great!

Tink
27-01-2010, 03:22 AM
That takes some work to get your head around it, doesn't it Gwennie? I know what you mean. I have worked hard to teach myself that the salad is a much better choice for me, my health, my pocketbook, etc. than the fries.

I can eat up to three ounces of dark chocolate without a rise in blood glucose, but if I eat even a quarter cup of french fries, that bg goes through the roof! So! I've taught myself that the french fries are the punishment!

One thing I have found too, if I go without something long enough, for example white pasta, I don't like it as much when I have it again. So that helps. The catch is staying away from it long enough for it to lose it's "hold" on you. :D I eat whole wheat pasta if I eat any at all, now. (Super rarely though, that spikes the bg too).

I've also learned that rewards need to be something other than food, eh?

Another thing I had to learn, and am still refining, is what works for ME. We can support one another and share tips, but it's critical to remember that what works for one person may very well not work at all for another. Particularly where it comes to putting food in your body. Each food product works differently between people. It's the learning what works for you that is the challenge. :yes: But what good results when you find out!

Tinkfan
27-01-2010, 01:45 PM
Tink, it's tomato soup for me, huge spike!! We rarely eat fries so when I do I don't usually feel guilty but for me it's carbs, I'm not a big meat eater, don't like sour cream or alot of dressing for my salads but holy cow, pasta, baked potatoes.....:sorry: ( chocolate.......)

DisneyFreak
27-01-2010, 03:49 PM
I can eat up to three ounces of dark chocolate without a rise in blood glucose, but if I eat even a quarter cup of french fries, that bg goes through the roof! So! I've taught myself that the french fries are the punishment!

Starches are terrible for BG levels. They almost instantly turn to sugar in the body. I just went in this morning to go over my bloodwork and lipid profile (triglycerides, cholesterol total, HDL & LDL) and all were within normal ranges. That's 18 months now for normal readings (I am still taking Niaspan and Fenofibrate to regulate). My only number our of whack was Glucose. That number was 107 but it is a number that fluctuates quite a bit. My doctor wants to retest it next week and then again in 4 months. It should be under 100 and I don't want it going over 125 (Diabetes).

Tink
27-01-2010, 04:13 PM
100 is a good goal. Do what it takes, and trust me on this, the key is the food. For some of us, anything at all that we put in our bodies (bellies :D )is truly "medicine."

You can eat bad medicine (and physiologically react to that) or good medicine, ditto. :yes:

DisneyFreak
27-01-2010, 04:44 PM
You can eat bad medicine

As soon as I read Bad Medicine I thought of this:

:point:

ExAEywTc53k

Tinkfan
27-01-2010, 09:19 PM
:ROFL::ROFL:

BigThunder
27-01-2010, 10:10 PM
Tink, it's tomato soup for me, huge spike!! We rarely eat fries so when I do I don't usually feel guilty but for me it's carbs, I'm not a big meat eater, don't like sour cream or alot of dressing for my salads but holy cow, pasta, baked potatoes.....:sorry: ( chocolate.......)

My food weakness was not a normal one. It was Pringles. Plain, original Pringles. I was like a crack head with them. I had gotten so bad i would buy a cannister on the way to pick up my girls from school & they would be polished off by bedtime. I swore they put something addictive in them, lol. But so far I'm now 27 days Pringle free!!

Tink
27-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Believe it or not, I'm that way with Twizzlers! The plain red ones. I'd get a bag, open then to let them dry out a bit, and then devour them. :sorry:

One year (about 3 years ago now) Herself bought me a two pound bag for Christmas... I ate the whole thing on Christmas day. :embarassed: That woke me up and haven't had any since!

BigThunder
28-01-2010, 04:51 PM
David used to love twizzlers & I'm thinking when we used to do low fat diets he'd consume those like crazy! Of course I'm sure they are made of almost all sugar, lol.

Tink
28-01-2010, 05:52 PM
Yep. I know. :sigh:

The thing is? With all the seriously good food out there, Twizzlers? I mean really! Plastic sticks for the most part! :lol:

BigThunder
28-01-2010, 06:21 PM
HAHAHA, I know. Pringles was my drug of choice so what can I say? :D

Beccaberry
28-01-2010, 06:29 PM
Twizzlers :drool:

:sigh:

Tink
28-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Something about those silly things, isn't there? :sorry:

Beccaberry
28-01-2010, 06:42 PM
I will admit, that in the rare (very rare) times when the kids and I go to the movies...we buy the huge two pounder and it's TOTALED before the end of the show.

Britchick
28-01-2010, 08:11 PM
Tink! i'm shocked. You must have had stomach ache!

Tink
29-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Ayuh. :sigh: But it was at least three years ago... had more of a stomach then. :D

Beccaberry
29-01-2010, 02:03 AM
Nope. Given the chance, I could still put away a bag of 'em.

Tink
29-01-2010, 02:20 AM
We'll have to have a Twizzler eating contest one day, Becca. :D :D Give me a chance to force off this last 20 though, first ok? :D

Tinkfan
29-01-2010, 02:25 AM
:dance: twizzlers? Now if you said Lindt truffles we could have a party!!

Beccaberry
29-01-2010, 02:25 AM
We'll have to have a Twizzler eating contest one day, Becca. :D :D Give me a chance to force off this last 20 though, first ok? :D

You're ON!!! :bounce:

DisneyFreak
29-01-2010, 03:25 AM
:holysheep:

:focus: