PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever been to...

Claire
07-02-2010, 07:47 PM
Singapore?

If so, what was it like? Much to see and do? :unsure:

josh.p.
07-02-2010, 08:05 PM
I've heard that it's amazing! My Mum's friend has visited with work and her pictures are spectacular. I'm slightly biased in the fact that I absolutely love asia, though :yes:

Britchick
07-02-2010, 08:11 PM
Jon was born there, we plan to go at some point probably sans rug rats!

Skywatcher
07-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Never been - its on 'The List' as it looks amazing :yes:

Claire
07-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks for the replies. :) DH has the chance of a job there and initially we'd join him during school holidays. I can't really find any websites that tell me what I need to know.

Skywatcher
07-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Singer poor? :unsure:

http://images.mirror.co.uk/upl/m4/nov2009/9/2/image-6-for-jedwood-on-gmtv-gallery-884340742.jpg

Britchick
07-02-2010, 08:52 PM
so you'll be sipping singapore slings in Raffles dahling? fabulous:tongue:

Claire
07-02-2010, 08:59 PM
so you'll be sipping singapore slings in Raffles dahling? fabulous:tongue:

Now you're talking! Although with Maisie hyperventilating when she discovered there's a KFC in Singapore I fear the reality will be somewhat different!

Skywatcher - :lol:

kazzaqld
08-02-2010, 02:40 AM
I went for a few days with DMIL in 1999 - will try and remember what we did and saw!

It's a lovely city - we enjoyed it.

We did the Singapore sling thing at Raffles - very touristy!

We did the cable car to Sentosa.

We went on a day trip to Malaysia.

I'll dig the photos out and see what I remember.

Slowhand
08-02-2010, 10:28 AM
I`ve been there on business and I was so impressed that my DW and I took in a few days there as part of a package holiday a few years ago.
I recall it being a very clean place..it was a criminal offence to drop litter ages before we caught on. Chewing gum was also banned due to the mess it caused on the pavements.
Having said that, causing a mess is expected in the bar at Raffles where you simply throw your peanut shells onto the floor as it is a kind of tradition!
Shopping/dining is great and a trip to the island of Sentosa is also recommended.

One thing that sticks in my mind is that every commercial vehicle has a yellow light on it`s roof. It illuminates when the vehicle is at or below the speed limit or is stationary, and goes out when the vehicle exceeds a certain speed which makes it easy for the police to nab speeders!

I`d love to go back there one day at the same time that they stage the F1 Grand Prix.

keith
08-02-2010, 11:07 AM
I
I`d love to go back there one day at the same time that they stage the F1 Grand Prix.

:yes: night race as well, I'm very tempted!

Claire
08-02-2010, 11:25 AM
Tickets for the 2010 race go on sale March 1st!

keith
08-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Tickets for the 2010 race go on sale March 1st!

arghrghrghrhgrg don't tempt me :lol:

Seriously though, I've heard nothing but great things about Singapore. If I was offered a chance to work out there, i'd jump at it for the experience.

Disneybumble
08-02-2010, 03:37 PM
No experience of Signapore but lived abroad in the Middle East as a child,and it was a great experience as a child.

How does Poppy feel?

Claire
08-02-2010, 04:02 PM
How does Poppy feel?

Excited. If DH goes for the job she will go with him initially leaving me and the two youngest here. The biggest problem I can see on the horizon is what provision there is in Singapore for Autistic children. I have discovered The Eden School for Autistic children but whether it is any good I don't know.

Disneybumble
09-02-2010, 10:28 AM
Excited. If DH goes for the job she will go with him initially leaving me and the two youngest here. The biggest problem I can see on the horizon is what provision there is in Singapore for Autistic children. I have discovered The Eden School for Autistic children but whether it is any good I don't know.

I wondered about the schools. If all goes ahead would you be able to vist schools. Also the ex-pat's should be a good source of info.