PDA

View Full Version : The End Of the Shuttle Era Nears

ukwdwnut
08-02-2010, 01:34 PM
as the shuttle program is nearing an end, 4 more after the one that went up, last night/today.

what is taking its place if obama has cancelled the 2 new rocket programs?

is there a new re-usable ship thats going to populate the new space station?

Skywatcher
09-02-2010, 07:58 AM
no :sigh:

I have no idea how they will service the ISS or heavy lift some of the projects they have been planning for years like the James Webb scope

keith
09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
It's very sad indeed

I think they're hoping commercial space flight will take over the slack and I hope that works out but all the same it's a very sad development.

Skywatcher
09-02-2010, 11:18 AM
I do believe that the UN shoudl have a Space programme if I'm honest - never been fully comfortable with one nation spending all the money.

We need to do this to drive humanity forwards

It is more important than I can put into a cohesive sentance

keith
09-02-2010, 11:21 AM
Completely agree with that :yes:

ukwdwnut
09-02-2010, 05:53 PM
im all for that too :yes:

Johnie
09-02-2010, 06:24 PM
Forgive me my ignorance :sorry:

I'm all for space exploration and all we can learn about this vast universe. However, how exactly would this move humanity forward? :unsure:

Quite frankly, the majority of the world lives in abject poverty where they don't have running water, proper food to eat, medicine to get rid of diseases the modern world has been immunized against, etc. These people probably don't even know about space exploration.....how would that move them forward?

keith
09-02-2010, 06:56 PM
not ignorance, a perfectly valid opinion :yes:

The thing is, it's not space travel that has stopped the US, or the rest of the world, from solving the problems of poverty. What HAS stopped us would be the subject of a very worthwhile discussion but the entire NASA budget is a small percentage of the whole, less than 1%. So if we really wanted to address poverty at home and/or around the world, elimination of space exploration shouldn't be the first target. I think the US spends around $12,000,000 an hour being in Iraq for example (at least that's what I read, either way it's a huge amount).

Space exploration moves humanity forward by advancing science not just up there but all around us. Got a gps in your car? Thank NASA. Sent a text or made an international phone call? NASA again. Understanding climate change, the ozone hole, all sorts of humanity threatening events all facilitated by science coming from space exploration. Pondering where a lot of medical science came from, all roads lead to exploration, experimentation and the ideals that drove pioneers to push ever further on earth, under the sea and in space.

We should remember too that the money spent isn't sent off to the singing bats on the third fireplanet from ursa minor, it's spent here on earth employing people who then respend that money in the global economy and of course, pay back a fair (cough) share in taxes. So it's not lost money to the economy in any sense.

Ach, there are so many great arguments for it but somehow the one that sounds least persuasive on screen feels so importantly personally. Why explore? Because it's what we do! We don't hunker down and stay in a cave we venture out, explore, meet, adapt, hopefully improve. What would life really be if the totality of it were just toiling away until we fall over and then amplify that by a whole civilisation. Surely there must be more to us than just surviving.

Johnie
09-02-2010, 09:12 PM
Very good explanation, thank you Keith. That makes much more sense :yes:

ukwdwnut
09-02-2010, 09:17 PM
also just to add, how much more do all the western countries have to pour into the third world countries, its already a humungous amount, and its been that way since i was a small kid...its about time some infrastructure was built for them, dont just give money to the governments to spend on arms...why do they walk miles and miles everyday to water, why not just move their camps to where the water is to save those daily trips :unsure:

Johnie
09-02-2010, 09:19 PM
Mick, I have no answer to any of those problems. It's probably far more complex than I can even fathom. I do know that many of the governments are corrupt and don't care about their people.

keith
09-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Mick, I have no answer to any of those problems. It's probably far more complex than I can even fathom. I do know that many of the governments are corrupt and don't care about their people.

indeed :( It was many years ago but I remember someone from one of the main international aid charities telling me how little got through no matter how hard they tried and worse how they struggled to tackle it because a) the moment they get political, they're kicked out of the country/or just plain shot and then NO aid gets through b) the more they explain it, the more people think well there's no point giving then is there

ukwdwnut
10-02-2010, 12:34 AM

neither do i hun, its just a plain simple fact and not an easy one by far to answer, id rather give to sort out out home b4 others too many homeless etc here to deal with first