PDA

View Full Version : Was anyone else totally unaware

Dawn
02-13-2010, 07:53 AM
...that the winter olympics have started? :unsure:

How did that one pass me by then?

Claire
02-13-2010, 09:38 AM
The BBC have been doing those ad things between programmes for about a week now but other than that I've seen no other info about it . We are in line to get about 5 golds they say.

mumof2
02-13-2010, 11:07 AM
i knew they were starting soon.....:unsure:

which tv channel's covering them then?

ukwdwnut
02-13-2010, 11:14 AM
yeah its been advertised on tv enough :)

its on bbc2 in the early hrs as they are 7hrs behind us :(

highlights are in the afternoons

mumof2
02-13-2010, 11:15 AM
i have the british euro sport channel on, is that this years olympics though? :unsure:

mumof2
02-13-2010, 11:17 AM
oh oh found it!

BBC2 12 o'clock......Opening ceremony highlights, more highlights tomorrow same time same chanel!

Skywatcher
02-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Blimey some poor soul died on the luge today !

mumof2
02-13-2010, 12:20 PM

yes i saw that.....how awful, 21 years old i gather :sigh:

"Nodar Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled during a test run and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center. Kumaritashvili, of the former Soviet republic of Georgia, died of his injuries"

Slowhand
02-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Yep, that footage leading up to the accident was actually on the BBC tv News yesterday.They didn`t show the actual few moments though as they considered it to be too distressing.

Tink
02-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Yes, he was a 21 year old Georgian luger. Incredibly sad. The Opening Ceremony paid respect to his loss, it was done very well.

I love Canada. I love Canada with all my heart. They are such a diverse country and so very inclusive of everyone. They did an incredible job of incorporating so many apsects of their country into the Opening Ceremony, from someone who rocketed to fame through You Tube, to the beautiful voiced K.D. Lang, to Bryan Adams, to their native peoples... it was beautiful.

Even with the last "leg" of the final torch display did not rise, they were unfazed and the final lighting took place. Wayne Gretzky (of course, who else could it possibly be!) then rode with the lit torch across the city to the outdoor torch. Beautiful.

Nancy Green!!! She was my alpine idol when I was a kid. She was one who carried in the Olympic flag, along with Terry Fox's Mom.

I love the Olympics, the Winter Olympics in particular, and I hope I am able to see some of these games (what with all my travel).

Dorothy
02-13-2010, 04:09 PM
We watched some of it last night, but fell asleep about 10:00 so we missed the end of the opening ceremony.

kazzaqld
02-13-2010, 10:33 PM
It's on in the wee hours of the morning here so I probably won't see much. There are a few Aussies who are medal hopefuls.:skibanana:

Yes, even my country with its reputation for sun and surf has some Winter Olympians

Tink
02-13-2010, 10:36 PM
New Zealand has a speed skater in the mix. :yes:

Watching some of the men's competition. The Netherlands took first place in the 12 lap speed skating competition. Good run!

mumof2
02-13-2010, 10:53 PM
Yep, that footage leading up to the accident was actually on the BBC tv News yesterday.They didn`t show the actual few moments though as they considered it to be too distressing.

i can't remember which channel it was on but i did see some footage of just prior to the accident. you saw the poor lad sort of flip out and his body flying through the air but not the actual impact. I was quite astonished that they'd shown that much, i must admit....

:redroses:

catrancher
02-13-2010, 11:15 PM
Looks like a really beautiful place! I'd love to visit some day.

In summer! :wink:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXqKORNdDh4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HXqKORNdDh4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Tom (:macwave:... lovely... eh?)

Tink
02-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Mairead, I didn't see it, and will go out of my way to make sure I don't, but they were showing the entire accident from the loss of control, to the impact to the resuscitation efforts. I can't even imagine why any news channed would think that was appropriate. :(

They've had the family from Georgia, and the little village where he grew up on the news too. Too terribly sad. :(

mumof2
02-14-2010, 01:02 AM
oh good grief Tink, and I thought what i saw was shocking.....

Tink
02-14-2010, 01:06 AM
Men's short track right now. Candian, Olivier Jean has just set a record, and the heats aren't done yet!

Short track scares the daylights out of me! :eek: But it's exciting!

Shellyamc
02-15-2010, 07:02 AM
i can't remember which channel it was on but i did see some footage of just prior to the accident. you saw the poor lad sort of flip out and his body flying through the air but not the actual impact. I was quite astonished that they'd shown that much, i must admit....

:redroses:

They showed the entire thing here..over and over and over :sigh:

the impact, and them doing cpr and pounding on his chest..the blood..everything.

It was one of the most horrible things I have ever seen.

His family saw it..I just can't even imagine so many people watching your son die..

Dawn
02-15-2010, 07:30 AM
Why does American TV do that? What on earth do they think is good about showing someone die over and over again. Why is it good viewing.

Seriously over here if a soccer player gets a bad injury the cameras cut away from them. Respect, that's what it is.

Skywatcher
02-15-2010, 07:52 AM
:yes: indeed it is Dawn

We were watching luge and speed skating last night, it was awesome :D

Dawn
02-15-2010, 08:13 AM
We watched the luge too. Amazing that the difference between gold medal and last place can be just a body's length. Although with those VERY tight luge suits I would have rethought some of those camera angles. :eek:

And speed skating is always good for a pile up on the bends. :point:

Skywatcher
02-15-2010, 08:29 AM
I have to say I do wartch the winter olympics mainly for the pile ups - they keep showing footage of the last olympics with the cross boader who was well in the lead and she was showing off on the jumps and binned it :laugh: bless

Dawn
02-15-2010, 08:31 AM
I saw that too. That was a massive :point:

I'm very disappointed that ski jumping has got so much better now - not a single crumpled landing so far. :unimpressed:

Skywatcher
02-15-2010, 08:54 AM
Its the new rules - never again will we have another Eddie the Eagle :sigh:

chief
02-15-2010, 09:34 AM
i dont get it, are the winter olympics every year or what? it seems to come around very quickly!!

Skywatcher
02-15-2010, 09:48 AM
I know that feeling :lol: no they are every 4 years

chief
02-15-2010, 10:00 AM
wow time really does move fast when your're having fun!!!!

Tink
02-15-2010, 11:35 AM
Eddie the Eagle!!! OMG, I thought he was the greatest!!! Now THAT'S Olympic spirit. :yes:

It was just so great to see Canada win Gold on their own ground for the first time ever. The leaky factor came hard and fast when the skier (moguls) said he'd won it for his brother (who has CP and was in the audience). What a moment. Canada ERUPTED!!!!

Those are the counterpoints to the sadnesses, the losses, the falling on the ice. What was UP with the Russian man and Ukraine man skaters in the paired/doubles? Whew. The Russian was so upset he was in tears. :(

Well, I don't expect I'll get to see much more, as it's the work week now and I'm off to not so sunny Maryland. :sigh:

Slowhand
02-15-2010, 12:07 PM
And speed skating is always good for a pile up on the bends. :point:
Sadly that`s why loads of folk watch Formula 1, they reckon the race is boring unless they see an accident! :shrug:
I remember watching one of my heroes [Ayrton Senna] having his fatal accident at Imola in 1994 and it put me off watching any live Grand Prix for quite a while.

dumbo77
02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
me too i didnt realise it started , nor do i understand anyone who wants to hurl themselves 90miles an hour down a mountain wearing nothing more than a shower curtain for protection:unsure:

Skywatcher
02-15-2010, 02:53 PM
Eddie the Eagle!!! OMG, I thought he was the greatest!!! Now THAT'S Olympic spirit. :yes:

Totally agree! and Eric the Eel - but due to recent changes there will be no more of either - which is a great great shame - nomore amateurs at the games :sigh:

Terry, I do watch the games for the sport but with all things its the thrills and spills that make it entertaining - Senna was a huge hero of mine as well, a brilliant driver in anyones books - was in shock for weeks after that

Tinker
02-15-2010, 03:07 PM
Yes, he was a 21 year old Georgian luger. Incredibly sad. The Opening Ceremony paid respect to his loss, it was done very well.

I love Canada. I love Canada with all my heart. They are such a diverse country and so very inclusive of everyone. They did an incredible job of incorporating so many apsects of their country into the Opening Ceremony, from someone who rocketed to fame through You Tube, to the beautiful voiced K.D. Lang, to Bryan Adams, to their native peoples... it was beautiful.

Even with the last "leg" of the final torch display did not rise, they were unfazed and the final lighting took place. Wayne Gretzky (of course, who else could it possibly be!) then rode with the lit torch across the city to the outdoor torch. Beautiful.

I love the Olympics, the Winter Olympics in particular, and I hope I am able to see some of these games (what with all my travel). I do too Sister Tink . :yes: Reminded me of the lovely film in the WS with Martin Short .
How about the new remake of We Are The World for Haiti . MJ added to the video with Janet singing next to him . Celine Dion, Barbra Streistrand, Tony Bennet, Snopp Dog , Pink , and so many more . Lionel Richie that still looks good was on Oprah and said how funny it was Tony Bennett talking to Snoop Doggie Dog, Barbra Streistrand talking Lil ? He said , it was hilarious . I anticipated it from then on and it was soooo short I miss it or is that it ? :unsure:

Tink
02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
Yeah, truth be told, I kind of freak out at the spills. I'm always too afraid that someone is going to be seriously hurt.

Sister Tinker, I'm not a fan of the remake. :sorry:

josh.p.
02-16-2010, 11:28 AM
I'm not usually one for the olympics but I love the winter olympics! Did anyone catch the snowboarding cross last night?

Tink
02-16-2010, 12:26 PM
Yes! Talk about wild sport! :eek: WOWEEEE!!!! LOL.

Saw some of the pairs skating too. Not a big fan of it, but it seemed particularly boring with old music, and lackluster routines. :unsure:

The Men's Downhill was great too! Felt bad for the rookie though. No fun to crash like that. At least he was ok. :yes:

Mari
02-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Well.. I know about them.. but cant watch one :(

only ONE Tv station bought the rights to the transmission, and they decided to only show the highlights.. starting at ELEVEN PM nightly!!!...

As much as I love the Winter Olympics, I just cannot stay up until 11.... phew.... very disappointed!

Dawn
02-22-2010, 08:07 AM
Who watched the ski cross yesterday - FULLY TOTALLY BONKERS!

Me and Adrian were watching it and all you could hear was us two going "woah" and "ooooh" and "argh" and "eek".

It was immense and I can't wait for the women's event tomorrow. My new favourite winter sport. :thumbsup:

Skywatcher
02-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Thanks for the text last night mate

Ski cross is now my 'best' :D

I would itch up to that final drop and peer over it chad like - it looks frankly terrifying. Have been really impressed with all the 'new' sports this year, new to me at least.

Dawn
02-22-2010, 08:12 AM
You have to be a bit missing up top to do that. Just before I texted you there was an American skier who dislocated his hip two weeks ago going in a heat. :eek:

Definitely my best too.

Tink
02-22-2010, 11:49 AM
It's an amazing sport and I'd have tried it in a heartbeat (years ago)! :yes:

The British women won the Skeleton, you know that, right? Now that's INSANE! :eek:

Head first down the luge run? Uhhhh, nope!

Did you see Johnny Wier skate? :D

Dawn
02-22-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't watching the skating. It doesn't give the adrenalin buzz that watching someone fly headfirst down a slope on a tea tray does. :lol:

Tink
02-23-2010, 01:30 AM
That about describes the skeleton! :eek: SHEESH!!!! I'm all for extreme speed and winter sports and all that hoorah, but SHEEEEEEESH!!!! That skeleton stuff is just totally bonkers! :yes:

Beccaberry
02-23-2010, 02:05 AM
TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINK!!! Did you see all the flannel last night during ice dancing?!!?!! :eek:

AND THEY SKATED TO JOHN DENVER!!!!!!!!

Tink
02-23-2010, 03:27 AM
HOLY COW!!!!! DID you SEE THAT??? SHE lifted HIM!!!

Don't mess with those British women! :D :D LOVED IT!!!

Skywatcher
02-23-2010, 07:46 AM
A tad dissapointed that the team ski jumping was done as individual jumps and not all 4 going at 1 time :D

Dawn
02-23-2010, 08:10 AM
That is not team jumping. :unimpressed:

Women's ski cross tonight. Already have my sofa reserved. :mental:

Skywatcher
02-23-2010, 08:20 AM
:mental: coool - what time?

Tink
02-23-2010, 01:03 PM
No Becca, I'm heartily grateful I missed that! LOL.

I did see the skaters who skated to Ave Maria though! :eek: TOTALLY inappropriate. * sniff *

Skywatcher! :lol: Yeah, that would be some kinda' team sport that would!

Dawn
03-02-2010, 06:40 PM
Vancouver 2010 for the PS3 has a ski cross game on it. :mental: :mental: :mental:

Skywatcher
03-02-2010, 08:15 PM
MArio and Sonic and the Winter olympic games on Wii is even better and that has ski cross on it as well as about 20 other events :thumbsup: