PDA

View Full Version : Pre trip Kenya

Skywatcher
18-02-2010, 08:32 PM
Got the camera :D

Just booked the Safari - 2 nights and 3 days in Tsavo East/West

Tsavo East National Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tsavo_East_National_Park)

Got our own private car taking us and staying at 2 lodges itinerary is

this :mental:
Day one.
Pick up at 06.30 hrs and head to Tsavo East through Bachuma gate. On entering park game drive begins until aprox 13.00 hrs when you arrive at Voi Safari lodge for lunch and check in. You will then relax until 16.00 hrs when you proceed for the evening game drive that will last till 18.30 hrs. Dinner and overnight will be at Voi Safari Lodge.

Day two.

Early morning game drive at 06.30 hrs till 08.30 hrs when you drive back for the main breakfast. You will later check out with your luggage and head to Tsavo West through Tsavo river gate. On entering park, game drive will continue until you arrive at Ngulia Safari Lodge for lunch and check in. At 16.00 hrs you will proceed for the evening game drive in the Rhino sanctuary until 18.00 hrs when you drive back for an appointment with the leopard. Every evening at 18.00 hrs in this lodge they hang a piece of goat meat onto a branch next to the water hole to attract the leopard - more often than not they appear as now its a family that is used to it.

Day three. You will have the early morning game drive, before heading back for the main breakfast. You will then check out and do a game drive at the Mzima Springs area where one sees hundreds of Hippos and some crocodiles amongst many other animals. After stopping at the Springs you will again have a short game drive before exiting the park and drive to Voi for a lunch stop over at Lion Hill lodge, a lodge built on top of a hill overlooking Tsavo East 180 degrees, beautifully scenery you will see as you have your lunch. After lunch you will start driving to Mombasa anticipating to be back at your hotel around 17.30 hrs.

:mental:

As much to organise as a Disney trip

Oh and you'd be surprised how cheap that was - honestly!

Mari
18-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Im getting goosebumps just reading this!

Wow!!!!

Its going to be the trip of a lifetime :)

foreverducky
18-02-2010, 08:41 PM
You truly only need the camera! How exciting and I can hardly wait to see the shots you take.

Could you imagine taking your telescope and looking at the sky from wide open spaces and likely very clear skies.

Isafari
18-02-2010, 08:48 PM
You are going on my dream holiday......I need lots of photos bringing back :yes:

Skywatcher
18-02-2010, 09:08 PM
Just can't believe that with a little research we are going on a 3 day safari for less than 1/2 what a travel company charges and we are having our own guide for 3 days and our own vehicle - the boys just wouldn't have coped with being in a truck with 10 people in it - this way if they get tired or want to head back early the chap will go. If we want to see a particular animal he will try and find it for us.

S'all about the big cats for me - they have so many there

All in Di it is a LOT cheaper than our last Florida trip - ok we are only going on a 3 day safari but the hotel in Mombassa is all inclusive.

Yes I would love to take the scope but I'm pretty sure thats not going to happen :lol:

The second lodge has its own watering hole as well and they have huge heards of elephant visiting .

Just putting an order in for a larger SD card :D

josh.p.
18-02-2010, 09:13 PM
Ohhhhhhh you're killing me with jealousy!! This is the trip of a LIFE TIME :yes: Enjoy every minute!

Mari
18-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I think a private safari is DEFINETLY the way to go.. kids or no kids... hahaha, but it has extra advantages with kids :)

Slowhand
18-02-2010, 09:35 PM
If we want to see a particular animal he will try and find it for us.

Many of the drivers in the reserves are in radio contact with one another so if your driver is "sans animals" he will surely be directed to where they are by the others Chris.
It sometimes seems a bit surreal though. We once watched a cheetah shortly after a kill and he/she was surrounded by about 10 vehicles who suddenly descended around her almost immediately!
The cheetah never batted an eyelid though and carried on eating just like there was no-one there!

Dawn
19-02-2010, 07:19 AM
HUNDREDS OF HIPPOS????!!!!!!

:mental: :mental: :mental:

Skywatcher
19-02-2010, 07:54 AM
Apparenly you can see flamingo and ostritch as well :mental: , well over 500 species of bird

I'm going to need more batteries for my camera as well :mental:

Jackyndunge
19-02-2010, 08:28 AM
Hello,

I would like to second Slowhand has just said. Most safari driver here in Kenya are in Radio contacts and this makes them to easily locate wild animals as soon as one driver spots one.

for any assistance regarding your safari in Kenya please feel free to contact me I will be glad to help.

Wish you all the best in your trip to Kenya! God bless you.

Best regards,
Jackline

Mari
19-02-2010, 05:46 PM
Ok.. so I might be going totally against the flow here, but I would suggest taking a FEW pics.. and then just letting go and ENJOYING it....

its too hard to enjoy something 100% if you are focusing on tkaing 9238710 pictures....

Skywatcher
19-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I'll do both :D

scarey
21-02-2010, 09:10 PM
So you have the camera.
Now shop for 4 pairs of binoculars!

Sounds great
scarey

uscwest
21-02-2010, 10:43 PM
Chris this sounds just fabulous. I would dearly love to do this.

keith
21-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Chris this sounds just fabulous. I would dearly love to do this.

totally agree, me too :yes:

catrancher
21-02-2010, 11:26 PM
Here's a little something to help get you in the mood Chris. :yes:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WtzI-OGEDNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WtzI-OGEDNs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Have a wonderful time!

Tom (:macwave:... hope you enjoy!)

Skywatcher
22-02-2010, 07:59 AM
So you have the camera.
Now shop for 4 pairs of binoculars!

Sounds great
scarey

:D

they are on

'The List' :D

only I don't need binoculars as I have the big lens to look at things through :D

Dawn
22-02-2010, 08:04 AM
HARAMBE!

Skywatcher
22-02-2010, 08:06 AM
Thanks for that :D

Dawn
22-02-2010, 08:07 AM
Will the trousers be making the trip? :D

Skywatcher
22-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I have a feeling they are coming to the end of their usable life :sigh:

I really must learn what the word means before we go , or the locals will be wondering why I say it everytime my wife bends over :D

EDIT: It means 'coming together' :laugh:

colden
24-02-2010, 03:36 PM
You are going to love Kenya! I live in South Africa, and love visiting the bush. Get a zoom lens, you will need it :yes:
Early Morning and early evening drives are the best, you will see loads of animals.

Staying in the bush and being around those beautiful animals, is one of the best feelings in the world!!

Skywatcher
27-02-2010, 08:38 PM

My main man Shadrack just e-mailed me the accommodation vouchers for the safari part and he has requested for us the room that overlooks the leopard bait and we didn't even ask him to - apparently the British lady who I have been emailing said what a huge fan of the big cats we were so he's doing his best

Leopards outside my bedroom window!!!!!!!!!

Tink
27-02-2010, 11:20 PM
OH WOW!!!!! This is going to be some kinda trip we're going on, huh Doc. :yes: What? You didn't know Matthew had invited me? He said I could come along as long as I brought the Twinkies. :D :D I've a car load ready. :tralala:

josh.p.
04-03-2010, 06:52 PM
Leopard.... :macwave:

Dorothy
04-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Apparenly you can see flamingo and ostritch as well :mental: , well over 500 species of bird

I'm going to need more batteries for my camera as well :mental:

FLAMINGOS, I wanna see them in the wild :yes: Can you take me with, please can you :wiggle:

Skywatcher
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
No problems you can share with Issy :D

Skywatcher
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
.... but you must all wear the trousers :evil:

Isafari
04-03-2010, 09:06 PM
No problems you can share with Issy :D

I'm going with you?!!! :eek3::mental: Love you doc :theman:

.... but you must all wear the trousers :evil:

Hey, I'll wear banana skins/a sack/gorilla outfit.....even the trousers.....just as long as I'm out there in the wilds of Africa :yes:

Skywatcher
04-03-2010, 10:10 PM

MystikPiglit
05-03-2010, 01:47 PM
Leopards outside my bedroom window!!!!!!!!!

Wow! How amazing it's going to be. :bugeye:

Skywatcher
05-03-2010, 01:49 PM

I know :D

I know there has been some flooding today BTW but that is in the North during their rainy season so NO I'm not worried :D

I have already found a way to stake some pics of the stars while I am out there as well :D

MystikPiglit
05-03-2010, 02:11 PM
I know there has been some flooding today BTW but that is in the North during their rainy season so NO I'm not worried :D

I heard that on the news this morning and googled it to make sure it wasn't where you are going. It isn't. :thumbsup:

Skywatcher
05-03-2010, 02:39 PM
You are sooo sweet :D

I am not going to want to come back I just know it :D

MystikPiglit
05-03-2010, 02:57 PM
I am not going to want to come back I just know it :D

:lol: Well, I'm sure there's always work for doctors anywhere in the world. :D

Or you could set up your own lodge and run safaris. :yes: :wiggle:

Skywatcher
05-03-2010, 02:59 PM
I just hope it lives up to this image I have i my mind; I never thought I would ver be so excited about a nonDisney trip - we ahve been to europe and they have been lovely but this is just :mental:

keith
05-03-2010, 03:14 PM
Im beyond jealous I really am!

Have you already thought about how you're going to back up your images whilst over there? if you've already mentioned it, apologies, it only just struck me before.

Skywatcher
05-03-2010, 03:21 PM
I am just buying a whole heap of cards at the moment - no plans to back them up - unless of course I buy the 65GB iPad and stick them on that

I have a 4GB card an older but semingly wrkable 8GB and just forked out for a 32 GB card (6) that I will use for a bit of filming - still can't quite get my head around a 32 GB sd card when they are full I wil 'lock them' and stick them in their case in teh bag - don't really wnat to buy a netbook and I can't believe they will have the facility to back up to a dvd so not sure what to do

keith
05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
Argh I hate to say it but, any chance I can talk you into SOME form of backup storage?

There's ipad/iphone for sure, but there are also tiny travel photo backup devices as well with a great deal more capacity.

A few reasons. Although it seems almost impossible that you'd use all your cards up, you cant risk doing it and having to miss out on shots.

Numerous times I've heard/read about people going on a wonderous trip like this, they put all the cards in their carry on and then get home and a card is missing or corrupt. They sometimes get some photos back from the corrupt card but of course the missing one just never turns up.

Not quite the same but a good 15yrs ago I was travelling round the states on business and getting wonderful shots. Film of course. I always used to get the film developed in the states and carry the negatives with me in my hand luggage and a set of photographs each in hand luggage and hold luggage.

Last time I was doing new york followed by washington. I was getting the best shots ever! Around Christmas time, around the whitehouse. Well anyway, amazing shots. Thing is, didnt have time to develop, so just stuck the rolls of film in my carry on which I guard with my life.

I got to washington airport and the staggeringly nauseatingly annoying bovine behind the BA desk took my carry on when I was filling in some paperwork and sent it off to the hold. Assurances were given but I spend the whole flight anticipating the worst.

Got to Manchester, empty carry on, papers and all gone plus of course all the rolls of film.

Digital is a little easier. I back all my stuff up to laptop now or a travel HD if I dont have my laptop. Soon as I get to somewhere with Internet access, I upload them as well.

Skywatcher
05-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Hmm, really not keen on taking the laptop as I will be leaving our room at the hotel unguarded for 3 days and you ahve to be 'careful there' - any suggestions - I have portable hard drives but I figure they would only work with a laptop of some description

ukwdwnut
05-03-2010, 03:57 PM
if your just using sd cards chris id definitely say lots of smaller size cards, imagine how many photos you would get on your 32gb card, get home and its corrupt, it happened on my fuji card once, was nt a big card luckily and lost all the photos. atleast if you lost some on smaller cards it wouldnt be such a tragedy as all lost on a 32gb

keith
05-03-2010, 04:01 PM
Hmm, really not keen on taking the laptop as I will be leaving our room at the hotel unguarded for 3 days and you ahve to be 'careful there' - any suggestions - I have portable hard drives but I figure they would only work with a laptop of some description

Ah but these are SPECIAL hard drives meant for backing up cards :) you just put your card in them, and it auto copies off all your photos.

You can get various price ones, as ever

keith
05-03-2010, 04:09 PM
Not recommending it or anything just the first one I found

Vosonic VP5500 80GB Portable Media Player 5400 (VT-VP5500/80) - Warehouse Express (http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-vosonic-vp5500-80gb-portable-media-player-5400/p1024545)

Slowhand
05-03-2010, 04:18 PM
I bought something similar years ago.
It also doubles up as a sort of ipod as I have downloaded loads of music onto it.
Mine can also pick up the local radio stations.

Skywatcher
05-03-2010, 04:59 PM
hmm if only I could upload them to my iPod I have a huuuge ipod that has loooads of free space on it

keith
05-03-2010, 05:03 PM
hmm if only I could upload them to my iPod I have a huuuge ipod that has loooads of free space on it

There ARE a couple of camera-ipod converters. Really cheap but only work on certain ipods and with certain cards :/

catrancher
05-03-2010, 05:53 PM
There ARE a couple of camera-ipod converters. Really cheap but only work on certain ipods and with certain cards :/

I had one of those at one time. One I had was from Belkin I think. Only worked with the iPod I had at that time but it worked really well. I'd just plug it into my camera via the dock connector, pressed a button, and it saved all the photos on my camera to the iPods hard drive.

Wish they still had them. They were incredibly handy for trips.

Tom (:macwave:... time marches on!)