PDA

View Full Version : Neat camera bag please (+tripod suggestions)

Skywatcher
23-02-2010, 09:42 AM
OK I need a camera bag pretty soon as my good lady is getting fed up with camera boxes lying everywhere :D

I need a bag that will take the camera body. 2 short lenses and the large l telephoto lens, and if possible the charger etc ( poss lens cleaning puffer)

Idreally this would be a small(ish) canvass affair that I could wear rucksack like - not sure what people would suggest - my old one I used to keep in an aluminium briefcase from Maplin - that wont really do

Also I have a 19 tripod but it looks too flimsy for the camera with the telephoto attatched - I can't really aford '00s but would welcome some suggestions

Tink
23-02-2010, 01:06 PM
Well, I'm sure this isn't in the league that you need, but I have a Gorilla tripod and it's great. They come in different sizes and might just be what the doctor ordered for the Kenya trip as they can attach to anything.

With regard to the bag? Ooooooh!!!!!! BAG TALK! :D

Have you looked at Mandarina Duck? :D :D :lol: OK, I'll leave off the nonsense and hopefully you'll get some decent suggestions for both bag and tripod.

keith
23-02-2010, 01:24 PM
Bags, well there are so many different kinds that all I can do I think is point you to the brand I've used forever.... Lowepro | Home (http://www.lowepro.com/) really huge fan of them. Never let me down

Likewise tripods as you say go from useless few quid ones to 00s.

I do think it's worth paying a bit more for the carbon fibre ones for the light but still rugged feel of them but Manfrotto are my preferred make there Manfrotto.com - homepage (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto)

ukwdwnut
23-02-2010, 01:39 PM
ive got this tripod, its really sturdy and easily handles the weight of my 400D and 70-300 macro lense also use it for the camcorder too :)

Skywatcher
23-02-2010, 01:52 PM
I think thats the one i have mick - butthe l lens is huge and very heavy - not sure it will cope...off to look a t the links

ukwdwnut
23-02-2010, 01:56 PM
I think thats the one i have mick - butthe l lens is huge and very heavy - not sure it will cope...off to look a t the links

ok np mate. what lens have you got again?

Skywatcher
23-02-2010, 02:17 PM
canon ef l 100-400 telephoto, fully extended it must be 70-80 cm and it weight more than a housebrick

keith
23-02-2010, 02:24 PM
canon ef l 100-400 telephoto, fully extended it must be 70-80 cm and it weight more than a housebrick

remember though that it'll be the midpoint of the lens (ish) where the tripod collar fits onto that will be attached to the tripid rather than the camera.

So in a way, the weight of the lens helps keep it a bit more stable

kinda like this Proper Long Lens Technique (http://www.moosepeterson.com/techtips/longlens.html)

ukwdwnut
23-02-2010, 02:50 PM
mine fits on the camera with the 70-300 and thats still ok chris, that tripod is really sturdy im pretty sure the lens is 7"" retacted and atleast 10" fully extended and still ok :)

Skywatcher
23-02-2010, 03:03 PM
yeah Mick I have the 70-300 lens and TBPH the L lens is prbabky 3 times heavier than that and twice as long it really is huuuge - I get funny looks when I am out taking pics with it

simonwebb74
23-02-2010, 03:27 PM
We've got two camera bags.

This one Lowepro - Fastpack 200 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-200,2085.htm) is great if you are going away (Used in in DisneyWorld last year) as you can also carry other bits and pieces in the top.

This one Lowepro - Nova 180 AW (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-180%20AW,2105.htm) is the everyday bag.

They are both capable of holding camera + 3 lenses + external flash + leads and both have plenty of extra pockets for filters, memory cards etc.

josh.p.
23-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Have a look on Amazon for camera bags- there are millions of different brands and types :yes: I recommend Lowerpro and Amazon has a bigger selection of their bags than any shop I've ever been in :yes:

Have you considered a monopod?:unsure: I've not used one myself but I've seen them used and they seem much more lightweight and better for taking quick snaps than any tripod.

Mari
23-02-2010, 04:52 PM
Bags, well there are so many different kinds that all I can do I think is point you to the brand I've used forever.... Lowepro | Home (http://www.lowepro.com/) really huge fan of them. Never let me down

Likewise tripods as you say go from useless few quid ones to 00s.

I do think it's worth paying a bit more for the carbon fibre ones for the light but still rugged feel of them but Manfrotto are my preferred make there Manfrotto.com - homepage (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto)

we got a lowepro for our disney trip and it worked great... enough room, well protected, weatherproofed...

josh.p.
23-02-2010, 04:56 PM
How about this bad-boy?
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/101/287873972_5d3b6a624c.jpg

Skywatcher
23-02-2010, 07:14 PM
:lol: I think my main problem is I want to play with them to see if they work ok. The onl disadvantage of web shopping.

I will need a tripod as I am going to have a pop at taking pics of some southern stars ;)

Britchick
23-02-2010, 07:42 PM
Lowepro 200AW is the size you need for what you've got at the moment as i have the same amount and it all fits in. Don't be tempted to go smaller. I think Jessops may have them

Skywatcher
23-02-2010, 08:20 PM
44 on Amazon Julie - they quote the original price as being about 98 - looks good - may well go for it - the smaller bags just don;t look like they could hold the l lens

Britchick
23-02-2010, 08:40 PM
that's a good price. I paid $80 last summer and that was cheaper than over here. There are lots of little pockets to store memory cards etc in. You'll be able to fit charger and PC cable in the top pocket- i can also fit my purse in here and all sorts of girl stuff so you should have ample room! very comfortable to walk about with - never felt i have been carrying a heavy load.

Skywatcher
23-02-2010, 09:07 PM
OK , bought :D

Britchick
23-02-2010, 09:15 PM
OK , bought :D

exellent!

foreverducky
24-02-2010, 04:18 PM
I'm a little late, but I love these bags:
The Official Tamrac Homepage - The leading manufacturer and distributor of camera, photography and camcorder bags (http://tamrac.com/frame_velocity.htm)

They have different sizes and the sling part is the best.

Skywatcher
25-02-2010, 06:22 PM
Hmm the bag isn't as big as I'd hoped the l lens is big and uses over half the space inside the bag - had to remove all but 2 of the dividers and it doesn't look that neat inside but at least it all fits - no room for much else though

Britchick
25-02-2010, 06:25 PM
uh oh, when i looked at the dimensions of your new lens it didn't look that much bigger than mine. Could you return it and get a bigger one?

Skywatcher
25-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I think it will be ok but seriously it uses half the interior space, plus I need room for the lens hood - if I leave it in the original lensbag and section off half the space there is 'just' enough rom for the camera body and the 2 other lenses. the cables go in the top , batteries in the front pocket and memory cards in the neat card holder - as a bag is is amazing - perhaps the measurements you were looking at didn't include the ring for attatching to the tripod, certainly it is too long to stand up and needs to lie down

Britchick
25-02-2010, 06:33 PM
will the lens hood screw back on itself?

Skywatcher
25-02-2010, 06:58 PM
yep thats how I store it but at the moment it is lying along the whole length of the left side of the bag if you look at it from the back - its actually neater if I leave it in the canon lens bag it came in as wel

josh.p.
25-02-2010, 08:03 PM
and who said bigger is better! :rotfl:

Britchick
25-02-2010, 08:05 PM
and who said bigger is better! :rotfl:

:whistle:

Skywatcher
25-02-2010, 08:10 PM
:D

Its all working fine - have to say its all flippin heavy :lol: will have to go the the gym before we go on Safari at this rate.

The nifty 50mm lens is great - having lots of fun with it

Britchick
25-02-2010, 08:13 PM
you might find a small bean bag useful to rest the lens on when sat in the landrover or whatever

Skywatcher
25-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Already thought of that - the boy has a sort of smushy pillow bag that works well

:mental:

Whats the betting this doesn't turn out as planned now :lol:

josh.p.
25-02-2010, 09:36 PM
With the amount of prep you've done, I'm betting it turns out PERFECTLY.

Now... remember... which animals must you take 1000 photos of to show me? I'll give you a hint; I have 5 of them asleep in a stella fridge at the moment. :rotfl:

Skywatcher
27-02-2010, 10:32 AM
I shall do my best Josh, and the great thing about Torts is I won't need too high a speed on the shutter.

Ach the blower came yesterday and here is no room for it in the bag

:sigh: should have bought a bigger bag - too late to send it back now.

Britchick
27-02-2010, 10:44 AM
blower? ebay it Chris, i bet you'll get your money back.

Skywatcher
27-02-2010, 10:51 AM
puffy thing to get dust off the lens

Don't get me wrong I love the bag to bits , the problem is the 100-400mm lens which is huge and takes up over 1/2 the internal sapce in the bag - what I have had to do is make 3 small compartments along the back wall for my 2 other lenses and the camera body separately the whole of the front is dedicated to the zoom , which I have kept in its bag as surprisingly that seems the best way to keep it with the hood - it didn't sit right out of the bag - cards go it the uber cool card older - top bit has charger and wires and the front pocket has lens pen and batteries - it really is neat but no place to put anything else even a macro lens

......... which I already yearn for :lol:

am I ever happy

Britchick
27-02-2010, 10:55 AM
or you could always get Lisa to carry the 'other' bag :unsure: lol

josh.p.
27-02-2010, 01:00 PM
I shall do my best Josh, and the great thing about Torts is I won't need too high a speed on the shutter.

:rotfl: I reckon you'd get your money back if you eBay'd it :yes:

catrancher
03-03-2010, 04:05 PM
Oh Skywatcher!

Saw this article this morning of thought of you and this thread.

How to choose the right tripod (http://www.macworld.com/article/146812/2010/03/tripod_buying_tips.html?lsrc=rss_main)

Tom (:macwave:... steady on there!)

Skywatcher
03-03-2010, 04:22 PM
Cheers Mate

this place is great at spending my money :laugh:

catrancher
03-03-2010, 04:27 PM

And I believe that we've done quite well at that! :taunt:

If you don't believe me, just ask Lisa! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... just trying to help!)

Skywatcher
03-03-2010, 05:00 PM
:macwave:

If I add up the Florida trips
The :macwave: expenses
The camera expenses

Its all going to come to quite a lot I should imagine :D

Britchick
03-03-2010, 07:58 PM

i, however, am able to resist..............................:hammer::apple : :unsure:

Skywatcher
03-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Not for long :macwave:

When I first converted I used parallels a lot and still booted in XP

I have only used XP twice in the last 6 months and that was to run capture software for my astro camera that the chap wont do a mac version for (despite me writing to him weekly :evil: ) - I am now a 100% mac fan - to the point I actually want to punch my useless windows machine at work.

Hmm

Macro lens suggestions?

Britchick
03-03-2010, 08:24 PM
I hate IE 8, keeps crashing. Made safari default on new computer when Jon was away- not happy and changed it back!! LOL

Macro lens suggestions?

cheap, medium or mortgage?

Skywatcher
03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
:mental:

Kenya :D
Astrophotography DSLR CCD Webcam AstroTrac TT320X - how it works (http://www.astrotrac.com/Default.aspx?p=how-it-works)

keith
03-03-2010, 10:45 PM
Macro lens suggestions?

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro

Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

I have the former which has always been sensational however I now have the latter which is twice the price but better (of course :/ ) so I may be ebaying the first one.

Either is stunning though. I PERSONALLY like 100mm for macro as it means you dont need to be right on top of the subject like you do with shorter ones

josh.p.
03-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I think if we added up this forum's :macwave: costs and the cameras alone for the last 12 months, we could buy enough stocks in apple for us all to live off :rotfl: