PDA

View Full Version : Did Anyone Watch

ukwdwnut
08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
the 1st part of wonders of the solar system?

absolutely facinating, cant wait for the next part :)

keith
08-03-2010, 02:32 PM
the 1st part of wonders of the solar system?

absolutely facinating, cant wait for the next part :)

yeah :) looking forward to the rest!

I really like that guy as a presenter of science. There's something about the unassuming, every day way in which he describes things which really makes it very watchable.

arkvilla
08-03-2010, 02:33 PM
I didn't see it but I heard Chris Evans talking about it this morning on his radio show and he said it was the best 1 hour programme he has seen in his whole life..

I'll look out for it next week ( give me a nudge nearer the time to remind me please Mick)

Sandra

ukwdwnut
08-03-2010, 02:48 PM
some that the young guy explained the vastness of space

Earth is 93m miles from the sun = 1 astronomical unit = 1cm
Neptune = 30 AUís = 30cm
Pluto = 50 AUís = 50cm
Oort Cloud = 50000 = 0.5Km
Which is the full extent of our suns empire. The nearest neighbour which is Proxima Centauri which takes the suns light 4yrs to reach and is a red dwarf star among 200 billion other that make up the milky way

absolutely uncomprehensible how big the universe actually is. i have no more words how in awe i am trying to understand it all

ukwdwnut
08-03-2010, 02:54 PM
yeah :) looking forward to the rest!

I really like that guy as a presenter of science. There's something about the unassuming, every day way in which he describes things which really makes it very watchable.

i cant believe someone so young has so must astronomical knowledge

I didn't see it but I heard Chris Evans talking about it this morning on his radio show and he said it was the best 1 hour programme he has seen in his whole life..

I'll look out for it next week ( give me a nudge nearer the time to remind me please Mick)

Sandra

have you not got sky+ sandra

i can always copy it to a dvd for you if you want to watch it

arkvilla
08-03-2010, 03:47 PM
i cant believe someone so young has so must astronomical knowledge

have you not got sky+ sandra

i can always copy it to a dvd for you if you want to watch it

Actually - now you mention it we do have Sky+ ( we recently changed from BT Vision) but I watch so little tv I can't switch our tv on - there's too many remote controls and as I watch it so little I have never bothered to learn .

I'll get one of the boys to do it for me :thumbsup:.

Sandra

Dawn
08-03-2010, 05:05 PM
I fell asleep. :sad:

Is it on iplayer?

ukwdwnut
08-03-2010, 05:12 PM
yep sure is dawn

BBC iPlayer - Wonders of the Solar System: Empire of the Sun (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rf172/Wonders_of_the_Solar_System_Empire_of_the_Sun/)

Dawn
08-03-2010, 05:13 PM
thanks Mick, will catch it later while adrian is at the gym.

ukwdwnut
08-03-2010, 05:14 PM
thanks Mick, will catch it later while adrian is at the gym.

your very welcome dawn :)

Skywatcher
08-03-2010, 05:21 PM
See, told you this stuff was cool ;)

ukwdwnut
08-03-2010, 05:23 PM
See, told you this stuff was cool ;)

ive known its cool since i was 11 years old mate :)

Britchick
08-03-2010, 07:16 PM

totally, he is young, trendy and hopefully will instill some passion for what is a difficult subject to recruit to. I hated physics at school but had it been presented like that i may have done it as an O'level! i now know what a prism does to light!

chief
08-03-2010, 07:41 PM
yep sure is dawn

BBC iPlayer - Wonders of the Solar System: Empire of the Sun (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00rf172/Wonders_of_the_Solar_System_Empire_of_the_Sun/)

i,m so pleased that i have just looked at this thread, my kids wanted to watch it but it was on a little too late [they are only 11 & 8] i have just tried to watch it on catch up but couldn't find it. i will try this tomorrow now. thankyou:thumbsup:

Skywatcher
08-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Just watched it with the boy and it has reignited my passion for this a 100 times over - epic stuff - got to get the soalr telescope out as the sun is starting to wake up after a long solar slumber

ukwdwnut
09-03-2010, 12:49 AM
im just in awe of it all up there, have been since i was a young kid watching the apollo moonshots

Dawn
09-03-2010, 07:49 AM
Watched it on catch up last night.

:mental:

Skywatcher
09-03-2010, 08:03 AM
It had a strange effect on me as I sat cuddled up on the sofa with Thomas, got quite emotional.

He made me swear to take him to atotal eclipse one day

arkvilla
09-03-2010, 10:21 AM
It had a strange effect on me as I sat cuddled up on the sofa with Thomas, got quite emotional.

He made me swear to take him to atotal eclipse one day

I think it just makes you realise how small and insignificant we all are in the huge scheme of things, and just how fantastic life actually is - it's just mind blowing :yes:

Sandra

Skywatcher
09-03-2010, 10:54 AM
The bit I loved (well I loved it all obviously) was when he showed the Oort cloud and the effects of the sun on all that exists in our solar system it then cut to that one small pic he took of the milky way- a shot that probably contained 100 billion stars and I turned to my son and said - 'thats all going on in each and every one of them'

I just LOVE what that does to my brain :mental:

Slowhand
09-03-2010, 12:18 PM
Thanks for that Iplayer link Mike. :thumbsup:
I missed the first episode despite having made a mental note not to do so!

Britchick
09-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Apparently the professor used to work with chris evans on radio, you can also follow him on Twitter

ukwdwnut
09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
Thanks for that Iplayer link Mike. :thumbsup:
I missed the first episode despite having made a mental note not to do so!

your welcome terry....sky + and series link it terry, you wont miss anything then :D

Britchick
09-03-2010, 07:25 PM
it's on BBC 2 now if anyone wants to see it

Britchick
14-03-2010, 10:06 PM
ok two things, how do they get data/photos back from the rockets?

and I've been to that crater!! :wiggle:

Dawn
15-03-2010, 07:55 AM
I sat there last night and did this -> :thud:

kazzaqld
15-03-2010, 11:34 PM
Iplayer link only available to those in the UK :(

:thumbsdown:

Oh well I'm sure the ABC will have it evenchually! :sorry:

ukwdwnut
16-03-2010, 12:55 AM
another awesome episode :D

Skywatcher
16-03-2010, 07:54 AM
Awesome had it recorded and watched it on the sofa last night with the boy :D

Saturn is climbing high this month later on so :fingers: for some clear nights as I know a lot more about it now

I took a photo of enceladus once - can't find it now :unsure:

ukwdwnut
22-03-2010, 10:32 AM
what another great episode....totally the best programme on the box, along with lost of course :)