PDA

View Full Version : STRESSED OUT!

josh.p.
09-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Seriously having a bit of a major stress regarding uni at the minute!!

Basically I have 4 choices (I declined one as I visited the open day and seriously hated it)

De Montford (Leicester)
Goldsmiths (London)
Liverpool John Moores
Leeds Trinity

Out of those, the only one I actually *want* to go to is Goldsmiths. However, the entry grades are really high (ABB), the cost of living in London would be HUGE. I'm not entitled to any grants for maintenance and I get the basic rate, which is 82% of the maintenance loan. (The last 18% is means tested on a sliding scale, and I'm not entitled to get it.)

It is done means-tested so depending on how much/little your household income is, depends on how much/little you get to go to university. My parents income means that I don't get even the smallest bit of help from the government, however, they can obviously not afford to pay for my rent, food etc whilst I'm uni.

So, basically, to cut a long-story short, I doubt I can afford to go to Goldsmiths even if I did get the entrance grades. :sorry: There is always the possibility of a part-time job, however it's the most work-intensive of all the courses I've chosen, and even if I worked around 20 hours a week at minimum wage, I doubt I'd be able to afford it.

I'm visiting LJMU tomorrow so hopefully I like it enough to put it as my '2nd/insurance choice'. If I don't then I'm at a loss for what I'm going to do!! I don't like any of the other universities I've chosen and I'm in such a rut.

I researched them as much as I could without visiting before putting them down as my choices and really thought they would suit me- when I visited they really didn't :sigh:

Sorry for the rant. Needed to vent :sigh:

Britchick
09-03-2010, 09:54 PM
oh Josh :hug2: don't know what to say mate. I'm sure wherever you go will give you the greatest start to your career.

You know we're always here for you to rant to :hug2:

Mags
09-03-2010, 09:55 PM
I feel for you Josh. My son is in a pickle at the moment. He is the youngest of four and to cut a long story short has struggled all his life at school. He works hard and doesnt expect to get very high grades. He has at long last got offers from Leicester, Birmingham and Oxford Brookes but he wont get the grades.
However his friend with 7A*s and 6As has only one offer and 5 rejections - unbelievable!! If it wasnt hard enough getting offers this year then there is the worry as you say of affording university. My other three all went to northern unis (Leeds, Nottingham and Sheffield) so the cost of living wasnt so bad. They did struggle financially and I tried hard to support them but they wouldnt have missed the experience for the world. I only hope that your parents can make that contribution and get you to where you want to go. I hope too that you get the grades. My friend's dd has just finished at UC London and lived in halls first year. She found that when she rented accommodation in her last 2 years that she wasnt paying any more than she would have where her brother was (Leeds) - there were 6 of them. I hope that you can somehow live your dream. Good luck with your grades and with your choices.

Margaret

josh.p.
09-03-2010, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys :hug2: The rent bit is what worried me. In the 1st year I'll be in halls and the rent is cheaper than some places up north! However, it's just the general cost of transport etc in my 2nd year that worries me. :sigh:

Britchick
09-03-2010, 09:59 PM
what course are you doing Josh?

josh.p.
09-03-2010, 10:02 PM
Media and Communications :)

ukwdwnut
10-03-2010, 12:46 AM
i take it its the one in lewisham josh?....have you got any figures at all for how much the rent will cost in the second year josh. im not sure but it MAY be cheaper than other parts of london.

whatever you decide where you go i wish you good luck.

we had all this last year with mikey.

PsychoAlice
10-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Nothing to add but maybe something to make you feel better...Stressed is just Desserts spelled backwards...have a piece of cake...

ukwdwnut
10-03-2010, 01:18 AM
Nothing to add but maybe something to make you feel better...Stressed is just Desserts spelled backwards...have a piece of cake...

trust you to see that sarah :wink: :lol:

Dawn
10-03-2010, 08:09 AM
OK the first thing I would do is contact the Admissions office at Goldsmiths and tell them that they are your first choice but you are very concerned about the financial aspect of studying there. They can go through all the options with you and help you make an informed decision.

If you can get through the first year then a summer job will help with costs of second year, etc, etc.

Oh and wherever you end up going, expect to leave uni with large debts. It's the way it is for all students. :shrug:

Skywatcher
10-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I'd try and get away from home to go to uni, I was so glad we went to Nottingham - Leicester is a lovely place and I think it has a good campus as well which the London ones don't - I applied for a few in London but even though I got offers I just couldn't afford the rent and the cost of living plus I would have missed out on all the other aspects of Uni life that comes with a campus.

let us know what you are thinking Josh, its an important decision to be sure - when you see the place you'll just know

Claire
10-03-2010, 09:03 AM
:hug1: Go to Bournemouth Josh and you can be my lodger!

Skywatcher
10-03-2010, 09:12 AM
Until she leaves the country anyway :D

Claire
10-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Until she leaves the country anyway :D

Oh yeah. I forgot about that!

josh.p.
10-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Goldsmiths has a campus :yes: The accomodation is right on-site and the SU bar is also :yes: LJMU doesn't have a campus, it's spread all over the city :yes:

daveann
10-03-2010, 09:52 AM
:hug1: Go to Bournemouth Josh and you can be my lodger!

then you can come to me when she does a flit :)

Skywatcher
10-03-2010, 10:52 AM
Iwould definitely recommend campus universities :yes: lets you mix more freely with all sorts of students and feels much more like a community :yes: plus it also seems 'safer' as well

ukwdwnut
10-03-2010, 10:59 AM
OK the first thing I would do is contact the Admissions office at Goldsmiths and tell them that they are your first choice but you are very concerned about the financial aspect of studying there. They can go through all the options with you and help you make an informed decision.

If you can get through the first year then a summer job will help with costs of second year, etc, etc.

Oh and wherever you end up going, expect to leave uni with large debts. It's the way it is for all students. :shrug:

totally agree with that

not all dawn, depends on the household income :)

Skywatcher
10-03-2010, 11:41 AM
What annoys me is why household income should come into it at all - when you are 19 why should it matter what your parents earn ? you are an independant adult at that stage and should be seen as such. The grant I got no where near covered even my rent as we did really long terms but its always beena gripe with me - I didn't want any help from my parents as it was my choice - not tthat tey could afford it anyway

ukwdwnut
10-03-2010, 12:16 PM
well these days chris, it depends on the household income to how much grant the student gets.

why, who knows but thats the system now

its like child allowance, yes its the system, but why should high earners get it, they dont need it

Tink
10-03-2010, 12:38 PM
Chiming in a bit late, and don't know a thing about UK universities, but will say that having a campus is an experience that should be had if at all possible. There really is an immersion factor that isn't present when there is no campus, where the university is spread out without a center. Also, going away from home to school I think is very important. Very.

As for debt, that's a tough one. I hate that students incur such steep debt often, but it seems to be the only way unless you can get grants, scholarships and the like. Not sure how that works in the UK.

Having paid a small fortune for a Big East school (and yes, I received one heck of an education) I'm not sure I'd buy into the 'big name' philosphy again (within reason). Many students here do two years at a community college (VERY cost effective) and then transfer to a well known private school for the final two years of a four year degree. They end up with the same piece of paper and a whole lot less debt.

Many ways of looking at it. I would say, go with the place that has the topics you wish to study, and the best representation of those topics that you can possibly hope to pay for. If that happens to be at a well known uni, great!

Do let us know what you decide though ok?

ukwdwnut
10-03-2010, 12:47 PM
josh another thing

if you do incur debt, which sounds like you will. you will not be asked to pay it back until you are working, and then you have to be earning 15k and the payments and interest is quite small so it doesnt take all your earnings to pay it back, which to me is a great idea to encourage bright students into uni.

where mikey is, he is in a big room on his own on campus huge bath/shower room. he does get lonely as his mates are in a different block, but thats not a bad thing it give him the chance to get his work done. h=sure he gets homesick who wouldnt, but its a great thing for him to do. next yeat he ooks for a house to share with his friends so he is looking forward to that if he passes all his exams this year that is

where ever you end up you will have a great time josh :D

Tinkfan
10-03-2010, 01:09 PM
:wave: i agree Josh, an on site stay is an experience well worth it! Research the odd ball grants that are at each Uni. You never know whats out there. ( check the program from graduations to see who recieved what) Also was your Mom or dad in the military? They don't always advertise whats available, but a VA office would be able to help you. :hug2:

josh.p.
10-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys. I really can't be trusted to go to uni- I turned up at the wrong time for the LJMU open day :oops: :rotfl: The letter *did* state two different times but I basically missed all the talks relevant to me so ended up coming home. Going to visit one of their open days instead :yes:

Goldsmiths really was amazing :yes: It's a top name for media and comms- in the top 10 internationally :yes: The area it's in is over-run by the uni, so a lot of the shops around there are budget stores. However, It's the 2nd year that is more worrying as I'd have to live in central London. The area goldsmiths is in has little to no student accomodation nearby. However, it's only a 5 minute tube journey to get to the uni from central london :yes:

Skywatcher
10-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Go for it

Its obvious what the right choice is for you - worry about the paying for it later

:carpediem:

Do it!

ukwdwnut
10-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Go for it

Its obvious what the right choice is for you - worry about the paying for it later

:carpediem:

Do it!

:yes:

Dawn
10-03-2010, 03:35 PM
Definitely go for a campus uni. :thumbsup:

Skywatcher
10-03-2010, 04:31 PM
Campus Diem :thumbsup:

josh.p.
10-03-2010, 04:36 PM
:rotfl:

Ok... just done some budgeting.... After paying for a years accomodation, I'd have 124 of my loan to live off until I found a job! :thud:

ukwdwnut
10-03-2010, 04:40 PM
:rotfl:

Ok... just done some budgeting.... After paying for a years accomodation, I'd have 124 of my loan to live off until I found a job! :thud:

how much do you want blimey :wink: :lol:

you know you don't pay it all in one go dont you josh? you could put it in a high interest account, well if you can find one, don't seem to be anything past 1% these days

Skywatcher
10-03-2010, 04:41 PM
You HAVE to think big picture - if you go there and do as well as we all know you will - you could easily get a job COINING it in - you have to make these decisions now for later - I should imagine that Goldsmiths is very well 'connected' for the areas you want to go into

josh.p.
10-03-2010, 04:48 PM
Pot noodle anyone? :unsure:

ukwdwnut
10-03-2010, 04:56 PM
and to add to chris' post your in the prime location to do some research at some media companies in london on days you havent got anything on :yes:

Dawn
10-03-2010, 05:03 PM
nononononononono not Pot Noodles.

Tesco value super noodles - 9p. :thumbsup:

Claire
10-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Pot noodle anyone? :unsure:

A whole one? Spendthrift!

Tinkfan
10-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Is sharing off site accomodations an option?What about a summer job and/or tutoring students that need extra help? When your off site you can always tutor at the elementary - high school age as well. Parents are often desperate to find help for their children! When i tutored ions ago at the dawn of the dinosaurs, grateful parents often coughed up a meal or two in grateful appreciation lol!!!

Britchick
10-03-2010, 09:26 PM
who said anything about eating? that's 124 of beer in the SU bar!! cheers Josh!

shame i was looking forward to driving you over an emergency pot noodle!! :tongue:

Jodie
11-03-2010, 08:56 PM
It sounds like your in love with Goldsmiths but trying to be sensible by following your head and not your heart. You'll never have this same opportunity again Josh, do what feels best and despite the lack of funds, the experience will last you a lifetime.

Would you rather eat Tesco baked beans in London or a Steak in Liverpool? And if it's only 5mins tube ride surely that's a doable walk!

:)

Jodie

Skywatcher
11-03-2010, 09:09 PM
I agree it has to be Goldsmiths - make it work for you, don;t ever spend your life wondering 'what if....'

You will go a long way Josh I just know it

Just remember me when you are meeting all my heroes at one of your fancy parties ;)

josh.p.
11-03-2010, 09:21 PM
The other thing with London is that I'm potentially missing out on 3 years of Niamh's life.

Tinkfan
11-03-2010, 10:49 PM
:wave: How far is London from where you live now Josh? This morning online there was an article on Wallet Pop on how college students could eat for $35.00 a week! I thought of you!!

ukwdwnut
12-03-2010, 12:10 AM
The other thing with London is that I'm potentially missing out on 3 years of Niamh's life.

sorry josh i dont mean this to sound horrible, its really not meant to.

you HAVE to do what is right and feels good for you, no one else. it sounds like goldsmiths is the place for you, your future is at stake here. you have the holidays to go back home and the odd weekend. mikey is really homesick at the moment but he realises that its his future and feels a bit better when we talk to him to reassure him.

Dawn
12-03-2010, 07:57 AM
It's your life Josh, not Niamh's. She's still there - phone, email, webcam, visits - she's still there and she's still your neice. Would she want Uncle Josh to turn down his dream uni because of her? I don't think so.

It's your future mate, you have to let your head make the decisions.

Skywatcher
12-03-2010, 08:12 AM

:laugh:

You are obviously not familiar with the usual term lengths at uni :D

Plus you'' go home everytime you need a good meal and some ironing doing :D

Tink
12-03-2010, 11:53 AM
Ah. Well Josh that's a hard one to be sure. Missing out on the daily life of a child is a sacrifice, no doubt about it.

However, you do need to have your own life. If for no reason other than to provide for Niamh in years to come. Perhaps you'll be able to send her to uni one day (and provide an allowance that has her eating more than pot noodles for the duration)!

She is a critical part of your life, but you do have to make provision for yourself too. :yes:

You surely want to be the handsome, successful uncle, not the uncle who hasn't two nickles (or whatever small coin :) ) to rub together, eh?

Pick the best school you can afford, devote yourself to your studies and the entire uni experience, and share it with Niamh as you can. :hug2:

arkvilla
12-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Hi Josh,

We visited De Montfort and it's Arun's 1st and 2nd choice - the business school is rated 7th in the UK

Arun wants Advertising as firsy choice but it's 280 points and he's not certain he will get them. His second choice is marketing Management wihich is 240 points.

We all really like the campus as it's all on 1 site and the accomodation is very close to the Uni and also it's very central for the city centre so he won't have to spend loads on buses, taxi's etc.

We also visited Northampton which was like a ghost town compared to De Montfort.

I'm sure Arun would be happy to chat to you.

We're in the same bvoat as he isn't entitled to any help at all financially and is going to do his student loan application this weekend ( even if I have to stand over him :yes:)

Sandra

Tink
12-03-2010, 12:39 PM
Josh, I just remembered one of our past conversations.

Is there no chance what so ever of your attending culinary school? Anywhere? Orlando?

Often there is more funding available for that sort of education (abroad)?

I know it's considerably further than London :eek: but I so see you as a world famous celebrity chef. :yes: Just think of the ground breaking work you could do with teaching the world to eat more responsibly... more vegetarian, less animal protien...

You only live once, Josh. Make it the best each minute. :yes:

josh.p.
12-03-2010, 01:41 PM
I doubt I'd be good enough to go to culinary school tbh :(

Skywatcher
12-03-2010, 01:44 PM
It is obvious from reading what you have put what yu want to do and where, yes it is scary; but ultimately it is the right thing - your head andyour heart are telling you ultimately the same thing

listen to them

and more importantly - us :D

uscwest
12-03-2010, 01:52 PM
Josh I know you will miss Niamh. However, of our 9 grandchildren and 1 great grand child, the only one we have been able to watch grow up is Nathanael. The others are all 700 miles away. Yes it is tough but you have to do what is right for your future.

Mags
12-03-2010, 02:45 PM
Josh, I realise it will probably be a long journey home to see Niamh and that you will miss her, but you are an age where you are stepping out into the world and becoming independent. You can go home at the weekend occasionally (there are often great travel deals) and what about Skype or your Mac Cam? You will miss her no doubt as you are such a part of her life but you can make that big brave decision. Once you have I hope you will be glad you have. You will be able to get that balance between your head and your heart sorted. Good luck. BTW I am going through the weirdest day ever with my son. He has just done resits and got a big fat U grade in his geography! I could have cried for him as he was only trying to drag the grade up from a B. If you did any resits and are getting the grades today, good luck!

Margaret

josh.p.
12-03-2010, 02:58 PM
Thanks for your help everyone :hug2: Mags, I didn't do any resits but I know a few people who have done them and are having their papers re-marked for free. Lots of people in my english class resat and did a lot worse (Many U's) and the English Department isn't happy!

Jodie
12-03-2010, 03:21 PM

In theory, immersing yourself fully into University life anywhere will limit your contact with Niamh. In order to have the full experience something else is going to have to give for a while. Potentially the fact that you are so far away will make your time back home more special and significant than if you were around the corner bobbing home a rushed hour every week.

Jodie

ukwdwnut
12-03-2010, 03:47 PM
In theory, immersing yourself fully into University life anywhere will limit your contact with Niamh. In order to have the full experience something else is going to have to give for a while. Potentially the fact that you are so far away will make your time back home more special and significant than if you were around the corner bobbing home a rushed hour every week.

Jodie

youve hit the nail on the head there jodie, no matter where you are josh your contact will be limited, you have to immerse yourself into you education, it wont get done on its own. IMHO i think its better your so far away so you dont keep popping back and forth. you further education in your chosen field and your future has to come first rather than be uncle to Niamh

josh.p.
13-03-2010, 02:46 PM
I replied to my offers. Goldsmiths = firm choice, LJMU= insurance choice.

I thought there is no point in over-thinking it. I'll just do it!

josh.p.
13-03-2010, 02:49 PM
Oh and if I don't go to Goldsmiths, I'm not going to JMU. I'm gonna either go wild and apply for culinary college, or stay in my sixth form for a 3rd year and re-sit my exams.

Tink
13-03-2010, 03:48 PM
Josh. Listen to me. Are you listening?

DO WHAT YOUR PASSION IS. I've known you for a few years and two passions come through (pre Uncle-hood).

Cooking and torts.

Start with those and follow your passion. Joseph Campbell taugh us decades ago to "follow your bliss."

Do it Josh. Just simply do it. :hug2:

Tink
13-03-2010, 04:01 PM
The late, great Joseph Campbell...

Follow your bliss and the universe will open doors where there were only walls.

Jodie
13-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh and if I don't go to Goldsmiths, I'm not going to JMU. I'm gonna either go wild and apply for culinary college, or stay in my sixth form for a 3rd year and re-sit my exams.

Goldsmiths or Go wild, love it!

Jodie

josh.p.
13-03-2010, 06:18 PM
hmm... Tink... not sure I should be cooking torts :unsure: :rotfl:

Tinkfan
13-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Life is what you make it Josh, make sure you make it count,:hug2: