PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading now?

Johnie
16-07-2008, 02:00 AM
Looking for some good books to read this summer.

I am not currently reading anything :( I finished a very powerful book about school bullying earlier and have read all my library books. I could re-read something and that is probably what I will do.

foreverducky
16-07-2008, 02:28 AM
I ready smutty romances. :lol:

But occasionally read others out there. I enjoyed the Twilight series (even though it's for young adults). I also recently watched the Jane Austen Book Club, so on Amazon I recently bought some fiction books that reference Jane Austen books (if that makes sense). I enjoyed Jane Austen before that, but it just seemed like a better idea.

I absolutely love to read, but I usually spend all my time reading psychology/therapy books.

Tink
16-07-2008, 02:30 AM
If you've not read it, Dean Koontz, Odd series is good. Odd, Brother Odd, Forever Odd...

I have been reading quite a bit of work related things (I feel your pain, foreverducky!) so haven't read much for fun lately.

foreverducky
16-07-2008, 02:32 AM
:lol: Tink, we do tend to have similar pains (fyi: have one more report to work on). ;)

Dean Koontz is definitely good. Oh and the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris are quite entertaining.

Dawn
16-07-2008, 10:04 AM
The Book Thief is the best book I've read recently.

Just starting a Judy Garland biography now.

Skywatcher
16-07-2008, 10:08 AM
re-reading 'His Dark Materials' by Philip Pullman

Superb book - best ever :D

(yes I'm still banging on about it)

keith
16-07-2008, 11:25 AM
If you've not read it, Dean Koontz, Odd series is good. Odd, Brother Odd, Forever Odd...

Yep another Dean Koontz fan here

keith
16-07-2008, 11:25 AM
re-reading 'His Dark Materials' by Philip Pullman

Superb book - best ever :D

(yes I'm still banging on about it)

Chris :lol:

Actually you were the one who told me about them and I've read them several times since your recommendation

Britchick
16-07-2008, 11:27 AM
what about the kite runner. dh read it on holiday and says it's one of the best books he#s read

Tink
16-07-2008, 11:27 AM
Remind me about these? I remember the title, but not the content. Are they scary? :unsure: Hate to sound like a total whimp (but hey, if the shoe fits)... I don't mind some levels of scary, but have a very fine line between enjoyment and can't sleep for nights on end. :sorry:

Johnie
16-07-2008, 01:12 PM
A client recommended the Odd series a few weeks ago. I've read them all except the very first one which seems to be out of print. They were really good. I especially liked Elvis making an appearance :yes:

Claire
16-07-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm reading a lot of Jody Picoult books again. Just finished 19 Minutes. Very good.

Wendy
16-07-2008, 01:30 PM
I'm reading The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton, I'm half way through and I'm really enjoying it.

Beccaberry
16-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer - interesting read

Andrew is reading the Chris Farley bio, he says it's been a good read so far.

Baleigh is reading Teen Beat magazine at the moment; I have to say I didn't even know they still published Teen Beat magazine.

Jon is reading...Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrell

SleepinCatz
16-07-2008, 01:45 PM

I totally agree! Great reads...the whole series!!!

Disneybumble
16-07-2008, 01:55 PM
I am reading Gordon Ramsay's auto bio. Have just finished "we need to talk about Kevin". I also love anything by Marian Keyes.

Johnie
16-07-2008, 01:57 PM
I got into the whole Jodie Picoult stuff awhile back. Very good reads. And i think I've read all of Marian Keyes. And I am almost done with all of David Baldalci. I also used to love Patricia Cornwell, her early stuff scared me to death. But, I think that's more so b/c everything was set here in Richmond and I knew where it was.

Dorothy
16-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I just finished Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen and The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield.

They are both available on Amazon in paperback.

Johnie
16-07-2008, 02:19 PM
I think I've read the Thirteenth Tale

Dorothy
16-07-2008, 02:20 PM
I think I've read the Thirteenth Tale

It was sort of strange, but an interesting read with the twists and turns it took.

Taja
16-07-2008, 03:42 PM
Financial statements and internal documents from a company we just acquired. :sigh;

So much for light summer reading! :lol:

BevW
16-07-2008, 06:16 PM
I ready smutty romances. :lol:

Me too! :wave: But right now I'm reading Jude Devereaux Forever and Always trilogy. Magic Mystery and Fun!

Figment
16-07-2008, 07:16 PM
I haven't picked up her latest yet...but rather addicting to those who like smutty romances or a bit of vampirish action...I highly recomment Sherilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series. (http://www.dailyinquisitor.com/hunter/) They are simple, pure fun and not really very thought provoking...well, sometimes a bit of those kind of thoughts. :wink: But they are a fun read.

ukwdwnut
16-07-2008, 08:36 PM
have not read a book in my life, dont even read the paper anymore

josh.p.
16-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I read marley and me last, a book about a michievious dog, it was fantastic and apparently its getting made into a film.

Anyone reccomend something funny and light for me to read?

Something I would reccomend, but its not light *at all* is 'the lovely bones' by Alice something or other.

Its about a girl who gets killed, and she is a watching everyone that she knew when she was alive, from heaven.

SleepinCatz
16-07-2008, 08:42 PM
not even a WDW guide book??????

Claire
16-07-2008, 08:44 PM
I read marley and me last, a book about a michievious dog, it was fantastic and apparently its getting made into a film.

Something I would reccomend, but its not light *at all* is 'the lovely bones' by Alice something or other.

Its about a girl who gets killed, and she is a watching everyone that she knew when she was alive, from heaven.

The Lovely Bones is a great book Josh. Very sad in places.

ukwdwnut
16-07-2008, 09:03 PM
not even a WDW guide book??????

oh crap i got sent one by a friend and i forgot all about it, will get that out as i have a lot of time spare now.....shhhh dont tell her she will belt me :lol:

Tink
16-07-2008, 09:26 PM
I misspoke. It's Odd Thomas, the first one. It's out of print! :eek: Surely your library or a used bookstore would have it? :unsure:

Life of Pi is well worth reading too.

Light reading...hmmmm...you know Josh? I can't come up with anything I think you might like. :unsure:

foreverducky
17-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Yes, Lovely Bones was fantastic. I cried a couple times during it.

Beccaberry
17-07-2008, 01:06 AM
I too enjoyed lovely bones...I listened to the audio book...a bit sad in places...

Beccaberry
17-07-2008, 01:09 AM

Depends on what you find funny and light....fiction? nonfic?

Eats, Shoots and Leaves is good in a nonfiction sort of way....

Johnie
17-07-2008, 01:29 AM
Lovely Bones was really sad.

What type of stuff do you like to read? The Odd Thomas series is light and you don't even have to read them in order to get it.

I have this thing about historical fiction and biographies of ancient rulers and then there is my thing about Mary Magdalene.....nothing light over here.

Wendy
17-07-2008, 09:05 AM
The Lovely Bones is a great book Josh. Very sad in places.

I've never read that, I might see if I can get it.

I have read Before I Die by Jenny Downham, that is a really sad book, but it made you smile and laugh at times as well.

Britchick
17-07-2008, 09:09 AM
is the lovely bones one about a girl that was murdered and she is narrating the book? if so i have read that

i really liked Tuesdays with Morrie

foreverducky
17-07-2008, 12:35 PM
is the lovely bones one about a girl that was murdered and she is narrating the book? if so i have read that

Yep, that's it. :yes: