PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts or Ideas? **WITH UPDATE**

Beccaberry
16-03-2010, 12:13 AM
Ok, so remember my girlfriend from the other day? The one staying at the "Animal Hotel" and wanting to have a meal with "the dog with the tongue?"

So they left for Disney today. My first text from her read "Couldn't find the parking garage, went to the wrong gate and now our flight is delayed. Please tell me it will get better."

Of course I texted her saying, "It will ABSOLUTELY get better, I'll send pixie dust right away!!"

The next text read, "Pixie dust received!! We just landed!!!"

I was so excited for her. This is their first Disney trip and in many ways, it's a life changing one. To give you a brief history...consider the last couple on EARTH you'd expect to have children, and then look right below that couple and you'll find Michelle and Jason. Well guess what? They are now utterly and COMPLETELY in love with their new daughter Ryan (as am I). In the past, Michelle and Jason's spring break trips have included such things as a trip to Egypt, the Rainforest and, last year, the Galapagos Islands. Their last trip was a page right out of Robinson Caruso. The ship (and I use that term loosely, very loosely) capsized and hit a rock on their second night at sea and they were forced to abandon ship (seriously people, I'm talking JUMPING INTO THE OCEAN HERE). They faced a total nightmare getting home and to top it off...when she returned...she found out she was expecting. This year she phoned me and said, "Rebecca we're not quite ready for another "adventure" yet, so we were thinking we might try Disney this year. It still sounds fun but Jason feels like it's safe enough in case, (and I quote) "we should need supplies or something" (seriously, that trip traumatized them).

Imagine my disappointment when she texted me this afternoon at six o'clock this evening saying they STILL had not been assigned a room at AKL and Ryan was miserable and tired and had been crying for over two hours and she (Michelle) wasn't far behind. She thinks she jinxed, a harbinger of bad vacations.

I feel so very bad for her. These are two of the most deserving, hard working people you will ever know. Michelle has been at our school for over 10 years and Jason works a bazillion hours a week running a community center in Bridgeport (think inner city and all that entails). They NEED this vacation to be magical. Or heck, at the very least not be miserable.

All that to say I'd like to do something special for them...send them something to their room, pay for a nice dinner some where....ANYTHING that might brighten their trip a bit...

Any thoughts or suggestions would be ENTIRELY appreciated.

foreverducky
16-03-2010, 12:16 AM
Re: Thoughts or Ideas?

I know it's expensive, but a meal at the castle can't be beat when it comes to magic. Or how about a massage at the spa?

foreverducky
16-03-2010, 12:16 AM

I guess the spa is expensive too....these just came to mind first.

Beccaberry
16-03-2010, 12:17 AM

OOOH!! I like the idea of a spa treatment....especially since they aren't really "drinkers" (shocking that I even know them, I know :wink: )

foreverducky
16-03-2010, 12:20 AM

That would definitely help them to relax. Do I win something for picking a good idea? Huh? Huh? :tongue:

Beccaberry
16-03-2010, 12:22 AM

LOL, you win my undying gratitude :worship:

foreverducky
16-03-2010, 12:26 AM

Of course I would much rather have jewels and gold coins, I will definitely take that too. :taunt:

Tink
16-03-2010, 01:14 AM

What would they do with the baby? :unsure:

A specialty cruise with some light food (cheese and crackers and soda?)? They could bring the baby then?

I sure wish I was home. I'd give Mr. Gilts a call (hint, hint) he works at the AKL front desk. His son and I are friends (hint, hint,hint). We used to work together (he's got my old job now)....

He sure could fix things up if they needed fixing... (He's a retired choral minister who works at Disney to keep body and soul alive, you know). :sigh:

Beccaberry
16-03-2010, 01:30 AM

What would they do with the baby? :unsure:

A specialty cruise with some light food (cheese and crackers and soda?)? They could bring the baby then?

I sure wish I was home. I'd give Mr. Gilts a call (hint, hint) he works at the AKL front desk. His son and I are friends (hint, hint,hint). We used to work together (he's got my old job now)....

He sure could fix things up if they needed fixing... (He's a retired choral minister who works at Disney to keep body and soul alive, you know). :sigh:

Good point, Tink. Guess that might present a bit of a dilemma...

Hmmmm I like the idea of the cruise...though I think they may still be a bit "boat shy" :unsure:

Mr. Gilts...sounds like a lovely man...I bet I'd fancy chatting with him.

:hug2: Thanks for the suggestions...

I thought about seeing if I could fanagle a table w/ Ricardo, but wasn't sure if they'd let me put down my credit card to pay for their meal...

Also thought about sending concierge at AKL an email/fax and just explaining the situation (did I mention Thursday is their anniversary?) and asking them if there was any possible way to inject a bit of magic in their trip. Do you think that would be ill-received?

Tink
16-03-2010, 01:32 AM

I think it's a great idea.

I never thought I'd say this, but I wish they were at the Polynesian. I have a friend there who is conceirge. We'd take care of things right proper! :sigh:

But do give them a call. It can't hurt and who knows, it just might help!

OOOOOH! WAIT! How about a special order cake delivered to their room??? Disney does BEAUTIFUL cakes!!! If you were going to do a meal for them, Concierge could help, and then you could have the cake delivered to their table. :yes:

Beccaberry
16-03-2010, 01:35 AM

Excellent!! Thanks for the encouragement, I'll give them a call tomorrow morning, first thing!

PS. Love the cake idea! SHE LOVES CAKE!!!

Tink
16-03-2010, 01:39 AM

You can choose the type of cake, the type of filling, the flavor of frosting... have flowers on it (they do gorgeous roses) etc. :yes: OOOOOOH!!!!! :mental: MICKEY AND MINNIE CAKE TOPPERS!!! :mental:

What about a behind the scenes tour? Surely there is one where the baby could go?

Beccaberry
16-03-2010, 01:41 AM

I wondered about that, because they would *really* enjoy the tour "thing" but I wasn't sure if there was one they could take the baby on....

Tink
16-03-2010, 01:47 AM

I think the one about EPCOT they could? :unsure: The one that includes explaining the architecture, etc.

Cake and champagne works for me! :D

We had a lovely tray of champagne and other nice treats sent to our room when we were celbrating Herself's birthday. :yes: Flutes with Mickey heads... we still have those of course.

gwennie81
16-03-2010, 02:05 AM

You could get them a babysitter for an evening and then reservations at one of the nicer restaurants at Grand Floridian or the Boardwalk.

Tink
16-03-2010, 11:24 AM

I'm not sure that a babysitter would take one so young? Plus, I know I'd never be comfortable leaving my child with a pure stranger... :unsure:

daveann
16-03-2010, 11:42 AM

we had a cake for our wedding delivered to the table at narcosseees and it was lovely they packaged it up with folks and things all in a GF bag it was lovely :)
also we had some gifts sent to the room by disney gifts they were gorgeous our Johnie on here sent us a cool bag full of snacks and it really was lovely and after the snacks we still had the bag to remind us :)

Tinkfan
16-03-2010, 12:47 PM

I think the cake is a wonderful idea, maybe with a small Disney gift card included!!

Beccaberry
16-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Ok...fax sent...fingers crossed that it's received by a faerie :)

Now...about that cake, anyone know how I'd go about ordering one?

daveann
16-03-2010, 03:44 PM

Cakes - Specialty Cakes

Dining Extras
Special Experiences
A custom cake can be the icing on your celebration. Choose from a variety of cakes and shapes, personalized for your special occasion. Just give us 48 hours advance notice so we can make your customized creation. Available at most table-service restaurants. To order any custom bakery cake, call the Walt Disney World Resort at (407) 827-2253. Requires advanced reservations.

(407) WDW-DINE

daveann
16-03-2010, 03:44 PM

taken from disney site :) hope that helps

Beccaberry
16-03-2010, 03:57 PM

Thank you!!!

Beccaberry
23-03-2010, 12:41 AM
:) I just got the greatest text from my girlfriend Michelle :)

They are home :)

And her first words to me were "I miss the Mouse so much. Is this how it is for you EVERY day?"

I texted back and said, "Guess this means you had a good time?" (I never told her I'd contacted AKL :wink: )

She immediately returned with, "ARE YOU KIDDING ME? IT WAS MAGICAL!"

I asked in what way and she said, "They did so many special things for us for us!!! One night we returned to our room to find yummy chocolate and paper made from elephant poo, the next night it was a delicious fruit platter and then...the night before our morning safari, we received the BIGGEST safari Mickey!!"

AKL came through BIG time for this sweet family and I am once again amazed at the power of pixie dust.

Thank you all :hug2:

PS. (No, I'm not sure about the "paper made from elephant poo" either, but she seems THRILLED about it! :wink:

Johnie
23-03-2010, 12:46 AM
I've seen the cards made out of recycled elephant poo....very cool.

I love to hear stories like this :-)

Tink
23-03-2010, 01:43 AM
Uhhhh, elephant poo? :eek: Wowee... magical huh? :unsure: :lol:

Good that they found the magic, Becca! :yes: (Elephant poo and all...).

Deafjeff
23-03-2010, 08:01 AM
We use sheep poo over her in wales! :-)

Brought my hubby sheep poo book mark! :yes:

uscwest
23-03-2010, 11:07 AM
Now Becca, you realize the biggest problem with this don't you? You've got her so turned on to Disney that she is going to expect that sort of treatment every time. LOL.

Beccaberry
23-03-2010, 12:47 PM
LOL, I thought about that...but you know what? I'm a firm believer that if you go expecting magic to happen...it will. You just have to be willing to see it.

Shellyamc
23-03-2010, 03:18 PM
I missed this thread when it was new, but I'm happy I found it now :thumbsup:

You are a very sweet and special friend to deliver such Disney magic :hug2::yes: