PDA

View Full Version : What are your must do disney restaurants?

goofygal
21-03-2010, 12:31 PM
hiya :wave: more questions :)

we have the free dining plan which I hope is a good idea :unsure: so need to decide how to use the credits now :tongue:

what are your absolute must do disneyworld restaurants either at the parks or the hotels and why do you like them? we really need some clues :hug2:

Britchick
21-03-2010, 12:33 PM
boma
crystal palace
le cellier
ohana
teppan edo

Dawn
21-03-2010, 12:35 PM
Well our must do is 50s Prime Time. It's not fine dining but it's a lot of fun.

Britchick
21-03-2010, 12:37 PM
oh yeah Dawn - i forgot about that. I like the theming and surprises and it's more like a home cooked experience. The smores are to die for, in fact a friend of mine ate so much of them he recoils when you offer him them!

Deafjeff
21-03-2010, 02:00 PM
Hollywood and vine (fantasmic dinner package) you get to seat at VIP seating area and it is fun watching the cast members stopping people trying to sneak in :-)

The VIP seat is free by the way but you must request this when you book your table

catrancher
21-03-2010, 02:13 PM
Oh yeah! We love the 50's Prime Time. I have to have a peanut butter and jelly milk shake. Also love to watch people who've never been there before being told they have to eat their vegetables or they get to stand in the corner! :thumbsup:

Last time we went we were really disappointed in Le Cellier. The people at the table next to us had a wee lad who kept trying to kick my DW. They also refused to try to control him! Mom put his hands in time out for 10 seconds. Just his hands mind you. That was right before he slugged her! Dad just sat there and ignored the whole thing! And to top it all off, the service was horrible and our server was surly at best. Horrible, I tell you! :thumbsdown:

Tom (:macwave:... Mom always liked you best!)

keith
21-03-2010, 02:30 PM
Oh yeah! We love the 50's Prime Time. I have to have a peanut butter and jelly milk shake. Also love to watch people who've never been there before being told they have to eat their vegetables or they get to stand in the corner! :thumbsup:

I'm too scared to try it :lol:

Last time we went we were really disappointed in Le Cellier. The people at the table next to us had a wee lad who kept trying to kick my DW. They also refused to try to control him! Mom put his hands in time out for 10 seconds. Just his hands mind you. That was right before he slugged her! Dad just sat there and ignored the whole thing! And to top it all off, the service was horrible and our server was surly at best. Horrible, I tell you! :thumbsdown:

I can't tell you how many times I've seen/heard this.

Ten years ago, Le Cellier was a joy! you could walk up, get in with no fuss and the servers all really cared about everything. Couldn't get better food or service in EPCOT :yes:

Gradually it got more and more popular and then it's single credit status on the dining plan just blew the whole thing. For the last few years it's been so popular, so hard to book that I think Disney, the servers there and the whole attitude that exudes is one of "we're so good you have to beg us for a table and we don't have to try". Unfortunately now the menu is far less varied, lobster and other specials off the menu to avoid people getting it "on the cheap" with the dining plan. Far less care with the food and sadly, strollers everywhere, kids running wild and so on.

We've kept trying it but last TRULY good experience there... 2001/2002 I reckon :(

catrancher
21-03-2010, 02:34 PM
I'm too scared to try it :lol:

Wimp! :taunt:

Seriously, you should try it Keith! It's loads of fun! :thumbsup:

last TRULY good experience there... 2001/2002 I reckon :(

I'd have to agree with you on that! We used to love going to Le Cellier years ago. But now.... I think we're done with it unless there are some rather drastic changes.

Tom (:macwave:... I'll go visit Ricardo for my steaks now!)

pigletpete
21-03-2010, 02:46 PM
ohana
teppan edo

what are these two please? I've heard them mentioned but dont know where they are or why theyre any good :sorry:

Slowhand
21-03-2010, 02:48 PM
My DW and I always enjoy dinner whenever we are in Florida, sometimes foresaking lunch so as not to spoil it!
Sadly the standards have slipped at many of the on-site restaurants of late [hence we now venture further afield], but there are still a few that are still on our "must do" list for the times when we are staying on-site.
In no particular order, these are:~
Yachtsman`s Steak House ~ Best on site steakhouse, and we know one of the servers there very well.
Flying Fish ~ Good food in a great location on the Boardwalk
Narcoosee`s ~ Great location to view the MK fireworks, although the service can be a bit "hit and miss"
Citrico`s ~ The food presentation is excellent and it has a more "adult" feel, plus, again we know one of their servers which helps.
Artists Point ~ Great food and an ideal location away from the main park areas
Bistro de Paris ~ Again great food and the ability to see Illuminations either before or after dinner
Blue Zoo ~ A bit pricy but great for that special meal
V & A`s ~ La creme de la creme of restaurants, although not always visited each time we are there, but the perfect spot for that celebration dinner.

catrancher
21-03-2010, 02:53 PM
what are these two please? I've heard them mentioned but dont know where they are or why theyre any good :sorry:

'Ohana is located in the Polynesian resort. I haven't eaten there but have heard good things about it. Here's the link to the Disney information on it:

'Ohana (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/resorts/polynesian-resort/dining/ohanas/)

Teppan Edo is in the Japan pavilion in EPCOT. We've eaten there once and I enjoyed it. Haven't been back however since my DW is not a big Teppan-yaki kind of fan. Here's the Disney link:

Teppan Edo (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/epcot/dining/teppan-edo-restaurant/)

Tom (:macwave:... now I'm hungry!)

Tink
21-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Add me to the wimp list! :eek: No way am I venturing into Prime Time 50's Cafe! :lipwobble: We do stop for a drink once in awhile at the attached Tune In Lounge. :yes: No abuse there. But the service is pretty poor anymore...

We are in keeping with Slowhand's comments. Things have fallen off markedly at WDW since the advent and continued use of DDP. :shrug:

We didn't even renew our TIW card this year for the first time since it's inception. :cry2:

However, we do enjoy dinner at Yachtsman's Steakhouse, Bistro de Paris, and for extremely casual dining (especially with a group of folks who have a wide variety of preferences) Cape May's Dinner Buffet.

Jiko is nice, but has slipped since the loss of their Executive Chef Annette... :( We really didn't like Sanaa at all. :sorry:

Boma, meh. Been there, done that... changes have made it less than the experience it used to be. Totally underwhelmed at their breakfast buffet at our last stay. :sorry:

Gosh, not too much positive from me, is there? :sorry:

I guess I've been around too long and remember the days when the servers were happy to see you and the chefs truly cared about what they were serving...

Oh! Artist Pointe is a lovely place. :yes:

catrancher
21-03-2010, 02:56 PM
Yachtsman`s Steak House ~ Best on site steakhouse, and we know one of the servers there very well.

Oh yeah! :thumbsup: :yes:

V & A`s ~ La creme de la creme of restaurants, although not always visited each time we are there, but the perfect spot for that celebration dinner.

Oh yeah! :thumbsup: :yes: (did I just repeat myself?)

Tom (:macwave:... agrees with Slowhand!)

Britchick
21-03-2010, 04:11 PM
in V&As - if you don't want the wine parings do they offer any other soft drinks? i get bored of bottled water and wouldn't want to drink a soda!!

Slowhand
21-03-2010, 04:19 PM
in V&As - if you don't want the wine parings do they offer any other soft drinks? i get bored of bottled water and wouldn't want to drink a soda!!
Being the type of place it is I`m sure that they would offer you virtually anything that you fancied to be honest.

Britchick
21-03-2010, 04:22 PM
something like Elderflower presse?

Slowhand
21-03-2010, 04:27 PM
something like Elderflower presse?
Hmmm, dunno about that one! :lol:

keith
21-03-2010, 04:29 PM

I don't know that it would be included free, but there's a full range of soft drinks available for sure :yes:

Dawn
21-03-2010, 04:52 PM
Phone them and ask. :thumbsup:

Britchick
21-03-2010, 07:02 PM
i may well do that! thanks

uscwest
21-03-2010, 10:58 PM
V&A but obviously not every time due to the cost

JIKO
Yachtsman Steakhouse (if Ricky is working)
Citrico's
50's Prime Time
Flying Fish
Kouzzina

gwennie81
21-03-2010, 11:24 PM
You guys are scaring me about Le Cellier. After waiting forever to get a rez, I'm finally going to get to eat there in a few weeks. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the rez and just eating at Rose & Crown like usual! EEEK!

keith
21-03-2010, 11:29 PM
You guys are scaring me about Le Cellier. After waiting forever to get a rez, I'm finally going to get to eat there in a few weeks. Now I'm thinking about cancelling the rez and just eating at Rose & Crown like usual! EEEK!

I think you have to try it :yes: The thing is, with the dining plan, places are so variable that I can go one day and find it rubbish, you can go a few hours later and it's great!

Tinkfan
22-03-2010, 12:59 AM

We had an enjoyable meal there in September, it was our first time there and the meal was fine. Our sever was a student in education and enjoyed talking to my husband about a further degree. Ty had the chicken and it was very good, we both had the fillet and that was good as well. It wasn't the best filet I've ever had but we are blessed to have some very good places at home. Some how we usually enjoy our meals at Disney because we're all together, I guess I think for an amusement park by and large they do a great job :yes: We have pretty much stuck to the 1 credit places when Ty was younger and now look forward to trying some of the others LOL.

keith
22-03-2010, 01:03 AM
yep, have to keep in mind theyre a very very busy restaurant in the middle of a theme park it's true! Although the pricing makes it hard to avoid comparing it to more upscale places.

It's just, every time I have a steak at Disney and it's "just ok" I start thinking about Charley's Steakhouse and how brilliant that is

Tink
22-03-2010, 01:12 AM
Or Ruth's Chris. ;) :lol:

We went to Celebration Hotel tonight for a relative's dinner. We, of couse pass by Charley's to get there.

On the way out, my comment was that we should have gone to Charley's on OBT for the relative to get a free birthday dinner... and us some food that was edible.

Don't waste your time going to the Celebration Hotel. We had a fabulous Valentine's dinner there a year or so ago, and a great breakfast brunch (we stayed the weekend).

Something happened between then and now, because this dinner was just 'yucky.'

One relative commented that her filet mignon tasted like liver. How gross is THAT?! :eek:

Tinkfan
22-03-2010, 01:17 AM
Our next trip after this one in a few weeks will be off site, we're thinking of renting a villa or two. Then I'll be wanting to know of some good off site places. Charlies huh?! We're usually only at Disney for 8 days and frankly with my health problems I usually don't have the energy to look for a place to eat off site. Even when we stay off site I would like to be prepared with a few places to call for ressies. :sorry: I haven't been well for the past month and I'm beginning to be worried about this coming trip. Hope it's better than I anticipate. :yes:

Tinkfan
22-03-2010, 01:19 AM
Or Ruth's Chris. ;) :lol:

We went to Celebration Hotel tonight for a relative's dinner. We, of couse pass by Charley's to get there.

On the way out, my comment was that we should have gone to Charley's on OBT for the relative to get a free birthday dinner... and us some food that was edible.

Don't waste your time going to the Celebration Hotel. We had a fabulous Valentine's dinner there a year or so ago, and a great breakfast brunch (we stayed the weekend).

Something happened between then and now, because this dinner was just 'yucky.'

One relative commented that her filet mignon tasted like liver. How gross is THAT?! :eek:

That's pretty gross Tink!!! :thumbsdown:

Tink
22-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Loads of great places offsite! :yes:

The Dr. Phillips area (very convenient to Disney) has a huge variety of places from Season's 52, which I no longer recommend, to a great Lebanese place (Cedar's) to the Melting Pot, to Moon Fish, Ruth's Chris, Antonio's (upstairs) Roy's and really, bunches of others! :yes:

What sort of food do you like?

ukwdwnut
22-03-2010, 10:38 AM
to try one would be a good starter. never stayed onsite so never had a chance to visit one what with the DDP now and people saying its so hard to get a table because of it :(

Tinkfan
22-03-2010, 12:05 PM
Loads of great places offsite! :yes:

The Dr. Phillips area (very convenient to Disney) has a huge variety of places from Season's 52, which I no longer recommend, to a great Lebanese place (Cedar's) to the Melting Pot, to Moon Fish, Ruth's Chris, Antonio's (upstairs) Roy's and really, bunches of others! :yes:

What sort of food do you like?

We're fairly plain eaters Tink, it doesn't have to have a zillion ingredients in order for us to like it! Just fresh and well prepared. We enjoy Italian, a good steak once in awhile, good salads( at least Ben and I!) seafood and even a really good sandwich. Of course at home we eat mountains of chicken and turkey. We eat pretty healthy on a whole but will splurge on vacation!

Tink
22-03-2010, 01:06 PM
Oh, then you need to try TooJays. :D :D

It's in the Dr. Phillips area, only go along Sand Lake Rd, until you take a right on Dr. Phillips Blvd. TooJays will be in the strip mall shops on the left. Just pull in and you'll see it there.

Sandwiches like you won't believe and some nice food otherwise too. They call themselves a NY style deli, but don't let that stop you. :lol:

Sweet Tomatoes is a buffet. Many folks like it... I get a little nervous at buffets outside of Disney, I must say...

Bone Fish is a good place for good food, and not just fish. They make the BEST burger there! It's on a brioche bun too. Nice salads.

If you stay away from IDrive eateries, you'll do ok. :yes: That's the "strip" that no local would deliberately eat "on" if you know what I mean. :)

Tinkfan
22-03-2010, 02:04 PM
That sounds great, we try to stay away from chain restaurants that we have at home just so we can try some new things, plus the fact that all chains are not created equal if you know what i mean! We went to visit our son in Georgia when he was training and he took us to a popular buffet the Golden Corral, it was wonderful, spotless, chefs preparing cook to order specials all over the place, fresh, fresh produce! Not gourmet cooking but tasty and inexpensive as well. So on the way back home 2 weeks later we spy one in Erie PA and decide to stop for dinner :blech: We walked in, filthy, gross, disgusting, out the door we went!!!( still hungry) The same for the I Hop, loved it in Georgia, stopped in one in Orlando when Ty was small, back out without eating! Yech:sorry:

Tink
22-03-2010, 03:58 PM
Orlando is the great chain capitol of the world! :eek:

Golden Corral. Nope. :lipwobble: There is one right near DTD, that if you must, it's ok, but nope...

TooJays is a chain, but it's a fairly decent one. There is one over on east 50 that isn't so great, but the one in Dr. Phillips is good. :yes:

Cedar's is locally owned and very authentic. I think you'd like it. :yes:

The area I'm talking about is easily reached:

From DTD take Hotel Plaza Blvd to a LEFT on SR 535 at Cross Roads moving immediately to the RIGHT lane. At Palm Parkway take a RIGHT and follow the road (which becomes Turkey Lake Rd) until you come to the intersection of Turkey Lake Rd. and Sand Lake Rd. (The new Whole Foods will be on your right - which by the way has a very nice selection of food to eat on site or to go). At the intersection take a LEFT onto Sand Lake Rd, and the shops and restaurants will "start" within a few yards or so. Follow Sand Lake along until you come to Dr. Phillips Blvd. and turn RIGHT on that road and you'll see a bunch more choices on the LEFT. :yes:

If you follow Sand Lake to just beyond the Dr. Phillips turn, you will come to the very newest shopping/dining area. Park in the garage (free) and get out and stroll. Not a huge place, so not a bunch of walking... nice restaurants and options in there too.