PDA

View Full Version : Health Insurance Reform Passes!

Tink
23-03-2010, 10:33 PM
It's a divisive subject to be sure, but the President has just signed health care reform (which is essentially health insurance reform) into being. :tralala:

I don't pretend to understand it all, and am terribly disappointed that there was no public option, but it's a start! I'll take it!

Now... I wonder what he'll turn his attention to? :D

Johnie
24-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Probably all of the lawsuits that he and the fed gov't are now facing. 14 states have already filed suit saying it's unconstitutional :sorry: My state being one of them.

I have read some vile things from my Republican Facebook friends regarding this. All I can say is they must have never been without health insurance.

I don't understand it all either but I don't see how medical coverage for ALL is a bad thing :unsure:

Tink
24-03-2010, 12:52 AM
Those law suits won't stand up in court. Talk about a huge waste of time and resources. Nothing like sore losers.

I've known some wonderful caring people who voted republican over the years. They are absolutely horrified at the behavior of some of the more vocal republicans at this time.

It's sad. Divisiveness never does anyone any good.

Democrats are just as bad, don't get me wrong! Partisan politics always are.

All we can do with the passage of time show that the end of the world is not coming.

I do wish there were a public option though. :sigh: Single payor source... but no matter. We have to start some where and we've started.

I've been without insurance (for quite some time actually) and it's a frightening place to be. I'd not wish it on anyone. :(

Johnie
24-03-2010, 01:01 AM
I certainly don't want anyone to think I am painting all Republicans with the same brush. I know lots of very intelligent, caring people who are all over the place politically. I just happen to be talking about the very scary, uneducated ones on my FB page.

I have been very lucky to almost always have health insurance. I've been without insurance for a short time or two. It IS very scary.

keith
24-03-2010, 01:07 AM
I know it's probably a daft question but for those of us in the UK, I don't think we quite appreciate what that means.

So you have no insurance and you're in an accident. Someone rushes you to a&e, you're able to say "no insurance", what happens next?

Do you get thrown out? driven to a medicare hospital? stabilised but no more? treated but invoiced directly and then sued if you can't pay?

What exactly happens to someone who lets say has a "normal" job and lifestyle but just doesn't have insurance?

Tink
24-03-2010, 02:12 AM
There is an ER law that says anyone brought to the ER must be stabilized.

So, if you are critically wounded in an accident, you will be stabilized. You may or may not then be admitted. Most often, the hospital will try to move you to another hospital. If the don't or can't, and you are admitted, you will be soon visited by a social worker who will ask you how you intend to pay for the care you have recieved.

Bottom line, you'll incur great debt and that is the true reason many people end up homeless.

In my case, I had a few health issues come up during the time I was not insured. I incurred fairly substantial debt and paid it off over time. What bothered me most during all of that (and I am talking about thousands, not hundreds) is that I paid more than any other payer of charges. Everyone other than the person with no insurance gets charged less. How's that for beyond ridiculous.

One instance of injury during the time I had no insurance resulted in my simply not seeking care. I had dropped a concrete block on my foot and broken some bones in the top of my foot. No insurance. No extra money. No care. I have a dent in my foot from the injury to this day. :shrug:

I have gone without coverage even when insured as a result of that lovely "pre-existing condition" nonsense. Fortunately for me I could wait out the (two year) waiting period, and am now covered.

No having insurance leads to lack of preventative care, overuse of ERs, and premature death due to the inability to obtain diagnostic tests and the subsequent care that would keep the person alive.

It's not a joke. It's not a rare instance and it's not something that should be acceptable in any country, let alone one that is supposed to be as advanced as the USA.

The fear mongerers like to shriek about death panels and that is utterly and totally ridiculous. That is what we have now. My Mother can no longer receive a medication that substantially increased her quality of life, as she "had it for too long" and since she didnt' die, it's clear "she didn't really need it." I'm serious. That is the language on the insurance decision, made by non-medical people.

We've talked a bit about the ridiculous waste of resources on the whole census thing.

Now that I have (very poor, but I have it) health insurance coverage, I am disgusted by the money that is wasted on flyers that tell me how to take care of myself, calls from nurses who try to tell me what to do about my health (the only problem is that they don't have the diagnosis right) and any number of slick publications touting the insurance company. All expenses that could go toward lowering insurance premiums, or increasing coverage.

I ran into serious health issues when my insurance refused to pay for my name brand thyroid medication. The generic did not work for me. So now, I pay for it out of my pocket. It's my only choice.

I'm sorry to go on and on, and to be so personal, but I've learned that disclosing my problems with healthcare in this country tends to be more powerful than talking in generalities.

The truly heartbreaking thing? My issues are very, very minor compared to others.

I'm alive.

Shellyamc
24-03-2010, 06:48 AM
Ok I had some long silly post here about my thoughts and feelings, but it is 2:40 in the morning and I don't feel that great and I can't say that much of it would have made any sense.

I was one of the many who voiced my concern on facebook and I guess if I'm part of the "uneducated republicans" then even though I am not uneducated or republican then so be it.

It isn't the reform that bother me the most in all of this. God knows things need to change. It is all of the junk that was pushed through along with this bill. No one read it and no one knows how we are going to pay for it. Where is all this money going to come from? They say it will save us money, but how much is it going to cost us first?

That and for some reason Congress is exempt from this bill?? Why? If they are passing something so great and wonderful for the rest of the Country then why wouldn't they want to be part of it themselves? That scares me? It just feels like someone is pulling something over on me.

I try never to talk about these things because I always end up feeling stupid in the end, but we are on such a slippery trail here. I'm worried where we are all going to land. :unsure:

ukwdwnut
24-03-2010, 11:20 AM
id hate to not be able to afford med ins over there OMG!!! there must be 1000's even 1m's who cant that work all hours for little pay and thats soooooooo wrong....i think every country should have what we have, whereby you ins cover is taken in taxes so you dont have to worry, im sure glad it is when i got diagnosed, my drugs cost 10's of 1000's each yr im told....doesnt bare thinking about really

Tink
24-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Ok I had some long silly post here about my thoughts and feelings, but it is 2:40 in the morning and I don't feel that great and I can't say that much of it would have made any sense.

I was one of the many who voiced my concern on facebook and I guess if I'm part of the "uneducated republicans" then even though I am not uneducated or republican then so be it.

It isn't the reform that bother me the most in all of this. God knows things need to change. It is all of the junk that was pushed through along with this bill. No one read it and no one knows how we are going to pay for it. Where is all this money going to come from? They say it will save us money, but how much is it going to cost us first?

That and for some reason Congress is exempt from this bill?? Why? If they are passing something so great and wonderful for the rest of the Country then why wouldn't they want to be part of it themselves? That scares me? It just feels like someone is pulling something over on me.

I try never to talk about these things because I always end up feeling stupid in the end, but we are on such a slippery trail here. I'm worried where we are all going to land. :unsure:

Shellyamc, don't you dare call yourself uneducated! :hug2: You have every right to voice your concerns. :yes:

The bill is long as most are and quite tedious, eh? But it can be read. :yes:

I don't think it's perfect by any means, but it's a start. We'll pay for it in the manner that we pay for everything; through taxes, and through rearranging how we spend our money now.

My main objection to this whole thing is the needless fear mongering that took place, and the absolute refusal of some of our politicians to come together and work it out. There was a feeling that if they refused this wouldn't pass. Instead, it did pass and now we are going to have to go through a series of reforms to get where we really need to be.

Far better to have laid aside partisan politics and everyone work for the best solution possible.

President Obama is not a saint, nor is he the greatest president that ever lived, but he deserves to be given a chance and far too many of our elected officals refuse to even consider that; a chance.

How about VP Biden, eh? :rolleyes: I'll never quite understand how he made it to VP status, or why President Obama thought he was a good choice. It seems like every time the man opens his mouth he says something offensive or embarrassing. :sigh:

catrancher
24-03-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm not going to get into a who's right and who's wrong kind of thing here.

What I will opine is this:

Do we need health care reform in this country? Absolutely.
Should there be medical coverage for every American? You betcha.
Should insurance companies be in the business of second guessing doctors? Not a chance.
Should drug companies be advertising on TV telling consumers that their life will be sunshine and flowers if you just tell your doctor to prescribe our drug? Not as far as I'm concerned!
Should I have to make a decision as to whether I will buy my prescriptions or my groceries this week? Not on your life.
Is the system broken? From doctors to hospitals to drug companies to insurance companies? Absolutely.
Is the legislation just passed the right decision? I have no idea.

Basically, as I posted in another thread, I'm just disgusted with the partisan political bickering! I'm an American citizen and I've got real problems with the medical system. I need solutions, not sound bites. Is this legislation right? I don't know. I'm not that smart. I don't pretend to be. But I do help elect representatives who are supposed to be that smart. Or who can enlist the aid of people who are. But rather than solutions to these problems, all I get is half-measures, sound bites, and law suits. Somebody please tell me how that helps?

In these days it seems that insurance companies and drug companies are making mega profits paid for with the blood of Americans who don't have any choice but to use their products. Who are being held hostage to high prices by the simplest threat in the world. Pay me or die! To me, it's tantamount to highway robbery. Oh sure, these companies will tell you that they're entitled to make a profit for their shareholders. Or that they've got to recoup their research costs on a medication. I guess my statement there would be "yes, you're entitled to a profit. A reasonable one." The drug companies cry about recouping their research costs but these costs are above the bottom line. They're part of the normal cost of doing business. When you get the kind of numbers they're producing below the line, they've already figured in their cost. Those numbers are pure profit. And they're astronomical. Is that fair? I don't know. Personally, I don't think so.

So, is the system broken. Yep. Sure is. Will this legislation fix it? Probably not. But it's good to see someone doing something instead of just wringing their hands and crying that something needs to be done.

Maybe this legislation will, at some point in time, make Congress sit up and take notice that the American people have a real problem that needs a real solution. Maybe they'll also stop playing partisan politics with my future and work together to get some real work done.

Maybe... but I doubt it.

Tom (:macwave:... sorry to get so long winded!)

Tink
24-03-2010, 11:39 AM
Thank you Tom! :hug2: All good points and very well said. :yes:

It is a broken system and starting somewhere to clean up the mess is better than never starting. It costs money to do clean ups and fix broken systems. What is not understood (or is refused to be seen?) is that is costs MORE money to function with a broken system!

Congress needs to be voted out if they are not going to work for the good of the nation. Politics was never meant to be a profession. It was originally intended (in this country) to be a time of service to one's country, and then stepping down. We were not supposed to have the kind of government that needed the Teddy Kennedys and other long term politicians to get things done.

Maybe that's one reform we need to push... term limits for all offices. :shrug:

Johnie
24-03-2010, 01:45 PM

Oh Shelly, I am sorry! You are NOT one I am referring to. In fact, I don't think I've even seen you post about the healthcare stuff on FB.

I am NOT referring to anyone who posts on here. These are just people that live here in VA that I went to high school with. Stupid then, stupid now.

Shellyamc
24-03-2010, 02:39 PM
Oh Shelly, I am sorry! You are NOT one I am referring to. In fact, I don't think I've even seen you post about the healthcare stuff on FB.

I am NOT referring to anyone who posts on here. These are just people that live here in VA that I went to high school with. Stupid then, stupid now.

:hug2:

honestly I was tired and grumpy. As Katie would say I was one of the "dorfs" ya know..the ones with Snow White. She calls them dorfs.

Anyway. I totally agree with what you are saying, Tink. Things are not going as they should. I think half of Congress agrees with the President and the other half doesn't and I honestly don't think any of them are listening to us and what we want??? I mean isn't that the point? I don't like the "this is the way it is going to be - so shut up" attitude of what has been going on lately.

As for Biden..well I think he is just there so SNL has something to do :unsure:

Beccaberry
24-03-2010, 02:42 PM

Best. Line. Ever.

:ROFL:

Tink
24-03-2010, 02:54 PM
As for Biden..well I think he is just there so SNL has something to do

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: OMG!!!! I seriously can't breathe!!!!!

Shellyamc, that is absolutely PERFECT!!!!!

Shellyamc
25-03-2010, 03:53 AM
:D

catrancher
25-03-2010, 11:05 AM

:ROFL:

Straight man for Tina Fey, maybe?

Tom (:macwave:... oh sure, you betcha!)

DisneyFreak
25-03-2010, 12:34 PM
We are doomed as a country until our elected officials, no matter their party affiliation, start working for the good of the people instead of their special interest groups....or should I say their "meal tickets". :thumbsdown:

That being said, I'm glad they finally got something passed for health reform. I'm sure there were many of these same questions and concerns when social security and medicare was first passed as well.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ3NzAzNjUxMl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwMTcxMzg2._V1._ CR0,0,475,475_SS90_.jpg (http://www.imdb.com/rg/photos-title/still_frame-4/media/rm2486343680/tt0109830)"...and that's all I have to say about that."