PDA

View Full Version : Got a Mac... remember 1986?

catrancher
26-03-2010, 02:03 PM
Okay. Back when Macs were just getting started, there was a goofy little do nothing program called "Talking Moose". You installed him and he'd run in the background and occasionally pop up and speak clever witticisms. Animated moose head to go along with it. Well, I thought it was long gone. Turns out that's not the case. Now, you too can have your own talking moose!

Here's the download page: Talking Moose (http://www.zathras.de/angelweb/moose.htm)

I think there's even a version now for Windoze!

Tom (:macwave:... easily entertained!)

keith
26-03-2010, 02:12 PM
I was telling someone at work about this only yesterday :lol: along with "the bomb"

catrancher
26-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I was telling someone at work about this only yesterday :lol: along with "the bomb"

The bomb! I had forgotten that one! I was working as a Mac developer years ago and we put together a version of that that we installed on the bosses computer. It was a simple little app that just displayed the bomb box. Of course, you'd try to put your mouse on the button to restart and before you could get to it, the button would jump to some random position on your screen!

Evil developers! :laugh2:

You could hear the boss screaming from all the way down the hall!

Tom (:macwave:... remembering Inside Macintosh, Volumes I-LXI. Or so it seemed!)

Skywatcher
26-03-2010, 03:21 PM
:lol:

keith
26-03-2010, 03:30 PM
The times I'd be working on a research paper and all of a sudden BING - bomb on screen and you could do absolutely NOTHING other than click restart. Shudder

Skywatcher
26-03-2010, 03:34 PM
My computer experiences of 1986 were waiting for the speccy to load for 10 minutes then the dreaded refersh black screen with

(c) 1982 Sinclair systems

pfft kids today! :lol:

ukwdwnut
26-03-2010, 03:36 PM
i had an amiga 500+ back then what a great machine that was, best of its time without a doubt :D

josh.p.
26-03-2010, 05:43 PM
This reminds me of a book I found in my media classroom today...

The Cult of Mac (Paperback): Amazon.co.uk: Leander Kahney: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cult-Mac-Paperback-Leander-Kahney/dp/1593271220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269625403&sr=8-1)

:D

keith
26-03-2010, 05:48 PM
This reminds me of a book I found in my media classroom today...

The Cult of Mac (Paperback): Amazon.co.uk: Leander Kahney: Books (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cult-Mac-Paperback-Leander-Kahney/dp/1593271220/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1269625403&sr=8-1)

:D

it's an interesting book. I don't know if mac is more culty now or less. I think it's more mainstream now really and less culty but there's still that element isnt there?

Someone recently described owning a mac as being at a party where the downstairs is full of people listening to rubbishy rap music, drinking cheap booze and throwing up whilst upstairs you find a select few people all sitting around talking philisophy, listening to classical music and drinking the finest wines. Upstairs being the mac and downstairs being the pc :lol:

josh.p.
26-03-2010, 05:52 PM
I prefer the sound of the PC party!! :rotfl:

catrancher
26-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Someone recently described owning a mac as being at a party where the downstairs is full of people listening to rubbishy rap music, drinking cheap booze and throwing up whilst upstairs you find a select few people all sitting around talking philisophy, listening to classical music and drinking the finest wines. Upstairs being the mac and downstairs being the pc :lol:

If you're looking for me, I'll be upstairs! :wiggle:

Tom (:macwave:... anybody got a good, Cuban cigar?)

keith
26-03-2010, 05:57 PM
I prefer the sound of the PC party!! :rotfl:

and indeed, the author of the article did as well! (but if you need me, I'll be upstairs chatting to Tom :yes: )

josh.p.
26-03-2010, 06:09 PM
I honestly think it'd be the other way round- PC's bore me!

keith
26-03-2010, 06:14 PM
I honestly think it'd be the other way round- PC's bore me!

The author of the article had battled the pc v mac question for years. He felt that at the end of the day, windows was rougher around the edges, less refined, but yet it was safe, expected and ubiquitous. The mac "cult" was more refined, special, a concious choice made rather than a work tool imposed.

He wasn't saying upstairs was boring, but rather than it was more considered, calmer, a little more thoughtful.

In the end, he decided that he whilst he would aspire to be upstairs, he didn't have the strength or patience to work it all out, to fight the masses :lol: so he went back to the pc.

josh.p.
27-03-2010, 12:46 AM
:rotfl: I suppose you are right :yes: LOL. I still think that if people used a mac from school on-wards, then they'd really not understand PC's at all.

After being 'all-mac' for a while now (with no windows machine), I just seriously don't enjoy using a PC. I used Dad's (vista) laptop today for facebook and even *that* got me annoyed.

keith
27-03-2010, 06:14 AM
After being 'all-mac' for a while now (with no windows machine), I just seriously don't enjoy using a PC. I used Dad's (vista) laptop today for facebook and even *that* got me annoyed.

Surprising effect isn't it?

Deafjeff
27-03-2010, 09:13 AM
My first ever computer was Commodore 16! Joy!

Britchick
27-03-2010, 10:20 AM
The times I'd be working on a research paper and all of a sudden BING - bomb on screen and you could do absolutely NOTHING other than click restart. Shudder

we have a computer system at work like that!

Tink
27-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Well, I do remember those bombs and how frustrating that was! :eek:

But pour me just a little flute of champagne, I'm headed up the stairs. ;)

josh.p.
27-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Surprising effect isn't it?
I honestly didn't think buying this macbook would have such an effect :yes: I'm used to the Mac from my iMac, but since I've stopped using windows I've really REALLY gotten used to OSX. The other day someone phoned me and asked how to do a system restore on their vista machine and I drew a blank! Completely forgot!