PDA

View Full Version : Only just over 3000 tigers left?

keith
03-27-2010, 11:02 PM
I was just reading Andy Rouse's article in a photography magazine. He's an outstanding uk wildlife photographer Andy Rouse (http://andyrouse.co.uk/index.asp)

He was saying how the WWF are now reporting only about 3000 tigers left in the wild and a very real fear of extinction.
I had to keep going back to read the number because I couldn't believe it!

WWF - For tigers, this is it. (http://www.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/tigers/last_of_the_tigers/)

Britchick
03-27-2010, 11:30 PM
That's not good:(

mumof2
03-27-2010, 11:41 PM
there have been reports concerning the decreasing number of lions in the news too over the past few days....very bad news.

keith
03-27-2010, 11:49 PM
I'm just staggered. Especially when you look at the distribution of them around the world. I just can't help thinking a disease or some disaster in one part of the world and there just won't be enough left to keep the species from extinction. Heck I'm not sure there is with the current numbers.

Really scary

josh.p.
03-28-2010, 12:01 AM
It's times like these that make me think the Human Race should be the extinct ones.

ukwdwnut
03-28-2010, 04:11 PM
wow thats real sad :(

there needs to be much stricter penalties for poachers i think

as for the Human Race should be the extinct ones its just a minority killing these beautiful animals

josh.p.
03-28-2010, 04:50 PM
wow thats real sad :(

there needs to be much stricter penalties for poachers i think

as for the Human Race should be the extinct ones its just a minority killing these beautiful animals
Everybody takes a part in it mick. We buy from unethical traders (it's basically unavoidable) we all contribute to global warming, deforestation, rising sea levels.

The blame doesn't lie just with poachers.

Tink
03-28-2010, 08:09 PM
No, no it doesn't Josh.

As we encroach on the earth, and strip it of its natural resources we take over that which the animals need to live. That which the earth needs to live too.

The rainforest situaiton is critical too.

That the tigers are so few makes me heartsick. It's the same for the lowland and the mountain gorillas. :(

I wonder if Niamh's children will know what they are?

uscwest
03-29-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm heartbroken. Tigers are far and away my favorite cats.

Skywatcher
03-29-2010, 01:23 PM
:sigh: they are the most beautiful creatures on the planet and at 3000 that is getting the point of a genetic bottleneck, they sad thing is it's all manmade - predominantly because of 'medical useage' no doubt as well as fur.

This almost brings me to tears

Now Cheetah are also on the decline but that isn't man made that is actually a evolutionary problem to do with scaveging - I won't bore you.

Johnie
03-29-2010, 02:13 PM
Tigers are my favorite. This makes me so incredibly sad.

Isafari
03-29-2010, 04:39 PM
Yes johnie, it is incredibly sad.........you all know how I adore and respect the big cats.