PDA

View Full Version : The Unveiling - my iPad

catrancher
03-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Well kids, I promised an unveiling and here it is! :mental:

This is the first post from my iPad!

To start with, here's a couple of photos of the Apple store festivities just before they brought us in.

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0061.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0062.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0064.jpg

Next up, we'll get to the unboxing!

Tom (:macwave:... ain't this fun!)

foreverducky
03-04-2010, 04:34 PM
It's like Christmas all over again, and Santa listened. :D

Deafjeff
03-04-2010, 04:48 PM
oooooooohhh! Just realised that my pay day is after the first day in the UK (that if the date is on 24th)

josh.p.
03-04-2010, 04:50 PM
woo! Did they take your name/reservation on an actual iPad?

catrancher
03-04-2010, 05:17 PM
woo! Did they take your name/reservation on an actual iPad?

Actually Josh, I didn't have a reservation. When I got there, they split us into two lines. Those with a reservation and those without. Then, for those of us without reservations, they came along and asked what model iPad we wanted. Sorry to disappoint but they used a good, old fashioned piece of paper to do that. Turns out this was because the early inventory was very limited. While it obviously didn't happen to me, I'm fairly certain that there were people there who ended up disappointed. :thumbsdown:

Tom (:macwave:... moving right along now!)

josh.p.
03-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Actually Josh, I didn't have a reservation. When I got there, they split us into two lines. Those with a reservation and those without. Then, for those of us without reservations, they came along and asked what model iPad we wanted. Sorry to disappoint but they used a good, old fashioned piece of paper to do that. Turns out this was because the early inventory was very limited. While it obviously didn't happen to me, I'm fairly certain that there were people there who ended up disappointed. :thumbsdown:

Tom (:macwave:... moving right along now!)
Oh.. did the man with an iPad just want to show off then? :rotfl:

catrancher
03-04-2010, 05:52 PM
Ok. On to the actual unboxing. First is a picture of the bag that followed me home!

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0066.jpg

Lo and behold, inside the bag is the actual iPad and the Incase sleeve I bought for it.

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0068.jpg

Open the box and what to my wondering eyes should appear but a pristine iPad. Only thing it doesn't have is my name on it. Yet... :thumbsup:

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0070.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0071.jpg

This is the extensive documentation that it comes with. All two page of it (front and back)

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0073.jpg

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0074.jpg

And, the power adapter (10 watt).

http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/iPad_unveiling/IMG_0075.jpg

Tom (:macwave:... Cool, huh?)

josh.p.
03-04-2010, 05:53 PM
This is so exciting. I love the apple stickers. I have about a million in my house! hah

catrancher
03-04-2010, 05:56 PM
Oh.. did the man with an iPad just want to show off then? :rotfl:

Yep! That was a it pretty much. He was actually just giving us a chance to have a play with it.

Tom (:macwave:... and I did!)

keith
03-04-2010, 06:02 PM
oh oh oh I SOOOO Want

Which one did you decide on Tom?

catrancher
03-04-2010, 06:17 PM
Now. On to my impressions. :mental:

I'm gonna love this thing! It's got a gorgeous interface and the keyboard is magnificent compared to the iPhone. Video on it is stunning! And iBooks aI can tell are going to be unbelievable!

But... there's always a but, isn't there?

It's real early in it's life. Here's the issues I've found.

Typing on it lags. It's pretty easy to get ahead of the keyboard. I would imagine that this will be addressed in an update sometime.

The initial sync with iTunes takes forever. Of course, that's a function of how much stuff you've got. I've got a bunch.

Data entry can be a problem. Some of these post I've made with it here in Secrets have been difficult. Once you've entered enough to fill up the text input area, there doesn't seem to be a way to scroll up and down to edit your post. It can be challenging. Once again, I expect this will be addressed in a future update.

That's all so far. But like I said earlier, I can tell right now that I'm gonna love this thing! :thumbsup:

Oh. One other thing. I'll need to get some kind of plastic overlay for the screen. Much like I've got on my iPhone. The fingerprints on the glossy screen will get to be obnoxious sooner or later.

Tom (:macwave:... go ahead, ask your questions!)

catrancher
03-04-2010, 06:21 PM
oh oh oh I SOOOO Want

Which one did you decide on Tom?

I went the whole hog, Keith. 64 gig. :surrender:

Tom (:macwave:... Carpe Diem!)

josh.p.
03-04-2010, 06:30 PM
To scroll up, do you not just hold down until you get the maginifying glass (not sure if you get this on the iPad) and move it upwards? Thats what I do on my iPhone anyway. :yes:

Deafjeff
03-04-2010, 06:33 PM
truly hope i will be able to owe one at the end of the month!

catrancher
03-04-2010, 06:37 PM
To scroll up, do you not just hold down until you get the maginifying glass (not sure if you get this on the iPad) and move it upwards? Thats what I do on my iPhone anyway. :yes:

You do, Josh. It's just a bit difficult to get it to move correctly. It will probably get better with the subsequent software updates! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... it's still really cool!)

Deafjeff
03-04-2010, 06:41 PM
Are you getting the iworks or ilife (whichever does the keynote) package?

catrancher
03-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Couple of other things to know. The remake of some of the apps for the iPad are truly spectacular. The new Mail app is beyond belief! This may be the best mail app I've ever used.

One more issue that I've discovered however. The iBook books use the ePub format. So, if you've got ebooks you want to use, as long as they're ePub, no problem. Maybe...
Turns out that the ePub books on the iPad use Apple's DRM. Many of the books elsewhere use the Adobe DRM. Which doesn't work on the iPad. There goes the "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy"! :mad:

Tom (:macwave:... curses!)

catrancher
03-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Are you getting the iworks or ilife (whichever does the keynote) package?

Not sure yet, Jeff. I've got it on my Mac and I'm not sure if I'll need it on my iPad or not yet. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... time will tell!)

Deafjeff
03-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Couple of other things to know. The remake of some of the apps for the iPad are truly spectacular. The new Mail app is beyond belief! This may be the best mail app I've ever used.

One more issue that I've discovered however. The iBook books use the ePub format. So, if you've got ebooks you want to use, as long as they're ePub, no problem. Maybe...
Turns out that the ePub books on the iPad use Apple's DRM. Many of the books elsewhere use the Adobe DRM. Which doesn't work on the iPad. There goes the "The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy"! :mad:

Tom (:macwave:... curses!)

What kind of books they have in ibooks? I just had my itunes updated in time for ipad but could not find anything related to ibooks.

Anything with Saga of seven suns?

Deafjeff
03-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Is this true? :unsure::nono:

Apple says iBook Store available in US only | theBookseller.com (http://www.thebookseller.com/news/111019-apple-says-ibook-store-available-in-us-only-.html)

catrancher
03-04-2010, 08:52 PM
What kind of books they have in ibooks? I just had my itunes updated in time for ipad but could not find anything related to ibooks.

Anything with Saga of seven suns?

Yes. Several of those are there and there's a Kevin J. Anderson author page that lists 23 of his books available in the iBook store. :thumbsup:

Is this true? :unsure::nono:

Apple says iBook Store available in US only | theBookseller.com (http://www.thebookseller.com/news/111019-apple-says-ibook-store-available-in-us-only-.html)

Probably. At least initially. I'm sure it will be very similar to the iTunes stores when they first came into being. First in the US, then later to the rest of the world. I feel pretty safe in saying that I'm sure Apple will get with the publishers and get any differences worked out. There's far too big a revenue stream available with this thing to keep it from moving forward for too long. :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... it's charging. I ran it to death. But it only had a partial charge to begin with!)

Deafjeff
03-04-2010, 08:56 PM
Fab re Anderson but grrr re ibook in the UK...

If the ipad is in the UK at the end of this month, how long would the Ibook be ready I wonder.....

catrancher
03-04-2010, 08:59 PM
Fab re Anderson but grrr re ibook in the UK...

If the ipad is in the UK at the end of this month, how long would the Ibook be ready I wonder.....

I imagine we'll have a better idea of that after the end of the month! :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... it'll get there!)

Deafjeff
03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
not impressed with apple...... having a second thought now :-(

keith
03-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Apple are and always have been VERY US-centric Jeff. A lot of the things they've done over time have been better in the US And rather an after thought in the UK. It does sting I admit.

However, Tom's totally right. The ibook store will come to the UK as soon as they possibly can. The money will be irresistable to them. We still have to find out the ipad prices over here yet! As well as 3g data plans and so on.

So Tom!!!! any updates? for say reading/posting on here, answering email, is it pretty amazing?

Deafjeff
03-04-2010, 09:40 PM
Apple are and always have been VERY US-centric Jeff. A lot of the things they've done over time have been better in the US And rather an after thought in the UK. It does sting I admit.

However, Tom's totally right. The ibook store will come to the UK as soon as they possibly can. The money will be irresistable to them. We still have to find out the ipad prices over here yet! As well as 3g data plans and so on.

So Tom!!!! any updates? for say reading/posting on here, answering email, is it pretty amazing?

Maybe I am a bit naive here but always assumed that the ibook option would be ready at the time of purchase. I am gutted as that was one of the reason for the purchase...

Now I am not sure if I should wait until they roll out the ibook or buy it anyway ho hum....

keith
03-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Maybe I am a bit naive here but always assumed that the ibook option would be ready at the time of purchase. I am gutted as that was one of the reason for the purchase...

Now I am not sure if I should wait until they roll out the ibook or buy it anyway ho hum....

Well it still could be out on day of launch given the day of launch isn't till the end of this month at best. My guess is they'll try hard but not get it there quite in time but they'll have it next month (june latest)

To be honest though, if you're REALLY after it for the book capability it would make sense to wait until the book store comes out

catrancher
03-04-2010, 09:57 PM

I'm back on my Mac at the moment. My iPad's resting. They only come partially charged and I exhausted the poor thing. :thud:

Is it amazing? Absolutely! :thumbsup:

Takes a bit of getting used to (but not much). The keyboard layout is a little different from the iPhone. Not bad. Just a little different. However, I've found that I can type very quickly on it. The only issue is as I mentioned before, that it lags somewhat. In technospeak, it feels like you fill the buffer and then it's got to pause for a moment while it drains it. Of course, you're still typing but nothing's showing. I'm sure it's something that will get resolved post haste! :yes:

The apps for it however are beyond belief. I mentioned the mail app earlier and I still stand by what I said. The one I didn't mention however, it the Photo app. I still can't believe how good this is! :mental:

Open your photos in the Photo app (it's just called Photos, BTW) and there are all your photos. Now, what's cool is to touch the "faces" or "location" tab at the top of the page. For instance with "Faces", there's each of the people you've identified with a pile of photos over the name. A quick open pinch flick expands the pile into individual photos aligned neatly across your screen. A quick pinch flick back in turns them back into one of the piles. The whole thing reminds me of watching some of the current TV shows where the detectives, CSI's, etc. have a big, transparent computer screen that you can see thru. They then "throw" pictures, files, whatever around on the screen. It's that same kind of concept and feeling. Just on a real device instead of a TV studio set.

The iPhone applications look a little strange in that they display their original phone type screen in the middle of all that glass. There is an X2 button for them that blows their display up to 2 times it's normal size. They run, and run fine. They just look a little strange. I'm sure that won't last too long as developers upgrade their apps for the iPad.

All in all, I'm very pleased with it and impressed with the applications. Especially the ones that Apple has provided that are specially for the iPad. These are absolutely unbelievable! :worship:

With these kind of apps working the way they do, it wouldn't take much for me to believe that we're on the cusp of a new computing pardigm (I do so hate that word!).

That's enough of my techno babble! :slap:
I'm done now. :goingtobed:

Tom (:macwave:... early adopter #1)

keith
03-04-2010, 09:59 PM
Superb review Tom! :yes:

How much space are you using on it? I'm wrestling with which version to buy when it's eventually out :D

catrancher
03-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Superb review Tom! :yes:

How much space are you using on it? I'm wrestling with which version to buy when it's eventually out :D

I wrestled too! The big one won! :D

I'm glad it did! :thumbsup:

Of 59.2 Gig available, I've used 28.3 Gig. Got 30.9 Gig available.

I have 1217 songs, 99 videos (several Disney and Pixar cartoons, 2 full length movies; Up and WallE, all the Fawlty Towers episodes and numerous video podcasts, and iTunes U videos), 3296 photos, and 21 applications.

So, still plenty of room for growth. But I'd much rather have room to grow in rather than wishing I'd gotten the larger one. Had I gotten the 16 Gig, I would've had to decide what NOT to put on it. If I'd gotten the 32 Gig one, I'd be almost full right now. Nope. Glad I got the 64 Gig one! :thumbsup:

BTW - watching the videos on it is totally immersive. You ever been totally immersed in Fawlty Towers? It's an experience not to be missed!

'Scuse me... gotta go. I believe Manuel has set fire to the kitchen!

Tom (:macwave:... yes Sybil dear... you miserable ^#%&$)

catrancher
03-04-2010, 10:16 PM
Oh... BTW... just to show you how cool this thing is in non-technical terms.

I came home with it and my loving but technologically challenged DW took one look at it and said "I want one too!".

I just knew that was gonna happen. :unimpressed:

Tom (:macwave:... gotta buy another one soon I guess!)

keith
03-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Wow ok thats very interesting indeed.

Argh though, I could do with the 3G variant if I'm going to be able to buy it as a business expense and use it to support work but a 64GB 3G is gulp :lol:

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 07:26 AM
Thanks for really helpful review, I got iphone so might get 16G.

Am I correct in thinking that the only way to connect the internet is via wifi (apart from 3G models)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 12:02 PM
Am I correct in thinking that the only way to connect the internet is via wifi (apart from 3G models)

Yes, that's correct. At least right now. I'm sure some enterprising developers somewhere will try to come up with something to use Bluetooth tethering to a cell phone but I don't think it's available quite yet. :unsure:

However, whether or not Apple would approve something like that for the app store is quite another matter. :mental:

BTW - I looked last night in the iPad App Store and the Apple iWork suite (Pages, Numbers, and Keynote) are all available there for $9.99 each. I may get them and post a review here. If they're as good as the included apps on the iPad, they're going to be spectacular!

Tom (:macwave:... there's an app for that!)

josh.p.
04-04-2010, 12:10 PM
From what I've seen, iWork for the iPad is fantastic :yes:

keith
04-04-2010, 12:12 PM
yep Iwork looks amazing on it

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 12:15 PM
Am I right to say that Itunes (UK) doesnt have any apps for Ipad yet as I tries to browse the store itself just now.

catrancher
04-04-2010, 12:47 PM
Am I right to say that Itunes (UK) doesnt have any apps for Ipad yet as I tries to browse the store itself just now.

Probably not yet, Jeff. You can always change your country in the iTunes store and go browse the US store. :yes:

Don't believe you can buy from any store outside where your user id is registered however. :unsure:

At the bottom of the iTunes store interface, there's a link that says "Change Country". Give it a shot and look around! :eye:

Tom (:macwave:... peeks into UK store!)

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 01:03 PM
Probably not yet, Jeff. You can always change your country in the iTunes store and go browse the US store. :yes:

Don't believe you can buy from any store outside where your user id is registered however. :unsure:

At the bottom of the iTunes store interface, there's a link that says "Change Country". Give it a shot and look around! :eye:

Tom (:macwave:... peeks into UK store!)

Hi, I didnt realised that ibooks is apps itself, I thought it was build in thing that comes with software.... feeling wee bit better now :yes:

Thanks for the tip re iTunes

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 01:06 PM
:mental:

sorry more coherent reply when my brain starts working - that is luverly :yes:

thanks for sharing Tom

catrancher
04-04-2010, 02:20 PM
Ohhh.... you're gonna want one of these Chris! :yes:

Especially with the camera adapter they've got coming for it. Take your pictures, import them to your iPad, and then sync them to your Mac. In the meantime, they're on your iPad and you can use them for slide shows, etc. :thumbsup:

Oh... and this app looks spectacular on the iPad!

Star Walk (http://vitotechnology.com/star-walk.html)

They've enhanced it for the iPad and it's quite stunning!

Tom (:macwave:... tell Lisa "I'm sorry!")

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Ohhh.... you're gonna want one of these Chris! :yes:

Especially with the camera adapter they've got coming for it. Take your pictures, import them to your iPad, and then sync them to your Mac. In the meantime, they're on your iPad and you can use them for slide shows, etc. :thumbsup:

Oh... and this app looks spectacular on the iPad!

Star Walk (http://vitotechnology.com/star-walk.html)

They've enhanced it for the iPad and it's quite stunning!

Tom (:macwave:... tell Lisa "I'm sorry!")

Hi,

How would you export the pictures from the camera to ipad? I got Nikon D3000....

keith
04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
I'm still pondering which one I need though :/ Im HOPING we'll be able to preorder them in the UK soon so I need to decide.

I'm really wondering if it'll be enough for me to take to Disney in May. Now I know for most people the answer would surely be yes but I have to be able to get online to work, some server work, ssh needed, vnc access, vpn

Now I've got all of that working on the iphone and I FEEL the only thing wrong with it is the speed and size of the screen. So I'm on the border of thinking I would actually get away with it!

Would be nice to be able to leave the full laptop at home but it would be horrible to miss it half way through and wish I'd brought it :/

catrancher
04-04-2010, 02:26 PM
How would you export the pictures from the camera to ipad? I got Nikon D3000....

Jeff,

There's an adapter coming from Apple in late April. It's actually two adapters. They both plug into the bottom of the iPad. One of them has a USB port on it. The other is a SD card reader. You just connect your camera and the Photo app on the iPad imports your photos! :thumbsup:

I KNOW I'll be getting one of these for all my photographic trips!

BTW - here's the link to the thing in the US Apple Store (http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A?fnode=MTc0MjU4NjE&mco=MTczNzcxMTM).

Tom (:macwave:... this is just too cool!)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm still pondering which one I need though :/ Im HOPING we'll be able to preorder them in the UK soon so I need to decide.

I'm really wondering if it'll be enough for me to take to Disney in May. Now I know for most people the answer would surely be yes but I have to be able to get online to work, some server work, ssh needed, vnc access, vpn

Now I've got all of that working on the iphone and I FEEL the only thing wrong with it is the speed and size of the screen. So I'm on the border of thinking I would actually get away with it!

Would be nice to be able to leave the full laptop at home but it would be horrible to miss it half way through and wish I'd brought it :/

Keith,

I know what you mean about missing the laptop. :yes:

But... I really think we're going to be able to get there with this thing. VPN is already there with it. For ssh what about something like TouchTerm (http://www.jbrink.net/touchterm/)? I haven't tried it on my iPad but it "looks" like it could be just the ticket!

Tom (:macwave:... what fun!)

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 02:42 PM
Well if if going to use it to backup my photos I'll need a biggie then ;) nice carpe diem mate :D

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 02:43 PM
and hmm would starwalk work without an internet connection :unsure:

catrancher
04-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Indications are yes. I'll let you know. I'm probably gonna buy the thing! :mental:

And oh, by the way. Although they don't show up too well in the online pictures, the default home page image on the thing has a sky that's filled with numerous meteors! :wiggle:

Tom (:macwave:... now I KNOW Lisa's mad at me!)

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 03:01 PM
oooohh I just realised that I could use airport express to gain wifi access for ipad if I am at hotels!!!

Am I right to think along the line?

catrancher
04-04-2010, 03:08 PM
oooohh I just realised that I could use airport express to gain wifi access for ipad if I am at hotels!!!

Yep! :yes:

As long as your room has a wired connection, just plug in an Airport Express and voilà... instant wireless! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... loves handy gadgets!)

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 03:10 PM
That so cool! I am thinking ahead when I go to Disney resort, normally we book our universal studio tickets when we are there... ooohhh so we could take ipad instead of lap top which would save lots of weight mmmhhhh

josh.p.
04-04-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm going to find it *really* hard to hold on for the 2nd generation one. I really want one and I don't even need it. :sigh:

keith
04-04-2010, 03:27 PM

yep this is what I do every time we visit a Disney resort :yes: plug and play!

keith
04-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Well if if going to use it to backup my photos I'll need a biggie then ;) nice carpe diem mate :D

Which one you thinking of Chris? 3g non-3g? and what size? :unsure:

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 03:34 PM
Non 3g. I have the iPhone. For Kenya pics I'd need more than the 16 gb I was planning on. Need to see prices really

keith
04-04-2010, 03:38 PM
Non 3g. I have the iPhone. For Kenya pics I'd need more than the 16 gb I was planning on. Need to see prices really

I'm wondering if the iphone will be enough after the ipad or whether I'll be sitting in the car waiting for someone and thinking hmmm wish I could browse.

16gb yeah definitely 32 at least for the keyna pics

josh.p.
04-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Since I've had my macbook I've completely abandoned my poor little iMac. If I buy the iPad I wonder if the macbook will become the abandoned one? Poor little guy :sigh:

keith
04-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Since I've had my macbook I've completely abandoned my poor little iMac. If I buy the iPad I wonder if the macbook will become the abandoned one? Poor little guy :sigh:

I think it depends what you use it for :yes: you can do everything on a macbook that you can do on an imac, perhaps less screen estate but everything.

At the moment at least, the ipad only has 512M ram which would limit serious image editing for example even if the CPU could cope.

At the moment it's harder to be web browsing in one window whilst chatting on IM in another since it's kinda "one app at a time" mainly on the ipad/iphone (though it looks like expose on iphone/ipad os4 may fix that!)

I do think it's the future though :yes:

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 04:07 PM
yep this is what I do every time we visit a Disney resort :yes: plug and play!

Wish i knew about the airport thingy!

I am now seriously considering buying ipad :yes:

ho hum........

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Keith,

I know what you mean about missing the laptop. :yes:

But... I really think we're going to be able to get there with this thing. VPN is already there with it. For ssh what about something like TouchTerm (http://www.jbrink.net/touchterm/)? I haven't tried it on my iPad but it "looks" like it could be just the ticket!

Tom (:macwave:... what fun!)

I think you should earn commission from Apple for all the reviews and tips you have given to us!!!

catrancher
04-04-2010, 05:04 PM
I think you should earn commission from Apple for all the reviews and tips you have given to us!!!

Thanks Jeff! :thumbsup:

Glad you've found them useful!

Tom (:macwave:... back to testing apps!)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 05:17 PM

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!

:mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental: :mental:

This app's unbelievable! Hold the iPad up vertically and it shows you the direction you're facing and the night sky in that direction! As you move around the horizon, the display pans as if it were a moving window on the night sky! Move the iPad up till you're holding over your head and there's the sky above you!

Absolutely stunning graphics and beautiful ethereal music in the background. Kinda reminds me of riding on the Spaceship Earth ride.

Just stunning!

Tom (:macwave:... off to star gaze!)

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 05:20 PM
Does it work without net communication ?

catrancher
04-04-2010, 05:23 PM
Does it work without net communication ?

Yep! :thumbsup:

You've just got to manually specify your location. :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... like holding a complete planetarium in your hands!)

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 05:36 PM

well thats it i'll need this for Kenya then its a must - as a backup and to help me around totally new skies :mental:

Thanks for all this Tom - did they say how long it would be before the accessories would be out like the camera doohickey ?

Oh and 10 of your earth pounds says Josh cracks and gets a V1 :D - who needs a camera anyway - seriously ;)

Claire
04-04-2010, 05:37 PM

A lot of the apps I have on my iphone have recently had updates to make them iPad compatible so I'm assuming most apps will work on both. That would be good!

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I want one

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 05:43 PM
me too! Like the idea of sky walk as I want to learn more about stars and planets as I have telescope that I only used once!

catrancher
04-04-2010, 05:46 PM

well thats it i'll need this for Kenya then its a must - as a backup and to help me around totally new skies :mental:

Thanks for all this Tom - did they say how long it would be before the accessories would be out like the camera doohickey ?

Oh and 10 of your earth pounds says Josh cracks and gets a V1 :D - who needs a camera anyway - seriously ;)

The camera connector kit is supposed to be available at the end of April. :thumbsup:

And no bet about Josh. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... iPads Anonymous charter member.)

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 05:48 PM
The UK Apple store now says ' late April' not sure how long its said that - still no prices - which I do really find weird as SJ had it as part of his keynote - I am assuming the $ cost will be pretty much what the £ cost will be

catrancher
04-04-2010, 05:50 PM
A lot of the apps I have on my iphone have recently had updates to make them iPad compatible so I'm assuming most apps will work on both. That would be good!

All my iPhone apps work Claire. They just look a little strange with an iPhone type window in the middle of the iPad screen!

Tom (:macwave:... early adopter first class!)

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
hmm the ones I'v bought for my IPhone will I have to buy again or can I upload them again when I get the iPad - which I will :D

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 05:56 PM
The UK Apple store now says ' late April' not sure how long its said that - still no prices - which I do really find weird as SJ had it as part of his keynote - I am assuming the $ cost will be pretty much what the £ cost will be

Hi,

It been saying that for two weeks or so... hopefully after easter break, we would be able to see some info.

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 05:58 PM

Other way round for me - since I bought the iMac - which is the best computer I have ever owned in every single way the macbook only gets a look in for portable stuff which is fine as it was bought for that :yes:

The iMacs are just epic at the moment

keith
04-04-2010, 06:00 PM

They suggested that it would be a worldwide simultaneous launch but then around early March it became obvious that the ipad would be getting a US initial launch with a preorder setup around march 12. At that time, they changed the UK website to exactly what it is now saying End of April. They also said we wouldn't find out the prices until April.

Sooooo I'm expecting the prices any day now and I'm HOPING for a US-like pre order system :yes:

I'm expecting the $499 one to end up being around £450 inc vat (given the $499 is without tax)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 06:02 PM
hmm the ones I'v bought for my IPhone will I have to buy again or can I upload them again when I get the iPad - which I will :D

Same ones, Chris. I've got a number of iPhone apps that are now on my iPad. They just look a little strange since the display is so different. I'm sure the developers will be upDating their code to look right on both devices.

At least if they've got half a brain they will! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... I trust them.)

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 06:03 PM
They suggested that it would be a worldwide simultaneous launch but then around early March it became obvious that the ipad would be getting a US initial launch with a preorder setup around march 12. At that time, they changed the UK website to exactly what it is now saying End of April. They also said we wouldn't find out the prices until April.

Sooooo I'm expecting the prices any day now and I'm HOPING for a US-like pre order system :yes:

I'm expecting the $499 one to end up being around £450 inc vat (given the $499 is without tax)

In that case, would it be better buying it at USA price wise? or would that cause problem with UK sync etc?

keith
04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
In that case, would it be better buying it at USA price wise? or would that cause problem with UK sync etc?

*usually* Apple pricing US v UK pricing is just out of sync enough to make you wish you lived in the states whilst not being different enough to justify the little niggles like power supply and so on (not that thats a problem with ipad)

I'm off to Orlando in Mid May and at 1.5x $ to the pound, it's still hard not to think that the $499 one with tax would probably work out around £350 and since I'll be there anyway :/

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 06:14 PM
:laugh: yeah like you'll wait for mid May; seriously ROFL :D step right up and place your bets- I bet you are currently in a sleeping bag at the Trafford centre writing this on your iPhone :D

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 06:15 PM
*usually* Apple pricing US v UK pricing is just out of sync enough to make you wish you lived in the states whilst not being different enough to justify the little niggles like power supply and so on (not that thats a problem with ipad)

I'm off to Orlando in Mid May and at 1.5x $ to the pound, it's still hard not to think that the $499 one with tax would probably work out around £350 and since I'll be there anyway :/

You getting yours in May or getting it here in the UK if the price is around £450 mark

keith
04-04-2010, 06:19 PM
You getting yours in May or getting it here in the UK if the price is around £450 mark

As Mr. Skywatcher, who knows me all too well, accurately says above :laugh: there's no chance I'll be able to wait until mid may knowing that I could camp out at the trafford centre to get one :) I'd have trouble waiting even if there was £100 difference :unsure: (though if it IS £100 I may try... but he's right, I'll fail)

My best chance would be if the UK release was delayed until closer to when I leave :yes:

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 06:21 PM
I wont be going to Orlando until Sept ho hum....... also if I do buy it over there would not be able to sync/register until I get back home so unlikely will wait until Sept (my hubby doesnt know this!)

keith
04-04-2010, 06:23 PM
I wont be going to Orlando until Sept ho hum....... also if I do buy it over there would not be able to sync/register until I get back home so unlikely will wait until Sept (my hubby doesnt know this!)

I don't think the syncing etc. would be a problem, at least I can't see why it would be so that won't put me off.

Wonder if Disney Magical Express would drop me at the Florida mall on the way to the resort :lol:

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 06:24 PM
:lol: He simply couldn't stand all us doing 'unboxing videos ' ;)

Jeff unless you are going anyway there is no point for an item of that pricepoint if you bought from eBay or from the US you would cop for a sizeable import duty.

I have to get one the recharger from my IPhone is held together with tape ;)

..... thats not really going to cut it is it :D

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 06:26 PM
I don't think the syncing etc. would be a problem, at least I can't see why it would be so that won't put me off.

Wonder if Disney Magical Express would drop me at the Florida mall on the way to the resort :lol:

oh of course, just need internet access in order to activate the ipad or whatever... mmhh

keith
04-04-2010, 06:28 PM
oh of course, just need internet access in order to activate the ipad or whatever... mmhh

Well I always get the in room broadband and with airport express as you mentioned before, voila :D

(seriously the airport express is the best travel gadget I've bought in a long time! Just plug it into the power socket, plug the broadband cable into it and voila! The room becomes wifi enabled)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 06:38 PM
One thing to think about here folks.

I've checked on mine and I can't find anyplace to specify which iTunes store to connect to. The Settings app on the iPad has an option to configure which account you're going to use to buy apps, music, etc. but I haven't found anywhere to specify which iTunes store you want to use. Perhaps it's location based but right now, I don't know. All this "may" have some impact on where you'd buy versus where you'd use.

Just something to think about and be aware of.

Tom (:macwave:... still looking...)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 06:41 PM
:laugh: yeah like you'll wait for mid May; seriously ROFL :D step right up and place your bets- I bet you are currently in a sleeping bag at the Trafford centre writing this on your iPhone :D

:ROFL: http://homepage.mac.com/twgower/.pictures/smilies/lmaof.gif

Boy Keith, does Chris know you well or what!

Tom (:macwave:... been there, done that... well, over here at least!)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 06:45 PM
I've checked on mine and I can't find anyplace to specify which iTunes store to connect to.

Never mind. Discovered it's tied to your Apple ID that you used to register at whatever particular Apple iTunes store your account is at.

Tom (:macwave:... doh! Homer strikes again! :homer:)

keith
04-04-2010, 06:47 PM
:ROFL: http://idisk.mac.com/twgower/Public/smilies/lmaof.gif

Boy Keith, does Chris know you well or what!

yep :lol: I'm painfully transparent :yes:

On the location thing, I suspect it'll be keyed from wherever your home store is for your apple store login. I'll have to try it here but I THINK even if I try to login to the US apple store with my ID, I get the UK one by default

(of course most of us would rather have the US one since they have all the new US stuff first but unless we use a US registered card, it doesnt work)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Ok, my ever so British friends... anybody ever given this some thought?

Bundle Box (http://www.bundlebox.com/)

I accidentally ran across it and figured you might be interested.
Just a thought for those of you who just can't wait till it comes out over there (like Keith)? :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... trying to look out for you!)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Just checked the Bundle Box web site and the 46 most recent shipments to the UK are all various iPads!

Someone beat you guys to it! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... go, you early adopters!)

keith
04-04-2010, 07:00 PM
ARGHGHGGHGH :lol: and to be honest, given the $-£ conversion, even paying the duty and VAT it's still not a bad deal.

eg. Apple 32 GB IPad
cost US$599.00
shipping:£23.20
duty: £0.00 (hmmm! added later I wonder?)
VAT: £74.35
total: £503.44

Well I just can't see a 32GB ipad being over here for less than that

catrancher
04-04-2010, 07:05 PM
ARGHGHGGHGH :lol: and to be honest, given the $-£ conversion, even paying the duty and VAT it's still not a bad deal.

eg. Apple 32 GB IPad
cost US$599.00
shipping:£23.20
duty: £0.00 (hmmm! added later I wonder?)
VAT: £74.35
total: £503.44

Well I just can't see a 32GB ipad being over here for less than that

Here's (http://www.gaj-it.com/16363/ipad-uk-launch-date-april-2010-but-how-can-you-buy-the-ipad-earlier-in-the-uk/) where I found that out Keith.

According to that web site...

So where’s the loop hole? Well, because the iPad counts as an ‘automatic data processing machine’, under custom rules it is import free so you are only paying for shipping and VAT, which means for a WiFi only 16GB iPad it could cost you £465.20.

Not that I understand your tax structure but according to them it sounds like it would be import duty free! If that's true, I would count that as a good thing! Wouldn't you? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:...automatic data processing machine indeed! Such archaic terms!)

keith
04-04-2010, 07:09 PM
Not that I understand your tax structure but according to them it sounds like it would be import duty free!

No one does Tom. It seems to depend how they feel at the time of processing.

However I know some cameras are still duty free so I guess perhaps someone's decided the ipad is the same.

Yep, I must admit, it looks like a decent deal. Of course Apple online has run out of its first batch so it'd be a while before they could get any and I still have the 3G v non-3g to consider :cry2:

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
I just know if I went through that setup I'd end up getting stung for duty and have to wait longer and then there would be a fault and I'd have to pay a fortune to send it back

:macwave: born pessimist

catrancher
04-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Yep, I must admit, it looks like a decent deal. Of course Apple online has run out of its first batch so it'd be a while before they could get any and I still have the 3G v non-3g to consider :cry2:

They're currently quoting "ships by April 12th". Anything I've ever ordered from them that was back ordered like this always has shipped exactly when they said it would.

3G versus non-3G. I don't know. The way I figure it is that with Wi-Fi being so prolific and getting more so, and the fact that I've got my iPhone should I need anything when Wi-Fi's not around, I just don't see it as being a requirement for my iPad. But that's just me. Your mileage may vary. :anxious:

Tom (:macwave:... still gets you in ahead of the game!)

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 07:17 PM
I am smiling with thought of the new members reading this thread and trying to see a connection to disney (even thought it is clear that we all can talk about whatever!)

It would be great if disney does some apps that can be downloaded and we can get fastpass on the day and do ADR while we at the park.... mmhh or even order foods and drinks!

Ooohhh we could even download the ride photos!!!!!!!

Skywatcher
Cant justify spending what I suspect will be in excess on £20 a month for a service I won't use over and above my iPhone - 3G is not great in this neck of the woods at the moment

catrancher
I just know if I went through that setup I'd end up getting stung for duty and have to wait longer and then there would be a fault and I'd have to pay a fortune to send it back

:macwave: born pessimist

So... tell me. Will the sun come up tomorrow or should I just call it all a bad job and be done with it? :ROFL:

Just testing your mettle!

Tom (:macwave:... Who? Me? Nah!)

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 07:18 PM
I am smiling with thought of the new members reading this thread and trying to see a connection to disney (even thought it is clear that we all can talk about whatever!)

It would be great if disney does some apps that can be downloaded and we can get fastpass on the day and do ADR while we at the park.... mmhh or even order foods and drinks!

Ooohhh we could even download the ride photos!!!!!!!

Ah but Jeff this is not just a site about Disney parks it's a site for Disney people who are a very special and rare breed of enlightened individuals :D

keith
04-04-2010, 07:19 PM
yep all good points :yes:

I keep going back and forth on it. The most likely places of use would be home (wifi), work (wifi), datacentre (wifi), hotel room (wifi).

...but part of me says ok you throw the ipad in the car, drive off somewhere and need to just browse around or get to a server. Then I think yeah but won't that be just so rare as not to justify the additional cost. ARHGHGHG

Deafjeff
04-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Ah but Jeff this is not just a site about Disney parks it's a site for Disney people who are a very special and rare breed of enlightened individuals :D

What a lovely way to describe people here :-)

josh.p.
04-04-2010, 07:22 PM
Other way round for me - since I bought the iMac - which is the best computer I have ever owned in every single way the macbook only gets a look in for portable stuff which is fine as it was bought for that :yes:

The iMacs are just epic at the moment
See.. my iMac is currently in Niamh's playroom (until I bother my butt to move the tort's hibernation fridge out of my room to make space again) so my macbook is really handy just for sitting on the couch or on my bed to do colllege work/browse the net etc.

One thing to think about here folks.

I've checked on mine and I can't find anyplace to specify which iTunes store to connect to. The Settings app on the iPad has an option to configure which account you're going to use to buy apps, music, etc. but I haven't found anywhere to specify which iTunes store you want to use. Perhaps it's location based but right now, I don't know. All this "may" have some impact on where you'd buy versus where you'd use.

Just something to think about and be aware of.

Tom (:macwave:... still looking...)
Funny you should mention that. We went to a restaurant next door to macdonalds in Hong Kong and I got onto their free wifi. I tried to buy a HK game (just to test) and it was only until I'd put my password into iTunes that it realised I was a UK person and defaulted back to my UK app store :yes: I'm assuming it'd be the same for the iTunes store...

catrancher
04-04-2010, 07:22 PM
enlightened individuals :D

That's not what my DW says... :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... yes dear!)

catrancher
04-04-2010, 07:30 PM
Funny you should mention that. We went to a restaurant next door to macdonalds in Hong Kong and I got onto their free wifi. I tried to buy a HK game (just to test) and it was only until I'd put my password into iTunes that it realised I was a UK person and defaulted back to my UK app store :yes: I'm assuming it'd be the same for the iTunes store...

Yep. I'm sure that's the way it would work Josh. Figured that one out myself after I posted earlier and realized that I sounded like an idiot. Like I said, Homer strikes again! :homer:

Tom (:macwave:... suitably chagrined! :embarassed2:)

mainecoon lover
04-04-2010, 08:34 PM
Oh so jealous, i want one. Why are we always last in the UK. Its very nice :D

Britchick
04-04-2010, 09:01 PM
That's exactly my dilemma Keith!

keith
04-04-2010, 09:04 PM
This is my biggest complaint, they SO should have made it able to use the iphone for a data connection! We've paid for the phone, we've paid for the data contract already, so it really grates not only to have to pay more the a 3g ipad but then have to pay for yet another data contract grrrrrrrr

The more I think about it, the more I think wifi only :/

Skywatcher
04-04-2010, 10:12 PM
Exactly where I'm at. Did anyone else get the April fools from IWOOT? Where you could plug an iPhone into a touch screen to turn it into a pad :lol:

I'm excited about this. It feels like the future.

Still .......

... And I know what the apple boys will say to this. It would be perfect with flash support.

At the endof the day it's all about $$$$ my iMac and MacBook support flash it's all about the app store.

keith
04-04-2010, 10:24 PM
... And I know what the apple boys will say to this. It would be perfect with flash support.

At the endof the day it's all about $$$$ my iMac and MacBook support flash it's all about the app store.

I wish I could disagree with that but the facts are the facts :( It would be an even more useful device out the gate if it supported flash.

However, flash really is the past, html5 and standards based rendering are the future. So although I don't agree with why they've left the support out, I don't think medium term it'll be an issue. (a lot of people are rushing to get non-flash versions of their sites out so it's more of a problem for adobe than apple).

Mind you I have a whole history of disagreeing with Apple on this kind of stuff. I got my floppy disk ready to transfer my essential apps across.... and sat there like a prat looking for where to slot it into the gleaming new mac that was the first one to lack a floooopy drive because it was "obsolete"... Well no it aint obsolete just because Mr Jobs says so!

Lets not even talk about how many different types of cable I've got all doing the same thing because the last generation used full sized firewire, oops now it uses mini-firewire, oops next one uses full size fw800, eeeek now it's mini fw800, then displayport, minidisplay port ARGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHG

keith
04-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Hmmm another thing though.

They seem to suggest that the 3G version has "proper" assisted GPS like the iphone 3gs whereas wifi doesnt.

I'm pondering if that's significant. After all I have a proper nav system in the car, an iphone 3gs for portability but I suspect that location aware services will become more and more "the norm".

catrancher
04-04-2010, 11:04 PM
All I can tell you about location services is that everything that uses it that I've tried so far has been spot on.

How well it would work from other locations I don't know. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... where am I?)

keith
04-04-2010, 11:05 PM
All I can tell you about location services is that everything that uses it that I've tried so far has been spot on.

How well it would work from other locations I don't know. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... where am I?)

That's good to know Tom :yes:

So now you've had a weekend's playing, are you still impressed?

josh.p.
04-04-2010, 11:28 PM
The thing with apple being so 'cutting edge' in everything that they include, they're also cutting edge in the stuff that they leave out :yes: They are ahead of the rest of the world that they stop including stuff that is going to be out of date in the foreseeable future.

catrancher
04-04-2010, 11:35 PM
So now you've had a weekend's playing, are you still impressed?

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

My only complaint so far is not being able to get a copy of the Hitchiker's Guide for it! :nono:

Tom (:macwave:... still suitably impressed!)

keith
04-04-2010, 11:56 PM
does this one not work? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the/id326887350?mt=8

catrancher
05-04-2010, 12:02 AM
does this one not work? The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy Ebook for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store (http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-hitchhikers-guide-to-the/id326887350?mt=8)

Close, but no cigar. :thumbsdown:

That one's not an ePub from the iBook store. I suppose it will do until the real one comes along!

Thanks for checking anyway! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... spoiled for iBooks!)

keith
05-04-2010, 12:05 AM
Close, but no cigar. :thumbsdown:

That one's not An ePub from the iBook store. I suppose it will do until the real one comes along!

Thanks for checking anyway! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... spoiled for iBooks!)

so I guess that's just a book in an app ? may look a bit weird on the ipad and I suppose quite a bit worse than the native book reader.

catrancher
05-04-2010, 12:10 AM
so I guess that's just a book in an app ? may look a bit weird on the ipad and I suppose quite a bit worse than the native book reader.

Yep. And yep! :yes:

Tom (:macwave:... spoiled I tell you!)

Britchick
05-04-2010, 08:38 AM
The flash thing is a sticker for me too, I know it's sad but I like the facebook games that use flash. If I'm having to fire up the laptop to do other things what's the point?

Deafjeff
05-04-2010, 02:20 PM
mmmhhh

BBC News - Apple iPad sells 300,000 on debut (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8603599.stm)

Deafjeff
06-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Hi,

Would it be possible to edit microsoft docs on ipad via pages?

lisaw
06-04-2010, 10:18 AM
The flash thing is a sticker for me too, I know it's sad but I like the facebook games that use flash. If I'm having to fire up the laptop to do other things what's the point?

That was my main concern as well :lol: - I REALLY need to get out more! :rolleyes:

catrancher
06-04-2010, 10:50 AM
Hi,

Would it be possible to edit microsoft docs on ipad via pages?

Both .doc and .docx (2003 and 2007 versions) work fine. Just tried with both of them this morning.

Tom (:macwave:... I'm compatible!)

Deafjeff
06-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Both .doc and .docx (2003 and 2007 versions) work fine. Just tried with both of them this morning.

Tom (:macwave:... I'm compatible!)

ooooh what the iworks apps like?

catrancher
06-04-2010, 10:56 AM
ooooh what the iworks apps like?

They're all amazing! :mental:

Here. Take a peek at the guided tours for yourself:

Pages (http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/includes/pages.html#pages)
Numbers (http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/includes/numbers.html#numbers)
Keynote (http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/includes/keynote.html#keynote)

Tom (:macwave:... this is totally cool!)

Deafjeff
06-04-2010, 11:05 AM
They're all amazing! :mental:

Here. Take a peek at the guided tours for yourself:

Pages (http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/includes/pages.html#pages)
Numbers (http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/includes/numbers.html#numbers)
Keynote (http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/includes/keynote.html#keynote)

Tom (:macwave:... this is totally cool!)

:jawdrop: :worship:

Deafjeff
06-04-2010, 11:19 AM
I think I am more than happy with what I have seen! only thing left is the ibooks....

Skywatcher
06-04-2010, 01:21 PM
The only other tiny problem I have is not being able to watch movies as well - people on my astro site upload movies they have recorded of the sun and planets and one of the shuttle taking off over Florida the other night but as its in the usual .avi or .mpeg it can't be watched which is a pain - I understand Flash as it will mean someone else being able to make apps but surely a web- based movie player is not without the realm of possibility or will this all be in html5 as well?

keith
06-04-2010, 01:44 PM
Tom will know more than I since he has an iPad and I don't :cry2:

but I think the problem is that .avi is not a format exactly, it's a container for video and that video can be encoded in different ways. Some of which the iphone/ipad wont be able to understand/play. I think the iphones and I guess ipad play .mp4 .m4v etc. all mpeg4 formats

This thing gets a good write up for the iphone for converting videos but there are plenty more around
About Air Video (http://www.inmethod.com/air-video/index.html)

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 02:02 PM

OMG a gadget keith dont have, what is the world coming to :lol:

keith
06-04-2010, 02:39 PM
OMG a gadget keith dont have, what is the world coming to :lol:

:cry2:

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
:cry2:

there there keith :hug2::hug2: :lol:

catrancher
06-04-2010, 02:47 PM

Yes, I have an iPad. :yes:

But no, I won't know more. :unsure:

Haven't had a play with many videos other than what I've got currently for podcasts, movies, etc. Give me a link to some web videos that you want me to try and we'll give it a shot and see what happens!

Tom (:macwave:... I'll try anything six or eight times!)

catrancher
06-04-2010, 04:33 PM
The only other tiny problem I have is not being able to watch movies as well - people on my astro site upload movies they have recorded of the sun and planets and one of the shuttle taking off over Florida the other night but as its in the usual .avi or .mpeg it can't be watched which is a pain - I understand Flash as it will mean someone else being able to make apps but surely a web- based movie player is not without the realm of possibility or will this all be in html5 as well?

Chris,

Give me a link to some of these videos and I'll see if they'll play. I checked a couple of random .mpeg's today and they seemed to work fine. The .avi's... all depends.

Tom (:macwave:... still testing!)

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 06:44 AM
Tom , still looking for you not ignoring you :yes:, the videos section on my astro forum is only open to members so you need a login for that - looking elsewhere - they do have them from time to time on spaceweather.com, they had a great one of the ISS and the shuttle passing overhead but it wouldn't work on the iPhone butI cannopt for the life of me remember the date :mad:

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 06:46 AM
I also susbscribe to an embedded media player to listen to live Football commentary and whilst this works on the iMac and Macbook pro it wont work on the iPhone :mad: - that one is Saints TV at Southampton FC | Saints FC Scores, News, Transfers, Fixtures (http://www.saintsfc.co.uk) - not sure if there is some sort of preview avaliable for that to check as I'm at work now

MarkE
07-04-2010, 09:29 AM
This may not be the best place for it, but if your local radio station (ie in Birmingham we have BRMB, BBC WM and Capital Gold) cover football matches, consider TuneIn radio at £1.19 on the iphone. You can pick up thousands of stations, and browse the web at the same time!

I've just read this whole thread. I want an iPad. I HATE being broke!!

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 09:33 AM
I'll see if it works but Southampton local radio cuts out on the web for the matches and you just get easy listening for 90 minutes thats why you haveto use the dedicated club player

( sorry off topic)

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Seen som e articles that say won't know pricing until launch :unsure: not sure how we can preorder then only just over 2 weeks until the alleged date

catrancher
07-04-2010, 11:14 AM
Tom , still looking for you not ignoring you :yes:, the videos section on my astro forum is only open to members so you need a login for that - looking elsewhere - they do have them from time to time on spaceweather.com, they had a great one of the ISS and the shuttle passing overhead but it wouldn't work on the iPhone butI cannopt for the life of me remember the date :mad:

No worries, Chris! Just let me know when and if you find it and I'll give it a go. :yes:

I also susbscribe to an embedded media player to listen to live Football commentary and whilst this works on the iMac and Macbook pro it wont work on the iPhone - that one is Saints TV at Southampton FC | Saints FC Scores, News, Transfers, Fixtures - not sure if there is some sort of preview avaliable for that to check as I'm at work now

I did get to check this one. At least at the "front page" level. The video they presented there used the Adobe Flash player. Sorry! No joy on that one. :sigh:

I've just read this whole thread. I want an iPad. I HATE being broke!!

Yes! Yes, you do. On both counts! :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... still checking!)

josh.p.
07-04-2010, 12:04 PM
The whole no UK pricing thing is really bugging me at the minute!

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 12:53 PM
I genuinely don't understand it they must know the cost and the approximate exchange rate - I will not be happy if they simply change the $ to a £

keith
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
I genuinely don't understand it they must know the cost and the approximate exchange rate - I will not be happy if they simply change the $ to a £

agreed big time :(

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 01:06 PM
If they did I would genuinely not buy one out of principal and I mean that :yes: a lot of tehtech forums are suggesting anything up to £580 ish for the 64gb one but its all speculation.

Maybe they have 2 prices in mind one if it recieves a lukewarm reception and needs a kick in th epants and one for if its the best thing since sliced bread. I hope not but the cynic in me is growing

keith
07-04-2010, 01:30 PM
Well all I can say is that Apple aren't the WORST ones for it. Canon/Nikon have annoyed me far more over the years.

Apple pricing tends to be so close after conversion+VAT that you think ok well it's close enough.

Of course everyones afraid of having too much sterling on their balance sheet at the moment because it just seems to be constantly tumbling sooooo :/

I still dont think it'll be a 1:1 but I AM surprised and annoyed they havent released the pricing yet

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 01:48 PM
The 24th looks to be pretty much nailed on by all accounts - so 16 days out and still no price - if it is the same as the dollar amount maybe we can all club together and buy you some extra luggage space for your upcoming trip Keith :wink:

keith
07-04-2010, 01:53 PM
The 24th looks to be pretty much nailed on by all accounts - so 16 days out and still no price - if it is the same as the dollar amount maybe we can all club together and buy you some extra luggage space for your upcoming trip Keith :wink:

yeah indeed - I've already been pondering that very thought ;)

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 01:58 PM
:D

:macwave: deadly serious

keith
07-04-2010, 02:03 PM
totally! :yes:

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Cool :thumbsup:

catrancher
07-04-2010, 03:21 PM
In the FWIW department. :brightidea:

I just got back from the Apple store a moment ago. After my DW saw my iPad, her comment was "I want one" (told ya)!. So, since today's her birthday, I went and bought her one. Seems that there's now plenty of them in stock.

When you get over here Keith, there should be enough for you to get one for yourself, Chris, and a couple hundred of your closet friends! :laugh2:

Tom (:macwave:... now, where's my commission?)

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 03:40 PM
Are you still happy with it Tom? - where does it fit - are you using when you would have used your iPhone or your laptop or neither or either :unsure:

catrancher
07-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Are you still happy with it Tom? - where does it fit - are you using when you would have used your iPhone or your laptop or neither or either :unsure:

Absolutely! :thumbsup:

I use it all the time in the evenings when I don't have my laptop on. For instance, my laptop resides in my office in our basement. In the evenings, I'm upstairs with my DW (her Mac is up there). Well, maybe I need to check something on the web, or send an email, or any number of other things that happen to just "dawn" on me suddenly. Maybe I saw a reference to a website on TV that I want to check out. Before, I would pop open my iPhone to take a peek but, quite frankly, that wasn't completely satisfying primarily due to the screen size. Now, with the iPad, I just pop it open. It's instantly on, has a big enough screen to be able to navigate, and just "feels" right. So, it's there with me kind of like my right hand man. :yes:

Beyond that, I've started taking it up to bed with me (NO, not that way!). To read (what did you think I meant). The reading experience on it is quite good. I've got a number of technical books on it that I'm reading along with numerous classics (most of which were free). Things like "Peter Pan", "Frankenstein", "The War of the Worlds", "The Time Machine", "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes", "War and Peace". Eclectic taste, I know. But hey. They're classics and they were free. Actually, there's a whole world of classic literature available for free in the ePub format.

So, to answer your question. Yes, I'm still very happy with it. As time goes by, I can see where it will become more and more an extension of my arm. I don't think you could make me give it up now without prying it out of my cold, dead, hands! :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... too wordy?)

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Thanks for that mate :yes:

The only issue I have remaining is that when someone comes in withan eye injury we patch them up with eye pads as a temporary patch :lol:

Dawn
07-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I have a serious question.

Is this like a giant ipod or is there more to it. Is it a cross between and imac and an ipod? Sort of a halfway house? :unsure:

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Its like a giant iTouch but it has a lot more functionality by the sound of it - sort of halfway between an iTouch and a laptop. You can wordprocess on it - email, read books sort your piccies, watch films.

If I ever get one though I will be very tempted to do a Dom Jolley impression with it :lol:

Dawn
07-04-2010, 04:55 PM
It's not a phone though is it? :lol:

And how much are they in this country. Not that I'm getting one, just curious.

Dawn
07-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Although big screen Angry Birds...

catrancher
07-04-2010, 05:07 PM
A halfway house. That's probably a pretty apt description. :thumbsup:

Just like Chris said. It's kinda like a lightweight laptop. The big advantages for me are that it's:

Light. I can haul it along anywhere I go easily.
Instantly on. Like the iPhone, it's always on and ready.
Does probably 80% of the stuff I need to do plus more. Sure, I still need my laptop for heavy lifting (Photoshop edits, development projects, etc.).
On the other hand, the iPad does things well that my laptop can't. Reading books for instance.

Will it replace my laptop, no. Will it replace my iPhone, no. It's neither a phone nor a laptop. But it fills a gap for me that I always knew was there, but didn't have a piece of technology to fix it. Now I have that technology and it's marvelous! :thumbsup:

If you want an overview, here's the link to the Apple videos outlining the capabilites of some of the various applications on it:

iPad guided tour videos (http://www.apple.com/ipad/guided-tours/)

Is it perfect. Nope. There are things that need to be done differently on it. File handling as an example. But those things are controllable via software and I fully expect that as time goes on, those shortcomings will be corrected. Either by Apple or by third party developers.

Tom (:macwave:... I really like this thing!)

catrancher
07-04-2010, 05:08 PM
It's not a phone though is it? :lol:

And how much are they in this country. Not that I'm getting one, just curious.

Nope. Not a phone. And pricing for the UK isn't out yet. Should be soon. The UK release date is supposedly only about two weeks away.

Tom (:macwave:... who now owns two!)

Dawn
07-04-2010, 05:13 PM
I sense it being too expensive for me as just a platform to play bird v pig games though. :lol:

Interesting toy though.

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 07:14 PM
Stephen meets Steve

Apple iPad Launch: Will Steve Jobs' Magic Touch Return? - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1976935-4,00.html)

Skywatcher
07-04-2010, 07:19 PM
Tom - Stephen Fry is one of my all time heroes and was a very close friend of Douglas Adams and is probably Britains foremost Apple advocate :D you will like the last line of the interview

Dawn
08-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Have you seen the You Tube video of Stephen Fry unpacking his ipad? You can actually hear him gasp when he takes it out of the bag. :rotfl:

Skywatcher
08-04-2010, 06:39 AM
can you embed it as my stupid browser at work no longer supports youtube - and no I can't download firefox or anything more sensible or upgrade as the whole system will come crashing down :rolleyes:

Dawn
08-04-2010, 06:50 AM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIic04tXkRw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QIic04tXkRw&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Skywatcher
08-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Oh and liver transplant is never good :unsure: will have to google to find out why he had it

Skywatcher
08-04-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks

Skywatcher
08-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Thanks Dawn :D

OMG he had a whipples proceedure :eek: never known anyone last more than a few months after those and he had his in 2004 then a transplant a few months back.

Apple really do last longer

However..

Skywatcher
08-04-2010, 07:01 AM
OMG I haven't ever seen a Stephen fry youtube before will have to watch more - if possible I lve him even more now :laugh:

catrancher
08-04-2010, 11:26 AM
Stephen meets Steve

Apple iPad Launch: Will Steve Jobs' Magic Touch Return? - TIME (http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1976935-4,00.html)

Thanks for the link Chris! :thumbsup:

Oddly enough, I had already read that article. It was linked off the Apple web site on April 1st. I really did like the guys style of writing. And you're right, the last line of the article was especially good.

And poignant! :crywave:

Tom (:macwave:... I'm having to use IE7 at the moment and I HATE IT!)

Skywatcher
08-04-2010, 11:45 AM
version 6 here :rolleyes:

Stephen has just done the follow up to Douglas and Mark Carwadines 'last chance to see' he revisted the same places Mark and Douglas visited for the book

Excellent series I hope you get to watch it sometime.

Is the typing lag on the iPad still irritating you - noticed it does it on the phone as well as I am a reasonably quick typer

catrancher
08-04-2010, 12:17 PM
Is the typing lag on the iPad still irritating you - noticed it does it on the phone as well as I am a reasonably quick typer

Actually, no. I don't know if I've just become acclimated to it or what, but it doesn't seem to bother me as much as it did. Either I've trained the iPad or it's trained me. Either way, it doesn't seem to be much of an issue anymore. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... whose DW was THRILLED with her birthday present! :D )

Skywatcher
09-04-2010, 02:42 PM
So.... 15days out and still nothing :unsure:

the more I read the more I want one - only flaw seems o be position of speaker but I have noticed thatmy and often covers the speaker on the iPhone.

lots of people very very impressed with all it does and say it will replace their laptops

they also like the screen lock which is a pain sometimes ofn the hone when it keeps reorientating itself

is it possible it will be able to wirelessly connect to the priter I have?

keith
09-04-2010, 02:55 PM
is it possible it will be able to wirelessly connect to the priter I have?

I'm sure I read that they were trying to build wireless printing into the OS4 so it may not work immediately but I suspect it will one day soon

On the pricing, I heard from a friend at apple uk (such as it is) that the US are still very jittery about the exchange rate/election etc. and have been putting off deciding the pricing for as long as possible.

I asked about pre-ordering and he said "who told you there would be preordering in the UK?"

So no idea :/ I still think there will be preordering but perhaps only to ship not to pick up (I hope not, because ideally I want to preorder to pick up at the trafford centre!)

Skywatcher
09-04-2010, 03:25 PM
Well I can't see the ex rate changing significantly in the next 2 weeks - lets hope they don't delay the release.

keith
09-04-2010, 03:29 PM
Well I can't see the ex rate changing significantly in the next 2 weeks - lets hope they don't delay the release.

yeah I did wonder if they'd try and eek it out until after the election but jobs said only yesterday that the international launch was still on track for "near month end"

Britchick
09-04-2010, 07:13 PM
would i be better looking at a wireless keyboard or a docking keyboard? also can you use a mouse with it if you choose?

Tom did you buy the case?

keith
09-04-2010, 07:18 PM
would i be better looking at a wireless keyboard or a docking keyboard? also can you use a mouse with it if you choose?

I personally think a bluetooth keyboard because then you can choose which orientation to work with I THINK the docking keyboard only supports portrait

I Dont think you can use a mouse

I think Tom bought a slipcase? I think maybe

I'll be buying the case though :yes:

Skywatcher
09-04-2010, 07:40 PM
hmm will my uberthin iMac keyboard work with it :unsure:

keith
09-04-2010, 07:42 PM
hmm will my uberthin iMac keyboard work with it :unsure:

I believe so yep (and thats my plan!)

Britchick
09-04-2010, 07:43 PM
I want one now! i'm going to go to the Apple store and protest tomorrow. Interrogate a poor young sales person

lisaw
09-04-2010, 07:46 PM
I want one now! i'm going to go to the Apple store and protest tomorrow. Interrogate a poor young sales person

:unsure: I'll be waiting in the Disney Store!

Britchick
09-04-2010, 07:47 PM
:unsure: I'll be waiting in the Disney Store!

nah, you can hold my starbucks and film it from outside :tongue:

josh.p.
09-04-2010, 10:39 PM
You know Julie.... you have to buy a mac to get a bluetooth keyboard so whilst interogating you may as well bite the bullet and get a macbook :wink: (Worth a shot! haha)

You can't use the mouse but a bluetooth keyboard can be used.

catrancher
09-04-2010, 10:52 PM

I personally think a bluetooth keyboard because then you can choose which orientation to work with I THINK the docking keyboard only supports portrait

I Dont think you can use a mouse

I think Tom bought a slipcase? I think maybe

What Keith said is correct, Brit. Keep in mind however that docking keyboard also charges the iPad. None of the other stands thatI've heard of yet include the charger.

Keith's also right about the mouse. Although I haven't tried pairing my Bluetooth mouse with it, I don't think it will work. :unsure:

As far as a case goes, yes, I bought one. I got this Incase one. (http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/convertible-book-jacket-cl57512) :thumbsup:

It's a fairly nice leather folio that doubles as a stand in landscape mode.

Tom (:macwave:... new accessories by the minute!)

keith
09-04-2010, 11:04 PM
As far as a case goes, yes, I bought one. I got this Incase one. (http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/convertible-book-jacket-cl57512) :thumbsup:

It's a fairly nice leather folio that doubles as a stand in landscape mode.

Tom (:macwave:... new accessories by the minute!)

That looks spot on actually and I do like the Incase stuff :yes:

Britchick
10-04-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks all,

Dawn
10-04-2010, 07:55 AM
Just want to stick my head in here. The imacs we had at school had bluetooth mice with them and they are not child friendly at all. One tiny fall on to the carpeted floor and it was an ex-mouse.

Just something to consider if you plan to let children near your gadgets.

josh.p.
10-04-2010, 11:37 AM
Just want to stick my head in here. The imacs we had at school had bluetooth mice with them and they are not child friendly at all. One tiny fall on to the carpeted floor and it was an ex-mouse.

Just something to consider if you plan to let children near your gadgets.
I'm suprised you know Dawn, where they the new magic mouse or the old mighty mouse?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2590/4061101416_6df457f355.jpg

I've got the magic mouse (the one to your left) and I've lost count of how many times Niamh has thrown/dropped it (once onto tiled floor!!) and it still works fantasticly.

catrancher
10-04-2010, 12:25 PM
I'm suprised you know Dawn, where they the new magic mouse or the old mighty mouse?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2590/4061101416_6df457f355.jpg

I've got the magic mouse (the one to your left) and I've lost count of how many times Niamh has thrown/dropped it (once onto tiled floor!!) and it still works fantasticly.

Ditto for mine Josh. No, not Niamh. Her arms aren't quite that long. Mines simply been because I'm, what's the word? Clumsy. Yep, that's it. I've dropped mine more times than I can count and it's still going strong. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin')

keith
10-04-2010, 12:32 PM
Ditto for mine Josh. No, not Niamh. Her arms aren't quite that long. Mines simply been because I'm, what's the word? Clumsy. Yep, that's it. I've dropped mine more times than I can count and it's still going strong. :thumbsup:

Me too! I've all too frequently knocked it off with my elbow and honestly it's never missed a beat.

Have to wonder if Dawn's school machine just werent setup so well somehow :/

josh.p.
10-04-2010, 12:33 PM
Me too! I've all too frequently knocked it off with my elbow and honestly it's never missed a beat.

Have to wonder if Dawn's school machine just werent setup so well somehow :/
Thats what I wonder. I can't see them just completely going (whether it be the bluetooth chip or another part) off one drop onto a carpeted floor :unsure:

keith
10-04-2010, 12:36 PM
You'd have thought Apple or whoever was selling the things wouldve paid a bit more attention to the experience wouldnt you :(

They'd have blown the PCs out of the window (so to speak) if they'd been setup nicely and the staff given some decent support in getting to user them.

Dawn
10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Sounds like they weren't set up properly as they were seriously nothing but trouble.

And now they move to another class for the next term and I just know that because I managed to sort out a few issues we had that I'll have an endless stream of requests to "just come and have a look at one of the Macs" :lol:

keith
10-04-2010, 12:50 PM
My apple bias aside :lol: it's just such a shame that you had a bad experience with them :( It sounds like you had the latest imacs and the experience should have made even you go WOW :unsure:

Whoever installed them needs a real kick IMHO

catrancher
10-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Whoever installed them needs a real kick IMHO

If it's anything like some of the school systems over here, they take whatever cretin they can find and "annoint" them as their "technology specialist". Most times they can't even find the power switch, yet they're deemed the "expert". :geekon:

When my DW was still teaching, I used to have to go fix her computers frequently after the tech support folks came in and totally screwed them up. :mad:

And I didn't even get paid for it. However, it did help keep domestic bliss!

Tom (:macwave:... fan of domestic bliss!)

Dawn
10-04-2010, 12:57 PM
It was just a temporary install. The idea is that one year 5 class gets them for a term each year for animation. They are constantly in the way and having to be moved from desk to desk. And no one ever showed us how to shut the things down properly so god only knows what some of the kids were doing to them.

keith
10-04-2010, 01:04 PM
It was just a temporary install. The idea is that one year 5 class gets them for a term each year for animation. They are constantly in the way and having to be moved from desk to desk. And no one ever showed us how to shut the things down properly so god only knows what some of the kids were doing to them.

That's what is such a great shame. Instead of people thinking OMG is it our turn! WOW look at what the last class did!!!! It'll be ARHG thank goodness they're out of our class this term.

Some of the software on the mac for kid stuff and heck adult stuff too, animation, video etc, is simply world leading. I mean ok not right for kids, but Final Cut Pro is adored by movie making folks, the way the whole imovie/iphoto/idvd stuff works together is a dream.

It sounds like instead of having someone there to really evangelise and show the best bits, the machines were just dumped there :thumbsdown:

josh.p.
10-04-2010, 01:34 PM
You'd have thought Apple or whoever was selling the things wouldve paid a bit more attention to the experience wouldnt you :(

They'd have blown the PCs out of the window (so to speak) if they'd been setup nicely and the staff given some decent support in getting to user them.
The macs in our college are pretty poor too :thumbsdown: The man who set them up knows his stuff, but they are getting on now (We have some of the old swivel head ones and some white iMacs) and I think because of the heavy load on the network they are even slower. :unsure: It really is a shame though as I genuinley think that most students would prefer them if we had some well set-up good examples.

Sounds like they weren't set up properly as they were seriously nothing but trouble.

And now they move to another class for the next term and I just know that because I managed to sort out a few issues we had that I'll have an endless stream of requests to "just come and have a look at one of the Macs" :lol:
:rotfl: It is a shame that they where not set up properly though :sigh: I genuinley think you'd quite like them if you used a well set-up one :yes: The PCs in college are set up terribly :sigh: and I know it's a real pain when you just want to get your work done!

Deafjeff
11-04-2010, 08:20 AM
Still no news re prices and the website keep saying.......' A Magical and revolutionary product at an unbelievable price....' my fear is that the price could be 'unbelievable' rather than 'believable'!

:-(

josh.p.
11-04-2010, 10:41 AM
I hope Apple puts as good of a price on it than they did in the usa. I just can't imagine that we will get as good of a deal :(

Dawn
11-04-2010, 10:45 AM
Can I buy one in Florida and it will work over here?

keith
11-04-2010, 10:52 AM
Can I buy one in Florida and it will work over here?

All indicators are yes :yes:

You may need to have some form of converter for the PSU but no big deal if so

Dawn
11-04-2010, 11:02 AM
So if no one has one by August I could bring a stash back for you all. :D

Lisa1976
14-04-2010, 07:44 AM
So this ipad, it seems to be a larger version of the itouch??? Is it really all that??

catrancher
14-04-2010, 10:46 AM
So this ipad, it seems to be a larger version of the itouch??? Is it really all that??

It's that and more! :yes:

On mine, I've also got the iWork suite of programs. That means that I can do word processing, spreadsheets, and Powerpoint like slide presentations. Even import and work on Microsoft office documents. And these apps are fabulous! :thumbsup:

Additionally, when you consider things like iBooks (the Kindle like book reader) and the larger screen real estate it rapidly becomes a much better user experience than the iPhone/iTouch. It's been referred to as filling the gap between the iPhone/iTouch and a laptop. After using mine for a while, I can believe it! :geekon:

Tom (:macwave:... still loving it!)

Deafjeff
14-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo! Nooooooooooooooo! :thumbsdown:

Global ipad delayed until May :unsure:

Nooooooooooo! Noooooooo!

catrancher
14-04-2010, 04:53 PM
Nooooooooooooooooo! Nooooooooooooooo! :thumbsdown:

Global ipad delayed until May :unsure:

Nooooooooooo! Noooooooo!

Uhhh.... can I safely assume you're not happy? :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... sorry!)

Deafjeff
14-04-2010, 04:57 PM
GUTTED!

josh.p.
14-04-2010, 06:49 PM
ARGHHHH!!!! BIIIIGGG huge :slap: coming your way Apple!!

I wasn't going to buy one but it's annoyed me mightily. arghhh!

Orange is going to provide Apple with the 3g for the iPad, apparently (apples and oranges.. the marketing writes itself!)

josh.p.
14-04-2010, 06:49 PM
Looks like vodaphone and 02 will be offering data plans, too.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2010/apr/14/ipad-uk-vodafone-o2-orange

keith
14-04-2010, 06:53 PM
In a way thats handy since I just swapped over to orange for business.

I wonder if I buy an ipad in the states with 3g, will I just be able to swap for an orange microsim when I get back. Cant see why not

Britchick
14-04-2010, 06:58 PM
i'm sulking.

keith
14-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Well guess where I'm going to be going the minute we get to Orlando!

josh.p.
14-04-2010, 07:00 PM
In a way thats handy since I just swapped over to orange for business.

I wonder if I buy an ipad in the states with 3g, will I just be able to swap for an orange microsim when I get back. Cant see why not
Everything I've read suggests so :yes:

Britchick
14-04-2010, 07:13 PM
:hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit: :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit: :hissyfit::hissyfit:

catrancher
14-04-2010, 07:15 PM
:hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit: :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit: :hissyfit::hissyfit:

Don't hold back. Tell us how you "really" feel. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... Psychology Today!)

mainecoon lover
14-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Its so not fair :hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit::hissyfit:. Well i think i will wait till we get to new York now. I have told Nigel its dump bags and head to the apple store.

josh.p.
14-04-2010, 07:44 PM
Are you taking a laptop to sync it to? :unsure: