PDA

View Full Version : Decorating question

Claire
04-04-2010, 04:42 PM
We are currently decorating our hallway and I wanted to ask what others had done with regards to their radiators. We have three options. Either paint the radiator brilliant white to match skirting, door frames etc, paint the radiator to match the walls (a sort of duck egg blue) or buy one of those radiator cover type things that you see in B & Q.

Has anyone else ever painted their radiator to blend into the wall or taken the traditional 'white' route?

arkvilla
04-04-2010, 05:05 PM
Most of our radiators are painted to match our walls.

Our kitchen one has a radiator cover ( painted to match the walls ) I'm big on co-ordination

I realy like the radiator cover and will get one for our hall as it's a bit bare, then I can put some nick nacs on top

Sandra

Britchick
04-04-2010, 05:17 PM
I plan to move before woodwork or radiators need painting! Sorry no hope lol!

Tink
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM
When living where we had radiators, we had both versions. Some were painted to match the wall, others used the radiator cover.

Haven't had such a great place to proof bread dough since that one strategically covered radiator! :yes:

Claire
04-04-2010, 09:31 PM
I plan to move before woodwork or radiators need painting! Sorry no hope lol!

With my children I'd be moving every other week.

josh.p.
04-04-2010, 11:32 PM
We have a radiator cover in our hall and it's good for putting stuff like vases etc on it.

ukwdwnut
05-04-2010, 12:32 AM
I always paint old rads white, never paint new rads....BUT only use radiator paint, it stays white, whatever you do do not use gloss it will go a horrid yellow colour i stopped using gloss years ago as a whole everywhere in the house because it goes yellow

Shellyamc
05-04-2010, 01:24 AM
My parents house has radiators and my Dad made simple nice looking covers for them :yes: They are 3 pieces of wood and then he got some decorative metal mesh for the front piece. He just stapled the mesh on and they look really nice. An extra shelf for pictures of the grand kids as well :yes:

MystikPiglit
05-04-2010, 01:22 PM
They look okay painted, providing that you can get exactly the same shade in radiator paint. :thumbsup:

When we redecorated last year our builder made covers, which I painted to match the woodwork, for the dining room ones and they are great. It makes the room look so much nicer. I will definitely go for that option in future. :yes:

Dawn
05-04-2010, 03:35 PM
We bought a cover from Jali for the one in our living room and painted it to match the woodwork. Looks really good. :thumbsup:

Claire
05-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Question from DH - does having a cover over the radiator cut the heat output much?

Dawn
06-04-2010, 06:34 AM
Ours doesn't.

Have a look here. Made-to-measure radiator covers, bookcases and much more from Jali Ltd (http://www.jali.co.uk)

Disneybumble
06-04-2010, 03:31 PM
We have covers in the hall. Or did until a very precious build a bear shoe was dropped behind it.

lisaw
06-04-2010, 04:20 PM
We had covers in our old house and didn't notice any heat loss (but then the house was about the size of a shoebox so one candle would have heated the whole place :lol:)

We don't have radiators in this house but if we did I would definitely have covers on - and paint them white :yes:

Claire
06-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Ok I officially want Jali radiator cabinets! Anyone fancy a look at the colour (http://www.dulux.co.uk/colour/inky_pool_6) we've chosen for the walls?

lisaw
06-04-2010, 04:36 PM
Ok I officially want Jali radiator cabinets! Anyone fancy a look at the colour (http://www.dulux.co.uk/colour/inky_pool_6) we've chosen for the walls?

OOh I like! :yes:

Dawn
06-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Ooooh that's almost Cinderella blue. :D

We love our Jali rad cover. They make them to measure which is great when you don't have standard sized heaters. And they make them with an end to butt up to the wall and all sorts of other options. It comes flatpack and it took Adrian about half an hour to assemble. Definitely recommend them. :thumbsup: