PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain what 'aspect ratio' is?

MystikPiglit
17-07-2008, 12:34 PM
Please. :)
I had a quick flurry of techiness with my new camera but that wore off.... Now I need to set the 'aspect ratio' and picture size.
Please could anyone give me advice. I've read the manual but none the wiser.
I have the panasonic Lumix TZ5.
Thank you. :)

keith
17-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Basically it's the ratio of the length of the sides of the images. For example, a traditional 35mm film frame is approximately 36mm wide and 24mm tall. So this would be an aspect ratio of 36:24, or in shorthand 3:2. Monitors and old style, non-widescreen tvs, typically use a 4:3 aspect ratio.

Generally just set your digicam to the largest size, finest compression

MystikPiglit
17-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Thanks, Keith. :)

Would the ratio setting make any difference when I have large print done from any shots?

keith
17-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Thanks, Keith. :)

Would the ratio setting make any difference when I have large print done from any shots?

Well the main thing to realise is that the sensor in your camera is a set size and ratio. So all you're doing when you select an option to change it in the settings is cropping out useful information!

So ok, by setting an interesting ratio, you may make it easier to just print out something at that size and shape but you're potentially losing bits at the sides or top and bottom.

In other words, leave it set to the largest then if you want to, crop the photo to a new shape when you upload it to your computer :)

MystikPiglit
17-07-2008, 01:21 PM
In other words, leave it set to the largest then if you want to, crop the photo to a new shape when you upload it to your computer :)

Ah, now that makes sense! Thanks. :)
You should write a manual 'for blondes trying to use technology'. :D

keith
17-07-2008, 01:24 PM

:lol: thanks well we do have a few "how to..." articles coming soon to this forum :)

MystikPiglit
17-07-2008, 01:33 PM
:lol: thanks well we do have a few "how to..." articles coming soon to this forum :)

Excellent! Thanks. :)

mumof2
19-07-2008, 04:57 PM

....and one for those of us with brown hair too please!! :D

Tink
19-07-2008, 10:37 PM
And gray! :D

MystikPiglit
20-07-2008, 01:04 PM
:lol: