PDA

View Full Version : General Election time then

Dawn
06-04-2010, 09:56 AM
May 6th then. A month of non-stop pap being spouted by people who really don't care about the things I care about.

Can't wait for our sitting MP to knock on my door. :evil:

He still hasn't replied to the email I sent him before the last election and a couple of weeks back he was due to visit school to speak with our year 6 children but cancelled without reason and hour before he was due to arrive. I am ready for him and his lackies. :evil:

All I want from this election is a better exchange rate. :unsure:

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 09:57 AM
thank god a chance to get rid of this shower we've had to put up with for so long and especially mr stealth tax who was never voted into office by the people of this country :yes:

keith
06-04-2010, 12:18 PM
All I want from this election is a better exchange rate. :unsure:

How awful it sounds but I feel exactly the same way this time around. I don't believe any of the parties have any great ideas to fix any of the problems we have as a country and they certainly won't be doing me any favours personally.

So all I can hope for is that we get something the markets like so the exchange rate gets better for the holidays.

Sad when it comes down to that isnt it?

keith
06-04-2010, 12:23 PM
thank god a chance to get rid of this shower we've had to put up with for so long and especially mr stealth tax who was never voted into office by the people of this country :yes:

Completely agree Mick :yes:

How often we were told that Brown is an international finance genius, best in the world, yet he didnt see the problems coming and simply spent spent spent money he didn't have.

The investment bankers all still have jobs and huge bonusses, as do the politicians, and millions of "normal" people either don't have jobs or have taken cuts.

Of course the problem is, given the money HAS been spent, whoever gets in we're going to be taxed, taxed and taxed again. Even the traditionally lower tax conservatives have said it'll be the case.

So yeah, I want Brown gone that's for sure but it'll be a shallow victory really.

Skywatcher
06-04-2010, 12:51 PM
I will vote, just because people have faught and died to give me the right but I am less otivated to this time than ever before :sigh: in my naivity I used to think a party represented a certain set of ideals and th epopulus of the time voted for what they wanted or needed - now they both run around trying to get power and the distinction is virtually impossible to make. I think Cameron will be a slightly better statesman than Brown but thats about it; the country is sinking and as Keioth says none of the parties has any clue what to do - just come up with policies that will get them elected - noone thinks long term anymore its all about instant self gratification

Sorry bit of a rant, ut this is the first time I haven't really 'cared'

Poohtle
06-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Really don't know who to vote for this time. We voted for our local MP before, regardless of which party he represented, as he was excellent, but he is retiring this time.

Think I need to get out of the country!!!:yes:

keith
06-04-2010, 12:57 PM
:yes:

I know it would cause an absolute crisis for the country, for the markets, (for my holiday exchange rate!), but I REALLY REALLY would like a) voting to be made compulsory by law but b) there to be a clear option "no confidence in any of the above"

Assuming that, as I believe, the "no confidence" would win, they'd have to go back and change their policies.

Skywatcher
06-04-2010, 01:00 PM
Brewsters millions 'none of the above' :lol:

Slowhand
06-04-2010, 01:05 PM
As most of the polls are indicating that it will be a close fought election, maybe ending up with some form of a coalition, wouldn`t it be great if the politicians could forget about the squabbling and all get their heads together to try and sort out the financial mess that this country is in?
It`s good to dream sometimes though I doubt whether it will ever happen.

Skywatcher
06-04-2010, 01:10 PM
I can't remember an election in my living memory where the pudits weren't discussing a 'hung parliament' - it will be a landslide and I'm willing to go the bookies on it

keith
06-04-2010, 01:10 PM
As most of the polls are indicating that it will be a close fought election, maybe ending up with some form of a coalition, wouldn`t it be great if the politicians could forget about the squabbling and all get their heads together to try and sort out the financial mess that this country is in?
It`s good to dream sometimes though I doubt whether it will ever happen.

Absolutely agree.

Too much short term, "I want all the power" thinking and they've all lost sight of what's best for the country and the people.

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 01:11 PM
all they are interested in these days is their bank account

Deafjeff
06-04-2010, 01:15 PM
I think the problem is that they are making 'promises' and it is very much over use and at the moment no party is a clear winner as I like some bit in labour, some bit in Tory and some bit in Lib Dems ho hum.....

Dawn
06-04-2010, 02:14 PM
I'm completely apathetic this time around. I don't mind admitting that since I turned 18 I have voted Labour every time. This time I really don't know. I will vote but I'd really like a "none of the above" option on the ballot paper - I have done my democratic duty but do not wish any of those named to represent me.

Gordon Brown is hopeless. David Cameron does not have to presence to lead a country. Nick Clegg...who? Is the lesser of evils really.

Just give me £1 = $1.60 and you have my vote.

Slowhand
06-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Just give me £1 = $1.60 and you have my vote.

That`s fine if you are a tourist but the exchange rate is really hitting those companies who do a lot of export to the States.
My old company are really feeling the pinch because of this and may well have to consider laying workers off.

Dawn
06-04-2010, 02:22 PM
What rate shall we ask the politicians for then? If any knock at my door I'll ask them. :D

Slowhand
06-04-2010, 02:25 PM
What rate shall we ask the politicians for then? If any knock at my door I'll ask them. :D
If you run an export business then £1 = $1 seems about right, but if you are a tourist then £1 = $2 would be ok. :lol:

Dawn
06-04-2010, 02:28 PM
My dad said you used to get $4 to £1.

Anyway if Parliament has been dissolved who's running the country for the next month? :unsure:

keith
06-04-2010, 02:29 PM
If you run an export business then £1 = $1 seems about right, but if you are a tourist then £1 = $2 would be ok. :lol:

That's so true :lol:

Gordon Brown is hopeless. David Cameron does not have to presence to lead a country. Nick Clegg...who? Is the lesser of evils really.

Completely agree :( and I'm at completely the opposite end of the political spectrum to Dawn. So I think we can pretty much conclude that we're *ALL* REALLY stuffed this time :lol:

Deafjeff
06-04-2010, 02:29 PM

Anyway if Parliament has been dissolved who's running the country for the next month? :unsure:

To be honest, I am not sure who have been running this country anyway! :unsure:

Slowhand
06-04-2010, 02:30 PM

I`m not really old but I can remember it being around $2.6 to £1. [ok, maybe I am old! :lol:]

keith
06-04-2010, 02:30 PM

I vote for those meerkats off the comparethemarket.com advert!

Skywatcher
06-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Seems we all agree here then

None of the above :lol:

josh.p.
06-04-2010, 02:35 PM
I'm sad that I can vote now and I don't seem to have any real choice! It's hobson's choice!

I think Cameron is an absolute idiot (or at least the media has portrayed him in that way!) but after having labour during the past few years hasn't exactly been brilliant! I'll more than likely vote labour because as far as I can see the other parties want to raise university fees. :yes: (Cop out reason really but that's the only distinction I can make given the information that I've got about each party.

I say we all vote Monster Raving Loonie and just be done with it :yes:

Deafjeff
06-04-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm sad that I can vote now and I don't seem to have any real choice! It's hobson's choice!

I think Cameron is an absolute idiot (or at least the media has portrayed him in that way!) but after having labour during the past few years hasn't exactly been brilliant! I'll more than likely vote labour because as far as I can see the other parties want to raise university fees. :yes: (Cop out reason really but that's the only distinction I can make given the information that I've got about each party.

I say we all vote Monster Raving Loonie and just be done with it :yes:

Or have Disney Party! (double puns here!!) :thumbsup:

MarkE
06-04-2010, 02:42 PM
If you want the exchange rate to improve, I'd say Lib Dem's and indy's are to be avoided like the plague. That (imho) just increases the chances of a hung parliament, which will ruin the market. Early indicators hint that as more concise polls are taken now the election has been called, the Tory's have started to pull away...

I don't mind stating either that last time I voted Lib Dem's because they were the only ones that wanted to increase on the beat police numbers, and to be honest it feels like a wasted vote in hindsight.

be voting conservative, because I've always hated the hand out mentality of labour, and the fact that they play on being the 'working class party' when they're actually far from it. They got us in to this mess after a strong foundation was laid for them, and it was many of Brown's budgets that has us owing so much money. Yes the Tories will cut back a bit, but taxes will generally be lower under them - and where has all the extra tax and spending got us under labour?

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 02:45 PM
ive never voted labour and i never will. i always remember the state of the place when they get voted out...some people have short memories as to what they do to this country when they get in power

Slowhand
06-04-2010, 02:47 PM
I'll more than likely vote labour because as far as I can see the other parties want to raise university fees.
But can you recall which party introduced those fees in the first place Josh?

keith
06-04-2010, 02:49 PM

I can ;)

josh.p.
06-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I'm guessing it was labour but I'm probably too young to actually remember :rotfl:

Slowhand
06-04-2010, 03:00 PM
I'm guessing it was labour but I'm probably too young to actually remember :rotfl:
Touché Josh. :lol:

MarkE
06-04-2010, 03:08 PM
Yeah it was Josh.

They're also responsible for the 50% tax rate that hit high earners starting today. And while some people will say it only effects rich overpaid footballers etc, think of those high in the military who get paid extra when they're on tour, education area co-ordinators and actors like the higher paid actors, stand up comedians, music / film stars, successful writers - they'll all be effected. In essence they are driving all those people away and encouraging them to live elsewhere. Even Susan Boyle!! What encouragement is there to succeed if the reward is that you get to give HALF of your (hard) EARNED money away?

ETA: Isn't it the Tories who have stated if they are elected, an unemployed person can transfer their tax allowance to their husband / wife / legal partner? That would help ALOT of people out straight off the bat.

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 03:23 PM
and to add they are responsible for the totally ridiculous tax levy on petrol and diesel. what i cant understand is how can the tax on a product by far out weigh the cost of a product. i remember them saying all buy diesel cars its cleaner and so much cheaper...then when everyone started to buy them, hey surprise surprise diesel costs more than petrol....lying, scheming cheating b******s :furious::furious::furious:

MarkE
06-04-2010, 03:28 PM
And the increase on cigarettes (not that I care, I don't smoke, and it should be discouraged), but no improvement on health care, and the 10% hike on cider! That will ruin a lot of small local breweries.

keith
06-04-2010, 03:35 PM
That's the thing isnt it? They increase taxes on this and that just to have more money to spend wherever they choose.

I always think ok so they're raising NI so more will go to the nhs, or getting more tax from petrol/diesel so the roads will be better maintained but oh no, not how it works at all.

So it just always feels like a total scam

Dawn
06-04-2010, 03:44 PM
Ooooh huge tax on 4 x 4s :evil:

Now where have I said that before. :wink:

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 03:44 PM
That's the thing isnt it? They increase taxes on this and that just to have more money to spend wherever they choose.

I always think ok so they're raising NI so more will go to the nhs, or getting more tax from petrol/diesel so the roads will be better maintained but oh no, not how it works at all.

So it just always feels like a total scam

you know keith, the road fund license must rake in millions but only 5% gets spent on the roads :furious:

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 03:45 PM

Now where have I said that before. :wink:

somewhere poyple i think :lol:

Dawn
06-04-2010, 03:47 PM
I stand by my beliefs. If you genuinely need a 4 x 4 then tax should take this into consideration. If you have one to drop the kids off half a mile away at their posh school then you should be taxed through the nose.

There - that's my manifesto. :D

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I stand by my beliefs. If you genuinely need a 4 x 4 then tax should take this into consideration. If you have one to drop the kids off half a mile away at their posh school then you should be taxed through the nose.

There - that's my manifesto. :D

i was at school one day in the front car park and this woman came in to drop her kids off, which she shouldnt be doing, it was one of those HUGE audi 4x4's couldnt believe how big it was and said to her wow thats a huge car, she replied yeah ive got 4 kids to bring to and from school, i nearly burst out laughing ermmmmmmm any car can deliver 4 kids to and from school, status symbols thats all they are that do less than 25mpg in town :nono:

Britchick
06-04-2010, 04:08 PM
I believe in the 50% tax for those earning over £150,000. Mark, I'd like to see where u get your figures from about military earning that sort of money. £5 a day for expenditures such as laundry, telephone calls and meals paid for up to a max amount, reciepts have to be produced while travelling to places such as the US. Allowances while in the desert are about £6 a day, and that's taxed.

I do worry if the conservatives get in that they will go straight for the kill and cut without research. I agree that efficiencies can and should be made but those arealready starting to be made. If they get in then our best defence will be being friends with other nations, woe betide if anyone decides to take a pop at us!

I've come to the conclusion that it's better the devil you know, either way in 5 years time we'll all be sat here moaning about the same things LOL

I

Dawn
06-04-2010, 04:19 PM
My Facebook status should prove controversial to certain parties. :evil:

Dawn
06-04-2010, 04:24 PM
My constituency candidates.

Tim Loughton, Conservative
Emily Benn, Labour
James Doyle, Liberal Democrat
Susan Board, Green
Michael Glennon, UKIP
Clive Maltby, English Democrat

English Democrat? Don't like the sound of that party. Disappointed that the Legalise Cannabis Alliance are not posting a candidate this time round. They've had a candidate in our last 2 general elections.

We're in a Conservative stronghold here so the result is pretty much foregone conclusion.

josh.p.
06-04-2010, 04:27 PM
My constituency candidates.

Tim Loughton, Conservative
Emily Benn, Labour
James Doyle, Liberal Democrat
Susan Board, Green
Michael Glennon, UKIP
Clive Maltby, English Democrat

English Democrat? Don't like the sound of that party. Disappointed that the Legalise Cannabis Alliance are not posting a candidate this time round. They've had a candidate in our last 2 general elections.

We're in a Conservative stronghold here so the result is pretty much foregone conclusion.
Looking at the 'English Democrat' manifesto- they're a watered down version of the BNP :( I still think we should make Nick Griffin go on "Who do you think you are?" to trace his family tree :rotfl:

Claire
06-04-2010, 04:47 PM
It seems to be an election run on personality politics to me.

I will vote for our current local MP again this time purely on what she has done for me personally as opposed to the party she represents and their manifesto. I know that sounds totally selfish but she is so vocal and supportive for autistic adults and children in our area and has done so much I would be foolish to give my vote to anyone else.

Skywatcher
06-04-2010, 04:52 PM
:laugh:

These 50% tax things are just a ploy to win over people and get votes - they won't generate enough money to actually do anything constructive- not that it will affect me but its another cynical and calculated move to win power not help reduce the deficit - even the financial bod on 5live said the same this lunchtime - its all about getting power and staying in power.

I may spoil my paper and see what percentage of others do - ours is such a Tory stroghold that Labour don't even bother putting up a candidate at most elections - back to the elections of yore :D

ukwdwnut
06-04-2010, 04:56 PM
ours is such a Tory stroghold that Labour don't even bother putting up a candidate at most elections - back to the elections of yore :D

my town will be nothing other than tory as well, always has been they win by landslides everytime

keith
06-04-2010, 05:02 PM
I will vote for our current local MP again this time purely on what she has done for me personally as opposed to the party she represents and their manifesto. I know that sounds totally selfish but she is so vocal and supportive for autistic adults and children in our area and has done so much I would be foolish to give my vote to anyone else.

I dont think that's selfish at all Claire! I think if someone's genuinely done a good job, that's a lot more tangible than all the party politics.

All I'd like is for someone to find a party for me to vote for who will give me something.

Owner of a business, married no kids, we both work, receive no benefits and never have, like my flights to florida and my cars which we work hard to fund, already pay too much in tax but would suck it up IF I could be assured the money funded the NHS and not some stupid benefit paid to someone else or a bank.

Would like a politician somewhere to explain why I'm paying taxes to fund banks who are themselves borrowing money at 0.5% but want to charge the business 11/12/13% and more to borrow?

I also want to know where my dividends are from the bank shares we now own? The heads of the banks all got bonusses and made money, so we should all be due a cheque in the post right?

So.... I'm an easy vote :) can someone help me find a party that'll give me *anything* at all and at this point I'd probably settle for an ice cream or orangemaid lolly (and somehow I don't think I'll even get that :lol: )

josh.p.
06-04-2010, 05:06 PM
mmm... ice lollies! *drool*

MarkE
07-04-2010, 07:55 AM
I believe in the 50% tax for those earning over £150,000. Mark, I'd like to see where u get your figures from about military earning that sort of money. £5 a day for expenditures such as laundry, telephone calls and meals paid for up to a max amount, reciepts have to be produced while travelling to places such as the US. Allowances while in the desert are about £6 a day, and that's taxed.

Their allowances aren't taxed, they're paid in a lump sum on their return. Military was probably not the best example, as they do seem to take care of most of them - but a high ranking specialist (ie fighter pilot commanders and linguists) can just about push themselves through that threshold with length of service. For many other professions it's easy. Contractors, lawyers etc who have worked hard their entire lives break that barrier, and as thanks for servicing society they have to give £75,000 of it back?

Like Keith said, might not seem so bad if they seemed to be doing something positive with it! But the pot holes on my route to work are a nightmare, I am in the vast minority as I have an NHS dentist, getting an appointment with my own doctor is less likely than winning euromillions, and the banks that have been bailed out BY ME won't give me a loan at a reasonable rate.

Britchick
07-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Sorry but the only person that may go near thr £150,000 in the military is a chief of staff. In the salaried staff even Air Commodores are on a maxof £100,000. With regards to allowances, the food element claimed back is not taxed but the daily separation allowance is.

Slowhand
07-04-2010, 09:34 AM

It doesn`t apply to ALL 4 x 4`s though.
My DW drives a Toyota Rav 4, which is the only vehicle we can use to get out of our house in icy weather [Jags + snow = no go!]
Despite it being a 4 x 4, the emissions/good fuel comsumption/low emissions result in me paying a darn sight less in road fund licence compared with my Jag.

MarkE
07-04-2010, 03:54 PM
As I said, military may be a bad example, but the principle remains the same - is it FAIR to demand half a person's wages off them just because they're successful? What happens when this tax isn't enough, and they lower the threshold to £100k? Or raise it to 60p in the pound, so they expect successful people to give the state more than half their earnings?

The answer may be "if they don't like it, they can leave" - but then what happens when they do?

Dawn
07-04-2010, 03:59 PM
I see your point Mark but how do we balance it with the lower earners? Can't make them pay more tax because they have no more money to pay. A severe overhaul of the benefits system is desperately needed though to get rid our or benefits culture and the chav underclass living off Mr 50% tax. Maybe that should be done before assessing tax levels. :unsure:

Dawn
07-04-2010, 04:01 PM
It doesn`t apply to ALL 4 x 4`s though.
My DW drives a Toyota Rav 4, which is the only vehicle we can use to get out of our house in icy weather [Jags + snow = no go!]
Despite it being a 4 x 4, the emissions/good fuel comsumption/low emissions result in me paying a darn sight less in road fund licence compared with my Jag.

No definitely not all 4x4s. Just those used to transport public schoolboys a mile down the Fulham Palace Road and never see mud in their lifetime. And those that park in disabled spaces and those with drivers who can't park them. Or can park them but choose to park them on the yellow zigzags outside school. :thumbsup:

keith
07-04-2010, 09:36 PM
[Jags + snow = no go!]

hehe this bit made me laugh :lol:

Love my jag but omg how utterly useless was it this winter! Couldnt get it off the path and when I finally did I couldnt get it back on :lol:

ukwdwnut
08-04-2010, 12:07 AM
As I said, military may be a bad example, but the principle remains the same - is it FAIR to demand half a person's wages off them just because they're successful? What happens when this tax isn't enough, and they lower the threshold to £100k? Or raise it to 60p in the pound, so they expect successful people to give the state more than half their earnings?

The answer may be "if they don't like it, they can leave" - but then what happens when they do?

definately not fair. ive always said why tax a successful person 50% of their wages. i guess its because they can and its easy pickings. if i were that successful id find somewhere else to live

Tink
08-04-2010, 11:09 AM
Like Keith said, might not seem so bad if they seemed to be doing something positive with it! But the pot holes on my route to work are a nightmare, I am in the vast minority as I have an NHS dentist, getting an appointment with my own doctor is less likely than winning euromillions, and the banks that have been bailed out BY ME won't give me a loan at a reasonable rate.

OMG. This SO applies to the US!!!! :eek:

mainecoon lover
10-04-2010, 11:52 AM
It seems to be an election run on personality politics to me.

5 years ago i would have agreed with you claire but what we have learnt down here is that your local MP can do wonders if their party are in charge. When we had Labour MP she was fantastic and always did her upmost to help the likes of Beth and I, now we have LD and nothing is done. She is a complete waste of space and i think some of this is to do with her party not being in charge. I asked her help recently on several issues and two weeks after she wrote saying she had gotten no were with it. On one of the issues she had gone to the wrong department and admitted it but she did not even bother going to the right one just gave up. I have had all 3 local candidates here and there is only one that stands out the best but sadly she is Labour and i would be surprised if they got in again so will be a wasted vote. On saying this i do not wish Gordon Brown in anyway. I have not heard any of them even mention what they will do to make Beth's and my life better. The likes of Beth are the biggest losers in this economical state i am afraid as she is the minority.

I think in 5 years we will all hate who ever our government is as they are only out for themselves.

Claire
10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
5 years ago i would have agreed with you claire but what we have learnt down here is that your local MP can do wonders if their party are in charge. When we had Labour MP she was fantastic and always did her upmost to help the likes of Beth and I, now we have LD and nothing is done. She is a complete waste of space and i think some of this is to do with her party not being in charge. I asked her help recently on several issues and two weeks after she wrote saying she had gotten no were with it. On one of the issues she had gone to the wrong department and admitted it but she did not even bother going to the right one just gave up. I have had all 3 local candidates here and there is only one that stands out the best but sadly she is Labour and i would be surprised if they got in again so will be a wasted vote. On saying this i do not wish Gordon Brown in anyway. I have not heard any of them even mention what they will do to make Beth's and my life better. The likes of Beth are the biggest losers in this economical state i am afraid as she is the minority.

I think in 5 years we will all hate who ever our government is as they are only out for themselves.
I think a lot of it is down to the individual person. Our MP is also Lib Dem but we've had such a different experience Michelle. I guess that's why I'm having to decide my vote on such a personal level. As for what I'll do if ever there is a time Annette Brooks doesn't stand. :unsure: Lord Knows.

mainecoon lover
10-04-2010, 12:09 PM
I think a lot of it is down to the individual person. Our MP is also Lib Dem but we've had such a different experience Michelle. I guess that's why I'm having to decide my vote on such a personal level. As for what I'll do if ever there is a time Annette Brooks doesn't stand. :unsure: Lord Knows.

Well done to her than Claire, ours must just be a waste of space. I will decide on personnel reasons as well. You have also given me faith in perhaps the local Labour candidate may well be my best vote.

keith
10-04-2010, 12:14 PM

I think some genuinely want to help and make a difference, others just see themselves as president of the world and being a local mp is just a painful step on their career path.

The latter ones will never see local surgery as anything other than a hassle and they'll only ever get their assistants to write a couple of letters, thats the extent of their "help"

Dawn
10-04-2010, 12:44 PM
My local MP is a Tory and is a right ******. Keeps cancelling surgeries and other planned visits. Expenses have had to be paid back, etc, etc.

Trouble is he'll be reelected no problem and just carry on as before because most people around here are lifelong conservatives and just tick that box without even considering the options.