PDA

View Full Version : New Macbook Pro's announced!

catrancher
13-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Calling all Apple bigots!

Apple today announced a new lineup of Macbook Pro's. See them here (http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/)! :happydance:

Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors. NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M discrete graphics processor. 10 hour battery life.

What's not to like! :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:... mirror, mirror, on the wall, who's the biggest Apple bigot of them all!)

keith
13-04-2010, 03:28 PM
Big thing for me is they've finally increased the resolution as an option! 1,680-by-1,050 and glossy/non-glossy as options :yes:

catrancher
13-04-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm glad to see that they're still making the non-glare display available. Much as I like the appearance of the glossy display, for long term use I just prefer the non-glossy.

Much easier on these old eyes. :poke:

Tom (:macwave:... aging eyes!)

keith
13-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I'm glad to see that they're still making the non-glare display available. Much as I like the appearance of the glossy display, for long term use I just prefer the non-glossy.

Much easier on these old eyes. :poke:

Tom (:macwave:... aging eyes!)

Ive been a LOT happier with glossy than I expected to and indeed the imac 27" glossy is my day to day now and I love it BUT It's in a purposely dark room :yes:

josh.p.
13-04-2010, 03:55 PM
:D Niiiice! My friend literally bought a macbook pro about 2 weeks ago, he's gonna be kicking himself!

catrancher
13-04-2010, 04:00 PM
Interestingly enough, I just noticed that they're offering a 128, 256, or 512 GB SSD as an option on these.

Not cheap but oh so quick! :eek:

Tom (:macwave:... I feel the need for speed!)

keith
13-04-2010, 04:19 PM
Interestingly enough, I just noticed that they're offering a 128, 256, or 512 GB SSD as an option on these.

Not cheap but oh so quick! :eek:

Tom (:macwave:... I feel the need for speed!)

first thing I do on laptops these days is swap out the HD for SSD :yes:

At the moment I've been using 120GB ones which are *JUST ABOUT ENOUGH* given I use network drives most of the time but I'm surely hoping that the 256GB come down in price soon (or even 512)

The difference they make in a MBP is staggering. No fan noise and MASSIVELY quicker

ukwdwnut
13-04-2010, 05:02 PM
omg at those prices theres no way on this earth i will be switching anytime in this lifetime :lol:

they do look nice tho :yes:

keith
13-04-2010, 05:07 PM
omg at those prices theres no way on this earth i will be switching anytime in this lifetime :lol:

they do look nice tho :yes:

OMG you're such a pc-er :lol:

Those are top of the range laptops with everything built in! they're not 800quid toshibas or anything :) (and I like Toshiba as you know and toshiba do some pricey ones too)

ukwdwnut
13-04-2010, 05:16 PM
OMG you're such a pc-er :lol:

Those are top of the range laptops with everything built in! they're not 800quid toshibas or anything :) (and I like Toshiba as you know and toshiba do some pricey ones too)

:lol: i know i am BUT i would like to have a mac as well, as you know ive been wanting one for a while

and to add i much prefer the truebright screens than matt, the colours just jump out at you so much more :D

keith
13-04-2010, 05:17 PM
:lol: i know i am BUT i would like to have a mac as well, as you know ive been wanting one for a while

and to add i much prefer the truebright screens than matt, the colours just jump out at you so much more :D

well a macbook is the one for you dude. Much cheaper than those and STILL as featured as pc notebooks (if not more so). trubright by default

(Tom and I are developer geeks who stare at characters on the screen all day. Matt does save your eyes a little more than trubright although trubright is awesome for photos)

ukwdwnut
13-04-2010, 05:22 PM
well a macbook is the one for you dude. Much cheaper than those and STILL as featured as pc notebooks (if not more so). trubright by default

(Tom and I are developer geeks who stare at characters on the screen all day. Matt does save your eyes a little more than trubright although trubright is awesome for photos)

cant remember tbh do they do macbooks with a bigger screen than 13.3" i couldnt use one that small really

catrancher
13-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Macbooks are 13" only.

Macbook Pro's are 13", 15", or 17". :D

Tom (:macwave:... bigger is better!)

josh.p.
13-04-2010, 05:54 PM
A 13" is perfectly adequate you know Mick, I don't miss my old laptop's screen at all :yes: I do graphics and photo editing on mine, and where I'd like more screen space I don't find I'm desperate for it, and whenever I do need it then there are bigger laptops or even my iMac in the house :yes:

999 for a top of the range laptop isn't that over priced, especially for the quality of the hardware and software that you get included :yes:

ukwdwnut
14-04-2010, 03:07 PM
nah cant be doing with a 13.3" screen size....when money allows i might save for a second hand 15" but preferrable a 17" macbook pro but thats about it, wont go any smaller that that

josh.p.
14-04-2010, 04:15 PM
Have you used the 13" one? Think you'll be shocked how little difference it makes. As the saying goes 'its not the size, its how you use it :wink: :rotfl:

ukwdwnut
14-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Have you used the 13" one? Think you'll be shocked how little difference it makes. As the saying goes 'its not the size, its how you use it :wink: :rotfl:

of course....thats how i came to say i dont want one :) :lol:

the very 1st laptop i had in 98 was a 13" tosh josh

your sooooooooooo experienced at such a young age josh :wink: :rotfl:

Britchick
14-04-2010, 10:14 PM
You two cracked me up! It is amazing how you do get used to a smaller screen. My work one is 13" and it's fine. I think I'd go for the same size mac bk pro

josh.p.
14-04-2010, 10:38 PM
Honestly, I don't even notice!

keith
14-04-2010, 11:01 PM
It's a strange effect and, at the risk of being told off for being all apple biased again, the way the windows and GUI generally is on the mac seems to make better use of the space than on windows.

With windows I had a 13.3" sony vaio and constantly felt like I couldnt see enough of what was going on, with a macbook I was quite happy (although granted, I prefer the 15" ;-) )

Seriously, a 13.3" macbook is not like a 13.3" pc

josh.p.
14-04-2010, 11:11 PM
It's a strange effect and, at the risk of being told off for being all apple biased again, the way the windows and GUI generally is on the mac seems to make better use of the space than on windows.

With windows I had a 13.3" sony vaio and constantly felt like I couldnt see enough of what was going on, with a macbook I was quite happy (although granted, I prefer the 15" ;-) )

Seriously, a 13.3" macbook is not like a 13.3" pc
Exactly what I think :yes: A friend has a 13.3" toshiba (running windows 7) and the screen felt over crowded.

ukwdwnut
15-04-2010, 12:16 AM
im thinking about eye strain nothing else. i used my tosh 13.3 and it was way too small for my eyes, i suffered with iritus and nearly lost an eye because of it, nothing to do with looking at a small screen i might add. i just prefer big screen with the res set small like 1650x 1050 on my pc. i suffer no headaches or anything on my 17" tosh so im not going to chance getting those again on a small screen :)

so if you know how to use your 13.3 inches josh good luck to ya :wink: :lol:

josh how do you mean a screen feels overcrowded just coz its using win 7 :unsure:

keith
15-04-2010, 12:31 AM
josh how do you mean a screen feels overcrowded just coz its using win 7 :unsure:

Not that I want to speak for Josh, but it's kinda what you were talking about. You get a 13.3" tosh and you put up a web browser and thats it. The fonts somehow feel small and you strain to read things sometime.

The Mac windows have less window clutter in them (partly because they have an application menu at the top of the screen) and the fonts are smoothed in a completely different way (there are papers on the different approaches used and advocates/critics of both).

All in all it just seems that a macbook, which would feel small if it were a windows pc, doesn't have that same cramped, eyestrainy feeling.

It's actually easy to experience now because you can boot one up in windows then boot the same device in macosx and experience it for yourself.

Sounds strange, sounds biased, but it just does work well

ukwdwnut
15-04-2010, 08:50 AM
Not that I want to speak for Josh, but it's kinda what you were talking about. You get a 13.3" tosh and you put up a web browser and thats it. The fonts somehow feel small and you strain to read things sometime.

The Mac windows have less window clutter in them (partly because they have an application menu at the top of the screen) and the fonts are smoothed in a completely different way (there are papers on the different approaches used and advocates/critics of both).

All in all it just seems that a macbook, which would feel small if it were a windows pc, doesn't have that same cramped, eyestrainy feeling.

It's actually easy to experience now because you can boot one up in windows then boot the same device in macosx and experience it for yourself.

ok thx keith, my bro has a works 13" macbook so will have a look at that.....hey and i never take anyones mac only views as being biased, just a matter of preference :)

josh.p.
15-04-2010, 04:53 PM

:yes: You read my mind!!

I really do sometimes feel as if I am totally mac biased, too, but they are just such great machines. It totally converts you when you use one :yes:

ukwdwnut
15-04-2010, 05:48 PM
:yes: You read my mind!!

I really do sometimes feel as if I am totally mac biased, too, but they are just such great machines. It totally converts you when you use one :yes:

you are josh :wink: :lol:

i had a quick look at my bro's and tbh i was lost....id need to spend a lot more time getting used to one