PDA

View Full Version : URGENT - Everyone blow please

Dawn
16-04-2010, 05:12 PM
It's an emergency.

Chris and Lisa are stuck with the boys in Tenerife. Nowhere to stay and no idea when they can get home.

Everyone blow!!!

Claire
16-04-2010, 05:16 PM
Oh lordy. I'm so blowing!!! :fingers: for them all.

Kate
16-04-2010, 05:18 PM
Oh good grief! Blooooooooooooowing!!!

Isafari
16-04-2010, 05:19 PM
:fingers:

MystikPiglit
16-04-2010, 05:27 PM
Oh no... :thumbsdown: Turning the fan on now.....

ukwdwnut
16-04-2010, 05:30 PM
jeez i forgot about chris being there....hope the airports open real soon

josh.p.
16-04-2010, 05:38 PM
OMG! I didn't think they where coming home for another few days :sigh: Blowing some :pixiedust: their way.

daveann
16-04-2010, 05:38 PM
oh no :(

catrancher
16-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Huffing and puffing and... oh never mind!

Tom (:macwave:... wind bag!)

tb2830
16-04-2010, 06:13 PM
im huffing and puffing :yes: hope they get back soon

Britchick
16-04-2010, 06:18 PM
omg! that's all they need.

Shellyamc
16-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Oh no!! Thinking good thoughts for a quick trip home!!

Keep us posted please :unsure:

Claire
16-04-2010, 06:58 PM
I assume they can't stay where they are. Maybe with no new tourists arriving they'll find something else if not?

Britchick
16-04-2010, 07:05 PM
i'm blowing!

mumof2
16-04-2010, 07:13 PM
oh no, hope they can get something sorted soon :hug2:

Tink
16-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Oh my flipping g-d. :( :( :( :sorry:

That is SO not right. :sorry: :cry2:

josh.p.
17-04-2010, 12:23 AM
:sigh: Any updates Dawn? I was going to text him but he more than likely has his phone switched off after Keith's horror story about the internet roaming!

keith
17-04-2010, 12:26 AM
:sigh: Any updates Dawn? I was going to text him but he more than likely has his phone switched off after Keith's horror story about the internet roaming!

I think they've been allowed to stay for another night in their accommodation since no new guests could fly in anyway! :yes:

Dawn will I'm sure know more, but they're taking it one day at a time and hoping they're able to fly home soon

kazzaqld
17-04-2010, 12:58 AM
That's not good at all - I had been hoping no Secrets members were affected!

I'm not sure if pixiedust is appreciated given the situation? :unsure:

Huffing and puffing from all the way down here! :yes:

Beccaberry
17-04-2010, 03:23 AM
Well that's just not ok.

Thinking good thoughts.

Dawn
17-04-2010, 06:33 AM
No more updates yet. They were due to come home today. Just keep blowing.

Dawn
17-04-2010, 10:42 AM
OK latest news. Going back to airport today to see what's happening but as of now they are homeless. As they didn't book a package there is no tour operator to help them. Easyjet may help find somewhere to stay for them but we still need to keep blowing.

Dawn
17-04-2010, 10:49 AM
New update. Earliest flight available is next Saturday to Bristol - Gatwick has nothing for 2 weeks. Villa company are letting them stay on a day to day basis at no charge so at least they are no longer homeles. If flights start up in the meantime though and the next renter arrives they will have to leave.

Tink
17-04-2010, 10:50 AM
So what are you telling us? They are stuck with no hotel, and no hope of finding a hotel? :eek:

Surely there must be something that can be done. :(

How far is Tenerife from England? Is there another means of travel?

Dawn
17-04-2010, 10:56 AM
They have somewhere to stay as long as the next person does not arrive. The earliest they can get home is next Saturday. Kids are due back at school Monday and Chris due back at surgery.

Tenerife is off the coast of Africa. The only other way off the island is by ferry to Cadiz on the southern tip of Spain and then drive through Spain and France and hope there's a space on the ferry or Eurostar.

Tink
17-04-2010, 10:59 AM
I knew it was somewhere near the water...

Is that not an option then? The long way out, I mean? Or is that too impractical?

(Our posts crossed by the way).

Ummm...do they have enough funds with them to be safe? :(

I am just so sorry that this has happened. If ever a family needed a break... and now to have this happen.

kazzaqld
17-04-2010, 10:59 AM
Tink, it's in the Canary Islands off the coast of Africa. Tenerife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenerife)

So no buses or trains :(

That would be the scariest part - no accommodation!

3 of my work colleagues were stranded on Norfolk Island for 5 days because of a cyclone - the only reason they had accommodation was that no-one could arrive either.

Very scary - bet the credit card is taking a pounding. :sorry:

Tink
17-04-2010, 11:17 AM
Well dammit! Now listen to me.

There is a new law here. TINK'S LAW.

There will be NO MORE HOLIDAYS that are outside FLORIDA. That way if you get stranded you can come to MY HOUSE and not be living on the street in some g-dforsaken island off the coast of wherever.

IS THAT UNDERSTOOD EVERYONE???? :hopmad:

NO MORE NON-FLORIDA HOLIDAYS!!!! :hopmad:

(That means you too, Miss Kazza of the "seaplane into the deserted forgotton islands" holidays)! :eek: :nono:

Dawn
17-04-2010, 11:18 AM
Ummmm, hurricanes and gators... ?

Tink
17-04-2010, 11:21 AM
'Gators are no problem, and hurricanes are PRECISELY why you'll be at my house.

No excuses Miss Wander The Earth! :nono: FLORIDA OR NO-RIDA. GOT IT? :dozey:

Dawn
17-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Steven wants to go to Spain next year. You can 'splain to him. :shrug:

Tink
17-04-2010, 11:25 AM
He'll come here and go to Miami and St. Augustine. That will do. NO excuses!

Dawn
17-04-2010, 11:28 AM
That's Latin American spanish, he wants Iberian spanish. :unimpressed:

Tink
17-04-2010, 11:33 AM
St. Augustine most certainly is NOT Latin American. * sniff *

AND Florida was "discovered" by the Spanish... PLUS, he can go to New Orleans (ok, so we'll allow a bit of a wiggle out of Florida) for the Spanish history there.

It's rather like "Greek" in My Big Fat Greek Wedding. Everything lead back to the Greek language? Well the USA can claim to have a representation of (I'll say nearly to be safe) nearly all types of peoples. :yes: :D :D

Actually, I think it's wicked cool that he wants to go to Spain. :yes:

Claire
17-04-2010, 11:47 AM
There's always Bournemouth. :unsure:

kazzaqld
17-04-2010, 11:47 AM
OK Tink, but your fellow Americans and I (and Mari and anyone else not from there!) are allowed to go the UK or Ireland right?

Cos we know the folks there would put us up!

And if any of you want to come to Oz I would look after you.

So maybe Tink's amended law is that you can only travel somewhere where a Secrets member is in yelling distance (or cooee as we say here!) :yes:

Tink
17-04-2010, 11:51 AM
Well that will work! After all, what use is a Law if it can't be amended! :D :D

Holidays can only be where a Secrets Member lives. :yes: I LIKE that! :D :D

kazzaqld
17-04-2010, 11:54 AM
So now we just need to recruit a member from Spain (if we don't have one already?) and Steven will be all set! :thumbsup:

Tink
17-04-2010, 11:56 AM
Well, we also need to recruit some members from Kenya since our good Doc is headed there next... :dozey:

kazzaqld
17-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Well, we also need to recruit some members from Kenya since our good Doc is headed there next... :dozey:

Sounds like a plan! :yes:

Dawn
17-04-2010, 12:09 PM
There's always Bournemouth. :unsure:

Yes. Yes there is...

Dawn
17-04-2010, 01:03 PM
'Nuther message.

Can't go birdwatching as there are only smegging pigeons in Tenerife. :lol:

Boys ok. Trying to make them happy but it's hard to relax when you can't go home. It completely changes the feel of it. On the face of it being stuck on holiday sounds lovely., But it ain't. No idea when or if this will end. Just trying to make a game of everything for them.

:sigh:

keith
17-04-2010, 01:05 PM
sigh :(

catrancher
17-04-2010, 01:08 PM
That's just so not right! :sigh:

Tom (:macwave:... hope they had fun before this nonsense started!)

Beccaberry
17-04-2010, 01:17 PM
:( still blowing though....

Isafari
17-04-2010, 03:27 PM
:fingers: hope they're all ok. Thanks for the updates Dawn :thumbsup:

mainecoon lover
17-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Oh dear its a bad time for all who are flying. Hope this ends soon.

ukwdwnut
17-04-2010, 09:28 PM
i just realisedmy brother is out in cyprus, wonder if he will get home too

josh.p.
17-04-2010, 09:37 PM
:sigh: I feel dizzy... will someone else in the North West take over my blwoing for a few minutes?

Hope they are home soon :yes: Can you get a ferry from spain?

keith
17-04-2010, 09:42 PM
Well they've luckily been allowed to stay in the villa for another week and they've booked to return in a weeks time (hoping that things are ok by then!!!)

I really feel for them :(

josh.p.
17-04-2010, 11:00 PM
:sigh: At least they have comfortable surroundings. Must be very stressful being stuck though. :sigh:

Dawn
18-04-2010, 07:24 AM
I know 4 families stuck abroad now and my mum's friend is stranded in Australia and is a teacher due back at school tomorrow. :eek:

Never mess with mother nature. She always wins.

Dawn
18-04-2010, 07:43 AM
Can you get a ferry from spain?

Yes but they are all fully booked until Wednesday at least.

josh.p.
18-04-2010, 09:40 AM
I know 4 families stuck abroad now and my mum's friend is stranded in Australia and is a teacher due back at school tomorrow. :eek:

Never mess with mother nature. She always wins.
I know a few people stuck in England, but they've got it easy compared to those abroad with families :yes:

Claire
18-04-2010, 10:30 AM
My next door neighbours are stuck at Calais. They have a confirmed booking to sail but they say it's so chaotic they can't even get near check-in.

Dawn
18-04-2010, 10:31 AM
And of course piles of food are rotting away because they can't be flown to the places that have bought them.

No airmail post is going anywhere.

Etc, etc...

I blame Iceland. :D

josh.p.
18-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Why can't we just get a HUGE plug and plug up the volcano? :unsure: :wink:

lisaw
18-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Why can't we just get a HUGE plug and plug up the volcano? :unsure: :wink:

Believe me if this is still going on in August that is exactly what I will be doing - even if I have to travel to iceland by dinghy to do it!

:fingers: the winds start blowing the other way and things get back to normal for everybody asap.

Tink
18-04-2010, 01:53 PM
Memories of St. Helen's... :sigh:

It's incredible isn't it? The level of disruption when we take out a single form of transport/communication?

We saw a brief report on it yesterday (after all the volcano is not nearly as important as who is dancing with what star :sigh: ) and it looked pretty active and terrible. Impossible to fathom with boiling lava amidst a blizzard...

Sending ...eeesh I guess no more dust is needed... will continue to carry our Doc and his family in our heart and hope that they can have a positive (or mostly) experience from this.

keith
18-04-2010, 01:58 PM
It's been busy at work all weekend with the email service we provide. People are stranded all over the world, many of them have absolutely nowhere to stay and are camping out at airports or in some cases, kicked out of airports and just wandering round !

Apparently the British Embassy round the world is doing, well, nothing much (so people are telling me) and insurance companies are 50/50 as to whether they'll cover out of pocket expenses. Some are saying it's "adverse weather" which is covered but others say "act of God" which isnt.

Airlines who I THOUGHT would be paying for additional accommodation, are saying "book somewhere yourself, keep the receipts and apply when you get back home" :/ but some people don't have the money and others cant find anywhere anyway!

We've been getting emails from people begging us to contact friends/family on the traveller's behalf and ask them to send money or anything they can etc.

It's a mess of staggering proportion and only getting worse the longer people are stranded.

Tink
18-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Good grief! Why isn't a disaster situation being declared? That would open up shelters and that sort of aide?

keith
18-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Good grief! Why isn't a disaster situation being declared? That would open up shelters and that sort of aide?

I truly don't know!

There was a mother with 3 kids emailing yesterday from an internet terminal in an airport. Her phone doesn't have international roaming, she's been trying to use pay phones but can't get in touch with anyone and although she's emailed her work colleagues, they probably wont see it until Monday. She was saying that she just doesnt have the money to book a hotel and anyway, a lady in the airport tried for her but couldnt find anywhere. On Thursday she was thinking well it's a few hours but now she's thinking what if it's weeks!

She was so panicked that she was talking to us because we were the only people answering emails and since all we are is her email provider that shows the desperation.

Surely if you were in this situation you'd assume your government would be giving some help? wouldnt you? :unsure:

Tink
18-04-2010, 02:12 PM
Yes. You would most certainly think so. The whole thing is elevating to chaos it seems. Without being overly dramatic it's a situation ripe for terrorist attempts...

If those who are stranded were provided for, even in a mass shelter sort of situation, then the chaos would be under some level of control.

Government should definitely be involved. Hell, its interested enough in my bedroom, why isn't it interested in stranded people who have no means to return to their homes? Seems a little more important to me, than who is sleeping with whom and who is marrying whom. :shrug:

ukwdwnut
18-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Surely if you were in this situation you'd assume your government would be giving some help? wouldnt you? :unsure:

says everything about this government doesnt it :( now if it was for another country to get some browny points [no pun intended lol] they would jump at it....ive ALWAYS said charity starts at home

keith
18-04-2010, 02:15 PM
isn't THAT the truth :yes:

Seems big government is only interested in interfering not solving the big problems.

You'd have thought there'd be *SOME* options the experts could come up with wouldn't you? fly into western Ireland and boat people back, whatever, SOMETHING!

Tink
18-04-2010, 02:32 PM
There you have it Keith and much more cleanly said than my rant. Interfereing instead of solving... that's the governments of today, regardless it seems, of which western country we are talking about.

Is there something "we" (those not stranded) can do? Can we start reaching out publickly and demanding that something be done for these folks? Shelters, free meals, ect?

I KNOW it has to be an issue here, as some of the British flights have already been canceled (return flights). We are headed into "season" so the hotel rooms will start to get scarce, although right now it might not be as huge an issue as in other places.

If the "new reservations" can't come in, then there will be room for the current people who are stranded. Of course, that all depends upon their ability to come up with funds isn't it?

What a rough way to have to learn that your credit card is maxed, or your emergency stash isn't sufficient... I know at the end of a holiday I'd be in trouble if this happened to me. I do carry an "emergency only card" though, but still... that's going into debt and I really wouldn't want to have to do that.

MystikPiglit
18-04-2010, 03:08 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking...... :unsure:

It is an international disaster after all. I really feel sorry for anyone with children in tow.

keith
18-04-2010, 03:12 PM
Virgin have a facebook page and I've been reading some of the comments:

"Sharon Adey
im stuck in los angeles with my 13 year old daughter, im due to fly to heathrow on monday but doesnt look good, i have no money and no credit cards so what do i do??, trying to get hold of tour operater but to no avail, does any1 know what i should do?? xx"

"Shantanu Bhagwat
Btw, I've been on hold on the Virgin customer service number +1 800 862 8621 for the last 2.5 hrs. Incredibly annoying."

"Charlotte Kerr
Not sure if this has already been posted but I found this on the BBC news website:

A Foreign and Commonwealth Office 24-hour consular helpline has been set up on 020 7008 0000 for people stuck abroad."

So it seems they've set up a helpline at least :/

Britchick
18-04-2010, 04:54 PM
a friend of mine is stuck in orlando and has been told that the next flight they can have is April 30th!

Dawn
18-04-2010, 05:37 PM
That's nearly 2 weeks!!!! :thud:

Britchick
18-04-2010, 05:45 PM
That's nearly 2 weeks!!!! :thud:

I know, they are able thank goodness to afford it, they've got a villa off someone for a very good price so luckily things not too bad. i was just about to try and find someone on here for her. I think their son is the same age as Dan so will be doing GCSEs in a months time- not good.

daveann
18-04-2010, 05:57 PM
WHAT!!! we dont go until 24th and fly back on the 1st May so they fly back the day before us and we havent even flown out there yet :) good grief ...

keith
18-04-2010, 06:12 PM
kinda looks like a gap to me :/ but I bet they can't use it because all the staff have been told to go home, travellers planes cancelled already etc

Dawn
18-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Yep by the time they get passengers to the airport and checked in and through security the gap will have gone. :sigh:

keith
18-04-2010, 06:19 PM
Apparently the EU equivalent to the air safety board has said it expects many more flights in their region to go tomorrow and some pilots are posting in their online forum that they think it's getting to the stage where they should go for it and "work the flight levels".

Meanwhile on facebook I can see flight staff saying this is the first time theyve had off for ages and some have been told not to come back into work until Thursday.

hmmm!

josh.p.
18-04-2010, 06:34 PM
Apparently KLM, among other dutch airlines (why do dutch people seem to do everything first?) have run test flights right through the ash and have been fine, but in the long-term a few flights through the ash cloud would mean a plane that uses more fuel than usual, because of the degraded fans.

keith
18-04-2010, 06:36 PM
I believe BA have run a test this evening as well

I kinda still wonder if they can't fly from Manchester staying a little lower than normal (ok yeah using more fuel) until they're past the problem and then go to their cruising altitude.

Kate
18-04-2010, 06:57 PM
What a big mess, those poor people stuck everywhere is just awful :sigh:

josh.p.
18-04-2010, 07:03 PM
I believe BA have run a test this evening as well

I kinda still wonder if they can't fly from Manchester staying a little lower than normal (ok yeah using more fuel) until they're past the problem and then go to their cruising altitude.
That's what I totally don't understand. Surely there is a reason for them not doing that. :unsure:

keith
18-04-2010, 07:17 PM
That's what I totally don't understand. Surely there is a reason for them not doing that. :unsure:

They said that it would use more fuel (I Dont care, do it anyway!) and that there was still ash in the lower levels not just in the upper (but enough to cause a problem?)

Dunno, obviously we're not the experts but I just wonder if they all just thought well we'll leave it a day and see if the wind changes

Claire
18-04-2010, 07:27 PM
They said that it would use more fuel (I Dont care, do it anyway!) and that there was still ash in the lower levels not just in the upper (but enough to cause a problem?)

Dunno, obviously we're not the experts but I just wonder if they all just thought well we'll leave it a day and see if the wind changes

It's fuel burn, pure and simple. If an aircraft flies at low altitude it's much less fuel efficient. The air is thicker, causing more drag, more drag needs more power, more power needs more fuel. With a full load it probably won't reach it's destination. The aircraft would also fly much slower You'd be looking at stopping to refuel. DH described it as me driving my very thirsty diesel at 30 mph in third gear everywhere.

DH also said something about airspeed at different altitudes but I got confused. :unsure:

keith
18-04-2010, 07:30 PM
It's fuel burn, pure and simple. If an aircraft flies at low altitude it's much less fuel efficient. The air is thicker, causing more drag, more drag needs more power, more power needs more fuel. With a full load it probably won't reach it's destination. The aircraft would also fly much slower You'd be looking at stopping to refuel. DH described it as me driving my very thirsty diesel at 30 mph in third gear everywhere.

DH also said something about airspeed at different altitudes but I got confused. :unsure:

Sure thing I know the physics of it but we're not talking 5000 feet for 5000 miles here, we're only talking a lower altitude until they can get out of the way of the ash which looking at the charts isn't far at all (if we're talking manchester across the atlantic to Orlando for example)

Britchick
18-04-2010, 07:37 PM
i'm sure that it's cheaper to burn more fuel than lose all the money they are. A little bit in the back of my mind is screaming CONSPIRACY!!!

Claire
18-04-2010, 07:40 PM
Sure thing I know the physics of it but we're not talking 5000 feet for 5000 miles here, we're only talking a lower altitude until they can get out of the way of the ash which looking at the charts isn't far at all (if we're talking manchester across the atlantic to Orlando for example)

I guess they could if they were going towards the States but as the cloud now covers a large part of northern Europe it wouldn't clear it until past Russia or beyond Spain/Italy. I guess I was thinking of Europe more when I answered as DH is grounded in Berlin.

Britchick
18-04-2010, 07:42 PM
did everyone see Dan Snow's efforts??

BBC News - TV historian rescues stranded travellers (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8628653.stm)

bloomin stupid people stopped it though!

Britchick
18-04-2010, 07:59 PM
National Georgraphic channel - the BA flight that crashed due to volcanic ash

keith
18-04-2010, 08:11 PM
I guess they could if they were going towards the States but as the cloud now covers a large part of northern Europe it wouldn't clear it until past Russia or beyond Spain/Italy. I guess I was thinking of Europe more when I answered as DH is grounded in Berlin.

yeah for sure it would work better across to the states :( but still yah know, it's *something*

I just don't feel they're REALLY trying yah know?

Britchick
18-04-2010, 08:17 PM
Jon says that they're planning on flying people into Spain then getting them back that way, would be nice if we had a Navy to use!

keith
18-04-2010, 08:18 PM
would be nice if we had a Navy to use!

:yes:

Claire
18-04-2010, 08:20 PM
yeah for sure it would work better across to the states :( but still yah know, it's *something*

I just don't feel they're REALLY trying yah know?

I know. :sorry: If they were to try it they would have to only use 4 engined jets. All the twins have to fly the great circle route up over Scotland and around past Iceland, Greenland and Canada as they can't go more than 180 mins from land which obviously isn't an option. If you throw in all the rules about different aircraft types and flying distances my DH likened it to having hundreds of trucks in the outside lane of the M25 with no brakes! :thud:

Britchick
18-04-2010, 08:23 PM
having hundreds of trucks in the outside lane of the M25 with no brakes! :thud:

aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh The A1 !! nuff said:tongue:

keith
18-04-2010, 09:28 PM
BA test flight fine - big surprise there, like we didnt all die of swine flu, bird flu and planes havent crashed when I've left my cell phone switched on :)

LONDON, April 18 (Reuters) - A British Airways (BAY.L) test flight, carrying five people including BA Chief Executive Willie Walsh, encountered no difficulties, the airline said on Sunday.

The Boeing 737 took off from London's Heathrow airport shortly before 1700 GMT and stayed at 40,000 feet for an hour, before flying over Ireland and landing in Cardiff at 1941 GMT after volcanic ash turned much of Europe into a no-fly zone.

"The conditions were perfect and the aircraft encountered no difficulties. It will now undergo a full technical analysis at British Airways' engineering base at Cardiff," the airline said in a statement. (Reporting by Caroline Copley; Editing by Alison Williams)

catrancher
18-04-2010, 09:56 PM

Keep in mind that a 747-400 will cruise at around .85 to .86 Mach (654.63 mph) at a cruise altitude of 35,000 to 39,000 feet. :airplane:

At least that's pretty close without getting into a discussion of temperature, density, pressure and all the lovely nonsense which goes into a discussion of things like density altitude.

That same aircraft is required to stay below 250 knots (287 mph) at or below 10,000 feet. :jawdrop:

And when they have to do that, fuel consumption goes through the roof!

Tom (:macwave:... technobabble! :geekon:)

keith
18-04-2010, 10:24 PM
That same aircraft is required to stay below 250 knots (287 mph) at or below 10,000 feet. :jawdrop:

And when they have to do that, fuel consumption goes through the roof!

For sure :yes: but, and I wish I had a handy map, but Manchester is pretty close to the ocean in flight terms :lol: and I'm thinking they wouldnt get to cruising altitude until they were over the water anyway.

I mean I'm not suggesting they skim the ground for 1000 miles or anything ;)

Britchick
18-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Ha, low level in an airliner!

keith
18-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Ha, low level in an airliner!

:yes: :lol:

Tink
18-04-2010, 11:57 PM
Seems as though they may have to try something like that if the volcanic action continues.

Rumors have it that Disney is sending ships. Has that been on the news there?

Sharni Tinkerbell
19-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Hi Everyone

I know a lot of people are having there dream holidays shattered at the moment including us. I just wanted to say that I am sorry if this has affected you as well. I am worried that after such a long time saving up we wont be able to go, however I hope everyone gets home safe with there families soon. I have relatives stuck everywhere and it's not nice because we can't help.

I'm blowing as hard as I can till my eyes pop out xxxxxx

Sharni Tinkerbell xxxxx

keith
19-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Rumour is that Airspace will open tomorrow:
Scotland 06:00
midlands 12:00
Southern 18:00

Only a rumour at the moment and aircraft all over the place but fingers crossed that it's progress

Slowhand
19-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Rumour is that Airspace will open tomorrow:
Scotland 06:00
midlands 12:00
Southern 18:00

Only a rumour at the moment and aircraft all over the place but fingers crossed that it's progress

I REALLY hope that`s the case Keith. :fingers:
We could even have a bit of a lie in before our flight tomorrow on that basis which would be a novelty! :lol:

daveann
19-04-2010, 02:36 PM
We could even have a bit of a lie in before our flight tomorrow on that basis which would be a novelty! :lol:
Have you had any details on your flight yet i know thomsons have canceled all tomorrows flights :(
Ive got a lovely spot booked at gatwick airport carpark for a week bring your own deck chair ive paid for it so im gonna flippin use it :)

keith
19-04-2010, 02:40 PM

official NATS update due in 20mins or so... fingers crossed!!!

Slowhand
19-04-2010, 02:46 PM
Have you had any details on your flight yet i know thomsons have canceled all tomorrows flights :(
Ive got a lovely spot booked at gatwick airport carpark for a week bring your own deck chair ive paid for it so im gonna flippin use it :)

Just waiting on the latest update from VA which is due for 5.00 pm today. :fingers:
Ok if it comes to it I`ll bring down a bottle of wine to help us to while away the hours at Gatwick....oops, just thought, we`re flying from Manchester. :lol: [Another time eh?]

keith
19-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Official word from NATS now, scotland airports allowed to open 7am through to midlands 12 and southern England by 6pm

Fingers crossed ! Interesting to see what Virgin say at 5pm

Slowhand
19-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Official word from NATS now, scotland airports allowed to open 7am through to midlands 12 and southern England by 6pm

Fingers crossed ! Interesting to see what Virgin say at 5pm

:fingers:, :fingers: and triple :fingers:

daveann
19-04-2010, 03:19 PM
well im secretly dancing but got my fingers crossed things start to move now :)

keith
19-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Manchester airport to open 9am tuesday!

Check with airlines regarding your flights

Dawn
19-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Six teachers missing on first day back at school today. Twenty one classes in school and six teachers stuck overseas including one lucky soul in Antigua. It's been a strange day. :sigh:

Tinker
19-04-2010, 04:21 PM
My thoughts & prayers are with those stranded over the pond and those stuck here in the US . Hoping things get back to normal quickly . Mother Nature has not been very nice to sooo many countries these days . :hug2:

Shellyamc
19-04-2010, 05:52 PM
What a mess..I can't believe it has gone on so long.

Keeping our fingers crossed that everyone is home safe and sound very soon!!

We have the opposite problem at the moment. My sister-in-law's partner is trying to get back to the UK to see her Father who is doing very very badly at the moment and she can't find any way to get there. She is hoping to find a way before it is too late :sigh:

josh.p.
19-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Just looked at the virgin site and no update yet. Fingers crossed. What time is your flight tomorrow Slowhand?

kazzaqld
20-04-2010, 07:51 AM
How are they doing Dawn - have you heard?

They are in my thoughts a lot - if you are talking to them, please let them know I am thinking about them and hoping they are keeping their spirits up! :wave:

Tink
20-04-2010, 12:08 PM
Same here! Let them know we are ALL worrying about them, and hope they return home safe and sound (and soon)!

keith
20-04-2010, 12:31 PM
They're coping and have a flight back on saturday, though not to the airport where their car is :/ and of course they're hoping THAT flight is ok and not cancelled.

To be honest, talking to Chris, it's really brought home to me how awful it is. I'd thought perhaps once they had a flight booked they could relax a bit but it's costing them an absolute fortune, they have work that's being missed, school and theyre completely uneasy because the flight on saturday may not happen. There's just absolutely no certainty for them at all.

They REALLY need serious :pixiedust: to get home soon

keith
20-04-2010, 12:37 PM
How are they doing Dawn - have you heard?

They are in my thoughts a lot - if you are talking to them, please let them know I am thinking about them and hoping they are keeping their spirits up! :wave:

I told them about the thread and that we were all wishing them well. Chris said to send you all his love and say thanks and hopes to be back here very soon :yes:

Slowhand
20-04-2010, 12:45 PM
This is terrible what they are going through.....and I thought that I had problems yesterday!
Here`s to a happy ending. :pixiedust:

uscwest
20-04-2010, 01:06 PM
:pixiedust::pixiedust:Good grief. Here's hoping they get home soon.

Tink
20-04-2010, 01:15 PM
It's just so wrong. :( I know that there was no way to foresee a natural event, but for them to have this happen, particularly NOW was just so wrong.

I'm sure that there is no form of relaxation in this. How can there be? They are doctors and loads of people rely on them for their quality of life, and care. :(

I sure hope they are able to get out on Saturday, although I was really hoping that a flight would come open sooner. :(

keith
20-04-2010, 01:42 PM
The whole thing has been a nightmare and mismanaged as well.

The PM was on the news a few minutes ago saying that Madrid was a hub and if people got there arrangements would be made. I texted Chris who called and was told that they'd been inundated with calls, all flights to madrid had been booked up solid and there was no information about what would happen to people who got to madrid anyway! So they could try and get there only to find they have nowhere to stay and no transport home from there!

Where's the organisation?

Meanwhile in other parts of the world, UK tourist visas are expiring and the people are being treated horribly. This from someone trapped in Russia (personally I'm all for the English embassy taking a few armed soldiers along to the hotel, liberating the British citizens however they have to do it, and taking them back to stay at the Embassy.)

"we are being treated like prisoners and are currently being held under armed guard in a hotel near the airport.

She said everybody who was on the flight, including young children, have been confined to one corridor of a hotel and as they do not have any visas, they are not allowed to leave their hotel rooms apart from when they are escorted by armed guards to the hotel's restaurant for food.

Moira added that the longest they had been outside was 15 minutes when they were allowed onto a balcony"

arkvilla
20-04-2010, 01:53 PM
The BA flight 2036 is airborne. Left ORL at 8.00am for Gatwick.

Fingers crossed things start to move now

Sandra

ukwdwnut
20-04-2010, 02:53 PM
i cant believe so many people have been calling this a conspiracy to keep planes on the deck :lol:

MystikPiglit
20-04-2010, 02:56 PM
:pixiedust: and :comfort: to anyone that is affected by this disaster.

mumof2
20-04-2010, 04:14 PM
I also saw on the news a school party in..... Hong Kong, China or somewhere like that.... I can't remember now. They were running classes in the hotel, visas were expiring and they have to wait for the British Embassy to help them out. I suspect this is happening a lot.

I also heard of a school party stuck in Spain and thought of Jamie when he went on his school trip a couple of years ago. He wasn't impressed with his hotel (nor were any of them) and he'd be going NUTS if he was stuck there, although they were on a coach so that thought is irrelevant anyway!

I was really rather hoping Chris, Lisa and the boys would be rescued by one of the army ships, at least the boys would have had that experience to remember....:hug2:

keith
20-04-2010, 04:39 PM
I was really rather hoping Chris, Lisa and the boys would be rescued by one of the army ships, at least the boys would have had that experience to remember....:hug2:

Chris phoned the Foreign office to ask if they should make their way to somewhere they could be picked up and was told basically not to go anywhere like Madrid because it was a huge mess, not enough places to stay and perhaps not even enough food!

Whilst Brown and Miliband were on sky news saying that there was massive capacity in terms of boats being sent and that madrid was the hub, Chris was on the phone being told by the foreign office that under no circumstances should they go there.

I'm afraid that Mr Brown and co are saying whatever they need to for political reasons whilst doing very little.

Britchick
20-04-2010, 04:49 PM
so we leave something like this up to the Spanish.............mmmmmmmmmmm I used to live in Madrid, their motto...........Mañana

I think the real people we need to go after with this is insurance companies. What is the point of having insurance if they hardly ever pay out. It's supposed to cover risk, bloomin' annoyed about it.

catrancher
20-04-2010, 04:52 PM
I think the real people we need to go after with this is insurance companies. What is the point of having insurance if they hardly ever pay out. It's supposed to cover risk, bloomin' annoyed about it.

No, no, no. You miss the point of insurance companies. The way it works is like this:

You give them money every month.
They find ways to keep from giving any of it back to you.

Greed at it's finest!

Tom (:macwave:... that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it!)

keith
20-04-2010, 04:57 PM

Exactly BC Exact-a-flippin-ly!

insurance=biggest legal scam going.

The government, since they like interfering so much, ought to be calling the insurances bosses in and telling them to all consistently cover it.

Britchick
20-04-2010, 04:59 PM
well perhaps we ought to do something about it. :yes:

mumof2
20-04-2010, 05:08 PM
Chris phoned the Foreign office to ask if they should make their way to somewhere they could be picked up and was told basically not to go anywhere like Madrid because it was a huge mess, not enough places to stay and perhaps not even enough food!

Whilst Brown and Miliband were on sky news saying that there was massive capacity in terms of boats being sent and that madrid was the hub, Chris was on the phone being told by the foreign office that under no circumstances should they go there.

I'm afraid that Mr Brown and co are saying whatever they need to for political reasons whilst doing very little.

Good grief. Mind you i suppose people will be making their way to wherever they think they'll get help, so it's a good job Chris was sensible enough to phone first rather than drag the family over there only to find themselves in a worse position than they are now.

Just listening to how BA have sent planes over from places like America and Australia, they will not be able to land at the London airports so will have to land at Scotland if possible or even other parts of Europe.....so they'll be no better off will they. :thumbsdown:

ukwdwnut
20-04-2010, 05:26 PM
keith, what do you expect from this lying cheating government...im still damn annoyed he was able to become PM without anyone voting him in, we should have had a GE as soon as blair resigned

Tink
21-04-2010, 01:47 AM
Good g-d, it's a terrible mess, isn't it? I simply cannot express how bad I feel for Chris and his family and how very frustrating it is to not be able to DO SOMETHING to alleviate the problem. :(

Insurance companies most definitely should be MADE to pay for this. How wrong is that if they get away without paying anything.

Needless to say, I'm one of the foolhardy ones that never takes out insurance (well, almost never :) ).

I hate all forms of insurance and only have what the law forces me to carry.

Shellyamc
21-04-2010, 02:48 AM
I wish there was something we could do :sigh:

So many of us all over the world and there are where we are not..:sorry:

Dawn
21-04-2010, 07:05 AM
Our school headteacher was stranded in India. She got a flight from there to Lebanon and from there she drove through to Syria where her daughter lives. And there she remains...

Tink
21-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Good grief. :(

There was just now on BBC a man being interviewed. He'd done something similar. Been traveling for days trying to get to Calais, where he is now in a five hour long queue. He's spent 4300 Euro on the unexpected travel. At least that's what I think he said. Surely he didn't say 43000 pounds! :eek: I didn't hear the whole report... so I clearly may have missed something.

I just want everyone to be home. This disaster alone will do more to kill the travel for leisure industry than anything! Can you imagine all those folks who may have been nervous about travel anyway, and to then have this happen? They'll never leave their homes again!

keith
21-04-2010, 10:38 AM
Great news though! Skywatcher and family are now booked on a flight and due in the UK around 1pm ish. Keep your fingers crossed that it leaves on time etc.

Tink
21-04-2010, 10:42 AM
:mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :mental: :mental: :mental: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: :tink: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust:

ukwdwnut
21-04-2010, 10:43 AM
fantastic news keith :fingers: they make it home today

Claire
21-04-2010, 11:17 AM
:pdust:Here's hoping for an uneventful journey for them.:pdust:

If anyone has any :pdust: left over can I have it for DH who's in Berlin? He's hoping to make it home Friday for Owen's birthday.

Tink
21-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Oh geez, Claire! :pdust: :pdust: :pdust: for your DH!

ukwdwnut
21-04-2010, 11:30 AM
:pdust::pdust::pdust:
:pdust::pdust:
:pdust::pdust::pdust:

arkvilla
21-04-2010, 12:07 PM
Fingers crossed Claire :pixiedust:

Sandra

Deb
21-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly now and they're home safe and sound very soon :pixiedust:

And Claire, I really hope your DH is home very soon too :hug2::pixiedust:

keith
21-04-2010, 01:01 PM
:pdust:Here's hoping for an uneventful journey for them.:pdust:

If anyone has any :pdust: left over can I have it for DH who's in Berlin? He's hoping to make it home Friday for Owen's birthday.

:pixiedust: really hope he makes it Claire. I know it cant be easy for you at the moment :hug2:

Claire
21-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks guys. :hug2: This week has been a bit of a rollercoaster!

Isafari
21-04-2010, 02:06 PM
:fingers: for your DH to get home in time Claire :hug2:

Dawn
21-04-2010, 02:38 PM
:mental: :mental: :mental:

josh.p.
21-04-2010, 03:07 PM
:hug2: Hope he is home in time for Owen's birthday :yes:

Dawn
21-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Some local authorities are making stranded teachers pay for the supply staff used to cover their classes. *there is no smilie angry enough to insert here*

Shellyamc
21-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Wow a roller coaster is right. The best and worst of people all at the same time.

Here is hoping everyone gets where they need to be quickly :hug2:

Britchick
21-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Some local authorities are making stranded teachers pay for the supply staff used to cover their classes. *there is no smilie angry enough to insert here*

the one i'm employed by is applying the adverse weather policy. I can't see how they can make you pay?

josh.p.
21-04-2010, 05:12 PM
If I was one of those teachers I'd be seeing my boss in Court.

Disneybumble
21-04-2010, 06:40 PM

I childmind and the mum is a teacher. They have travelled by train from france. She was sent a txt on Monday saying to the effect of "you're not in,you're not paid" don't care what has happened,tough.

Britchick
21-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I childmind and the mum is a teacher. They have travelled by train from france. She was sent a txt on Monday saying to the effect of "you're not in,you're not paid" don't care what has happened,tough.

where's the compassion? the person that sent that text is an idiot.

Slowhand
21-04-2010, 07:11 PM
I see now that the French and Spanish are cashing in on the plight of the stranded UK tourists by hiking up the costs in hotels, restaurants and car hire.
I really hope that one day us Brits can repay this sentiment to our EU "friends".

Jeez, the US has done more to help us Brits than our near neighbours!

Britchick
21-04-2010, 07:13 PM

and this surprises you? :unsure:

Disneybumble
21-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Txt was sent by head teacher.!!!!!!!

I have just read that someone paid £850 to hire a car from Spain through to Calais.

Slowhand
21-04-2010, 07:29 PM
and this surprises you? :unsure:
Not at all, nothing surprises me about these so called "allies", but certain countries have short memories of how we helped out in WW11.

kazzaqld
21-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Any more news on Chris and Lisa and the boys? :unsure: Did they make it home safely?

keith
21-04-2010, 10:44 PM
Any more news on Chris and Lisa and the boys? :unsure: Did they make it home safely?

When last hear they were hoping to board a plane at 11pm to Manchester (I think!) then hire car down to Gatwick. I've been in meeting throughout today so I'm just catching up on texts now.

It's going to be a long night for them, and heck it's been a long week for them, but I think Chris is just incredibly relieved to get back that at the moment he'll take anything!

REALLY looking forward to getting word from him that they're all home safe

keith
21-04-2010, 10:46 PM

Yep as is usually the case in my humble opinion.

I'd far rather associate with the US than the rest of Europe, it's not said in an offensive way but I simply think as a people we have more in common :yes:

(some of the horror stories I've heard about the prices EU people are charging stranded families for food etc. well, just disgusted)

Tink
21-04-2010, 11:22 PM
I sure hope they get home soon. :cry2:

That's what part of the BBC report was about, the exhorbitant prices the stranded travelers were being charged. :(

Beccaberry
21-04-2010, 11:45 PM
Still thinking of Chris, Lisa and the boys....would love to hear word soon that they are home and safe. :pdust: :pdust:

Tink
21-04-2010, 11:47 PM
:yes: :( :cry2: :pdust: :pdust: :pdust:

josh.p.
22-04-2010, 12:30 AM
I bet you all £10 Chris comes back with every level having *** on angry birds.

keith
22-04-2010, 02:35 AM
They're back in the UK! Just landed! :yes:

:10:

kazzaqld
22-04-2010, 02:36 AM
They're back in the UK! Just landed! :yes:

:10:

So pleased!!!! Bet that's going to be an interesting trip report!!!

keith
22-04-2010, 02:42 AM
So pleased!!!! Bet that's going to be an interesting trip report!!!

:yes:

Now there's Claire's DH to get home :pixiedust:

Shellyamc
22-04-2010, 05:16 AM
Finally!!!! That pixie dust is some special stuff :yes:

Now we are half way there!

Dawn
22-04-2010, 07:13 AM
So I can stop blowing!!!! :mental:

lisaw
22-04-2010, 07:27 AM
Great news!

ukwdwnut
22-04-2010, 09:53 AM
great news that they made it back....wow what an ordeal

Tink
22-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Wow. What a relief to know they are home safe. They must be shattered and happy all at once.

I hope they are getting some rest and not charging right off to work. :(

Now then! Claire's DH! COME ON HOME!!!! :pdust: :pdust: :pdust:

catrancher
22-04-2010, 11:19 AM
Yay! They're back! :wiggle:

And the crowd goes crazy!

:cheer: :wav: :cheer:

Tom (:macwave:... can't wait to hear this story!)

ukwdwnut
22-04-2010, 11:21 AM
I hope they are getting some rest and not charging right off to work. :(

nope chris is online so no rest there :lol:

welcome back chris

Skywatcher
22-04-2010, 11:28 AM
AW Thanks guys - never thought there would be 170+replies

OK I've been up for 36 hours and smell like a foot but my family are home and safe and that , at the current moment in time is really all that matters to me.

I can totally understand people who say ' but it was only 5 days..and you were on a lovely island, all I can assure you is that the second you 'can't' leave anywhere - the panic you feel is akin to that you feel when you temporarily get your head stuck in something ( :unsure: perhaps only the blokes will get that ). When you are on an island it is the only topic of conversation and your usual lines of communication are gone, we relied on people at home with internet as the island is about up to the point with internet access we were in the early 90's.

When I can focus and am less sticky I will write a bit more, but I wont labour the point - so many others have been through it, many worse - but its strange how you feel your animal instincts rise to try and protect your family, its weird.

Some Brits we met were great and chatty, whilst some of the cliques had already broken piggys glasses and the conch shell had stopped working ;)

In my head I knew the pressure to fly would win out in the end but the question was when.

The last point I make before becoming unconscious is the rescue plan from the airlines - you would have thought over the last few days they may have had a bit of thought about what they might all do, but nope when it all reopened it was worse than when it was shut..

We made a private deal with a guy who had 2 flights booked for his family, in order for the airline to change names at the late stage in the day... well it was far from cheap

I wont talk numbers as that seems crude but yesterday cost us the whole cost of the holiday over again and I doubt we will see a penny of it, as someone said earlier the temporising 'oh keep your receipts and we'll see what happens clearly smacks of them trying to wriggle out of it later on'

Oh and due to total lack of communication and people not cancelling or the airline not telling all those on the floor at the airport there were 25 empty seats on the jet we were on that landed at 3 this morning - completely inexcusable.

oh, and a few more as my brain is dribbling

- The lady at the FO was not polite about her PM :D
- Where they got there 150,000 Brits figure from I have no idea, Canarian hotelliers and villa owners got up to nearly 30,000 on those tiny islands alone and Heathrow have said they repatriated as many as 140,000 yesterday (hmm plus calais and the pointless 125 on that boat...) , plus for every Brit on the island there was at least 1 French and 2 German and 2 Scandinavian.... it goes on
- I really really feel sorry for everyone stuck in Orlando and the US as there is no chance whatsoever of them doing any 'catch ups'
- Best I don't talk about easyjet - they made me sit on a floor for 4 hours yesterday then opened there shutters , shrugged and started speaking to the people at the back of the queue :mad:
- Spanish time bears no resemblance to actual time and could end up proving Einstein and Hawking wrong
- Always pack more than 5 pairs of pants if you are going away and more than 1 pair of shorts
- always take a months worth of meds for your kids if they need them :(
- Nintendo DS's are the most brilliant invention of all time - thank you ,from the bottom of my sanity Mr Nintendo
- If you wish to stay sane take a book other than 'A brief history of time' with you
- No Angry Birds as apps try and connect to get ads :yes: when they cant they still pass a small amount of data to get the nogo by the look of it
- Take more than 4 DVD's

.. you get the picture

Anyway reading your posts made me misty eyed and I am deeply touched, we all are. We are so happy to be back home both in reality and here with you

Special thanks to Keith and Dawn , who have kept me the right side of actual insanity.

I await my o2 bill now with trepidation.

:hug2:

Thank you all xxx

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Skywatcher
22-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Oh and Manchester is further away from Gatwick than I guessed at and there is a LOOOT of trucks on the road at 4 am :eek:

Oh and hiring a car for what ended up being 3 1/2 hours worked out to be 'pricey' :lol:

catrancher
22-04-2010, 11:35 AM
Welcome home mate! We're delighted you and yours are back safely! :thumbsup:

Now, go to bed! :bed:

Tom (:macwave:... one less thing to worry about!)

Tink
22-04-2010, 11:41 AM
:hug2: :hug2: I am so glad you are here. I wish I could fully express that. :hug2: :hug2: I know it doesn't compare at ALL to what you've been through, but those of us "left behind" who had nothing to do other than worry and conjure up horrible scenarios ... you get the idea.

Please try to get some rest. 36 hours and running might be "usual" for a doc who used to be an intern, but it's still not healthy. :hug2:

Rest, rest and more rest, then come back and give us your social commentary on the experience. I've zillions of questions... for later.

Hugs to Lisa and the boys. :hug2:

(ONE pair of shorts?! :eek: :mental: OOOooeeeeee!).

Disneybumble
22-04-2010, 12:09 PM
Glad you're all back Chris. My nephew made it home last night, He is 13 and had been away with School on a hockey tour. His Mummy can now rest.

uscwest
22-04-2010, 01:05 PM
Glad to hear you are home safely Chris. Sorry to hear about the shambles at the airport and all the extra costs. I'm sure you must have been plenty tired trying to make that drive from Manchester to Gatwick.

MystikPiglit
22-04-2010, 01:20 PM
So relieved to hear that you are all safely home. :hug2:

Shellyamc
22-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Safe and sound...that is what we wanted and that is what we got. Safe and sound. Good news!!

Now did you read that part about not going anywhere outside the reach of a Secrets member?? Hmmmm? Did you???

Skywatcher
22-04-2010, 04:41 PM
:lol: Yeah, Mum has said she'll kill me if I mention Kenya in the next month.

Had a couple of hours kip but feel worse if anything - catchup tonight.

Trying to get some money back by cancelling my flight to Bristol Sat/Sun but am finding it difficult - see , thats daft it would instantly free up 4 seats for some poor souls stranded :rolleyes: All helplines are either shut or too busy and a lot are offering 'leave a message and we' get back' yeah right !!!

Thomas kissed the Mac when he got in :lol:

We are walking around with what feels like jetlag but we are just appreciating everything - garden has changed a lot in just a few days- lots of green bits out now.

Deperate for kids to get to school at last - Matthew may have missed Sats :unsure:

I will put some pics up when I get the chance took about 1500! but it kind of tailed off at the end, all the ones I took of the volcano at the beginning seem a little ironic now :lol:

keith
22-04-2010, 04:44 PM
Glad to see you back on and posting :yes: it all went very quiet without you you know? you're such a chatterbox! :lol:

catrancher
22-04-2010, 04:45 PM

Good lad! :thumbsup:

Really glad you're back. :yes:

Get what passes for your wits back about you and tell us all about it. I've never had to live in exile so I'm most curious! :taunt:

Tom (:macwave:... nope... haven't changed while you've been gone!)

Dawn
22-04-2010, 04:56 PM
:mental: :mental: :mental: :mental:

Steven has started his SATs this week. :unsure:

Hello :wave:

Isafari
22-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Great to see you back :hug2:

Britchick
22-04-2010, 05:02 PM
Glad to see you back mate :hug2:

is it too early to start hassling for a trippie? :tongue::taunt:

Skywatcher
22-04-2010, 05:21 PM
(To Dawn):wave: Hello mate, sorry not texted but landed at 3.30 and Keith was up and about as he doesn't need sleep apparently.

Having been driving on the 'wrong side' for 2 weeks, getting into a frosted up car on the roof of a Manchester car park at 4 am unable to see any of the controls and opening the door everytime I went to change gears was interesting; Gatwick was mental - lots of shouty shovey people trying to get away, stopped for some caffeine at Pease Pottage and by the time we were there you were already at school - Sorry I should have messaged :sorry:

By way of recompense I'll show you my photos of pigeons :D and possibly a blurred chiff chaff

Thank you for my lovely banner by the way - Lisa is very touched , just reread the thread.

The thing about our flights for Sat/Sun to Bristol was that up to Tuesday night nothing was moving at all and all the news was getting grimmer - new plume on the way, everyday people who were due home were going to the airport and being rescheduled and by Tuesday were being given mid may - All we kept thinking was if Saturday was cancelled we would probably be offered June - seriously.

Also the Bristol flight was a late night one, meaning the plane made at least 2-3 other flights in the day before and therefore had plenty of chance to be held up or cancelled during the day.

Tuesday was the worst day- government kept changing what their advice was, and no amount of 'go to calais' was going to get us off the island - there were a few flights to the mainland - Madrid and Barcelona but by Tuesday the cost of those for a famly of 4 was over €2000 , and that meant no accmodation or any way out of Spain - there were no trains out of spain, no boats and ever decreasing numbers of hire cars - from talking to people at the internet cafe ( 1 terminal) the cost of hiring a car was going up by €500 a day - there are so many Spanish cars in Calais now its crazy and a the very very best that would have been a 17 hour straight drive.

Oh and the coaches when they did materialise were ONLY for non EU flights that were diverted, so they wouldn't have helped us.

It has made me think about a lot of things - we did infact book a package as it happens, and as such it was the responsibility of James to look after us and to be fair their rep was brilliant and did all she could - if we had done our usual and booked separately it would have been a much worse situation, as the italians , Spanish and some French initially could still come they wanted the hotel rooms so people were kicked out. The accommodation offered by Easyjet was really not somewhere you would want to keep your kids, yes it was a roof over your head but from what I was told that was just about it - they were dirty, no facility to do any washing... ach I don't want to bore you.

Do we know if Claires DH made it home yet?

MystikPiglit
22-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Aw, bless him. :lol:

Skywatcher
22-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Glad to see you back mate :hug2:

is it too early to start hassling for a trippie? :tongue::taunt:

It was sunny on day one
We went up a volcano on day 2
We swam on day 3
We went to Loro Parc on day 4 which was awesome - definitely as good as Seaworld - seriously!
The Iceland volcano blew of day 5
for the next 6 days I went :mental: and spent all our savings

:unsure:

Is that ok :D :wink:

Skywatcher
22-04-2010, 05:26 PM
It was sunny on day one
We swam on day 3
We went to Loro Parc on day 4 which was awesome - definitely as good as Seaworld - seriously!
The Iceland volcano blew of day 5
for the next 6 days I went :mental: and spent all our savings

:unsure:

Is that ok :D :wink:

Oh and whilst it was sunny in the UK it piddled in Tenerife

Dawn
22-04-2010, 05:40 PM
I saw a sedge warbler. It's now my best.

keith
22-04-2010, 05:49 PM

so it was YOUR Fault!!! What on earth did you drop into it! :nono:

(I know, different volcano, but still!)

Skywatcher
22-04-2010, 06:22 PM
I saw a sedge warbler. It's now my best.

We saw some amazing birds of Prey but they were in a falconry display - it was amazing though and the amount of free flight they gave them was phenomenal - they were hundreds of feet in the air and took their own time to come down.

In the wild we saw - what was some sort of small grey warbler which may have been an Iberian chiff chaf from the book - hundreds of swift - sparrows and pigeons :rolleyes:, blue tits, great tits, black backed gulls (big!), grey wagtails, possibly a blackcap - I have a pic somewhere no idea how it came out. And when were were watching the dolphins something yellow perched on a tree over the other side of the pool - I was trying to photograph it but it was miles away - the photos are awful and it may be just a greenfinch and not a canary :lol: oh and turnstones on the rocks.

not much you wouldn't get on an afternoon on the downs really

Oh we saw something 'big' flying a way off, no idea what it was, certainly wasn't a chuffing plane

Britchick
22-04-2010, 06:48 PM
ha! glad you brought your sense of humour back :thumbsup:

josh.p.
22-04-2010, 07:46 PM
It's so great to have you home!!! :yes: Missed your witty posts!!

josh.p.
22-04-2010, 07:48 PM
oh.. and I did the unthinkable and got the full version of Angry Birds (I'm addicted, I knew I shouldn't have downloaded it!)

Guess who has *** on every game on the 1st level (In less than 2 days no less! :yes:)

Skywatcher
22-04-2010, 07:52 PM
very good I haven't turned on any internet functionality yet I am keeping my settings as they are- the screen says last cleared April 17th - amount of data 2kb - if they hit me with a 2k bill I can send them a photo of how much data my phone says was sent - bonkers - maybe

josh.p.
22-04-2010, 09:34 PM
You could always do a screenshot of it. Press the lock and home button at the same time :yes:

Skywatcher
23-04-2010, 06:32 AM
but would it record the date and time the pic was taken:unsure:

josh.p.
23-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Doesn't it say underneath "Last cleared april 17th"?

Skywatcher
23-04-2010, 06:34 PM
yes but what would stop me taking a picture on the 17th :unsure:

josh.p.
23-04-2010, 11:10 PM
yes but what would stop me taking a picture on the 17th :unsure:
ahh! Now I understand :rotfl: :doh:

Can you not take a picture with your phone on a newspaper? Seems a bit unfair you're stuck with no internet until your bill :sigh: