PDA

View Full Version : Now I`m a bit concerned!

Slowhand
26-04-2010, 11:05 AM
I`ve just received my car insurance quote from the brokers that I have used for many years which comes to £612.01p with Aviva. [Dunno what the 1p is for:lol:]
Folowing a search on comparethemarket.com I got a quote from Swinton Insurance for £248.23p which seems like one heck of a saving.
The excess is the same on both quotes and all else seems comparible.
It just seems too cheap...what d`ya think? [I need to get this sorted before we go on holiday as the insurance expires while we are away]

Decisions, decisions!

keith
26-04-2010, 11:08 AM
Were there a lot of others in the middle? Or were they all 600ish and then swinton out there on their own ?

josh.p.
26-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Is there not an option to compare their cover?

Slowhand
26-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Were there a lot of others in the middle? Or were they all 600ish and then swinton out there on their own ?
There were loads of quotes ranging from £248.23p up to £1,034.19p!!!
It`s just that Swinton were the first to send me a quote by email, but there were several others at around the same price.
Confusing innit?

josh.p.
26-04-2010, 11:25 AM
If there are a few others around the same price I'd say that it's pretty safe to go with one of them :yes: Swinton are known for being cheap :yes:

Slowhand
26-04-2010, 11:25 AM
Is there not an option to compare their cover?
As far as I can tell Josh, the cover is comparable to my current policy...same excess, provision of courtesy car, legal protection etc.etc.

keith
26-04-2010, 11:27 AM
I think the saving is too much to ignore! if there were others around the same price then it doesnt SOUND like a mistake so :D

Slowhand
26-04-2010, 11:30 AM
I think the saving is too much to ignore! if there were others around the same price then it doesnt SOUND like a mistake so :D
That`s what I thought Keith.
You know what it`s like though as I have been using my brokers for years [they handled the insurances for my company also] and they were very good on the rare occasions when I`ve made a claim.
BUT a huge saving like this can`t really be ignored can it?

keith
26-04-2010, 11:32 AM
That`s what I thought Keith.
You know what it`s like though as I have been using my brokers for years [they handled the insurances for my company also] and they were very good on the rare occasions when I`ve made a claim.
BUT a huge saving like this can`t really be ignored can it?

yeah I think it's too much to ignore. I mean there's nothing to say they won't be as good as your old place (although I know exactly what you mean there, if you knew in advance that they wouldnt be, you'd pay the extra as would I)

ukwdwnut
26-04-2010, 11:34 AM
terry ive found when youve been with one company for a long while they tend to take the P IT PAYS TO SWAP IT ABOUT A BIT EVERY COUPLE OF YEARS, I BET IF YOU WENT BACK TO THEM NEXT YEAR THEY WOULD GIVE YOU A CHEAPER QUOTE THAN THIS,,,oops caps on not changing it all now lol

i had a quote for mikey on a xara vtr last year for 2.5k this year same company 850 :unsure:

catrancher
26-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Why not tell Aviva what the quote from Swinton is and give them a chance to match it (or come close). Tell them that even though you've used them for years, if they can't come close to the Swinton quote, the savings is too much to ignore. Give them a chance to make good.

But that's just me talking and I'm too catatonic to make sense right now. :mental:

Tom (:macwave:... is it morning yet?)

mumof2
26-04-2010, 11:43 AM
flippin 'eck that's a huge difference! is it worth a call to your broker to see whether they can match it?

i'd go for the cheaper one i must admit. we get multiple quotes every year, in our experience all the insurance companies are as bad as each other!

Britchick
26-04-2010, 05:24 PM
I swap most years and now that i have quidco I get cashback too. Got £65 cashback from the cooperative and it was still the cheapest quote.

mumof2
26-04-2010, 09:09 PM
I swap most years and now that i have quidco I get cashback too. Got £65 cashback from the cooperative and it was still the cheapest quote.

hubby went with co-op and was meant to get cashback through quidco, don't think it came through yet although overdue....must remember to check that out.

Britchick
26-04-2010, 09:13 PM
It took a while Mairead, got it last month from September but it's free money!

josh.p.
26-04-2010, 10:39 PM
I'm fed up of car insurers tbh :sigh: It makes it totally unaffordable for me to get a car. I got a quote for a little micra and it was 2.5k! :thud:

keith
26-04-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm fed up of car insurers tbh :sigh: It makes it totally unaffordable for me to get a car. I got a quote for a little micra and it was 2.5k! :thud:

We've all been there my friend :yes:

ukwdwnut
27-04-2010, 09:05 AM

mikey had laurens cinquecento off her josh, insured it for 10m while he was a learner when he passed his test it actually went UP not down, your deemed safer with a qualified driver next to you when learning than when you pass your test and driving on your own. in any case the car was £1400 to ins they are one of the lowest cost cars to ins apparently, its a car and they get you from a to b and loads to the gallon

Tink
27-04-2010, 10:25 AM
We switched carriers after years with the same company for much the same reason. The savings was too good to ignore.

Obtaining insurance in FL can be challenging at best, so we stayed with the same insurer for years until they came out and said they were dropping home owners. We then started looking around for a new home owner carrier and found one to do all, home and car for less, so we went with the new carrier.

I've come to believe there is precious little reason to stay with a more expensive insurance company. It really is all about the rates (for the same coverage of course) with the exception of AllState (here in the US) who will cancel you at the drop of a hat (which then puts you into a very expensive high risk pool).

So, all that to say, go with the cheaper rate!

MarkE
27-04-2010, 02:33 PM
If you really want to give the brokers the comission (as that's all comparethemarket are), give them the details and see if they can match it. If not, move on.

Working for a UK based broker (Towergate), I can advise that it is just the 'big guns', ie AXA, RSA, and Aviva playing silly beggars at the moment - they are in a position of power and trying to force the market to increase in general after years of low premiums has led to 'small' (yet constant!) profits. Much like BP with petrol, the only way they'll learn is if everyone abandons ship!

josh.p.
27-04-2010, 03:45 PM
mikey had laurens cinquecento off her josh, insured it for 10m while he was a learner when he passed his test it actually went UP not down, your deemed safer with a qualified driver next to you when learning than when you pass your test and driving on your own. in any case the car was £1400 to ins they are one of the lowest cost cars to ins apparently, its a car and they get you from a to b and loads to the gallon
I passed in October and have only driven a few times since then :unsure: My Mum gets me insured on her car during the holidays usually so I can have my independence. I can't afford to run a car but as soon as I get a job my parents are going to buy me one. A few friends have KA's and they are cheap to insure too. Last time I got a quote for a cinquecento it was around 1.5k for a year :yes: I'd quite like a tiny car like that as it'd be cheap to run. Mum's is a clio and its around £30 a week or so when I'm insured on it it :thud: Of course if I was insured long-term it'd be cheaper.

ukwdwnut
27-04-2010, 03:52 PM
I passed in October and have only driven a few times since then :unsure: My Mum gets me insured on her car during the holidays usually so I can have my independence. I can't afford to run a car but as soon as I get a job my parents are going to buy me one. A few friends have KA's and they are cheap to insure too. Last time I got a quote for a cinquecento it was around 1.5k for a year :yes: I'd quite like a tiny car like that as it'd be cheap to run. Mum's is a clio and its around £30 a week or so when I'm insured on it it :thud: Of course if I was insured long-term it'd be cheaper.

thats dear for a chinq, wonder if it has to do with where you live as well.

mikey lowered the suspension on his too :lol:

as soon as you get a car insure it with a parent too that will make it cheaper.

the next car he got was a corsa 1.4 sport and it was about 1500 so the chinq quote you got was real dear :(

josh.p.
27-04-2010, 04:01 PM
thats dear for a chinq, wonder if it has to do with where you live as well.

mikey lowered the suspension on his too :lol:

as soon as you get a car insure it with a parent too that will make it cheaper.

the next car he got was a corsa 1.4 sport and it was about 1500 so the chinq quote you got was real dear :(
Ours wouldn't be kept on a drive :yes: I wonder if it will go down a tad because I'm 18. My sister's went down about £100/£150 when she turned 18.

ukwdwnut
27-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Ours wouldn't be kept on a drive :yes: I wonder if it will go down a tad because I'm 18. My sister's went down about £100/£150 when she turned 18.

mikes was kept on the street out back and he was 17 when he first got insured on it, he got the 10m bonus accelerator so a yrs NCD after 10m. might/should go down when your 18. try a quote with your age upped a bit to find out

josh.p.
27-04-2010, 04:37 PM
I don't think I've tried a quote since I've been 18. I'll have a look (although it will be pointless since I'm not getting a car anyway)

keith
27-04-2010, 04:49 PM
Well everything will help from under 18 and a new driver :) quite simply that's pretty much the worst position you can be in position you can be in (other than you know, being banned or something :lol: ) so every step you get away from there will reduce the premium. So it'll go down as you get older with the main benefits being at 21 and 25, but the real benefit will come from when you've had a few years no claims.

According to the ABI: “One out of every five young drivers suffers a crash within their first year of driving, and young drivers are 10 times more likely to be involved in a serious collision than experienced drivers.”

So you have to climb out from under those statistics, as sadly we all did.

Unfortunately being male doesn't help any either but trying to alter that to get a better quote is probably a step too far :lol:

Taking pass plus can help you quite a lot on some insurance policies (and next to nothing on others) Pass Plus scheme for car drivers : Directgov - Motoring (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/NewlyQualifiedDrivers/DG_4022426)

Getting a cheapy first car with third party/fire/theft instead of fully comp can help build up your no claims.

There's stuff you can do but yeah, it requires a bit of compromise

Britchick
27-04-2010, 04:59 PM
can't believe I'll be looking to insure one of our cars for Dan to drive next year! :unsure:

josh.p.
27-04-2010, 05:04 PM
can't believe I'll be looking to insure one of our cars for Dan to drive next year! :unsure:
When I phoned me Mum to tell her I'd past my test she was in work and she burst out crying in the middle of the staff room :rotfl:

keith
27-04-2010, 05:04 PM
When I phoned me Mum to tell her I'd past my test she was in work and she burst out crying in the middle of the staff room :rotfl:

probably thinking about the insurance :laugh:

josh.p.
27-04-2010, 05:06 PM
The pass plus doesn't work out worth it for me really :shrug: the insurers that *do* accept it usually have higher rates than those who don't :yes: It's not a nice situation to be in, but at least I have my license :yes: It's not worth the cost for me to use Mum's car full time, as she uses it for work, but out of term-time when she's not working it's handy for me to have it so she usually gets me insured for half-term :yes:

josh.p.
27-04-2010, 05:07 PM
probably thinking about the insurance :laugh:
:rotfl: My Dad was the one that did that as he'd been promising me a run-around :yes: I might go and do a compare the market quote to see if it's gone down any :yes:

keith
27-04-2010, 05:11 PM
It's not a nice situation to be in

It won't last :yes: it's just a right of passage so to speak

josh.p.
27-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Also, if I go to London I won't need a car!

keith
27-04-2010, 05:39 PM
Also, if I go to London I won't need a car!

very true!

Britchick
27-04-2010, 06:23 PM

you're saying i'd do something like that? me? LOL. I blub when i see him in a cadet uniform!