PDA

View Full Version : Ibooks uk

Deafjeff
01-05-2010, 03:11 PM
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone have update if we will have ibooks apps in the UK?

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 03:26 PM
or sure , but I expect it to be released at the same time as the iPad - as its one of the selling points of the iPad I expect it to go live with the ipad app store

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Actually Jeff you may have a good point - looking at the iPad on Apple UK they make no reference at all to iBooks as far as I can see and in the gallery it isn't one of the options to look at - hmm interesting - would be a serious flaw not to have this as its one of the reasons to get one for me :(

Deafjeff
01-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Me too :thumbsdown:

Deafjeff
01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Amazon to launch first UK iPad eBook store? | News | PC Pro (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/356602/amazon-to-launch-first-uk-ipad-ebook-store)

mmmhhhh

keith
01-05-2010, 05:37 PM
They've said it will definitely be happening but that they have to agree contracts with the publishers. I honestly think the lure of money will win and we'll get the book store, just perhaps not before the launch

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
mmm one of the links says that it will come but later - grr - than means no free Winnie the pooh for us then :(

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 05:41 PM
sorry slow post :lol:

Deafjeff
01-05-2010, 06:08 PM
mmmhh might buy it anyway and hope for best!

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 06:11 PM
mm maybe I'll get one from the states at least it will have WTP on it :lol:

Deafjeff
01-05-2010, 06:14 PM
hehe!

keith
01-05-2010, 06:21 PM
mm maybe I'll get one from the states at least it will have WTP on it :lol:

Interesting little question that isnt it.

Is the ibook bit an app, which I thought it was, or just a part of the itunes store? So will the US ones have it + free book and the UK ones not, or will the UK ones have the app but nothing or what

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 07:06 PM
All the screenshots on the uk site don't even have it as an icon :sigh:

keith
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM
All the screenshots on the uk site don't even have it as an icon :sigh:

sure :/ so I guess it's an app and we'll get a firmware update when the store launching the books to provide the app.

I suppose if I buy in the states Ill have the app but no way to connect to the US itunes to buy any books unless I can somehow open a us bank account

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Is it possible - and her I am venturing into the world of optimism rather than my usual cynicism that this may have something to do with the delayed launch :unsure:

keith
01-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Is it possible - and her I am venturing into the world of optimism rather than my usual cynicism that this may have something to do with the delayed launch :unsure:

we could certainly give them the benefit couldnt we! I mean if they knew they could launch with the bookstore by end may then it'd be very tempting to wait.

Im really going to have to check that the us ipads can connect to the uk store arent I :/

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 07:34 PM
The link I gave yo a while back seemed to suggest it was fine :shrug:

keith
01-05-2010, 07:36 PM
it did as in, login with uk account, all good but no one could REALLY tell since at the time there werent any apps to download anyway

fingers crossed though

catrancher
01-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Ok. Couple of points for all you book lovers contemplating buying in the US.

First, the iBooks app doesn't come with the iPad out of the box. When you first sync your iPad with iTunes you're given the opportunity to download the iBook app for free and they also throw in your very own personal copy of Winnie the Pooh.

Beyond that, the iBooks app works brilliantly with any number of other non-DRM ePub books. Over 30,000 of these are available from the Gutenberg Project (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page). For instance, I've got such arcane things as Peter Pan, The War of the Worlds, The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Frankenstein, War and Peace, and The Time Machine on mine. As all free ePubs. These were downloaded for free from Apples Book Store.

Additionally, I've got other ePubs that I've gotten from other sources that I've loaded onto my iPad via iTunes.

Hopefully, this will help clear some of this up for you.

I too am wondering if some of the delay for it's release in the UK was to get the publisher's agreements in line. I suppose we'll find out sooner or later.

Tom (:macwave:... still wish I had The Hitchiker's Guide!)

josh.p.
01-05-2010, 08:04 PM
None of this is putting me off getting one... I really do need to tone down on the fanboy-ness :yes: :rotfl:

I realised last night that with the exception of my camera, most, if not all of my tech is apple-made :yes:

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 08:07 PM
My screen saver will be. 'don't panic'

catrancher
01-05-2010, 08:17 PM
My screen saver will be. 'don't panic'

Here's the wallpaper on mine!

http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/members/catrancher-albums-posted-piccies-picture533-dont-panic.jpg

Tom (:macwave:... in need of muscle relaxant!)

Skywatcher
02-05-2010, 05:40 AM
Epic

Skywatcher
02-05-2010, 12:47 PM
Looks like they are working on it - also I see that iPlayer currently won't work - I know its impatient as it isn't even released here yet :lol:
UK publishers ready for iPad international launch | theBookseller.com (http://www.thebookseller.com/news/115972-uk-publishers-ready-for-ipad-international-launch-.html)