PDA

View Full Version : NLP

Deafjeff
01-05-2010, 03:13 PM
Hi,

I am wondering if anyone have had any experience with NLP? If so is it good? Does it work i.e reduce or stop the phobia all together?

PM me if you want to keep this in private etc

xx

Britchick
01-05-2010, 03:22 PM
It's a very interesting subject Jeff, not experienced it but have heard of the pros and benefits. Salesmen and conmen ( I didn't says word!!) use it to get people to buy or get information out of people.

In studies talking thearpies have been shown to be just as effective as medications.

I have had cognitive behaviour therapy for anxiety about flying and that worked very well.

Deafjeff
01-05-2010, 03:24 PM
Im going in for fear of height and flying......

Hopefully it will work...

keith
01-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Not had any personal experience other than a couple of courses on it at university but yes I believe it can work and as britchick says, can be used for good or evil!

DW had cognitive behaviour therapy to get over a loss of a relative and I was very sceptical but it worked extremely well :yes:

Skywatcher
01-05-2010, 03:34 PM
CBT can be extremely effective and should IMHO be far more available than it is at the moment

keith
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
CBT can be extremely effective and should IMHO be far more available than it is at the moment

I agree! I was completely amazed by how effective it was (this was after a lot of other "traditional" therapies I guess you could say which did nothing other than make things worse :/ )

Deafjeff
01-05-2010, 03:36 PM
IMHO? *sheepish!*

keith
01-05-2010, 03:39 PM
"In My Humble Opinion" :yes:

Deafjeff
01-05-2010, 03:40 PM
ah.....

I am now wondering if I should go for CBT rather than NLP :unsure:

Deb
03-05-2010, 05:49 AM
Jeff, I am an NLP trainer and it is indeed highly successful (and fast) for curing phobias. I know quite a lot of people who I can recommend as good at this - like many other things there are many people out there who set themselves up as being able to do this but aren't too good. Let me know where you live and I'll try to find someone I can recommend :yes:

Britchick
03-05-2010, 07:27 AM

Our PCT is currently training 10 practioners which is quite hopeful, just hoping they don't lose the funding

Tink
03-05-2010, 10:57 AM
There is a version of CBT here, called Dialectical Behavioral Therapy. It's not applicable to anything being discussed in this thread, just mentioning it as a matter of conversation. It's specifically meant to address the complex issues of the borderline personality disorder.

It's basis is cognitive, but the specifics are far more specific. Difficult diagnosis to treat and work with.

Britchick
03-05-2010, 05:26 PM
sounds interesting Tink, going to look that up

Tink
04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
Marsha Linehan was the "developer" of the approach. You might try googling her name as well as the therapy name. I saw its application when working for the state with chronically mentally ill adults. It's a tough approach, but if applied correctly, can actually save lives, and improve the quality of the client's life immeasurably. As with any other therapy, if applied improperly, can do more harm than good.