PDA

View Full Version : Sun lotion

Isafari
02-05-2010, 08:53 AM
This will be our first trip in the summer months to Florida.
If we wait until we get there to buy our sun lotion, what brand would you recommend? We wil probably be buying from Publix.
I'm asking because if they are brands that I've never heard of, I won't know if I'm buying something decent or rubbish!

Dawn
02-05-2010, 08:59 AM
Well we always use Tesco own brand. :shrug:

The factor scale is different between the two countries so we take what we know with us.

Deafjeff
02-05-2010, 09:01 AM
It is worth looking into P20....

P20 - The difference is clear (http://www.p20.co.uk/)

i have a friend who only buy this and it works really well...

Isafari
02-05-2010, 09:17 AM
The factor scale is different between the two countries so we take what we know with us.

I didn't know that! Thanks Dawn

It is worth looking into P20....

Thanks Jeff.....this one sounds promising:yes: It seems I can buy it at the airport too :yes:

Kate
02-05-2010, 09:18 AM
We buy our smellies when we are there, but i always take our sun cream with us!

foreverducky
02-05-2010, 10:58 AM
I tend to buy one made for the face and then another for the body, but then I am prone to break outs. My face one is from neutrogena and the body is a spray one from Coppertone (I believe). It's in a blue bottle that you just spray. Works great. Also, with my light skin I tend use something like 45spf or higher.

catrancher
02-05-2010, 12:19 PM
For the Florida sun in summer, you'll probably want something that's at least SPF 30 or 45 and probably more. The Florida sun can be brutal and even on cloudy days can burn you significantly. You'll also want to make sure that whatever you get, it provides both UVA and UVB protection.

For more information, see the Coppertone web site (http://www.coppertone.com/coppertone/index.jsp)

Tom (:macwave:... who's been burned more than once!)

Tink
02-05-2010, 12:26 PM
We've done quite a bit of research on this, as Herself's family is prone to skin cancer.

Neutrogena's Utra is the best performer here in the states. We use SPF 55, although you will have some research tell you that nothing over 30 is necessary. It goes on very dry and not sticky (which drives me mad). It doesn't make the skin break out, and I use it on my face as well (although there is one for the face too).

It's readily available (a plus, unlike the Bain de Soleil which we used to use and love) and is roughly $8-9 per tube.

We do find that there are differences in performance between brands, so we stick with this one.

One thing we've learned too, never leave the sun block/cream in the car. The intense heat breaks it down and reduces its effectiveness. We used to always carry a tube with us, but no longer do. Now we keep it handy inside the house by the door and grab it when we are leaving.

Rosie0610
03-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I quite like Neutrogena spray sunscreen. I think mine is 45 or 60 spf.

I also have an aveeno one that is nice. It's the spray 'instant dry' like Tink mentioned.

Britchick
03-05-2010, 05:02 PM
i use either the no ad which is available in most stores or the spray. Publix and walmart do their own which is cheaper than other brands

daveann
03-05-2010, 05:42 PM
a poncho :) now where is that evil smiley face :lol: