PDA

View Full Version : where/when to see the shuttle?

chipndale
06-05-2010, 10:35 AM
Does anyone know how long the shuttles will be operating for?

I really want to see one if I can and if its not possible I would settle for seeing them on the pad or at a museum or something. Will they have an area at KSC for the foreseeable future? any ideas?

ukwdwnut
06-05-2010, 11:33 AM
there are only a few flights left before the shuttles are retired...cocoa beach is virtually next door to the launch site so a perfect place to see a take off

heres a link to the scheduled launches from the nasa site

NASA - NASA's Shuttle and Rocket Launch Schedule (http://www.nasa.gov/missions/highlights/schedule.html)

Tink
15-05-2010, 10:35 AM
The last Atlantis went off this week. :(

Slowhand
15-05-2010, 02:16 PM
The last Atlantis went off this week. :(
Yep and it`s timing was perfect! :thumbsup:
We just had time to watch the lift off live on the tv, then scamper out to the pool deck of our villa to take some photos of Atlantis before heading off to the airport for our flight back home.
A perfect end to our vacation.

Isafari
15-05-2010, 03:06 PM
Yep and it`s timing was perfect! :thumbsup:
We just had time to watch the lift off live on the tv, then scamper out to the pool deck of our villa to take some photos of Atlantis before heading off to the airport for our flight back home.
A perfect end to our vacation.

:thumbsup: I did wonder if you were able to see it before you left.

Slowhand
15-05-2010, 03:08 PM
:thumbsup: I did wonder if you were able to see it before you left.
All it took was a quick phone call to NASA to make sure that the timing of the launch fitted in with our plans. :lol:

Isafari
15-05-2010, 03:21 PM
All it took was a quick phone call to NASA to make sure that the timing of the launch fitted in with our plans. :lol:

Lordy, you know the staff everywhere don't ya!! :wink: :lol:

ukwdwnut
15-05-2010, 07:36 PM
thats one thing i would have loved to have seen live, a shuttle takeoff :(

Tink
16-05-2010, 10:58 AM
It's great that you were able to see it Slowhand! :yes:

uscwest
17-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Glad you were able to see that Terry. I didn't even realize you were in FL.

gwennie81
18-05-2010, 04:19 AM
I remember the first time I saw a shuttle launch. I was literally shaking. It is a truely awesome experience. To see that rocket hurtling toward space with humans aboard is absolutely amazing. I think it is incredible the feats that humankind has been able to accomplish in the past 50 years. I can only hope that we will be able to continue that study and keep stretching our imaginations to the outer limits of this galaxy.

gwennie81
18-05-2010, 04:21 AM
In these situations you just have to think: WWWD? (What would Walt do?) HAHA! He would obviously want people to keep reaching for the stars!