08-05-2010, 08:44 AM
does anyone use mobile me and the cloud

Skywatcher
08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Watches thread as hasn't taken the plunge yet

tb2830
08-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Watches thread as hasn't taken the plunge yet

my friends hubby uses it :yes: going over later so if he explains in a language even i can understand then i'll pass it onto you :yes:

josh.p.
08-05-2010, 09:35 AM
Apple - MobileMe - Your iPhone, iPad, Mac, and PC. In perfect sync. (http://www.apple.com/mobileme/) << that's a pretty good explanation

I do have a subscription to 'the cloud' via o2 and it's a good service but I don't use it enough to justify paying for it (it's just bundled with my Edge access)

keith
08-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Yep I've had it since it came out and I know Tom uses it too :yes:

catrancher
08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Yep, sure do! And my DW. Although she's a little fuzzy on how it all works. We have a family account and each of us has our own Mobile Me address.

Keeps our stuff (bookmarks, contacts, mail accounts, Keychains, Notes, all in sync between our Macs, our iPhones, and our iPads. If I add a bookmark on my Mac, I almost instantly also have it on my iPhone and iPad.

It provides an IMAP mail service that I use as my primary mail account although I don't advertise the actual address. I have old POP mail accounts that I DO advertise then set those up to forward to my MobileMe mail. This allows me to have all my mail with a single interface on my MobileMe mail that I use on all my devices. Additionally, it gives me a web interface to my mail so I can check it almost anywhere, even without my own machines. And it provides me a photo gallery (http://gallery.me.com/twgower#gallery) although you can also get this kind of thing for free through Flickr and such.

It also gives me what's called my iDisk. That's like a disk drive, available from any of my machines, out on the internet. I use it quite frequently to post up things on here that I don't really want to put on the site permanently or, quite frankly, just don't know how to. Smilies for instance. I've got some smilies that I use in various places so I just host them on my iDisk and reference them from there.

Perhaps one of the biggest benefits however is the "Find my iPad or iPhone" functionality. With this, should I lose my iPad or iPhone, I can logon to MobileMe and it will tell me where my device is located. Roughly. Within about 100 meter radius. Then you can remotely set a pass code lock on the device, display a message or play a sound, or even remotely wipe the device.

It provides a lot of functionality and for me, I wouldn't be without it. :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... proud MobileMe member!)

Britchick
08-05-2010, 02:07 PM
i have subscribed for the free trial. How cool is that? I have been getting people to hide my iphone and then i find it lol

catrancher
08-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Ohhhh... make it play a sound too! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... what fun!)

Britchick
08-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Ohhhh... make it play a sound too! :thumbsup:

Tom (:macwave:... what fun!)

I did! i did actually lose it a few weeks ago- i was in the garden and left it out there! :unsure: I wish i'd had it then

having trouble syncing the calendars - i've followed all the destructions :unsure:

keith
08-05-2010, 02:22 PM
My phone goes everywhere :lol: I'm 24*7*365 on call and I'm known for "always being there" which is an awful thing really but anyway :lol: So the one time I went to the car and left my iphone on the desk, naturally they took and were in the process of hiding it when I got back :/

I sent a message to the phone remotely "I can see you all via cctv. BAD career move folks" and was just about to map it so I could go find them when they slunk back in with the phone :lol:

Ever since then they've been convinced there are cameras around the building :lol:

Britchick
08-05-2010, 02:30 PM
LOL Keith!

i've figured out the problem. I already have a google calendar set up and it doesn't want to sync with the mobile me one, is there anyway i can do it?

catrancher
08-05-2010, 08:27 PM
LOL Keith!

i've figured out the problem. I already have a google calendar set up and it doesn't want to sync with the mobile me one, is there anyway i can do it?

Not as far as I know, Brit. It's only setup to sync the calendars you have as native applications on you Mac, your iPhone, and you iPad.

Apple and Google aren't the best of buds these days. :unsure:

Tom (:macwave:.... what day is it?)

Britchick
08-05-2010, 08:31 PM
thanks, will transfer things :thumbsup: