PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck to all those sitting GCSEs

Britchick
16-05-2010, 07:49 PM
starting this week. I know there's quite a few of us with sons/daughters sitting them.

Just do your best!!!

:urthebest: :cleverstuff:

Good Luck Daniel and Robyn (sorry forgot other names)

foreverducky
16-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I may not fully understand your GCSEs, but I do understand school tests. Been in school so long I have forgotten when I started....so good luck! :D

josh.p.
16-05-2010, 07:57 PM
Good luck guys! You'll do fantastically! :yes:

Claire
16-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Good luck everyone. :fingers:

Debbie2
19-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Good luck to all. I am an exam inivigilator and have covered quite a few already. My DD is doing her AS exams at the moment - seems like only yesterday she was swatting for her GCSEs

Skywatcher
19-05-2010, 04:25 PM
OOO thanks Julie

Yep good luck all , I remember it all too well :mental:

*Bambi-Belle*
19-05-2010, 05:26 PM
Good luck to the kids xxxxxx and hugs for the Mums and Dads. xxxxxxx

uscwest
19-05-2010, 06:17 PM
I wonder what we here in the US can equate to your GCSEs

ukwdwnut
19-05-2010, 06:39 PM

There is no direct equivalent, although an American high school diploma (which sits about midway beteen GCSE and 'A' level) would be about your best bet.

Britchick
19-05-2010, 06:43 PM

i don't think there is an equivalent John. We have major exams at 16 - GCSEs (General level), (Dan is taking them in 11 subjects) and then they take another 2 year course of fewer subjects (3-4 usually) these are called A Levels (advanced level). When looking at applying for university they look at the grades they get for the general level as an indicator so it's important to get good marks. Some schools are starting to offer diplomas in a subject area though now - for instance health and social care.

arkvilla
19-05-2010, 07:19 PM
Ryan has done one - Religious Studies - one down, 17 to go :mental:.... between now and 25th June - he said his life is on hold until then

Sandra

Britchick
19-05-2010, 07:22 PM
i think everyone did RE Sandra, Dan's glad he never has to do it again! haven't counted how many exams to go though!

arkvilla
19-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I have had my ears chewed with how many exams he has to do.... tomorrow is Business Studies.. then Biology Friday, never ending moaning !!

Then after half term Arun's A levels kick in, so double trouble!!!

At least Kyle's SAT'S are over - it's been quite a year - not sure how we managed to plan it that way....

Sandra

Britchick
19-05-2010, 08:38 PM
i was going to say that was bad planning!! :seranade: LOL

mumof2
20-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Jamie had one a couple of weeks ago but tomorrow they start with a vengeance!

The thing he's most looking forward to is dropping each subject once he's taken each final exam! I find it odd though that our schools are doing it differently.

As I said, starting tomorrow Jamie can drop each subject once he's taken the final exam but my niece who is the same age and at a school less than 10 minutes from Jamies by car is finishing tomorrow and just going in for each exam.

How odd is that? :unsure:

arkvilla
20-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Ryan finished school last Friday and just has to go in for exams, but he has gone in a couple of times for revision classes.

He's already chosen his A Level subjects for Sixth Form ( as long as he gets the marks to get in..)

Psycology
Ethics
English Language
Media Studies

and they have to do General Studies as well.

They then drop 1 subject and the General Studies after 1 year

Sandra

Britchick
20-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Dan finished last friday and is on study leave. I actually think he is buckling down! I think the schools should all do the same to be honest. He's chosen Physics, Maths, Geography and History for A Level so fingers crossed.

josh.p.
20-05-2010, 10:08 PM
General studies was the bain of my life :sigh: It really annoyed me that it was compulsory and I found my other lessons gave me enough pressure without the worry of something that turned out not to be worth any UCAS points!! I got a C with minimal effort though :unsure:

He'll love Media Studies :yes: It is without a doubt my favourite subject but we're so far into the year now that it is perhaps getting a bit tedious with revision (but every subject is!)

Best of luck with the rest of his GCSE's, I'm sure he'll get into Sixth form :yes:

Britchick
23-08-2010, 07:36 PM
D day tomorrow :unsure: I'm more nervous than Dan!

mumof2
24-08-2010, 09:24 AM
yaaaay! how many butterflies did i have this morning?! :unsure:

Jamie did well, I'm so pleased....he's got the results he needs to get into college so that's a weight lifted! WELL DONE JAMIE!! :hug2:

Kate
24-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Great news - Well Done Jamie!!!!

Good luck to everyone else too, hope you all get what is needed! :hug2:

Claire
24-08-2010, 11:19 AM
Well done Jamie!

Tinkfan
24-08-2010, 11:45 AM
:wave: Just saw this thread, how did everyone do? Congratulations Jaime!!!:yes: it's quite different than what we do here. Colleges and Universities look at all 4 years of high school exams which are held in January and June of each year. The entrance exams are critical ( SAT's and ACT) Canada is similar only they have a grade 13 which is comparable to our first year of college.

mumof2
24-08-2010, 01:10 PM
thank you!

my 2 nieces have done well too, so all 3 of them have the required grades for college! :thumbsup:

Britchick
24-08-2010, 04:43 PM
I thought I was going to be physically sick ypthis morning but very pleases with the results, well done Daniel xxx

Well done Jamie

And well done Robyn xx