PDA

View Full Version : iVe played with an iPad

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 12:59 PM
:mental:

Old news for some on here but it was my first play on one so I'm excited.

Was at a cardiology meeting all morning and a collegue there had one and was taking notes on it using 'notes' which he then uploads directly to his appraisal and even Notes was an impressive app.

Had a play over coffee and we were nattering away

Its amazing how the brotherhood of giggling apple fanboys instantly brings friendship amongst strangers.

So I only held it for about 10 minutes but it has already , genuinely blown me away and I had very very high expectations :yes:

It is quite a bit heavier than I was expecting, but if anything that just makes it feel more classy and solid.

Typing felt very natural and I had none of the lag I was execting and I'm a pretty quick typist at about 40 - 50 wpm

There was no internet access there so didn't get online - he had iBooks which was just brilliant as was the marvel comic book app

He had a musical score app that Thomas will just love

The medical apps were also just astonishing

I am now if anything more imaptient than I was yesterday

Beccaberry
18-05-2010, 01:10 PM
I was totally ambivalent about them when they were first introduced, but after having a play with them... :mental: :mental:

Definitely want one :)

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 01:13 PM
I saw on Springwatch last night that Chris Packham was an :macwave: boy as well - I do like to point these things out to Lisa - She never ever goes :rolleyes: ;) - Thomas has started Macspotting as well

Maybe we could be Mac anoraks :lol:

Beccaberry
18-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Maybe we could be Mac anoraks :lol:

:ROFL: Nice!

catrancher
18-05-2010, 01:37 PM

Old news for some on here but it was my first play on one so I'm excited.

Was at a cardiology meeting all morning and a collegue there had one and was taking notes on it using 'notes' which he then uploads directly to his appraisal and even Notes was an impressive app.

Had a play over coffee and we were nattering away

Its amazing how the brotherhood of giggling apple fanboys instantly brings friendship amongst strangers.

So I only held it for about 10 minutes but it has already , genuinely blown me away and I had very very high expectations :yes:

It is quite a bit heavier than I was expecting, but if anything that just makes it feel more classy and solid.

Typing felt very natural and I had none of the lag I was execting and I'm a pretty quick typist at about 40 - 50 wpm

There was no internet access there so didn't get online - he had iBooks which was just brilliant as was the marvel comic book app

He had a musical score app that Thomas will just love

The medical apps were also just astonishing

I am now if anything more imaptient than I was yesterday

I hate to say "I told you so!".

No, I don't really hate it.

I told you so! :taunt:

Tom (:macwave:... Apple fanboy!)

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 01:40 PM
:lol:

Thew chap already owned 4 :lol:

keith
18-05-2010, 02:29 PM

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 02:42 PM
He said he had it with him all the time , and I can genuinely see me doing exactly the same - hadn'y thought of using it as a medical resource but the apps are designed to be used by docs at work - and although some of them are iPhone apps as they are predominantly text based this really doesn't matter as I can put up with slightly pixelated text - haven't used them on the iPhone as they are just too small to be really usable

MonorailMick
18-05-2010, 02:45 PM
how large is it ?

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 02:49 PM
Hmm of the top of my head I'd say about 10 inches long and about 8 inches wide - but thats just off the top of my head - I suspect there are much better stats online

josh.p.
18-05-2010, 03:18 PM
:D I knew you'd have that reaction :yes:

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I didn't :lol:

I think when people who are being sceptical start to see how many uses it has you will see them start to appear everywhere - much like the iPhone

The way he was darting is fingers around and moving things about reminded me strongly of Minority report :lol:

I really need to get a new e-mail account - my pop wanadoo account will be useless on on it but I don't really want to change my orange provider just atthe moment - is there a way I can do that?

keith
18-05-2010, 03:31 PM
I really need to get a new e-mail account - my pop wanadoo account will be useless on on it but I don't really want to change my orange provider just atthe moment - is there a way I can do that?

yep... I'll pm you later ;)

catrancher
18-05-2010, 03:36 PM
is there a way I can do that?

Sure there is. Easily. :yes:

Just get yourself an IMAP account. Apple MobileMe or Google Gmail as a couple of "for instances". Then go into your orange account on the web and somewhere they'll let you change configuration options. Set it to automatically forward all emails to your new IMAP account. That'll do it. :thumbsup:

But I see now that Keith is going to PM you later.
He may have some better ideas since he has a bit of an in with an internet email company. :ROFL:

Tom (:macwave:... have your email call my email, they can do lunch!)

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 03:45 PM
:D thanks Keith - you did cross my mind

I like the idea of having a separate e-mail for the iPad altogether - to my great embarrasment I don't know a lot about e-mail, I have always had the one from the broadband provider and 2-3 web based e-mail accounts.

May have a look at mobile me

Britchick
18-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Hmm of the top of my head I'd say about 10 inches long and about 8 inches wide -

which means it's really 6x4 in real life :tongue:

i want to get the periodic table app, not because i'd use it but it's very cool!

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Apple - iPad - View the technical specifications for iPad. (http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/)

pttthth !!

wasn't far off :lol:

Britchick
18-05-2010, 04:33 PM
9 days!!!

keith
18-05-2010, 04:42 PM
all I can say is, I was very surprised at how much smaller it felt than I'd expected! Heavier yes, but small enough to carry around I believe (I didnt expect it to be!)

Email - yep Im pretty well up on the various options ;-) I suspect mobile me will be in your future since it has other nice appley stuff like find my ipad/iphone etc. but I'll explain the options :D

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Yes I agree it did seem a little smaller but I wasn't disappointed by that, makes it more portable

For some reason in my mind it was the size of A4 but its not

Screen lock is a stroke of genius

keith
18-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Yes I agree it did seem a little smaller but I wasn't disappointed by that, makes it more portable

For some reason in my mind it was the size of A4 but its not

EXACTLY what I said when I saw it :yes:

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 05:14 PM
The :geekon: is strong within us.

Britchick
18-05-2010, 05:14 PM
i like the mobile me thing. it only works out as a fiver a month on the deal i've got- what can you get with a fiver?

Skywatcher
18-05-2010, 06:11 PM
Told Lisa all about it and she wants one now :lol:

Soon to be a 2 iPad family :yes:

catrancher
18-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Told Lisa all about it and she wants one now :lol:

Soon to be a 2 iPad family :yes:

See this post (http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/207695-post12.html).

And this one (http://wdisneysecrets.com/forums/208970-post5.html)!

Nuff said!

Tom (:macwave:... been there, done that!)

Deafjeff
18-05-2010, 08:06 PM
YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cant wait!!!!

pigletpete
19-05-2010, 05:52 AM
which ones did everyone get? wifi, 3g and size?

Britchick
19-05-2010, 06:41 AM
32Gwifi for me

Skywatcher
19-05-2010, 06:46 AM
64Gb wifi for me and it will be a 16gb wifi for my wifi (sorry wife :D) , All along I had planned on a 16GB but then decided to use it as a photo backup whilst abroad so decided on the extra real estate :D

Lisa is excited :D

Deafjeff
19-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Same as Britchick 32 wifi for me

Skywatcher
19-05-2010, 06:54 AM
Not sure if I've mentioned but I had a play on a 32 gb wifi yesterday :wink: :mental: :D

Deafjeff
19-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Not sure if I've mentioned but I had a play on a 32 gb wifi yesterday :wink: :mental: :D

I do believe you that it is amazing piece of technology but at the same time the concept is so new for me so it kinda hard to know how amazing it going to be until I actually played with it....

Skywatcher
19-05-2010, 07:27 AM
Completely understand my friend

I was still sceptical , even though Keith was saying 'you will not be disappointed'

But I predict you will love it even before you have turned it on. It is a thing of jaw dropping beauty.

Tink
19-05-2010, 09:17 AM
IamsonotlisteningIamsonotlisteningIamsonotlistenin g....

So, ummmm, depending on a few things aligning in my life, this iPad thingy, it would be good for someone to have who needed immediate access to particular laws and regulations, lists/checklists of things that needed to be done (not grocery list style, technical lists) managerial type of planning information???

Iamsonotlistening but thinkingmaybeIcan justify one maybemaybemaybe

Skywatcher
19-05-2010, 09:43 AM
:yes: it would be perfect for that from what I've seen

catrancher
19-05-2010, 11:39 AM
Tink,

The laws and regulations I assume you could get in a web browser.
The checklists and such might need a special app. Here's a link to one from the Omnigroup called Omnifocus (http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnifocus/). I use them as a recommendation example because their software is brilliant! In some arenas on the Mac, they're probably considered the Gold Standard. Both Keith and I use their products (OmniGraffle) and swear by it. They also have a little application called OmniOutliner (http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omnioutliner/) you may find interesting as well as OmniPlan (http://www.omnigroup.com/products/omniplan/). Any or all of these would fit your needs I'm sure.

The only problem is that they're not available on the iPad yet. The companies stated direction is to port all of their software to the iPad. And this is one company that if they say it, I believe it. Sooner rather than later. :thumbsup:

And by the way, I've got a 64GB Wi-Fi model iPad.

Tom (:macwave:... it'll revolutionize the road warrior!)